My P/P/L Log

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've always been taught the opposite, use the minimum energy to lift sub maximal weights to build confidence and leave reserve for tougher lifts
Every lift should be treated the same whether it's 10% or 100%.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Every lift should be treated the same whether it's 10% or 100%.
This. The entire point of lifting lighter weights is to teach your body and mind the proper way to do it regardless of the weight. You need to build the proper CNS connection to allow your body to do it in a more "natural" way than it could otherwise.

Basically, practice makes perfect. You wouldn't practice to run a marathon at 6min/mile by walking 5k's at a slow pace. Same concept applies. If you wanna do something, you need to practice how you play.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
elhosk; maybe you are talking about warm up sets? They shouldn't totally exhaust for the main sets but I have been told not to go thru the motions with them either.

Basically treat them like main sets (make sure form is good). like Rodja; and booneman77; explain so well, apply the same power as the main sets. this means when the weight is light it moves FAST :)

ELROCK; wow thank you for stopping by!

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Sun 21 June 2015: LEGS A
Warmup: Reverse Leg Extensions, Box Jumps, skip rope.

Back Squats:
3x5 (60kg), 3x8 (50kg), 3x10 (40kg)

Glute Ham Raise:
8 (35deg Tilt and hold), 6 (35deg Tilt and hold), 6 (35deg Tilt and hold)

Lunges:
20 steps (20kg), 20 steps (20kg), 20 steps (20kg)

Hamstring Curls:
12 (30kg), 12 (25kg), 12 (22.5kg)

Seated Calf Raises:
16 (20kg), 15 (20kg), 14 (20kg)

Ab Crunch Machine:
30 (Lever 5), 15 (Lever 4), 17 (Lever 3)

Weather was terrible today so instead of my usual trail walk I decided to do a leg sesh :)

I wanted to do front squats to be honest but my fingers didn't want to stretch back that far today without hurting. They are still a bit swelled from yesterdays game.

The ghr gave me wicked cramps again. And my lesson today is the seated calf raise is not good to goto failure on.. you still got to lift it to put the clamp back on haha.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
On front squats, have you tried the crossed arm method instead of the Olympic style?

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
You can also use straps

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
It just takes a bit to get the mobility down. After a bit, you won't have any pain... Took me about 3 months to get completely used to it

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Damn, did that tattoo hurt? I don't have any, but that seems like a tender spot.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
mountainman33; yea when I first learnt to do front squat it was arms crossed. If i can get my hands under the bar it def feels more stable though

mattborn00; ooh never thought of that!!

Wrivest; haha literally i was spending days just getting into front rack position every time i walked past the rack. and doing lots of wrist bendy exercises at home bc i am stubborn like that

AntM1564; of course it was painful. maybe there was some tears lol. but I told no matter what don't SQUIRM.. and that pain was temporary. well, i am still alive haha

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Mon 22 June 2015: PUSH B
Warmup: Bodycombat class

Flat Barbell Bench Press:
3x5 (45kg), 3x7 (30kg)

Standing Barbell Press:
3x5 (25kg)

Cable Flyes:
3x12 (6.75kg)

DB Side Lateral Raise:
3x12 (5kg)

Dips:
15, 13, 10 (20kg assist)

Pallof Press:
3x12 (6.75kg)

Did a pb on bench full rom at 45kg without no trainer, was quite happy with this tbh apart from that am noticing a lot more definition in my arms and changes in my abs. had a girl approach me and ask if I could show her the pallof press or see how I do anyway I supersetted woth the dips and she went through it at a slower pace. shes a new member I signed up and hasn't ever really done weights and concentrates more on cardio - just got an SMS from her she is in agony lmao

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Tue 23 June 2015: PULL B
Warmup: Elliptical Intervals 15 mins 168kcals

Pendlay Rows:
3x10 (35kg)

Seated Rear Delt Rows (Plate):
3x12 (50kg)

Front/Lat Pull Down (Plate):
3x12 (35kg)

Bent Over Rear Delt Row:
12, 8, 6 (7kg each hand)

Cable One Arm Rear Delt Raise: (doggy style)
3x12 (1.75kg)

DB Curls:
3x10 (7kg)

Underhand Rows (Machine):
3x12 (3rd Lever)

I was doing rear delt rows next to a squat rack and some weirdo started squatting in the rack.
He kept looking over and smiling and adding weight as his squats got shallower and shallower! 1 plate each side less than 1/4 rep.. still smiling. i finished my exercise quickly and gtfo. lol he was freaking me out a bit!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is your warm intervals HIIT?

That guy sounds like a idiot. Whenever I'm squatting and there is a good looking girl around, I keep on pace with what I planned, I just get nervous about getting stuck in the hole and failing lmao.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
AntM1564; yea i like to warm up fast haha. but I am starting to think it may be too much. i wasnt feeling too good today haha.

weirdos are annoying! I don't mind if someone looking (i mean I look around as well.. sometimes :) ) but not staring and being all creepy. I was in long sleeves and trackpants lmao what is there to stare at.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Wed 24 June 2015: LEGS B
Warmup: Spin Class by myself lol

Back Squats:
3x8 (60kg), 3x10 (45kg)

Lunges:
3x12 (12kg) each leg

Glute Ham Raise:
5 (45deg Tilt and hold 2sec), 4 (35deg Tilt and hold).. failure

Standing Hamstring Curls:
3x12 (10kg) each leg

Seated Calf Raises:
3x15 (15kg)

Terminal Knee Extension (Thin Black Band)
2x12 each leg

Feeling a bit nauseous today! I think it was the milk or something but I wanted to puke after the curls. or maybe it was the spin class that **** is HARD.

Guy at work is encouraging me to go back to study. I now think it is a good idea, i mean i can't work in a gym for the rest of my life -as much as i love it here! i am interested into sports science so I'll speak to the uni centre next week.
The thing is I would've gone to uni after i finished seniors IF i hadnt spend a whole season in ibiza instead of just 2 weeks as planned..oh well learn from my mistakes and all that lol

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Why can't you work in a gym as a life long career? Get some certs and move up the ladder in the fitness career field if it is what you love to do.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Why can't you work in a gym as a life long career? Get some certs and move up the ladder in the fitness career field if it is what you love to do.
This. I know GM of commercial gyms make (starting) 55k a year.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Wrivest; I plan on sticking with fitness field so if i study it will be related to fitness but more with health. thats why i mentioned sports science but physio is also an option. i think I scored enough to get in as a 'mature student' lmao. also my parents will be horrified if i didnt have a degree they keep nagging me about it lol.

tyga tyga; yea i like to score one of those jobs thanks! :)

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Thu 25 June 2015: PUSH A
Warmup: 50 x burpees

Standing Barbell Overhead Press:
3x5 (25kg), 3x8 (20kg)

Kneeling Smith Machine Press:
3x8 (25kg)

Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise:
3x10 (5kg each hand)

Overhead Dumbbell Tricep Extensions:
3x10 (6kg)

Hit my head with the dumbell in the last set of tricep extensions :)

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Haha my arms getting so pumped lately! love it :smlove2:

BigRed1974

BigRed1974

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Looking Swole!!

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Fri 26 June 2015: PUSH A
Warmup: 800m Water Rower 3:17

Deadlift:
3x5 (70kg), 3x8 (50kg)

DB Rows:
3x8 (22.5kg) each side

Close Grip Lat Pulldown:
3x10 (37kg)

Rows Machine:
3x10 (30kg)

Rear Delt Flyes Machine:
3x10 (18kg)

Pullup Slow Negative Last Rep:
1x5 (last rep 21 secs failure)

I am trying the chin up training method from 'sensei' Charles Poliquin.

[video=youtube;Z2rDdhR3ils]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2rDdhR3ils[/video]

It definitely made my arm feel very 'swole' lol

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Sun 28 June 2015: LEGS A
Warmup: Box Jumps, Lacrosee Ball rolling

Back Squats:
3x5 (65kg), 1x5 (72.5kg), 3x8 (50kg)

Front Squats:
3x5 (55kg)

DB Lunges:
3x12 (2 x 10kg DB's) each leg

Standing Hamstring Curls (Machine):
3x12 (10kg)

Standing Calf Raises:
2x18 (50kg)

Leg Extensions Unilateral:
3x12 (16kg)

Glute Leg Kickback (Machine):
3x15 (27kg) each leg

I did calf raises at the squat rack today with a 20kg plate under my feet. I nearly fell backwards haha. Yea I just started tumbling backwards, not a pretty sight so I didn't want to do anymore after that!
My hip flexors are starting to hurt though from the squats. so I do hip flexor stretches, and roll the bad areas with my lacrosse ball. Feels quite nasty actually when I roll it tbh

Anyhow. My pins after the w/o.

I just checked my weight it is up to 66.7kg now lmao.. thanks to a few birthday parties, eating out 3x last week and lots of carbs. so I am blowing over like 250kcal a day over target. Myfitness pal has a way of making me feel fat every time it says I am over target lol. I think when I get to 67kg i will do another cut.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Mon 29 June 2015: PUSH A
Warmup: Med Ball Slams

Bench Press:
10, 8, 6, 6 reps (40kg)

Standing Press:
10, 7, 6, 7 reps (25kg)

Shoulder Press Machine:
3x12 (18kg)

Cable Flyes:
15, 12, 12 reps (7kg)

Dips:
3x15 reps (15kg assist)

Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise:
12, 10, 9 (5kg)

I didn't enjoy this workout from the very start. Too much dramas with phone ringing constantly, rushed for time, and a weird cramp in my right arm. Also my car didnt start this morning so I was late coming to work lol.. something to do with the starter thing not working which means another bill I have to pay. So stressing over that I didn't get my reps in (surprise surprise), fatigue hits all of a sudden and the set is over. There's always another day though. Next!

Tue 30 June 2015: PULL A
Warmup: Water Rower 750m 3:33

Pendlay Rows:
3x8 reps (45kg)

Deadlifts:
3x8 reps (55kg)

Stiff Leg Deadlifts:
3x8 reps (45kg)

Seated Rear Delt Rows (Plate):
3x10 reps (55kg)

Front/Lat Pull Down (Machine):
3x10 reps (45kg)

High Row (Machine):
3x10 reps (40kg)

Underhand Row (Machine):
3x10 reps (25kg)

Rear Delt Flyes (Machine):
3x10 reps (18kg)

Much better today.. what a big diff a huge brekky (I had french toast maple syrup), a coffee, and 2 bananas/nuts for morning tea makes!
I also tried for the first time NITRAMINE by Myokem as a preworkout. lol I was pumped, I felt like an energiser bunny. I didn't want to stop haha.

Finished with spin class interval session (35 min). It was only the instructor and me so I suspect he took it easy since I struggled halfway through to keep up. :)

travwj

travwj

Awards
  • Established
Ha ha Energiser bunny, haven't seen those ads for ages.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How do you like those ball slams? I've been thinking about putting them into my ab routine.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
How do you like those ball slams? I've been thinking about putting them into my ab routine.
They are great! really good for letting off steam if your abit frustrated haha.
I didn't know it would work my core much at all but it wasnt long before I got that burn where my abs are suppose to be :p

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Wed 1 Jul 2015: LEGS B
Warmup: Water Rower 1000m 4:34

Back Squats:
3x5 reps (65kg)

Front Squats:
3x5 reps (50kg). 1x20 reps (10 Back, 10 Front) 40kg

Lying Hamstring Curls:
3x12 Each Leg (15kg)

Seated Calf Raises:
3x15 (25kg)

Glute Ham Raises:
4x3 All the way this time :)

Terminal Knee Extension:
3x12 Each Leg (Red Band)

Hanging Leg Raises:
2x10

I had Nitramine today for my pre w/o again. Can you tell? :p

Anyways I am going to finish with PPl and move onto Canditos linear strength program and give that a try next. Its 4 days a week which is better for me because I feel I am spending too much effort in training and its taking away attention to other things in my life. Plus I feel tired now so I need a break.

Here, a collage of some 'swolfies' I took over the past week and a bit but didnt post haha.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Wow it's been forever but I think I am finally ready to log again. :newangel:

My shoulder cuff (infraspinatus) was hurt 2 months ago in volley preliminary finals so no shoulder presses or pullups but rows and bench press is ok. My arm (bracchialis) is affected so thats sore too. To be honest I felt pretty negative about it when it happened so I didn't train again until I started getting better.

So I made some changes to my training where my focus is squat and deadlift mainly, with some bench. All other upper body exercises are on machines because they don't hurt my arm. My physio who I call Dr Pain gives me an epic shoulder and arm mobilisation once a week.

I am following Canditos strength/control program at the moment to work on my deadlift and squat form. This week my training has been like this:

Monday: 28.09
Squat High Bar: 55kg/120lb 5 x 5
Deadlift: 70kg/154lbs 3 x 5
Glute Ham Raise: 3 x 5

Tuesday: 29.09
Bench Press: 40kg/88lbs 4 x 6
Dumbell Rows: 17.5kg/38lbs 4 x 6 each side
Machines - High Rows, Lat Pull downs, Rear Delt Rows

Wednesday: 30.09
Relay Run/200m Sprint drills (I signed up for the uni happy athletics team haha)

Thursday: 1.10
Paused Squat High Bar: 40kg/88lb 6 x 4
Paused Deadlift: 60kg/132lbs 5 x 4 - These are very hard for me. The biggest thing to work on is having good form in the hold position.

Friday (today!): 2.10
Paused Bench: 30kg/66lb 6 x 4
Paused Dumbell Rows: 12.5kg/27lb 6 x 4

Dietwise I lost a bit of weight but I am starting to track macros again. I think this time I will go for higher protein, like 35p/45c/20f and see how my body responds. It's funny because uni has a gym + bodybuilding club and they have a figure competition just before christmas break, everyone is asking me to sign up and I am so tempted to. :fool2:

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
High bar squats first time 55kg/120lb :)

I feel uncomfortable in the bottom position with low bar squats because I struggle to stay stable with the bar over the mid foot. So I am experimenting with different feet spacing, position, and also high bar squats. Soon I will find the magic sweet spot that will help me improve for the better!

[video=vimeo;141139391]https://vimeo.com/141139391[/video]

BigRed1974

BigRed1974

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Good looking workout and squats! Good to see you back logging :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looks better than 99% of the squats I see at the gym. There's some small things that I see, but nothing too glaring.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Good looking workout and squats! Good to see you back logging :)
Thanks much appreciate!! Happy to be back into it :)

Looks better than 99% of the squats I see at the gym. There's some small things that I see, but nothing too glaring.
Thanks haha, and I bet I know what you are about to say.. my head isn't neutral and the weight is shifting forward out of the bottom? My friend actually suggested I cover the mirror so I stop looking at it when I squat. Mirrors are distracting :)

The weight forward thing gets me all the time. I am afraid to sit back more because I'll fall back if I do. And if I tilt more upright the bar starts to slide down, which hurts my arms and elbow. This doesn't happen all the time obviously, only when I start to get tired.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks much appreciate!! Happy to be back into it :)

Thanks haha, and I bet I know what you are about to say.. my head isn't neutral and the weight is shifting forward out of the bottom? My friend actually suggested I cover the mirror so I stop looking at it when I squat. Mirrors are distracting :)

The weight forward thing gets me all the time. I am afraid to sit back more because I'll fall back if I do. And if I tilt more upright the bar starts to slide down, which hurts my arms and elbow. This doesn't happen all the time obviously, only when I start to get tired.
Close, but more of squeeze the glutes instead of just pushing them forward at the top. It keeps the spine in a more neutral position and will help your strength out of the hole.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
This week I can feel my shoulder improving so there is less imbalance on the left side compared with the right side. I can start to do pullups again (sortof) and while overhead pressing is still no-go, I am kinda excited that I can get into the front rack position pain free again! Gosh the icing, band distraction, painful rolling and dry needling has paid off finally.

I had bit of fun making a collage of my front squat :)

Monday: 5.10
Squat High Bar: 55kg/120lb 4 x 6
Deadlift: 60kg/143lbs 3 x 5 - tried sumo this time
Glute Ham Raise: 1 x 5. Okay so what I had been doing weren't proper GHR lol, I l had to slide forward more so I am bending at the knees not at the hip. MUCH harder.

Tuesday: 6.10
Bench Press: 45kg/100lbs 3 x 5 with spotter
Dumbell Rows: 17.5kg/38lbs 4 x 6 each side
Machines - High Rows, Rear Delt Rows

Wednesday: 7.10
Physio/massage

Thursday: 8.10
Paused Squat High Bar: 40kg/88lb 6 x 4
Paused Deadlift: 50kg/110lbs 6 x 4.

Friday (today!): 9.10
Paused Bench: 30kg/66lb 6 x 4
Paused Dumbell Rows: 12.5kg/27lb 6 x 4
Assisted Pullups: 3 x 8
Overhead Press: 20kg/44lbs 1 x 5, too painful
Front Squat Test: 40kg/88lb 3 x 5

I feel like I am leaning out more than I expect, so I will increase my calorie by 100kcal next week. Hopefully that will even my weight out abit. I am starting to think that the Epic Unleash is kinda skewing my kcal calculations slightly. Well, having more to eat is handy because I am going to a food and wine festival tomorrow :) I also went to a french FINE dining for the first time I can remember actually and has to this to eat. Looks yummy right!?

(don't ask me what the macro is for this haha)