A simple approach to Pre and Post workout meals

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
PRE WORKOUT:
There are only a few things necessary for this meal.

Carbs: Slow\moderate digesting carbs for sustained energy
Protien: Lean protien source, (liquid is best -so WHEY POWDER)
Fat: natty PB or another source of healthy fats. Not too much but a few grams. Science has provent hat healthy fat is necessary for hormone optomization.

Example:
1-1.5 cups oats with .5cup blueberries\banana, whey protien-blended into a shake
OR
1-1.5 cup oatmeal with whey powder mixed in and some fruit added.

POST WORKOUT

There is really no need to separate carbs and protien after a workout. They should be taken together to facilitate amino acid absorbtion. One needs insulin tho shuttle these amino's into muscle, and insulin is best regulated with Carbs PWO.

There seems to be much debate. A large chunk of people believe that sugary simple carbs are necessary vs complex slower digesting carbs are necessary. I feel that it would be safe to say that this is strictly goal oriented. If one is bulking, those sugary carbs would be good, if one is intereted in cutting\ lean mass, then a combination or just plain complex carbs would be good.

Example:

Bulking: Malto\Dex, WMS, gatorade\powerate RTD or Powder; mixed with Whey

Lean Mass: WMS with protien

Cutting: Only the minimal insulin spike required, Usually facilitated by Complex carbs (and of course not too many)
-Oats (with some fruit or a tbsp of honey and cinammon) and why protien mixed into it.

There are so many threads of people posting opinions about this. I think this is a good summary.

For those who like theyr fancy supplements, i think they can be added whenever you feel necessary. BCAA's (maily leucine) in your water is a good idea during a lift. Glutamin PWO is good in my opinion, with some cissus..IM not a big creatine person.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
BTW feel free to comment and make suggestions based on your experiences...but lets not turn this into another "heres what i do" neverending thread

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
whey mixed in w oats is an awesome combination IMO haha. yeah, i'd agree that your goals should dictate your diet. i've always stuck to fast absorbing high glycemic carbs post workout to get that immediate blood sugar spike. bc post workout, your body will take the majority of what you eat and direct that toward resupplying your body's lost glucose levels/ refueling muscle. so the result is that eating simple sugary carbs won't cause any fat gain bc your body isn't storing them as fat cells. i eat simple carbs immediately post workout, then have a more mixed meal roughly an hour later with slower digesting carbs

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
whey mixed in w oats is an awesome combination IMO haha. yeah, i'd agree that your goals should dictate your diet. i've always stuck to fast absorbing high glycemic carbs post workout to get that immediate blood sugar spike. bc post workout, your body will take the majority of what you eat and direct that toward resupplying your body's lost glucose levels/ refueling muscle. so the result is that eating simple sugary carbs won't cause any fat gain bc your body isn't storing them as fat cells. i eat simple carbs immediately post workout, then have a more mixed meal roughly an hour later with slower digesting carbs
sup beeb, yea i agree. IM trying to recomp\cut a little without loosing much if any muscle. I think i may go with smaller amounts of carbs PWO adn source them from oats (complex). so virtually my post workout meal will be a smaller version of my Pre. DAMN i will be sick of oats when this is over. haha. anyway, ill train with much more volume and static holds so that dont overtrain+underfill glycogen stores. well see how it works....btw LEVIATHAN HELPS hahah

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
sup beeb, yea i agree. IM trying to recomp\cut a little without loosing much if any muscle. I think i may go with smaller amounts of carbs PWO adn source them from oats (complex). so virtually my post workout meal will be a smaller version of my Pre. DAMN i will be sick of oats when this is over. haha. anyway, ill train with much more volume and static holds so that dont overtrain+underfill glycogen stores. well see how it works....btw LEVIATHAN HELPS hahah
hahaha yea it looks like it. i can't wait to give it a whirl myself come.... whenever. yeah it'll work for you. you're basically sticking to 40/40/20? when i'm on the leviathan i think i might give 50/35/15 a shot. seems like a good split for cutting up while still making solid lean gains.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
hahaha yea it looks like it. i can't wait to give it a whirl myself come.... whenever. yeah it'll work for you. you're basically sticking to 40/40/20? when i'm on the leviathan i think i might give 50/35/15 a shot. seems like a good split for cutting up while still making solid lean gains.
nah my carbs are still a bit higher so im 50\35\15 ish about now. I may return to 40\40\20 if this mac split doesnt pan out

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Great summary there. I can never decide between low GI and high GI postWO
Its to noones surprise that high GI carbs promote an insulin spike. Insulin shuttles nutrients out of the bloodstream and into muscle cesll after a workout. However, its not a perfect science and little by little you will end up overflowing your glycogen stores with too many PWO carbs. (weeks etc). This will result in in the blood glucose being shuttled to adipose tissue (fat). That is not wanted.!! This is why when cutting people avoid HIGH GI carbs and stick to complex carbs. (primarily). Peopel are even debating whether there is a long term difference between PWO -High vs Low GI carbs. Ive used High GI carbs for a while, and I've always had an annoying layer of subq water. I think im going to try complex PWO carbs and see if it depletes over time.

keep in mind, Insulin can be considered anabolic (or better, anticatabolic) does blunt the burning of fat. This is why post-cardio nutrition (unless its like HIT cardio for sport specific training or something) woudl not commonly include High GI carbs.

It all comes down to your goal i guess

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 4
Training Forum 1
musclemaker Company Promotions 6
mixedup Anabolics 94
PatWheeler Anabolics 2