ALA brand and types

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
I have used a lot of Alpha Lipoic Acid over the past year and a half, especially since it became popular. Usually I have used the racemic simply because of price but think I am going back to the r-ALA. Now, my question for those who use either or both, is why is everyone against BAC's R-ala powder. I have used their racemic powder and enjoy it, and their r-ala powder is good priced as well. Bobo, anyone? Fonz has mentioned that its really 80/20 but they offer cert of analysis so I am not sure how this is possible. Has anyone tried it? thanks

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
What have you heard against the r-ala powder? That would be a start, otherwise I'm not sure how to answer the question. I have heard of the possible degradation of ala due to UV light, or other air exposure, but those seem to be doubtful also now.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
That's what I was wondering (how Fonz knew) but others on three different boards seemed to say the same. Fonz mentioned that the r-ala from BAC was 80 percent r and 20 percent s so still somewhat of a racemic blend. I am not sure if he tested this with blood glucose analysis like he did with others, but he claims the only two good brands are AF and 1fast400. Also, what type you using?

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I use Mike's at 1fast, but I just ordered Syntrax's today. Unless I see some verifiable evidence, I don't see how Fonz can claim it is 80/20. Basically I have no idea if it's pure or nor, but I certainly won't take his word for it ;)

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Thats what I thought....so what makes you guys order syntrax or 1fast verse BAC's powder then. Simply cap over free form powder? Because BAC's is 20grams for 17 bucks.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Well, since no one seems to have any experience with it...I went with BAC's r-ala powder. I have been using the racemic mix so I am going to see if I notice a difference between the two. Also, I had them send me a cert of analysis from theirs and a third party. Both checked out. We shall see.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
Thats what I thought....so what makes you guys order syntrax or 1fast verse BAC's powder then. Simply cap over free form powder? Because BAC's is 20grams for 17 bucks.
very simple once ala hits the air its done..or thats the rumor

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
That has been proven false and I can verify that. I have used ALA powder for a long time now, and have never noticed this oxidation bs. I've read other research that suggests that encapsulating ALA damages it as well. So it leaves us...

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
ok well i did call it a rumor..btw how were u able to tell? just curious scottyooooooooooo

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
... racemic works just fine for me... cheap as dog **** at walmart too... by the way, do you really want to listen to "Fonz"? I mean really? I dunno one way or the other, but isn't he the "year long cycle" dooder? oh and Weave a question for you sir... you've used both types eh? and are now working with the more expensive R-ALA? do you really notice changes that warrant the cost increase (however miniscule they may be in the long run). just curious.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
... ... WHY did I miss that thread? just been one of those weeks I guess :D my bad Wojo, good stuff there. I had always assumed (for some no doubt arbitrary and stupid reason) that one could just consume more of the cheaper type and save yourself some green at the expense of a little efficiency. whoops again ;)

Nelson

Have any of you used or heard whether Now Foods ALA is any good?
I know there are better brands, it`s just I can`t buy them where I am.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
where is that? now alright but its still a mix of s and r..

Nelson

Wojo
Now Foods ALA can be bought from dpsnutrition.com & netrition.com

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
lol i know that man...i was asking where u were that u couldnt get another brand