Keeping in a caloric surplus?

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Im around 3000-3200 calories just now.. Ive had a very busy work shift and also cycled around 10 miles.. Would it be best to bump calories even on days like this ? I want to lean bulk but also want to stayin a caloric surplus everyday.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Im around 3000-3200 calories just now.. Ive had a very busy work shift and also cycled around 10 miles.. Would it be best to bump calories even on days like this ? I want to lean bulk but also want to stayin a caloric surplus everyday.
You answered your own question. If you are cycling or performing any type of cardio, no matter the intensity level, you are burning calories. If you are consuming 3200 cals per day and your maintenance level is 3200 calories, you would be in a deficit the days you cycle to work. In the same example, if you burn 400 cals cycling, you would need 3600 to maintain weight. So if you wanted to lean bulk, be in a smaller surplus 3800-3900 is what I would aim for.

Do you know your maintenance?

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You answered your own question. If you are cycling or performing any type of cardio, no matter the intensity level, you are burning calories. If you are consuming 3200 cals per day and your maintenance level is 3200 calories, you would be in a deficit the days you cycle to work. In the same example, if you burn 400 cals cycling, you would need 3600 to maintain weight. So if you wanted to lean bulk, be in a smaller surplus 3800-3900 is what I would aim for.

Do you know your maintenance?
Last year i was on around 3000-3100 calories and i slowly climbed weight and also gained some fat though. I done that for 12 week's and slowly increased that up to 3200. So my maintenace must have been around 2600- 2700

Fast forward to this year and im on 3200 calories as im certain i am expending more. My weight is hovering though (Im only just over 2 weeks in mind) i actually dropped weight at about day 10 on 3200? Im only 5ft9.. 157 pounds..31 years old around 12% bodyfat. Im leaner than i was my last bulk. Carrying slightly more mass aswell. Im just trying to keep as lean as possible with hopefully gaining some mass. I dont want to rocket calories to start just piling weight on. It will be mostly fat. I dont always use the scale to measure i use the mirror and just judge my look and i also use skinfold callipers. My stomach pinch a few weeks ago was 6mm but today i pinched and it was slightly under 4mm? So it seems im am leaning out?

Carbs = 400
Protein = 240
Fat = 71

Any days i have some major cycling involved i bumped my calories to 3500. Just trying to stay in a constant surplus but also lean gaining.

Could it be possible i am having a recomp effect? I did cut recently and dropped fat very easy. Leaned out quickly and just thought i would get straight back into a bulk.. I was getting hunger pangs constant and getting slight lethargy/mindfog on the cut so i brought my calories way back up to start feeling normal again and to get my strength back.

No sure what to do.. Just stick with what im doing for another 2 weeks and see my progress?

So to answer the end question my maintenance must be around thre 3000 marker going by how my weight is stable? Last year when i bulked after i cut i had thre classic glycogen/water increase. It hasn't really happened this time round. I never cycled last year though. I use my bike as transport so its almost a daily addition.

Any ideas or just stick with this and re-evaluate in a few weeks?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Last year i was on around 3000-3100 calories and i slowly climbed weight and also gained some fat though. I done that for 12 week's and slowly increased that up to 3200. So my maintenace must have been around 2600- 2700

Fast forward to this year and im on 3200 calories as im certain i am expending more. My weight is hovering though (Im only just over 2 weeks in mind) i actually dropped weight at about day 10 on 3200? Im only 5ft9.. 157 pounds..31 years old around 12% bodyfat. Im leaner than i was my last bulk. Carrying slightly more mass aswell. Im just trying to keep as lean as possible with hopefully gaining some mass. I dont want to rocket calories to start just piling weight on. It will be mostly fat. I dont always use the scale to measure i use the mirror and just judge my look and i also use skinfold callipers. My stomach pinch a few weeks ago was 6mm but today i pinched and it was slightly under 4mm? So it seems im am leaning out?

Carbs = 400
Protein = 240
Fat = 71

Any days i have some major cycling involved i bumped my calories to 3500. Just trying to stay in a constant surplus but also lean gaining.

Could it be possible i am having a recomp effect? I did cut recently and dropped fat very easy. Leaned out quickly and just thought i would get straight back into a bulk.. I was getting hunger pangs constant and getting slight lethargy/mindfog on the cut so i brought my calories way back up to start feeling normal again and to get my strength back.

No sure what to do.. Just stick with what im doing for another 2 weeks and see my progress?

So to answer the end question my maintenance must be around thre 3000 marker going by how my weight is stable? Last year when i bulked after i cut i had thre classic glycogen/water increase. It hasn't really happened this time round. I never cycled last year though. I use my bike as transport so its almost a daily addition.

Any ideas or just stick with this and re-evaluate in a few weeks?
Recomping is difficult without drugs. Just like you said, follow this and re-evaluate in a week or two. At 157, I would not go any higher than 235 grams of protein. That is 1.5 grams of your body weight. More than that is not needed. The you can add those calories back via carbs or fat. I would probably opt for fats since your seem on the lower end.