Still looking for a 6 pack, now with Fat Free - Sponsored

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, I've spent years trying to reach a 6 pack. Seems like every year as I get close something (vacation, injury, etc) derails me as I get to the 12% bodyfat range and I can't quite make it there. This year, I'm starting at pretty close to as lean as i've ever been and no vacation till june, and minimal business travel the next few months. That and i've got fat free from applied nutraceuticals to help.

Fat free is an interesting product

One of its main fat loss mechanisms is the Ursolic acid, which is gaining populatiry/momentum as an ingredient. But what also stood out to me is the DHEA. Lets do some math for a second here. Each cap is 700mg. The caffeine has to be more or less 100mg to be meaningful/relevant, and also i'd guess that the hordenine is around 50mg so that sort of amount for caffeine makes sense. Remember that the ingedients are listed in order of amounts, greatest to smallest. And 150mg (maybe more) for ursolic acid makes sense, as thats the dose used in Ursabolic. But what that also means is the DHEA is somewhere in the 100-150mg range per cap, or 300-450mg a day. Although thats high for general DHEA dosing, its still below what AX used in Superdrol NG (170mg/cap). its definitely intriguing.

As for me, I'm 44, previously obese, started in the gym at 39 having not looked at a gym or exercise seriously since high school. Here's a current pic

My workout routine varies, but I think i've hit on a new schedule to make it work more consistently. That has been my biggest weakness, and I think it is for many people, consistency. General plan is working as a split of chest/back/legs with arms done every workout if possible. I shoot for 3-4 major exercises for each body part, 4 sets of relatively high reps most of the time (10-15), with sets 3+4 done to failure. Not particularly looking for much more in size other than maybe arms.

Diet is more interesting :) I'm using Lean Gains/Intermittent fasting, but with a lower carbohydrate level than is normally used for it. I'm at a level that would put me ketogenic on burn days, and just barely above that on build days.

For those not familiar with IF or Lean Gains, its a protocol where you have 8 hours eating, 16 hours of not eating every day. So I don't start eating till 12 noon, and I stop by 8. I work out at 7-8am most days, so not only do I have nothing preworkout, but don't eat postworkout for 4 hours. On the normal lean gains eating, you have protein stay close to the same all days, with build days being high carb and moderate to low fat, on burn days you have low carb and moderate to high fat. Particularly for fat loss, build days are meant to be at or slightly over maintenance, and burn days 30% or so below, which is right about where I am. Protein sources are mixed, chicken, beef, fish, eggs, and dairy. Fat sources are mostly nuts and cheese.

What did I leave out? My cardio schedule. Why did I leave it out? because I don't do any. I've had arthritis since 25 so it sucks and is painful, its boring, the positive value to fat loss is somewhat questionable, and I don't really have the time. its already hard enough to try and get in 4 hours for strength workouts, adding another 2-3 hours past that is impossible. With a wife, 3 kids, job, etc there aren't enough hours to go around.

On the positive value of cardio being somewhat questionable, the bottom line boils down to it being easier to clip 400 calories out of my eating than to do 400 calories worth of cardio. Although there are other benefits to cardio, I do get regular blood tests and everything is nice and clean so i'm not concerned with it at the moment.

Other supplements I'll be using - not a whole lot. I'll use preworkouts occasionally, switching between a few different ones. I use RecoverPro BCAAs during my workouts. outside of that, fish oil, multivitamins, glutamine peptides, added taurine, and l-carnitine l-tartrate.

I started with one cap this morning, weight on the scale was an even 200. And so it begins, lets hope I reach 6 pack this year finally!

D2footballjrc

D2footballjrc

Awards
Subbed. Very much looking forward to seeing this log!

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im subbed Easy.

IF keto is what I am plannin on doing.. I want to do a IF/Primal type deal. Very interested to hearing what you have to say and your experiences here .

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd kind of like to go full prmal/paleo diet wise, but i didn't really enjoy it when I tried it. On my build days, my carb sources are usually total junk - ice cream, hostess cupcakes, drakes funny bones, cinnamon rolls, pizza, pancakes with syrup, etc. It seems to work well as I get in the "treat" foods so I don't feel the need for a full cheat meal/day but it also limits the harm.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd kind of like to go full prmal/paleo diet wise, but i didn't really enjoy it when I tried it. On my build days, my carb sources are usually total junk - ice cream, hostess cupcakes, drakes funny bones, cinnamon rolls, pizza, pancakes with syrup, etc. It seems to work well as I get in the "treat" foods so I don't feel the need for a full cheat meal/day but it also limits the harm.
Ah. Me being gluten intolerant tends to pretty much eliminate all of that from my diet regardless lol. Thanks though. I think I'm going to begin it's implication sooner than later. I've done IF before but my main problem was dropping too low in cals cause I just didn't have the time to eat. I have a very slow digestive system so eating more than 3k cals in 8 hrs really is bad for business in the morning.

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
SUBBED EASY!

My log is up as well. Lets see if we can get these abs together! I know we have both been long members here on AM... no reason we shouldnt be in awesome shape by now! RIGHT?!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Subbed!

Well, I've spent years trying to reach a 6 pack. Seems like every year as I get close something (vacation, injury, etc) derails me as I get to the 12% bodyfat range and I can't quite make it there.
i have been chasing the same thing myself brother! My problem is I end up getting in my own way and making some excuse and end up slacking on the training and diet (family, school, work, kids, vacation, illness, etc.)

One of its main fat loss mechanisms is the Ursolic acid, which is gaining populatiry/momentum as an ingredient. But what also stood out to me is the DHEA. Lets do some math for a second here. Each cap is 700mg. The caffeine has to be more or less 100mg to be meaningful/relevant, and also i'd guess that the hordenine is around 50mg so that sort of amount for caffeine makes sense. Remember that the ingedients are listed in order of amounts, greatest to smallest. And 150mg (maybe more) for ursolic acid makes sense, as thats the dose used in Ursabolic. But what that also means is the DHEA is somewhere in the 100-150mg range per cap, or 300-450mg a day. Although thats high for general DHEA dosing, its still below what AX used in Superdrol NG (170mg/cap). its definitely intriguing.
nice math! lol.. you really put some thought into this huh?

That has been my biggest weakness, and I think it is for many people, consistency.
same here!

For those not familiar with IF or Lean Gains, its a protocol where you have 8 hours eating, 16 hours of not eating every day. So I don't start eating till 12 noon, and I stop by 8. I work out at 7-8am most days, so not only do I have nothing preworkout, but don't eat postworkout for 4 hours.
any aminos during your fasted period? (intra or post?)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
SUBBED EASY!

My log is up as well. Lets see if we can get these abs together! I know we have both been long members here on AM... no reason we shouldnt be in awesome shape by now! RIGHT?!
post a link to it here too :)

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
Im in.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if theres any particulare details anyone wants me to go deeper in (specifics on diet for instance) I will. Already having some placebo/perceivo (my own word) effect I think. Woke up today looking more vascular and leaner than normal, the skin on my biceps and quads looked "tight". Off to the gym in a few minutes for legs.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
if theres any particulare details anyone wants me to go deeper in (specifics on diet for instance) I will. Already having some placebo/perceivo (my own word) effect I think. Woke up today looking more vascular and leaner than normal, the skin on my biceps and quads looked "tight". Off to the gym in a few minutes for legs.
Maybe just let us know what your macro spread is? I know you do IF so it's going to be over two or three meals. But if you could tell us your workout day nutrition and non workout and perhaps a daily sample :)?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Generally my build day macros are around 250p/150c/100f and burn days around 250p/50c/80f give or take a little. I'll put up today's eats later once I eat em :)

leg day today, its probably been almost a month since I worked legs between work, being sick and other interruptions. but still not bad

hack squats 180x12 270x10 360x5 180x15 180x9
seated calf raises 115x15 115x15 115x14 115x14
seated leg curls 90x15 115x12 130x11 - note these I don't quite go to real failure, I've had 3 bad hamstring strains/light tears over the last 2 years so i'm cautious.

and somehow by that point I was so nauseous I decided it was good enough. Seems like the combination of fat free + mesomorph as a preworkout was a bit too much stim to feel good on. Next workout day i'll go without a preworkout. today I felt like I needed it as it was a 5am workout, but I could have done without.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so breakfast today was

12 oz cottage cheese - 18p 12c 0f
20oz hood calorie countdown chocolate milk - 15p net 10c (subtracting fiber) 4.5f
1 scoop monster milk vanilla - 25p net 4c 3f
2 slices of Sami's Bakery (local) low carb 7 grain raisin bread 2p net 6c 8g
2 tbsp Maranatha no stir almond butter 6p net 4c 17f
2 drakes funny bones 5p 36c 16f

for a total of 71p (a little low for breakfast), 72c, 48.5f so a total of 1008 calories. This is more or less normal macros for a build day, usually protein is a bit higher though, more like 100-110. The items aren't quite my usual mix, I don't often have so much dairy in a single meal. But I've had tuna too often lately and no other ready fast to make meats in the house.

if you don't know what they are, this is funny bones

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dinner was from a rotisserie chicken
1 reduced fat cheese stick 6p 2c 6f
2 breast 66f 8c 4f
1 drum and thigh 31p 3c 15f
30Oz hood calorie countdown skim 18p 4c 0f
6 asparagus spears
1/2 cup tabbouleh 7p 37c 5f

1050 calories more or less.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dinner was from a rotisserie chicken
1 reduced fat cheese stick 6p 2c 6f
2 breast 66f 8c 4f
1 drum and thigh 31p 3c 15f
30Oz hood calorie countdown skim 18p 4c 0f
6 asparagus spears
1/2 cup tabbouleh 7p 37c 5f

1050 calories more or less.
This dinner sounds great!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
total macros for the day 199p 126c 78.5f. So a little lower on fat than normal, but basically on target for the others. Its funny, I don't particularly plan meals too heavily, but tend to eat to those macros more or less automatically at this point.

Theres times I eat a whole rotisserie chicken, but was still feeling bloated from all the dairy lunchtime I guess.

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
Its only day 2 for me and a couple more for the rest of you guys... I am impatiently waiting to see how well this works for us after a week or 2!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm thinking it should work out pretty well. My diet is under control, an I have no travel till the Arnold so I can keep my workout schedule

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm thinking it should work out pretty well. My diet is under control, an I have no travel till the Arnold so I can keep my workout schedule
Its only day 2 for me and a couple more for the rest of you guys... I am impatiently waiting to see how well this works for us after a week or 2!

I am always impatiently wanting results, sometimes we need to wait for a week or 2 which is frustrating as you wonder, "Does this stuff work?"

Keep up the work guys, I wanna see the results!!

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Been using it for a couple days myself.
Subd!

Young JD

Awards
In I wonder if you went paleo weither the dhea may help with mood good luck brother hopefully your sucsusses inspire me for when I lean out after my sore backs fully heeled and I can work out as hard as I like before I run atd solo going in to my next cycle

drooks10

drooks10

Awards
  • Established
In to see how you progress!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In I wonder if you went paleo weither the dhea may help with mood good luck brother hopefully your sucsusses inspire me for when I lean out after my sore backs fully heeled and I can work out as hard as I like before I run atd solo going in to my next cycle
my problem with paleo seems to be getting enough total calories in. Last time I went paleo for a month, I got to where I was eating half a pound of peanut or almond butter a day just to make total calories

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Theres times I eat a whole rotisserie chicken, but was still feeling bloated from all the dairy lunchtime I guess.
Oh I do this quit often.. It isnt as hard to do.. Especially coming out of a fast.

my problem with paleo seems to be getting enough total calories in. Last time I went paleo for a month, I got to where I was eating half a pound of peanut or almond butter a day just to make total calories
Really? What was the total calorie that you were trying to hit?

I recently got me a food processor and have been making my own nut butters. Best money I ever spent on a kitchen appliance. Cashews, pecans, hazelnuts, etc.. Mix in some EVCO, cocoa nibs and walden chocolate syrup and I have a hard time bot eating an entire jar! I just need to find a place to get nuts from in bulk for a decent price.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh I do this quit often.. It isnt as hard to do.. Especially coming out of a fast.

I recently got me a food processor and have been making my own nut butters. Best money I ever spent on a kitchen appliance. Cashews, pecans, hazelnuts, etc.. Mix in some EVCO, cocoa nibs and walden chocolate syrup and I have a hard time bot eating an entire jar! I just need to find a place to get nuts from in bulk for a decent price.
JudoJosh this is an excellent idea! Once I move back home to Hawaii I will most likely be investing in one of these!
And Eric, I think if you follow a higher fat diet you can get those cals in. I usually get them in by eating only fattier meats. And if I do eat chicken breast I will have Coconut oil inbetween meals. Around 2 TBSPs 3x during my "feast" phase.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, I've spent years trying to reach a 6 pack. Seems like every year as I get close something (vacation, injury, etc) derails me as I get to the 12% bodyfat range and I can't quite make it there. This year, I'm starting at pretty close to as lean as i've ever been and no vacation till june, and minimal business travel the next few months. That and i've got fat free from applied nutraceuticals to help.

As for me, I'm 44, previously obese, started in the gym at 39 having not looked at a gym or exercise seriously since high school. Here's a current pic

My workout routine varies, but I think i've hit on a new schedule to make it work more consistently. That has been my biggest weakness, and I think it is for many people, consistency. General plan is working as a split of chest/back/legs with arms done every workout if possible. I shoot for 3-4 major exercises for each body part, 4 sets of relatively high reps most of the time (10-15), with sets 3+4 done to failure. Not particularly looking for much more in size other than maybe arms.

Diet is more interesting :) I'm using Lean Gains/Intermittent fasting, but with a lower carbohydrate level than is normally used for it. I'm at a level that would put me ketogenic on burn days, and just barely above that on build days.

For those not familiar with IF or Lean Gains, its a protocol where you have 8 hours eating, 16 hours of not eating every day. So I don't start eating till 12 noon, and I stop by 8. I work out at 7-8am most days, so not only do I have nothing preworkout, but don't eat postworkout for 4 hours. On the normal lean gains eating, you have protein stay close to the same all days, with build days being high carb and moderate to low fat, on burn days you have low carb and moderate to high fat. Particularly for fat loss, build days are meant to be at or slightly over maintenance, and burn days 30% or so below, which is right about where I am. Protein sources are mixed, chicken, beef, fish, eggs, and dairy. Fat sources are mostly nuts and cheese.

What did I leave out? My cardio schedule. Why did I leave it out? because I don't do any. I've had arthritis since 25 so it sucks and is painful, its boring, the positive value to fat loss is somewhat questionable, and I don't really have the time. its already hard enough to try and get in 4 hours for strength workouts, adding another 2-3 hours past that is impossible. With a wife, 3 kids, job, etc there aren't enough hours to go around.

On the positive value of cardio being somewhat questionable, the bottom line boils down to it being easier to clip 400 calories out of my eating than to do 400 calories worth of cardio. Although there are other benefits to cardio, I do get regular blood tests and everything is nice and clean so i'm not concerned with it at the moment.

Other supplements I'll be using - not a whole lot. I'll use preworkouts occasionally, switching between a few different ones. I use RecoverPro BCAAs during my workouts. outside of that, fish oil, multivitamins, glutamine peptides, added taurine, and l-carnitine l-tartrate.

I started with one cap this morning, weight on the scale was an even 200. And so it begins, lets hope I reach 6 pack this year finally!
I just noticed this Log everything looks great. I'm a big fan of the IF Lean Gains. I think it works wonders. EasyEJL I gotta say for 44 years old you put alot of 20 year old guys to shame.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I think I was shooting for 3200 at the time. It was a royal pain :D

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think I was shooting for 3200 at the time. It was a royal pain :D
1lb ground beef
1lb chorizo sausage
4 tbsp spicy guacamole
2oz mexican blend cheese

Problem solved! :p

It is easy to eat the above in one sitting too just because it is sooo damn good! If its too much fat you can easily swap the beef for ground turkey and it should still put you close to around 2500 calories! Add in a shake with some fruit and EVCO or fish oil or some roasted potatoes or whatever else and you can get pretty close to around 3000+ calories with no problem.

All I really avoid on paleo is gluten and most grains (mainly bread, pasta, and boxed carbs) and those arent that calorie dense anyway. I still eat rice from time to time and potatoes (mainly red and sweet).

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
sunday was chest. Scale still bouncing around 198-200 depending on day, but I see some visual difference

multi angle inlcine db bench 55x24 55x23 55x22 - these are done with bench set to almost vertical for a first set of 6 then with no rest drop to around 50-60 degree angle for 6 more, then drop to around 30-40 for 6 more, and then drop to lowest setting the bench has or horizontal for 6 more.
smith flat bench 160x8 180x6 190x6 200x5
close grip triceps press 70x10 70x10 70x10 70x10.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
back today

behind neck pulldowns 130x10 145x10 160x6 160x5 160x5
pendlay rows 95x12 135x7 135x6 135x6 135x7
hammer low row 180x10 230x8 230x6 230x8 230x7
cable drag curls 60x15 70x15 70x13 70x11 70x6

the pendlay rows really felt like they were hitting biceps hard, which was interesting. If you don't know what they are

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44LJqZX5aIY

nice workout, it felt good

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
sunday was chest. Scale still bouncing around 198-200 depending on day, but I see some visual difference

multi angle inlcine db bench 55x24 55x23 55x22 - these are done with bench set to almost vertical for a first set of 6 then with no rest drop to around 50-60 degree angle for 6 more, then drop to around 30-40 for 6 more, and then drop to lowest setting the bench has or horizontal for 6 more.
smith flat bench 160x8 180x6 190x6 200x5
close grip triceps press 70x10 70x10 70x10 70x10.
Not going to lie... those sound fun...the multi angle that is... sounds kinda like when I do the leg press and do a set, change foot postions to random positions like normal, wide, narrow, high, ect

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not going to lie... those sound fun...the multi angle that is... sounds kinda like when I do the leg press and do a set, change foot postions to random positions like normal, wide, narrow, high, ect
its so brutal, because in the end you are doing a set of 24. So its almost more an endurance exercise. Its nice to throw in on and off though. I think next week i'll shoot for heavy flat db press first with sets of 3-5

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
197 today, another off day. Definitely noticing some definition change, particularly the bottom edge of my flabs, and the hip flexors as well in the mirror after a shower. I'll wait till the weekend to post a midway update pic

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
blech. I hate my hamstrings. today was leg day

leg press 270x10, 450x6, 630x6, 720x6, 720x6, 810x6, 810x6 and that was real live failure there, almost didnt' make the last one. felt that metallic taste in my mouth, and vision started to lose color :)
leg press calf press 450x15 450x12 450x11 450x8
straight leg deadlifts 95x10 and pop goes the weasel. I felt a pang in my hamstring (just barely above the knee) and almost fell over.

workout done at that point. at least my quads got a good workout.

BoneDaddy

BoneDaddy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

leg press 270x10, 450x6, 630x6, 720x6, 720x6, 810x6, 810x6 and that was real live failure there, almost didnt' make the last one. felt that metallic taste in my mouth, and vision started to lose color :)
straight leg deadlifts 95x10 and pop goes the weasel. I felt a pang in my hamstring (just barely above the knee) and almost fell over.

Wow....metallic, eh? THAT'S putting in work, son!!!!

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established

NICE!!!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
its such a pity my hamstrings are so fragile, while my quads are solid. What I probably need to do is for a while concentrate on hypertrophy on hams only, high rep range work on them with light weights, probably the seated curl. And I mean hitting them 2-3x a week that way to start to bring them closer to a par with my quads. Of course, without blowing them out again.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
nice job, easy-page 3 already!!!! whats your take on fat free as a stim?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
its fairly moderate. It doesn't feel super "zippy" but taking any other stim on top seems to be too much

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
its fairly moderate. It doesn't feel super "zippy" but taking any other stim on top seems to be too much
thanks...you tried double dosing? oh, yeah-any sleep issues?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
196 on the scale today. Chest workout. It was either fantastic or Posner depending on your point of view

Flat Smith bench press 200*10 250*4 250*4 250*4 250*4 110*21 I've never put 250 up in the air before.
Incline Smith 110*13 110*9 110*6 I was so beat from flats
seated hammer dips 180*10 180*9 180*8 180*3
Cable crossovers setting 6 15 13 9

And I was done

D2footballjrc

D2footballjrc

Awards
Awesome work out man, solid numbers!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
196 on the scale today. Chest workout. It was either fantastic or Posner depending on your point of viewFlat Smith bench press 200*10 250*4 250*4 250*4 250*4 110*21 I've never put 250 up in the air before.Incline Smith 110*13 110*9 110*6 I was so beat from flatsseated hammer dips 180*10 180*9 180*8 180*3Cable crossovers setting 6 15 13 9And I was done
congrats on the 250!!!

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

You can just pick up a six-pack at the story. Its easy Easy!.

Try this,

View attachment 52967