Does Beta Alanine Enhance Adaptations to Resistance Training?

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Probably not a shocker to some who have been following Beta Alanine research in resistance trained populations. In this study, 19 resistance-trained men (age: 27.3 ± 5.5 years; height: 178 ± 10 cm; body mass: 83.4 ± 9.7 kg; training experience: 5.9 ± 3.9 years) were assigned to either placebo, or Beta Alanine given 4x a day at 1.6g in each serving (6.4g overall). The Beta Alanine used was CarnoSyn, aka the “good stuff”. Placebo was just maltodextrin.

Training wise, the protocol was a 4x/week split. 3 sets per exercise performed to a 12 rep max. 60 seconds of rest between sets and 120 seconds between exercises.

Long story short, both the placebo group and supplementation group “induced significant strength and morphological responses. However, the addition of beta-alanine supplementation did not enhance these adaptive outcomes.”

What I like about this study is the dosage used. Some have theorized that the typical Beta Alanine dosage of 3.2g just may not be enough. This study used 6.4g. This of course doesn’t mean that maybe an even higher dosage wouldn’t find some benefit, but I think this study helps us see that Beta Alanine at typical dosages may not be of much use for the typical lifter. An argument could probably be made for something like cycling/running near max for 1-2 mins, but I don’t see a great argument for the typical gym goer doing a bodybuilding style workout.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I believe it does, but I've also read studies (few years back, don't remember what the source was so IL have to dig) but there were studies showing you needed to take 3g+ grams daily for at least 12 weeks consecutively for it to do its thing, and basically it was saying if your not consuming it daily for extended periods of time it's not really doing anything besides giving itchy tingles. It was part of the reason I wrote it off. Not because it doesn't work, but because i don't take my pre workout daily and didn't want to put the effort into a plain Beta alanine daily supplement. One of the big reasons it's put in pre workout is because ppl think that tingling sensation means there pre workout is "working" lol.

Hopefully someone who knows what I'm talking about can elaborate better then I.

I do believe it's a worthwhile supplement if used daily.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Good study.

I do like Beta Alanine myself and at a bit higher dosage than what is typically used.

I'd agree that maybe is not the absolute best for what many typically do for training, but I do think with extended use and consistency it can be beneficial if you have the right expectations.

I think the toughest thing for me is that I hate the tingles so I prefer to spread out the dosage, but then it becomes something you have to remember to consistently dose multiple times per day.

Best bet for me was to take 2 caps of SNS Beta Alanine with each meal (4x) per day to get 6ish grams spread out (if I remember this correctly) or to take an extra 3-4 caps of SNS Beta Alanine on top of whatever I was getting in other products.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I believe it does, but I've also read studies (few years back, don't remember what the source was so IL have to dig) but there were studies showing you needed to take 3g+ grams daily for at least 12 weeks consecutively for it to do its thing, and basically it was saying if your not consuming it daily for extended periods of time it's not really doing anything besides giving itchy tingles. It was part of the reason I wrote it off. Not because it doesn't work, but because i don't take my pre workout daily and didn't want to put the effort into a plain Beta alanine daily supplement. One of the big reasons it's put in pre workout is because ppl think that tingling sensation means there pre workout is "working" lol.

Yeah, similar to Creatine… needs to reach at a saturation point. Limitations in some studies (like a lot of supplement trials) are duration of time and also limited subjects.

For whatever it’s worth, I’ve used 6g+ daily for 3-4 months and didn’t find notable benefit from a hypertrophy or strength perspective.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Good study.

I do like Beta Alanine myself and at a bit higher dosage than what is typically used.

I'd agree that maybe is not the absolute best for what many typically do for training, but I do think with extended use and consistency it can be beneficial if you have the right expectations.

I think the toughest thing for me is that I hate the tingles so I prefer to spread out the dosage, but then it becomes something you have to remember to consistently dose multiple times per day.

Best bet for me was to take 2 caps of SNS Beta Alanine with each meal (4x) per day to get 6ish grams spread out (if I remember this correctly) or to take an extra 3-4 caps of SNS Beta Alanine on top of whatever I was getting in other products.
I’d also like to see more research into potential benefits around anti-aging and telemere lengthening as there seems to be some initial research into carnosine’s role in these things. Think it was either cell culture research or some species that are commonly researched when evaluating potential impact on life extension.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Yeah, similar to Creatine… needs to reach at a saturation point. Limitations in some studies (like a lot of supplement trials) are duration of time and also limited subjects.

For whatever it’s worth, I’ve used 6g+ daily for 3-4 months and didn’t find notable benefit from a hypertrophy or strength perspective.
Very understandable. Sometimes it's hard to gage a supplements effectiveness. Say your natural and making progress gaining 1lb of muscle per month "which is a lot for a natty and even hard on gear for some ppl." But if you were gaining 1lb a month naturally and a supplement gives you a 10% advantage "which is significant"
Now instead of gaining 1lb a month your gaining 1.1lbs a month.

After 3 months I don't think anyone could tell the difference between gaining 3lbs of muscle or 3.3lbs of muscle. But long term it would make a difference.

So maybe it did nothing for you, or the amount of gains is not significant enough to be measurable on a weekly or monthly basis

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I’d also like to see more research into potential benefits around anti-aging and telemere lengthening as there seems to be some initial research into carnosine’s role in these things. Think it was either cell culture research or some species that are commonly researched when evaluating potential impact on life extension.
That interests me more then the performance boost!

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

I know I have told the story before but: I had a customer RETURN a pre as it didn't "work." When I asked the customer to define "work" he said, "It didn't make me tingle." Of course the pre had ZERO BA in it but the customer had NO idea that BA is what caused tingles and simply assumed pre's all did it. dear lord.

Just the other day I had a reg customer, who is VERY jacked and experienced, state he didn't need BA as he didn't need fat loss from his pre...................FML...........how have people managed to develop such strong opinions while simultaneously remaining so poorly informed.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Very understandable. Sometimes it's hard to gage a supplements effectiveness. Say your natural and making progress gaining 1lb of muscle per month "which is a lot for a natty and even hard on gear for some ppl." But if you were gaining 1lb a month naturally and a supplement gives you a 10% advantage "which is significant"
Now instead of gaining 1lb a month your gaining 1.1lbs a month.

After 3 months I don't think anyone could tell the difference between gaining 3lbs of muscle or 3.3lbs of muscle. But long term it would make a difference.

So maybe it did nothing for you, or the amount of gains is not significant enough to be measurable on a weekly or monthly basis
Now imagine "life" gets "busy" and someone missed 5% of their meals and 5% of their training sessions.............................

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Beta Alanine may support cognitive function (older adults).

“Results suggested that BA supplementation can improve cognitive function in older adults whose cognitive function at baseline was at or below normal and possibly reduce depression scores.”

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Maybe a better Beta Alanine alternative? I don’t believe I’ve seen anserine before

@sns8778 just curious if you’ve seen raw material companies offering anserine?

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The study i always remember is the one where they combined creatine and beta-alanine and got a better response than one or the other.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
@sns8778 just curious if you’ve seen raw material companies offering anserine?
There were years ago but there is/was little to no interest in it and I hadn't seen or even thought about it in years.

If I remember correctly, you have one of those situations where the real world dosage required versus kg. costs just didn't make sense for real world type of benefits for the price.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
There were years ago but there is/was little to no interest in it and I hadn't seen or even thought about it in years.

If I remember correctly, you have one of those situations where the real world dosage required versus kg. costs just didn't make sense for real world type of benefits for the price.
Cool, and makes sense. Just was something new to me. Didn’t know if these researchers were using something that hadn’t made it to the supplement industry yet

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Cool, and makes sense. Just was something new to me. Didn’t know if these researchers were using something that hadn’t made it to the supplement industry yet
It's been around for a long time, just never really seemed to catch on or pan out in the real world.

And no worries, I always enjoy seeing you post about different stuff.