• Established
2/26

Flat DB Press
90x8x4

Meadows Rows
115x12
135x10
135x10-drop-90x10

HS Rows (pronated)/Pullaparts (pronated and supinated)
135x10/10/10
135x10/10/10

Facepulls/Dual Band Ex Rotation (mini)
100x15/15
100x15/15
100x15/15

Tate Press/BB Curl
35x15/95x8
40x10/95x8
40x10/95x8

This was simply about getting some blood flowing and focusing more on the smaller muscles. It was a lot of volume, but most of it is very low on demand (outside of the drop set) and nothing was to failure.

2/27

Speed Pulls
345x2x10

GM
225x8x4

Standing Cable Crunches/DB Side Bends
110x15/80x10
110x15/80x10
110x15/80x10

I took some extra caffeine before this session and was humming right along the entire time. I only have a few more sessions of non-speed pulling and I already have opener established: 545. This is a very conservative number for me to total and because I don't know how I will feel by this time.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Opener is there just for confidence...then you get after it

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
3/1Bench
Worked up to 495x1 (3-board)
455x1 (2-board)
425x1 (1-board)

Band Pullapart Series (mini)
3 sets of 10

Today sucked. Flat out ****ing sucked. I couldn't get tight enough at any point and felt like my back was flat on the bench. I was able to complete my reps, but with about 1/3 of the speed as last week. Physically, I feel fine, but I guess the CNS stayed on the couch on this day and next week will be a full deload. Not just a raw week, but a complete deload. After that, I will have three training weeks left and most of them will be openers and second attempts.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm sure you'll get right into it after your deload. Do you feel your other lifts are being affected?

I haven't even started thinking about openers, I suppose I should though.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm sure you'll get right into it after your deload. Do you feel your other lifts are being affected?

I haven't even started thinking about openers, I suppose I should though.
Wednesday felt fine, so I'm hoping that this was just an aberration.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
We wish every session could be PR'ville but that isn't reality. Like you said, you got it done so you kept moving forward. Reload and take aim at where you are headed bubba.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
3/3

Squat

Worked up to 565x1 (briefs)
605x1 (suit)
655x1 (suit)

Ab Wheel
BWx10x4

Tried out the Metal Jack briefs today and they are freaking incredible. They are without a doubt the most comfortable brief that I've ever used that still supplied support. These not only provided great hip support, but I felt like I was shot out of a damn cannon. There is some incredible tightness with the suit on top, but I will adjust to that and I need to lose about 10 pounds to make weight.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's some incredible speed with that kind of weight.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They're a brief made for someone that is very flexible in that they provide great support even with a very wide stance. I was able to move mine out ~2" each side and didn't lose any support in the hips. One thing about them, though, is that you cannot get these on without some help. I can usually get a pair above my waist before I need to hang from a bar, but I couldn't get these my hips without the help of the crew. These briefs are a godsend for someone with large thighs like myself since most briefs are relatively small in the thighs (Ace, for example), but these have relatively proportionate thigh/hip room. As you can tell, I am really excited about these briefs and may actually get the suit as well, but that will be in June at the earliest.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I am selling my Metal Pro briefs (size 46) for $80.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
3/6

Speed Pulls
345x3x10

GM
135x10x2
225x10x2

Standing Cable Crunches
100x15x4

Typical speed session. Not my best effort, but got some work in and blood flowing.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
3/8

Speed Bench
185x3x6

DB Press
90x8x3

HS Row (neutral grip)
180x10x4

Rolling Ex/Facepulls/Rope Pressdowns
35x12/120x12/70x12
35x12/120x12/70x10

3/10

Squat
405x3x3

SSB GM
170x10
220x8x2

Ab Wheel
BWx12x4

Deloading is complete and I now have ~3 training weeks left. I have 3 heavy squat, 3 heavy bench, and 1-2 heavy pull. My last real session will be heavy pulls on 4/3 and that will be my opener (545), which is maybe ~90% for me.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
3/12

Sumo

Worked up to 575x2 (straps up; projected second attempt)

Cambered GM

235x10
295x10x3

DB Side Bends
85x10
100x10x2

Standing Cable Crunches
120x15
140x15x2

As of today, I am 31 days away from the meet and I will not be pulling this heavy again; my other pulling sessions will be speed days and my opener on 4/3. I realized that I hadn't be using my intra-WO drink over the past 10 days or so and I had been gassing out really early in my sessions and I was starting to get worried about my work capacity until I realized the change. Squat and deads are solid and I am very confident about hitting my 1st and 2nd attempts on each (605 and 650 for squat; 545 and 575 for deads). Bench, on the other hand, is still a lot more shaky than I'd like it to be. If worse comes to worse, I'll take a token raw bench just to get in a total.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is 575 your best double? What do you do intra?
I'm pretty sure that it's my best double. I had a triple in me, but it's kinda pointless at this stage of training. Intra is 10g BCAA and 1 scoop Gatorade powder (~50g carbs).

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How far from Elite are you? I saw Westside looking for people to train there.... If only my total were 1,000lbs more..

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How far from Elite are you?
For 220, I've got a ways. For 198, I'm not too far off. If everything goes well, I can get a 700lb squat and 600lb pull at this meet, but it's my bench that is holding me back. Once I get up to 480-510 on bench, I will be on the cusp of Elite.

I haven't been overly diligent nutrition wise for this meet and with no weight cut. My main priority has been to get in sufficient calories as opposed to focusing on the quality of them. For the next meet, however, I will be looking to get down to about 210-212 and then cut to 198. I'm about 225 right now and am going to drop about 6-8lbs before the meet so my squat gear isn't so ridiculously tight.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I haven't been overly diligent nutrition wise for this meet and with no weight cut. My main priority has been to get in sufficient calories as opposed to focusing on the quality of them. For the next meet, however, I will be looking to get down to about 210-212 and then cut to 198. I'm about 225 right now and am going to drop about 6-8lbs before the meet so my squat gear isn't so ridiculously tight.
Eh I'm on the same boat as ya. I thought about dropping to 198 but I'm no where near experienced enough to drop 27lbs without taking a hit on my numbers. I thought I read on here some place you follow the Paleo diet.. or was that someone else?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Eh I'm on the same boat as ya. I thought about dropping to 198 but I'm no where near experienced enough to drop 27lbs without taking a hit on my numbers. I thought I read on here some place you follow the Paleo diet.. or was that someone else?
While I was fighting, yes, I ate Paleo. Once I started seriously training for PL, I needed to "dirty" it up to put on some mass. I still eat gluten-free most of the time, but I eat a ton of rice, which isn't Paleo.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I still eat gluten-free most of the time, but I eat a ton of rice, which isn't Paleo.
Nor gatorade. Paleo would be impossible for me.

We'll all be disappointed if you dont post videos of your meet BTW

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nor gatorade. Paleo would be impossible for me.

We'll all be disappointed if you dont post videos of your meet BTW
My wife will be there taking video. I need to get video so I can see what I did right and wrong.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I definitely notice a difference just adding in 1 scoop of modern to my pre as far as fatigue goes. I thought about carbs as I train in the morning but was unsure if it mattered if you have an insulin spike during a workout since it decreases hgh...I could be way off, but still can't figure out solid answers. Any thoughts?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I definitely notice a difference just adding in 1 scoop of modern to my pre as far as fatigue goes. I thought about carbs as I train in the morning but was unsure if it mattered if you have an insulin spike during a workout since it decreases hgh...I could be way off, but still can't figure out solid answers. Any thoughts?
Don't worry about the acute increases in GH, test, IGF-1, etc. Having a strong and productive training session will be far more fruitful than trying to micromanage the hormonal response.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Don't worry about the acute increases in GH, test, IGF-1, etc. Having a strong and productive training session will be far more fruitful than trying to micromanage the hormonal response.
Do you think something like dextrose would be better for it's fast breakdown, or a complex carb?

And thank you. Now I don't have to think about it and waste my time.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you think something like dextrose would be better for it's fast breakdown, or a complex carb?

Dextrose for the win

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

The reason I use Gatorade is for the dextrose.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
3/13

Speed Bench (alternate middle finger and pinky on rings)
185x2x6

DB Rows
145x17

BB Curls/Pullaparts (mini)
95x10/15
95x10/15

Pressdowns
100x15x3

Side Laterals
30x15x2

In a weird twist, it seems like I've gained more speed than when I was regularly doing DE and the bar weight is heavier. I was really able to engage my legs into these and the bar popped off of my chest. To spare my shoulders, I'm keeping the pressing assistance rather low until post meet and the assistance work I'm doing is mainly to get blood into the area and for postural purposes.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds like you are finding your groove with the bench. Perfect timing! Those DB rows are Kroc like. Lol

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Would doing speed lifts shirted help at all with this?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Would doing speed lifts shirted help at all with this?
Not really and that is one of my contentions with the DE. The discrepancies between raw and geared numbers are so large that the percentage used is very low. However, it is used more for the neural aspect to learn to engage additional motor units.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Got it. So would doing doubles or triples shirted provide some sort of groove assistance?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Got it. So would doing doubles or triples shirted provide some sort of groove assistance?
I think it's more of needing additional comfort with touching in a shirt. I've only done it a handful of times and it's different now than when I first did it since I am about 15lbs heavier.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Guess you answered it right there...suit up and bust out some lifts until the groove is found. That is what I ment by doubles or triples. Maybe in the 80% range?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Guess you answered it right there...suit up and bust out some lifts until the groove is found. That is what I ment by doubles or triples. Maybe in the 80% range?
Using a double-ply shirt is ironic in that you need a weight heavy enough to touch, but light enough to be able to press. I don't think I've seen anyone touch more than a single in a shirt because it takes so long to actually get the weight there .

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's crazy! This is all a new world for me now that my son is training for it. He comes home tomorrow and we are going to test his maxes to see where he is. He wants to compete in his first comp in May.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's crazy! This is all a new world for me now that my son is training for it. He comes home tomorrow and we are going to test his maxes to see where he is. He wants to compete in his first comp in May.
If it's single-ply, then it's not as bad. I can touch 275 in a single ply, but I can barely move 365 in a double-ply shirt.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sheds some light on what those shirts bring to the table.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
3/15

Bench

405x1 (1-board)
455x1 (1-board)

Tate Press/Pullaparts
45x15/15
45x15/15
45x15/15

After a rough start to the day, I rebounded and hit my groove. This is really the wrong time to be making adjustments, but I moved the collar up and the sleeves higher on my arm. It took a couple of sets to get it going since the technique was slightly different in terms of elbow position and tucking. This groove had me staying wider until about a 3-board level, which is where I'd have to start tucking and drifting. My legs weren't 100% under me and my final sets didn't have great speed to them, but they were smooth.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's your grip like equipped vs raw?
It almost depends on the day. Sometimes, it's the ring finger or it might be the middle finger. I usually start with the ring finger and then move out if everything feels good.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
3/17
Squat (full gear and straps up)

Worked up to my planned second attempt: ~650x1

I did this with reverse bands at first to tee how much the straps were going to bite. It looks a tad high, but I'll take it since I haven't gone straps up this year and this was maybe the 4th time that I've done it period.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It might have been a little high but it sure exploded out of the hole bubba!