Topic of the Week: Better Pre Workout Ingredient?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you had to choose between L-Citrulline or Agmatine, what would choose and why?

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Agmatine, for its host of other benefits outside of pumps.

Potential nootropic-like effects
Selective nutrient partitioning
Slight mood boost
Potential impact on cAMP and fat loss

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
Agmatine, for its host of other benefits outside of pumps.

Potential nootropic-like effects
Selective nutrient partitioning
Slight mood boost
Potential impact on cAMP and fat loss
this, also while sleeping it helps for me get a deeper sleep

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Only one to use ever, agmatine for the multiple benefits

But pre workout for endurance effects and pump, for me personally Citrulline is an all-star Until HV release I added bulk CM to everything I used

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I normally use neither, but I guess Agmatine since it can be used for other purposes too.

warpyfunch

warpyfunch

Awards
  • Established
If there can be only one, Agmatine. It's better at pretty much everything, isn't it? For me at least.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
If there can be only one, Agmatine. It's better at pretty much everything, isn't it? For me at least.
Citrulline has human data supporting performance so it's impossible to conclusively say Agmatine is better. Agmatine lacks the human data that a lot of look for to determine efficacy.

warpyfunch

warpyfunch

Awards
  • Established
Citrulline has human data supporting performance so it's impossible to conclusively say Agmatine is better. Agmatine lacks the human data that a lot of look for to determine efficacy.
that's fair. i've used both extensively, as i'm sure many others have, and for the sample size of just me and myself it's been pretty conclusive. that said, they're both cheap enough that i doubt i'd ever have reason to do one without the other.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Surprised a bit by the overall choice of agmatine. I do remember De__eB liking citrulline better if I'm not mistaken.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Surprised a bit by the overall choice of agmatine. I do remember De__eB liking citrulline better if I'm not mistaken.
Because the thread title is pre workout, my answer was Citrulline

Its one of few things that offers a noticeable difference if I use or do not use it

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Citrulline for me, it actually has a conceivable impact on my endurance and recovery time vs not taking it. Pumps are a bonus. Agmatine is one of those things that has a whole host of potential benefits but in my experience are not very measurable.

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I take agmatine in the mornings these days and am generally more interested in other aspects of agmatine than the pump.

Agmatine is also possibly counterproductive with a2 stimulants.

--

It depends a lot on the product though.

I'm also a kitchen sink preworkout fan.

In big blend products, you've got room for 3...4...5...grams of citrulline per serving, at much cheaper cost than a gram of agmatine

If you're looking for a small scoop or capsule product though? Space is more valuable and going with something that's effective at a smaller dose is more important.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't know if there is any validity to this, but I also believe i read somewhere that agmatine may possess some mild analgesic properties. Also, i believe it may have shown to have some data showing anxiolytic effects? Both could be useful in a pre workout/pre-contest setting.

Edit: once again, i don't have any sources for this. I just know read it somewhere (i think maybe on here).

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
I like citrulline better and also benefit from it as someone with impaired ammonia detoxification. For pumps, I like glycerol better than either :D

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Agmatine is a pretty weak A2-agonist, though, eh?
It actually has high in vitro binding to the a2 receptor but it's plasma halflife (note: not CNS or tissue) is too short for any appreciable effects to occur. The a2 receptor, which should lower cAMP in vivo, is virtually unaffected in the murine model...in fact, agmatine RAISES cAMP in vivo

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
It actually has high in vitro binding to the a2 receptor but it's plasma halflife (note: not CNS or tissue) is too short for any appreciable effects to occur. The a2 receptor, which should lower cAMP in vivo, is virtually unaffected in the murine model...in fact, agmatine RAISES cAMP in vivo
Okay cool. Yeah IIRC, Agmatine plasma half life is mere minutes, while CNS and tissue is upwards of 12 hours.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agmatine, because a user has previously stated that it's the "Holy Grail" of supplements, and who doesn't want to take a supplement that compares to the cup of our Blessed Savior?

f54.jpg

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good question.

Assuming this is like all the other questions we pose and price, dose, etc. aren't considered options.

So if I'm answering this specifically focusing on pre-workout use and without a concern of cost, how long it will last based on dose, etc. (e.g. basically I have an unlimited supply of either):

I'm choosing citrulline (preferably as citrulline malate).

I like both for a number of reasons already discussed, but I have blood work from an amino acid profile that showed low arginine levels. I supplemented with citrulline malate, took the test again and was well up into the high end of normal range. My go-to pre-workout for the past year+ doesn't have citrulline in it, so I add 6g citrulline malate and love it. It has 500mg agmatine, but I didn't start using agmatine pre-workout until about that time. I currently take 500mg every morning upon rising as it has cumulative effects. Again, both have a ton of great benefits (which is why I use both), but picking only one to use and specifically pre-workout:

Citrulline >

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Good question.

Assuming this is like all the other questions we pose and price, dose, etc. aren't considered options.

So if I'm answering this specifically focusing on pre-workout use and without a concern of cost, how long it will last based on dose, etc. (e.g. basically I have an unlimited supply of either):

I'm choosing citrulline (preferably as citrulline malate).

I like both for a number of reasons already discussed, but I have blood work from an amino acid profile that showed low arginine levels. I supplemented with citrulline malate, took the test again and was well up into the high end of normal range. My go-to pre-workout for the past year+ doesn't have citrulline in it, so I add 6g citrulline malate and love it. It has 500mg agmatine, but I didn't start using agmatine pre-workout until about that time. I currently take 500mg every morning upon rising as it has cumulative effects. Again, both have a ton of great benefits (which is why I use both), but picking only one to use and specifically pre-workout:

Citrulline >
Why Cit. Mal instead of just straight Citrulline?

ahawk01

ahawk01

Banned
Awards
Gram per gram Agmatine. 4 grams of citrulline vs 1 gram Agmatine toss up.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why Cit. Mal instead of just straight Citrulline?
Not relevant to this discussion, but in general I do love the fact that it makes my pre-workouts taste better lol. It adds the perfect amount of tartness to them to improve them. I've used bulk l-citrulline, too and I don't really know why I'm partial to cit mal unless it's just that.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
For strictly pre, citrulline for me.

Overall tho, agmatine for the host of other benefits. I have to mega dose agmatine pre for a good pump effect whereas citrulline is gold for pumps

medinacirilo

medinacirilo

Awards
  • Established
I respond much better (pump-wise) to citrulline over agmatine

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Amentoflavone - power first, baby! :fing26:

Seriously though, agmatine - I never really notice as much from L-Cit, or Cit Mal, no matter how many (or few) grams I take, but 1-2g of Agmatine really lets me create some exceptional pumpage & vascularity. I don't notice a big enough difference in endurance between the two to bother rating them on that.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Not relevant to this discussion, but in general I do love the fact that it makes my pre-workouts taste better lol. It adds the perfect amount of tartness to them to improve them. I've used bulk l-citrulline, too and I don't really know why I'm partial to cit mal unless it's just that.
lol, agreed! I used to go 6g of Cit. Mal with a scoop of Focus XT. Love the taste.

jabroni

Awards
This is close, but I give the edge to citrulline if dosed properly. When underdosed, it's worthless for me, but I love it when I get a full 6-8 grams of CM.

Lexonis

Lexonis

Awards
preffer Citrulline Malate. I get the painfull pumps from Agmatine and I need to dose 1g everyday to see the pump benefits and its still a expensive ingredient

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
i don't have much experience with agmatine, ran it once.. wasn't impressed.. maybe will have to run it again

but cit malate definitely for endurance and pump.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
On a side note.... Has anyone seen this profile
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1433561375.335083.jpg

plifter42

Awards
Both obviously give me nice pumps, but citrulline malate never fails me, kind of like creatine mono in that sense. Works every time and some products underdose agmatine... just my .02

Lexonis

Lexonis

Awards
that's the new version from Dedicated VasoGrow

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
that's the new version from Dedicated VasoGrow
Yeah, I saw it last night. I've never heard of that company and the price point isn't as outrageous as I thought it would be considering it's 50 servings

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I'll give the nod to citrulline, as I think I respond better to that over agmatine.