10 weeks to APF TX State

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It might have been a little high but it sure exploded out of the hole bubba!
The main thing for me is that I was able to move the full gear quite well and I had a great unrack. Technically speaking, I see some mistakes, particularly the weight shifting towards my toes, but I should be able to correct that quite easily as I was far from really locked in yesterday. I got so caught up in just moving the weight up that I forgot to just focus on keeping my chest up and squeezing my ass.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I did notice some rocking but like you said it was more a matter of getting used to the gear's use. You still looked explosive!

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Are you and those other guys entering as a team?

Looked pretty good, was a tad high as you said, but that is some serious freaking weight there. I'd like to second you came out of the hole with solid speed.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you and those other guys entering as a team?

Looked pretty good, was a tad high as you said, but that is some serious freaking weight there. I'd like to second you came out of the hole with solid speed.
The guy calling is doing APF Nationals in May, but the other 3 should be there with me. The guy closest to the camera is a little flaky and I'll believe that he's doing it when he shows up on the platform. Insanely strong guy, but he lacks discipline and focus.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
After a second watch that may pass...hard to tell. You know better than me. It was at least parallel, maybe a little lower.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The guy calling is doing APF Nationals in May, but the other 3 should be there with me. The guy closest to the camera is a little flaky and I'll believe that he's doing it when he shows up on the platform. Insanely strong guy, but he lacks discipline and focus.
Yeah, they look like a group of strong ass dudes.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
After a second watch that may pass...hard to tell. You know better than me. It was at least parallel, maybe a little lower.
The official rule is that the lifter gets the benefit of the doubt. My hope was to get in the 680-690 range, but my focus is my first attempt. Depending how everything goes, I might go for a proposed third attempt with reverse bands next Sunday, but that's not 100% certain. I've done that weight once about 5 months ago and I feel I can get it if I get everything in order.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The official rule is that the lifter gets the benefit of the doubt. My hope was to get in the 680-690 range, but my focus is my first attempt. Depending how everything goes, I might go for a proposed third attempt with reverse bands next Sunday, but that's not 100% certain. I've done that weight once about 5 months ago and I feel I can get it if I get everything in order.
Well I look forward to the videos of this meet.

On a side note, you ever heard of the WNPF? They do meets around me. I am thinking of joining and doing my first meet in June with them(pending I scrape up the money for everything).

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well I look forward to the videos of this meet.

On a side note, you ever heard of the WNPF? They do meets around me. I am thinking of joining and doing my first meet in June with them(pending I scrape up the money for everything).
Yeah, they're pretty well known amongst the "natural" federations.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah, they're pretty well known amongst the "natural" federations.
I see what you did there. I have absolutely nothing against "geared" lifters, I just hope to compete with people at least closer to my strength. Be kind of weird to me finishing with everyone-else's warm up. They do a lot of Philly and jersey which is good for me.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I see what you did there. I have absolutely nothing against "geared" lifters, I just hope to compete with people at least closer to my strength. Be kind of weird to me finishing with everyone-else's warm up. They do a lot of Philly and jersey which is good for me.
We all start somewhere. A lot of dudes in my federation and weight class squat 800lbs and take their final warmup with my second attempt.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
We all start somewhere. A lot of dudes in my federation and weight class squat 800lbs and take their final warmup with my second attempt.
Good point. I just gotta do it. Thank you sir.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Jeez, I hope my meet isn't at that level lol

That's some awesome weight to be movin around there, Rodja.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
3/19
Speed Bench (+monster minis; index and ring finger on the rings)
155x2x6

Pressdowns/WY
110x15/15x6
110x15/15x6

HS Row145x15x2

Starting to taper down on the accessory work and focus on getting everything set. Speed on the bar was great and I will give index finger on the bar a go on Friday to see how well I can move that bar in my shirt, which might not be much at all. I've noticed that the wider I go, the more I have to belly up and pull the bar so I can touch.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
3/20
Sumo
545x1 (opener)

Standing Cable Crunches/Banded GM (light)
120x15x2/15x2

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How did it go? Did you smoke it?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ah, yes. That's a very good point. I'm sure a raw meet is going to be tough on the body, and I know that gear takes a much greater toll. That must make work capacity a huge priority.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
3/22

Bench
405x1 (touch)

I made some slight adjustments in my footing that enabled me to keep a stronger base, belly up, and stay tight throughout the rep. I really, really needed this from a confidence standpoint as I was starting to get shaky about my bench going to the meet.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You're going in more level headed than I am for sure. Is that your opener?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're going in more level headed than I am for sure. Is that your opener?
Yes and I'm 100% fine with hitting just that at the meet. Totaling is my main priority for this one and then I'll focus on totaling Elite at 198.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good stuff. I was getting anxious for you to get that bench on solid ground.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
3/24

Squat
Worked up to opener: 601x1

This session was messed up from the very beginning. When I got to the gym, I opened my trunk to get my gear and my bag. I noticed that my suit was wet and then saw that it had a light blue hue to it. I then saw immediately to the right of it that my liquid detergent container had opened and spilled all over the trunk, so I had to work up to my opener in only briefs and really tight knee wraps. It's nice to know that I can get my opener in just briefs, but I really needed to feel the straps today.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
3/28 Sumo

540x3 (opener)

I was slightly struggling with my groove and it was my toe positioning. I adjusted and then found my positioning and pulled a triple just to reinforce it into my mind.

3/29 Bench

Opener

After last week, I felt like I would be able to successfully touch and press 405. This week, I did just that and feel really good going into the meet.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Everything is setting up nice man!

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lots of speed there. You may surprise yourself on bench this week.

EDIT: Whatever ****ing week. You know what I mean.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lots of speed there. You may surprise yourself on bench this week.

EDIT: Whatever ****ing week. You know what I mean.
This was the last shirted session until the meet and Sunday will be the last squat session. This will also be three geared sessions in four days and this will most likely be a kick in the balls. I was going to do some speed work on 4/7, but T've had a change of plans and won't be able to make it that day. After 4/3, the most of my work will be MFR, mobility, stretching, and light band work.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This was the last shirted session until the meet and Sunday will be the last squat session. This will also be three geared sessions in four days and this will most likely be a kick in the balls. I was going to do some speed work on 4/7, but T've had a change of plans and won't be able to make it that day. After 4/3, the most of my work will be MFR, mobility, stretching, and light band work.
Yeah, I meant meet day. That will be quite a kick in the balls. Full suit straps up on Sunday?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I forgot to update my training from 3/31. It was not one of my better days, which was expected as I wanted to feel like **** going into this session to supercompensate leading up to the meet. Getting into my gear was actually pretty easy as I dropped a few pounds the past week. My body felt pretty good overall with just a bit of tightness in the adductors and I had decent speed while I was working up in weight. One thing I changed was to work up like I will be doing at the meet, which is to take plate jumps instead of quarters (bar, 135, 225, 315, 405, 495) leading into my opener.

My first attempt with my opener was a technical failure. I can't pin exactly where it went wrong, but I think it was my upper back rounding from the straps. I racked the bar and sat down for a moment to recompose myself. I had to get this and I did so in just briefs last week, so there was no reason for me not to get this. This was time to take it to 11 and I got an ammonia cap from my bag to use right before I got under the bar. After a massive inhale, I got under the back, unracked it, and smoked the weight. I wish I didn't have to use the cap for this, but circumstances change.

This week has been almost complete inactivity. I managed to pick up a sinus bug and felt like I was hit with a hammer on Monday morning, which partially explains why I felt so weak on Sunday. I'm going to get in some light work today to get some blood flowing and to get some weight in my hands.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
At least you got it, ammonia or not. That may have just been the confidence boost needed to smoke it at the meet. I'm going into tomorrow's meet with a slight head cold..sucks. What's your weight sittin at?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
At least you got it, ammonia or not. That may have just been the confidence boost needed to smoke it at the meet. I'm going into tomorrow's meet with a slight head cold..sucks. What's your weight sittin at?
I haven't weighed myself this week, but probably 220 since my appetite has been rather low this whole week.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tomorrow is the big day. My gear is packed and my mind is ready. My wife will be filming all of my attempts and my plan is the following (I only have the first two attempts planned as my third attempt will be decided based on performance):

Squat
601-opener
645-second attempt

Bench
402-opener
430-second attempt

Deadlift
540-opener
573-second attempt

If I get these, my total will be 1648 and know I can get more on squat, but I may decide to play it conservative for this.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
PR day coming big man!! Tear this sh!t up.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hell yeah, man. Those are all well within your reach. It's going to be a good day.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Let's hear it! I'm guessing 675/455/605 for a 9 for 9 day!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just got home and got a 1629 total (633/423/573). While I didn't get my goal total, I know definitively why it did not happen: I had to wake up at 3:30 this morning and drive to the event instead of driving there yesterday. I didn't truly wake up until deadlifts came around and was worn out by this point. I went 6 for 8 (I scratched my third attempt on bench after I had a massive lumbar cramp on the second attempt) on the day and my two misses (second attempt squat and third attempt deadlifts) were due to poor technique. On the squat, I had a bad unrack, rushed the descent and my upper back rounded. On deads, I lost the grip about 2/3 of the way up. I'll post the videos soon.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's still impressive as hell. Looking forward to seeing those videos. Good job.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Henry Thomason competed right?
He bombed out on his squat, but did the rest of the meet for some reason. Donnie Thompson was there as an announcer and also did a short rehab demo.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
He bombed out on his squat, but did the rest of the meet for some reason. Donnie Thompson was there as an announcer and also did a short rehab demo.
That's disappointing, seeing as his squat is what's advertised most by Titan.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's disappointing, seeing as his squat is what's advertised most by Titan.
He bombs on his squat all the time, but he competes every month. He took his opener, missed depth by about 3", and then called it.