Fruit sugar bad???

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
question for you paleo's....the only thing non paleo in my diet now is the 2 meals that I have oatmeal (both PWO). Would I notice any benefit by simply switching to gluten free rolled oats as opposed to the quaker rolled oats? Or is that not paleo enough to notice any benefits?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
question for you paleo's....the only thing non paleo in my diet now is the 2 meals that I have oatmeal (both PWO). Would I notice any benefit by simply switching to gluten free rolled oats as opposed to the quaker rolled oats? Or is that not paleo enough to notice any benefits?
The main problem with oats in more opinion is their acidic content. Steel cut oats or rolled oats will definetely be better for you than the processed junk. Add some fat to the oats to balance out the PH and slow the insulin response. Also if you do decide to eat oats I would perpare them fermentated as this will help break down the lectins & phytic acid thus making them a little more nutritious.

Honestly you don't need them and there are better options out there. If you want to try paleo I would cut them out for a month and if you really miss them add them back in and see if you notice any digestion problems.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I always add PB to them, not the quick 1 min oats, the old fashioned rolled oats, and I don't have any digestive problems from them actually. They work well for me, but you know there is ALWAYS room for improvement. :)

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Oh I admit there are certainly a few things I could replace the oats with. Rice or potatoes would be the most obvious. However it does happen to be my fav meal of the day that I eat. I love me my oatmeal. I bought some gluten free rolled oats off amazon for 20 bucks, 8 pounds of it for 20 bucks shipped ain't bad. Might as well just give it a shot and see what happens.

Hell, worse case scenario is I see no benefit one way or the other, best case scenario I discover it really helps out.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Add some fat to the oats to balance out the PH and slow the insulin response.
This is bad advice. Adding fat to carbs may slow down digestion but it also adds calories and will also increase TOTAL insulin requirements.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is bad advice. Adding fat to carbs may slow down digestion but it also adds calories and will also increase TOTAL insulin requirements.
Everything you eat is going to add calories. I thought that would have been common sense, didnt think I would have had to be specific and say to be sensible about how much you add.

How would fat increase the insulin response?

Fat, fiber, and water have no effect on either insulin or glucagon - these foods are metabolically neutral.
By combining fat with a high carb meal you in turn reduce the bolus size entry into the small intestine signaling the pancreas to release an appropriate insulin concentration, not a major insulin spike.

Also by combining fat with the oatmeal you acidity of that oatmeal and make it a tad more balanced.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Everything you eat is going to add calories. I thought that would have been common sense, didnt think I would have had to be specific and say to be sensible about how much you add.

How would fat increase the insulin response?

By combining fat with a high carb meal you in turn reduce the bolus size entry into the small intestine signaling the pancreas to release an appropriate insulin concentration, not a major insulin spike.

Also by combining fat with the oatmeal you acidity of that oatmeal and make it a tad more balanced.
Both protein and fat also trigger an insulin response, just not as much as carbs. This is fairly intuitive with protein since extra gets deaminized into glucose. It is not yet well understood why fat does but it is thought to interfere with insulin function causing increased levels to 'overcome' it. Think of it this way, fat adds calories and increased calories can increase insulin resistance if they are not burned through activity.

As I said adding fat will slow the digestion which will widen the base of an 'insulin spike' (a very overused term btw) but the area under the curve (ie total insulin output) will be larger.

If someone is simply trying to manage body composition, he/she would be far better off just managing calories. If the person is trying to manage insulin for say diabetic purposes then he/she would be better off reducing carb intake rather than adding more calories to the load by adding fat in attempts to blunt an insulin response.

I was not commenting on the acidity thing - not something that I follow.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone have a real nice article/read of why it's important to have enough omega 3's and why a diet too high in ONLY omega 6's is bad?

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
thanks brotha. What kind of salmon do you normally eat when looking to get your omega3's?

They seem to have different levels of fat content, atlantic being very high, pink not so much, and sockeye somewhere in the middle. But what kind is the king of salmon so to speak?
depends on how much you wanna spend. always buy alaskan wild caught. i buy pink because its 1.80 or so per can but you can buy red for $4 or so.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just FYI, the salmon run in alaska somewhere starting in mid june, and it continues through as late as september sometimes. During that span even grocery stores here in FL carry it, and only at $9-10 a pound, as full fillets (around 2 1/2lbs). So I buy 5 or 6 fillets, vacuum pack em, freeze em and take out one a month or so and grill it :)

Outside of that time of year, sams club on and off has wild caught salmon frozen at a decent price. The problem is sometimes they don't have any alaskan and just have atlantic.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Just FYI, the salmon run in alaska somewhere starting in mid june, and it continues through as late as september sometimes. During that span even grocery stores here in FL carry it, and only at $9-10 a pound, as full fillets (around 2 1/2lbs). So I buy 5 or 6 fillets, vacuum pack em, freeze em and take out one a month or so and grill it :)

Outside of that time of year, sams club on and off has wild caught salmon frozen at a decent price. The problem is sometimes they don't have any alaskan and just have atlantic.
yea atlantic sucks, usually all farm raised. my problem is that i eat them all the time. thats why the cans work, even though the taste isnt all that great..

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why don't they sell this in the US

actually its probably made of rice + soy knowing those crazy bastards.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
What's everyones opinion on the healthiest forms of red meat for both protein and healthy fats?

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna go to sams today and see if they have bison. The only meat I eat is boneless skinless chicken breasts, thought I'd throw in a little variety, spice things up a bit.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
My aunt and uncle raise scottish highland cattle and sell it. Any idea how this compares to bison?

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
The best salmon i 've ever had has i believe it to be scottish salmon very sweet and no frigen bones like i get from wild caught atlantic.But for a buck fifty i take one for the team and eat farm atlantic!

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Alright guys you sold me. I decided to cut out grains. I'm not sure I'm going completely primal, but my only carb sources are brown rice and sweet potatoes, and of course I still eat the CRAP out of my healthy nuts for fat, lol :)

maybe a bit less abdominal bloat, we shall see.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
ive been eating bison pretty much every day. its incredible, the only problem is the price. pound of ground bison here is 8.79

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Alright guys you sold me. I decided to cut out grains. I'm not sure I'm going completely primal, but my only carb sources are brown rice and sweet potatoes, and of course I still eat the CRAP out of my healthy nuts for fat, lol :)

maybe a bit less abdominal bloat, we shall see.
how bout vegetables? that should be your carb sources bro!

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
how bout vegetables? that should be your carb sources bro!
potatoes are a vegetable, lol. I do a lot of spinach still, spinach is my new best friend, great recommendation on replacing regular romaine lettuce with that.

How acidic is brown rice compared to oats? Still just as bad?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
potatoes are a vegetable, lol. I do a lot of spinach still, spinach is my new best friend, great recommendation on replacing regular romaine lettuce with that.

How acidic is brown rice compared to oats? Still just as bad?
Potatoes are not a vegetable; they are a tuber. Brown rice is nearly as acidic as oats.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it is nearly painful to attempt a clean bulking diet while in ketosis without relying on oils for most of the cals. not like relying on them is a bad thing, but enough coconut oil leaves me quesy. breaking the 4000 calorie limit is a drag this way, with carbs its kinda pleasant, even clean carbs.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
how about eggs/fish/red meat? both are awesome and super calorie rich.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
yes sir, been slowly switching my chicken out this week for pink salmon and highland beef. Trying to get a bit more omega3 as opposed to so much omega6.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
yes sir, been slowly switching my chicken out this week for pink salmon and highland beef. Trying to get a bit more omega3 as opposed to so much omega6.
yea throw 10-15 grams of fishoil in there to help the balance. beef even grass fed contains very little omega 3 but the grass fed is obviously superior.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
how about eggs/fish/red meat? both are awesome and super calorie rich.
yeah, even so, just ends up as filling meals. For whatever reason, with carbs added I find it easier to eat at least as much if not more. The 6 eggs, 4 slices of bacon and some nut butter is just as easy to eat along with 2 or 3 bananas, but if I have the bananas I end up hungry again sooner.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
yeah, even so, just ends up as filling meals. For whatever reason, with carbs added I find it easier to eat at least as much if not more. The 6 eggs, 4 slices of bacon and some nut butter is just as easy to eat along with 2 or 3 bananas, but if I have the bananas I end up hungry again sooner.

I would imagine that's from the blood sugar stimulation of the fructose. 8-9g of sugar via honey or basically any source along with meals used to make hungry as hell no matter how much I ate.

And I wanted to do bison meat, but for one thing nobody around me has it, not even sams, and my aunt and uncle have a cattle farm and raise grass fed highland cattle and sell the beef. So they cut me (no pun intended) a pretty good deal on the stuff :)

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
oh thats amazing dude you got the best hookup there is

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I never realized how acidic fish is. The pink salmon gives me acid reflux like a mofo!

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I never realized how acidic fish is. The pink salmon gives me acid reflux like a mofo!
yeah gotta eat it with fresh vegetables to bring down the acidity, thats what i do. its just as acidic as meat/egg yolks.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yea throw 10-15 grams of fishoil in there to help the balance. beef even grass fed contains very little omega 3 but the grass fed is obviously superior.
I do this, 10 grams of fish oil a day, its cheap and effective. I seriously cannot get inexpensive grass fed beef, it will eat up my entire grocery budget. Sure it will be great when I can or it is more affordable, but just changing to meat and healthy fats makes a difference. I can get natural, no hormone vegetarian fed beef for only a dollar more a pound, seems like a fair compromise on the cuts that are available (does taste better too!). 85/15 natural hamburgers are money, so juicy, screw 96/4 beef, never again.