Why do my Quads Cramp Up after Leg Day

dreamcrusher

Awards
I'm currently doing 5/3/1 and I don't know why but everytime on leg day, once I'm done and later in the day, my quads cramp up. Specifically, my inner quads (Vastus Medialis). I can't figure as to what might be causing this? I notice that it's more severe when I do leg extensions.

Anyone ever have this happen and how did you fix it?

And yes I hydrate properly.

dreamcrusher

Awards
What do you do for warmups/stretching/mobility
I usually start off by doing a light 5 minute jog on the treadmill or 5 minutes on the elliptical. I then stretch the groin, glutes, hip flexors, hamstrings and then warm-up with the prescribed weight in the 5/3/1 program.

Skipper999

Awards
Do a cool down after.
Think about if you have muscle imbalances that could be straining the quads as a result.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Foam roll the anterior portion of your leg and see if ya find a trigger point. Bet ya find more than 1 tender spot but observe for a muscle spasm or referred pain associated with one spot in particular.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I have this happen but the only way it doesn't happen to me is if I don't give it my all or lift like a wuss. Seriously. I would say eat for repair, hydration, potassium and creatine should help.

dreamcrusher

Awards
I am taking creatine and also suspect that I might have a muscle imbalance with my inner quads in which they are being over worked some how.

I will definitely start doing some foam rolling after my workouts to avoid any soreness and loosen the muscles up.

I am on my second cycle of the 5/3/1 program and it is brutal but I like it. What supplement has done wonders for recovery for you?

I am thinking of getting some HMB to aid with recovery. Any suggestions?

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I have not found anything that makes it stop. I have had some relief using muscle cream from efts, ice and mamouth amounts of calories lol.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am taking creatine and also suspect that I might have a muscle imbalance with my inner quads in which they are being over worked some how.
2 cents...
Not sure specifically if an imbalance would cause cramps.
I might get off the creatine for a few weeks or so and see if they stop.
I go by making the easiest single changes, then one can usually zero in, on what actually is the cause.

Not sure about the HMB and it is costly. Magnesium may help however.

TexasGuy

Awards
Magnesium works wonders. Personally, I like a hot bath with epsom salt twice per week, and one of the days is always a leg day. Extremely relaxing.

With that said, make sure you are actually hydrated. Drink as much water as you think you should each day and then a little more, especially if you take a bath, they make you sweat too.

Stretch after you workout. And after a hot bath. You are warmed up, loose, can reach a little further and loosen up tight muscles.

Try a mineral supplement, not just magnesium, for a full spectrum of electrolytes and other minerals.

I'm not a product rep, I don't know if Millennium Sport Technologies has a presence here but I've always liked their ZMK product as part of a recovery supplement regimen. (ZMK, not ZMA)

They have another one called Athlytes as well, a specific electrolyte formulation you may want to look in to. I'm sure companies that advertise here have a similar product too.

A benefit supplements like these is that you get proper ratios. No blocked or otherwise compromised absorption issues which could also be a potential problem for you in your diet/supplement regimen.

dreamcrusher

Awards
Magnesium works wonders. Personally, I like a hot bath with epsom salt twice per week, and one of the days is always a leg day. Extremely relaxing.

With that said, make sure you are actually hydrated. Drink as much water as you think you should each day and then a little more, especially if you take a bath, they make you sweat too.

Stretch after you workout. And after a hot bath. You are warmed up, loose, can reach a little further and loosen up tight muscles.

Try a mineral supplement, not just magnesium, for a full spectrum of electrolytes and other minerals.

I'm not a product rep, I don't know if Millennium Sport Technologies has a presence here but I've always liked their ZMK product as part of a recovery supplement regimen. (ZMK, not ZMA)

They have another one called Athlytes as well, a specific electrolyte formulation you may want to look in to. I'm sure companies that advertise here have a similar product too.

A benefit supplements like these is that you get proper ratios. No blocked or otherwise compromised absorption issues which could also be a potential problem for you in your diet/supplement regimen.
I actually have some ZMK but haven't been taking it because I was PCT (550-XD) and was taking PCT Black with 3G of DAA at bedtime (10 caps total!) so I didn't want to take 14 caps but now that I'm off I will be taking it again.

TexasGuy

Awards
I actually have some ZMK but haven't been taking it because I was PCT (550-XD) and was taking PCT Black with 3G of DAA at bedtime (10 caps total!) so I didn't want to take 14 caps but now that I'm off I will be taking it again.
It's entirely possible you were dehydrated taking all those capsules before a 7-8 hour break from any water intake. I'm not familiar with the specific products you took but many PCT products can have a "drying" effect. I have a feeling as you close out those bottles you won't be experiencing your extreme cramps, in the mean time, up your water intake.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm currently doing 5/3/1 and I don't know why but everytime on leg day, once I'm done and later in the day, my quads cramp up. Specifically, my inner quads (Vastus Medialis). I can't figure as to what might be causing this? I notice that it's more severe when I do leg extensions.

Anyone ever have this happen and how did you fix it?

And yes I hydrate properly.
One word. Potassium. Simple answer if you're deficient. Potassium and sodium are very important. Track it.4.5 grams is recommended for athletes.