Red Sox 2009

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Did you catch Verlander last year at all?

He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.
Yup, and what a difference a year makes. He's good; always been good. You're not going to have any allstar performance every year in MLB as a starting pitcher, i don't care how good you are; especially when you're not getting the run support behind your efforts.

I can't tell you how many times alone this year Beckett or Lester (his last 2 starts being of note) had delivered a stellar performance, while the offense did squat to help their cause; yet they'll score 10 runs for Brad Penny. :surprised:

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Yup, and what a difference a year makes. He's good; always been good. You're not going to have any allstar performance every year in MLB as a starting pitcher, i don't care how good you are; especially when you're not getting the run support behind your efforts.

I can't tell you how many times alone this year Beckett or Lester (his last 2 starts being of note) had delivered a stellar performance, while the offense did squat to help their cause; yet they'll score 10 runs for Brad Penny. :surprised:
Run support makes all the difference... Look at Norris last night - completely sh*t performance - but won comfortably. Pedro Martinez got a hand last night too.

Best measures of a pitcher would be WHIP, ERA, K/BB... wins doesn't even come close IMO.

Verlander still possesed talent last year, but his performance was probably due to being abused in his rookie / sophomore years. Happens to so many awesome pitchers - but the really good ones rebound with nice careers. Same things happened to Erv Santana, Edinson Volq, etc... Wondering how Lincecum will fare next year, he is just insane.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Glad to hear that so far everything is ok with David Wright. This serves as a prime example though of how dangerous it can be.

Boston's own "Tony Conigliaro" is a story that demonstrates the sad reality of potential dangers involved. Since he was hit in the face, ear-flaps have become standard on the batting helmet. In the end, he suffered permanent retinal damage to his eye sight. What a shame, because that kid had an immense amount of talent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Conigliaro

Check out the hit by Mo Vaughn on George Bell (#8)....Damn

YouTube - Top 10 Baseball Brawls

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Man, watching Nolan put Ventura in a head-lock and punching him in the skull was classic!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I iremember that, none of the running away nonsense

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Youkilis on a tear today: 2 homers; 6 RBI. I enjoyed this 14-1 yankee thrashing. :D

This rivalry series always lives up to the legacy.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Glad you enjoyed it.

Hopefully you Tivo'd the game, so you can replay it when your season ends in about 7 weeks.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Glad you enjoyed it.

Hopefully you Tivo'd the game, so you can replay it when your season ends in about 7 weeks.
This decade: Red Sox > Yankees.

When you're eating your words in the end, i'll remember this post.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Battered In Boston

Burnett allowed nine runs and nine hits in five innings as he continued to struggle at Fenway Park.

Highest Road ERA
at Fenway Park
(single season, min. 10 IP)

Year IP ERA
Dennis Martinez 1977 10.1 14.81
Bob Feller 1950 10.2 14.34
Red Ruffing 1939 11.1 14.29
Willis Hudlin 1940 11.1 14.29
George Caster 1940 12.0 14.25
A.J. Burnett 2009 12.2 14.21

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
This decade: Red Sox > Yankees.

When you're eating your words in the end, i'll remember this post.
You lost all your baseball credibility when you predicted Youkilis playing shortstop. :toofunny:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You lost all your baseball credibility when you predicted Youkilis playing shortstop. :toofunny:
Lol!

This coming from someone that I never gave any baseball "credibility" to begin with. :laugh2:

I never predicted he'd end up at shortstop; I said he could play it if need be. Youkilis is one of the best players in the game. He's consistent, reliable, productive, and a team player. Say whatever you want about him, but that's the reality of it.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Sure...

You wouldn't know a baseball from that d*ck up your ass, my friend... You and the rest of Red Sox Nation!

YYOOOUUUUUKKKK!!!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sure...

You wouldn't know a baseball from that d*ck up your ass, my friend... You and the rest of Red Sox Nation!

YYOOOUUUUUKKKK!!!
You are a classless dipsh*t, Timber. Seriously, how old are you again? You're a classic example of an immature little punk.

If you wish to continue to be a dipsh*t, you can exit stage left from this thread.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
interesting start to a series

Game 1: yankees crush sox
Game 2: Sox crush yankees

God knows what game 3 will be

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
interesting start to a series

Game 1: yankees crush sox
Game 2: Sox crush yankees

God knows what game 3 will be
It's always entertaining. I'm looking forward to the game; however, unfortunately I'll have it on mute all night because i refuse to listen to that moron Joe Morgan.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You and me both, add in Tim Macarver from yesterday to that list.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
As much **** as I give you about being a Boston fan... I really am looking forward to this game... Couldn't ask for a better pitching matchup.

I'm thinking this will be a lot tighter than the last two... perhaps even a 11:30 PM EST thriller. :woohoo:

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it seems both offenses are still doing there thing so far. I gotta give the sox credit, they dont give up with 2 outs

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Man CC was working, it would have been nice for him to get some good defensive help, but a 7.5 game leade will do.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well...

Giving up 5 home runs will never help your cause. At least in other news I see they've bumped Brad Penny from his SR spot and put Tazawa in there. Good move.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the sox need a big bat in the worst way, someone that brings a bit of fear into the lineup

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Tazawa looks good so far... I think teams may start catching up to him the second time they see him. Time will tell I suppose.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
the sox need a big bat in the worst way, someone that brings a bit of fear into the lineup
They already have Youkilis and Bay, and Martinez is emerging as a high end #3... Doesn't get much bigger than that. Ortiz used to be the biggest, but he hit a wall (hard)... 5 out of 9 in their lineup are an immediate threat to go yard every time at the bat, especially at home.

Boston will be fine, just need to fend off TEX and TAM for a few more weeks. Their only weakness at this point is perhaps the consistancy in their rotation, but every team has issues with that over the course of the year. In spring training though, you'd have to figure Boston would be the last team to be swapping out starters in late August.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bay isn't consistent enough imo, youk is very good and Martinez will be solid, but their isn't a great deal of fear with that part of the lineup.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Agreed... Manny got p*ssed and left, and Ortiz lost his stash... Going to have to suffer another year with Ortiz's money / contract on the team - awful lot like Yanks dealing with a post roid Giambi.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't EVEN place Manny Ramirez is the same category with Giambi. Manny is a punk bitch. Always was. Always will be.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Manny is a b*tch, but a much more talented player than Giambi.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
An ounce of bitch outweighs a ton of talent.

Giambi went out quietly like a gentleman. That speaks volumes more than talent in the game of baseball IMHO.

I can enjoy discussing the rivalry without the constant antogonizing.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
An ounce of bitch outweighs a ton of talent.

Giambi went out quietly like a gentleman. That speaks volumes more than talent in the game of baseball IMHO.

I can enjoy discussing the rivalry without the constant antogonizing.
What do you mean by "go out"? Leave New York? His contract ran up, and the Yankees obviously overpaid him for his 3 or 4 year stint. There was no coming back. Now he's with Colorado. Or do you mean "go out" on steroids? That was handled somewhat well - apologizing to NY fans, but I wouldn't say Manny "mishandled" - he took the suspension and pretty much stayed quiet. Only a few guys have mishandled their position: Bonds, Palmero, and McGuire come to mind.

Manny leaving Boston was somewhat of a b*tch move... that and his lollygagging in left field... or perhaps his penchant for scratching himself from lineups or faking injuries, or striking out on purpose... Ok, so he's a huge b*tch.

I disagree with you on outweighing the talent. Manny singlehandedly brought the Dodgers to the playoffs this year, and he'll probably perform a lot better next year when he's playing for another contract. I obviously hate the dude, but you can't refute that he's an incredible offensive baseball player.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As a Red Sox fan, my view on Manny is this: Anyone who just quits on their team for their own delusional and unsubtantiated personal reasons is most certainly a punk b*tch. Faking injuries is just plain pathetic. I was a HUGE Manny fan back in his days with Cleveland (what a team they had back in the late 90's as well: Albert Belle, Manny Ramirez, Jim Thome, Omar Vizquel, Sandy Alomar, Kenny Lofton), and I was thrilled upon his arrival in Boston, but that quickly vanished with his pathetic departure. It was beyond fukced up how he handled the situation. He's a greedy fukc; end of story there.

I do agree Manny is a very talented hitter (his defense is always a riot to watch), but I also agree with Brian that he's ultimately just a punk b*tch in the end.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why is this thread so quiet?
Just been busy. We put a whoopin' on the O's again last night. It looks like the Rays' are done, so the battle with Texas for the WC right now. I like our chances given the rest of the schedule.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
Just been busy. We put a whoopin' on the O's again last night. It looks like the Rays' are done, so the battle with Texas for the WC right now. I like our chances given the rest of the schedule.
The Rays are officially done. They're back to being Devil Rays:laugh2:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Rays are officially done. They're back to being Devil Rays:laugh2:
Indeed. I went to the Sox/Rays game down here last week. All their fans had already given up on them, and the stadium was literally empty. Pathetic...

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Sox took all three games from the Rays in less than 24 hours. The Rays have now lost 11 straight, LOL!!!

Jon Lester was absolutely masterful once again.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Sox are looking real good right now, and are peaking at the right time. It looks like we're almost a lock for the WC, and once again would face the halos. Great series this past week in fenway. We've dominated the angels in the playoffs, so I'm hoping this trend continues.

Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, and Matsuzaka looks to be a very solid playoff rotation. They're all pitching very well right now. Lester and Buchholz combined are 9-0 in their last 14 starts. Oh how I hope we meet the Yankees again this year...

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
The Sox are looking real good right now, and are peaking at the right time. It looks like we're almost a lock for the WC, and once again would face the halos. Great series this past week in fenway. We've dominated the angels in the playoffs, so I'm hoping this trend continues.

Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, and Matsuzaka looks to be a very solid playoff rotation. They're all pitching very well right now. Lester and Buchholz combined are 9-0 in their last 14 starts. Oh how I hope we meet the Yankees again this year...

Me too

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The magic number is now 5...