Yet another 5-3-1 by Dmax

capo180

Awards
  • Established
3 PRs in one day and hit 500!! Moving big weights! Good work d max

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
The fact that my ability to thank people is gone is annoying but..

Thanks capo and herder

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Seriously awesome PRs once again!

My folks took us up to shipshewana as kids - I remember that flea market

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Thanks mister the king

Hey do u guys do anything special for ripping off a callous

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks mister the king

Hey do u guys do anything special for ripping off a callous
I gnaw them off (srs) and try to keep them in check so they don't rip. Fingernail clippers can get a partially torn one, I'd say. Just my .02

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
I have a bad torn one on my right hand do u tape them or just deal with it

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Is that a u need to settle down dmax stament rob? Or u just need to tare the hell out of the other side
3 sets of 10 is the answer to all fitness questions. I'm letting my phone charge and I am gonna post that as the answer to every thread in the training section for massive reps bestowed upon my account.

:biglaugh:

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
It just so happens that next week is light week so I will be doing sets of 10 again lol

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
7-13-14
Crew bench
Current weight at 5:30am was 222
Carbs last night

Preworkout-compound 5/tmg/cla/melatonin/Yohimbine hcl/caffeine/starbucks
Intra-compete

Warm-up
Smashing side/front raises/banded Stretchs and work

Bench
55×5
105×5
145×5
195×5
225×3
255×2
Slingshot
255×2×3
275×2×3

Incline DB press
55×10,8,10

Banded tricep pressdowns
Orange band 2×20

Note
Sort of an off day but managed to salvage it with some slingshot work. Form and tightness were all over the place 255 double was slow and second rep was a grinder for what should have been easy but my shoulder was back at it again with my elbows and my hand being tore up. I think I'm going to throw in some DB work on Wednesday to help with stability cause it doesn't ache to do them if u guys have any thoughts plz chime in

Thats it thanks for reading dmax

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like your plan, man. Do it up. You're good at diagnosing what needs to be done on your assistance days, so I trust your judgement. If you can find a way to dangle plates or KBs off the bar using bands, that will increase your stability tremendously.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
I definitely in need some stabilization work. I think the ache is coming more from tightness then lack of support or strength with a little piss poor form thrown in cause I rolled my traps and below the shoulder blade and it feels much better and it's not a continuous ache ether only under load

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Taking it light today sunny Jerome?

Your bound to have an off day here and there. Making it productive is what matters. Nice work J Dawg

capo180

Awards
  • Established
still not a bad day man. got in some good slingshot work as you noted.. i think herder made some good suggestions. i think super d had a bamboo bench video, sounds like it would kill the stabilizers, doing it on a regular bar would be the next best thing.. most people dont have bamboo sticks in their gyms... sad sad world.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yea that is like the only bar my gym doesn't have :(

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
7-15-14
Light/speed lower supplemental and assistance work
Current weight at 8:30am was 220

Preworkout-compound 5/tmg /cla /melatonin /Yohimbine hcl /caffeine
Intra-compete

Warm-up
8 mins elliptical
Goblet squats
55×a bunch

Ss
Front squats/box squats
65×5
95×5
115×5
135×5
175×3×10
Box squats
265×2×10,5,5

Ss
Sumo deadlift /1"deficit conv deadlift
230×3×10
Conv
230×5,5,7

Ss
Hack squats machine/1"deficit stiff leg deadlift
2 plates×3×12 (probably too easy)
Stiff leg
135×3×10

Seated calf raises
4plates×4×6

Hyperextenions
Bw×3×12

Leg curls/leg extensions
115×3×amrap

Thigh adductor machine
75×3×amrap

Abs
McGill crunchs
Ab roller 3×10
Planks+side planks

Notes
Good day again front squats felt light
Box squats felt good and explosive the last set I had too cut into 2 because I've been squatting to a bench and I stepped on one of the feet and nearly fell backwards which would have really sucked

To sum up the day pretty much everything felt great

Thats it thanks for reading have a great day. Dmax

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
7-17-14
DE upper supplemental and assistance work
Current weight at 8 am was 216

Preworkout-compound 5/tmg/cla/melatonin/Yohimbine hcl/caffeine
Intra-compete

Warm-up
7 mins Arc-trainer
Front/side raises Rotator cuff
10×a bunch

Speed bench (setsxreps)
Bar×2×10
95×10
115×8
145×5
185×9×3

DB press
55×12,10,12

Ohp
Bar×10
65×10
95×3×10

Bradford press
85×3×7

Iso-low row
90×3×10

Ss
Iso-behind the head pulldowns/pullaparts
Orange bands+45×3×12
Green band pullaparts
3×amrap

Iso-pullovers
45×3×10

Ss
Lying reverse grip barbell tricep extensions /DB flys
65×4×6-8
Flys
30×4×10

Ss
Low cable flys/wide grip pullups
30×3×12
Pullups
Single in between sets

Cable side raises
10×2×amrap 20×amrap
Pullups
same as above

Ss
Cable tricep pushdown (rope) / cable curls
55×4×amrap drop set at the end
45×4×amrap drop set at the end

Forearm work

Notes
Good day bench felt good about in the middle of the sets they got pretty fast then started to fall off a tad. I still had a slight pinch in my left shoulder but I noticed if I release the tension of my grip slowly it doesn't ache as bad or at all after

Really noticed the lack of stability in my DB presses going to keep them for heavy and light days

Trying to get a bit more shoulder work in with the Bradford presses more tut

Rest of the work was light and fast with 30 sec breaks between set probably why it only took just over an hour and a half

Thats it thanks for reading. Dmax

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Your supplemental day volume is crazy man. Nice to see some speed benching too, I've been lacking on speed work.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
I have never done any speed work so I felt I needed to start. My main focus was to get the bar down quickly and controlled and back up fast

The volume my be getting a bit out of hand thou my arms had no power left in them at the end

BTW barbell tricep extensions are hard as hell fyi

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Shoulders are pretty sore today they weren't too bad till I started pulling apart the brakes on the truck now I really feel it

Tonight we are going out to celebrate my wife's birthday which was Wednesday so going to use tonight as carb night was I sitting pretty at 216 this morning

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
7-19-14
Crew squat/deadlift
Current weight at 6am was 219 not bad for a day after carb nite

Intra-compete

Warm-up
Goblet squats with BSS
55×a bunch and BW

Squat (monolift+Mastodon)
70×10
160×5
240×3
Belt
350×2 (oops added hundos so missed a jump)
Belt+wraps
400×1
450×1
500×0 (descended to fast and got forward)
405×5 rep pr

Deadlift
135×5
225×3
315×3
405×1
440×1
470×1
405×5

Notes
So I let my head get the best of me on squat everone as telling me how fast I was getting on my sets and instead of just taking it as that I dive bombed the 500 trying to go fast just needed to control it on the way down O well live and learn so as my penalty/back down set 405 for 5 rep pr
I'll take it

Deadlift
Been playing it conservative lately 470 felt fast wanted to go to 490 after that but backed down for some soild reps

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
7-20-14
Crew bench
Current weight at 220

Intra-compete

Warm-up
Mixture of front/side raises/Rotator cuff/lat pulldown front and behind the head and DB shoulder presses

Bench
55×10
105×10
145×6
245×2
Red slingshot
265×2
285×2
295×2
305×2
315×1½

Incline DB press
50×12
55×10
60×10
65×8
55×10

Orange Band tricep pushdowns
4 sets to failure

Notes
Not a bad day stuck with slingshot work to keep the shoulder healthy and it worked well, only on the 315 set did it ache after and that's cause I screwed up and bent my wrist back. Moved my grip in a bit ring finger on the ring pretty sure that I'm getting it now even thou 245 was a struggle but it was a big jump for me and we started using 100lbs plates

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That's a huge jump man! Damn. Good slanger work

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
This weekend I have definitely come to understand the importance of jumps
50lbs seems good on squats 30lbs seems good on bench or I was told 10%

The big jump today came with Jayson doing shirt work so the plates piled on

Mainly it's just me thou need to stop being a bitch and get set up right and stay tight for every rep from light to heavy

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Yeah small jumps bud. My work up on squats and bench are the same but squats start at 135 bench at 95. Bench will go 95-135-185 then by there I'm at my working sets. Squats 135, 185, 225. Deads are quicker 135,225, then either 275 or 315 depending on first working set. Good work though man, keep it going.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
So I can't decided what I'm more excited about going to my first meet or changing diet back to have carbs daily after not having them for 4 months now lol

Tomorrow is heavy lower day can't wait to hit some front squats and sumos

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So I can't decided what I'm more excited about going to my first meet or changing diet back to have carbs daily after not having them for 4 months now lol

Tomorrow is heavy lower day can't wait to hit some front squats and sumos
That sounds likes heaven

atanocc

atanocc

Awards
Impressive work in here man. Introducing carbs on a daily should be fun! Haha I'll catch up on this log in abit man. So far so good though!

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Thank you
7-22-14
Current weight at 8am was 218

Intra-compete

Warm-up
7 mins Arc-trainer
Goblet squats/BSS
55×a bunch BW×a bunch

Ss
Front squats/box squats (setsxreps)
95×5
135×5
185×3
225×1
245×5×5
Box squats
315×5×3

Ss
Sumo/1"deficit deadlifts
335×5×5
deficits
335×5×3

Good Mornings
195×5×5

Rack pulls (just above the knee)
465×4×2
500×1

Calf Rotator machine
8 plates×4×amrap
4 plates single leg×amrap

Barbell Hyperextenions
140×5×5

BSS
BW×4×amrap

Abs
Bird dogs/stir the pot/ab roller×8/25lbs weighted planks
3 times through

Notes
Hell of a day the squats were done with almost no breaks between sets some guys were waiting so flew through them sweat was poring off me

First set of deadlifts were rough but got warmed up and they moved great after that

Pulled the 500 on rack pulls just to see if I could and it actually moved fast and that's a first for me

Well that's it thanks for reading. Dmax

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
So the little machine at the gym said I'm 17.5% body fat at 5'10" and 218lbs not as low as I'd hoped so still got some work to do

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Thanks for stopping by but I really haven't been doing 5/3/1 for about 4 months now. I highly recommend the program thou it's great, it's just recently I've started working out with a crew so a lot has changed

A great log to check out too would be capo's log he is still doing it with great results

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the love guys haha. It'll be mine and 5/3/1s one year anniversary next month.. Pretty good program for anyone that wants to lift heavy weights.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
7-23-14
Heavy upper supplemental and assistance work
Current weight at 8am was 215

Intra-compete

Warm-up
7 mins Arc-trainer
Mix of light front/side raises/pulldowns in front and behind the head/DB shoulder press

Ss
2 board bench/Kroc row
Bar×2×10
95×10
135×5
165×3
195×3
Board Added
210×5×5
Rows
100×5×5

DB press
65×10
70×8
75×7
70×7
65×8

Ss
Ohp/banded pullaparts
Bar×10
95×5
115×3
135×2×5
130×3×5
Pullaparts
5×amrap

Bradford press
95×3×amrap

Iso-should raises machine
90×4×amrap

Iso-wide chest
90×4×10

Iso-low row
145×3×5
145×2×6

Iso-pullover
90×3×amrap

Iso-behind the head pulldown with orange bands
70×5×6

Close grip Incline press
Bar×10
95×10
115×5
135×3×4
145×4

Pec deck
90×10
125×4×10

Ss
Front raises/bicep curls/hammer curls/overhead tricep extensions
15×3×amrap
BC/HC/OTE's
30×3×amrap

Notes
Good day OHP was sort of a disappointment want to do all 5 at 135 but wasn't in me after all the work I did before it

Going to reexamine some things, i got to figure out how to get the most bang for my buck on shoulders and building my press i just can keep throwing stuff at it there are thing I like to do but may not be necessary or redundant

Thats it, if anyone has any thoughts (herder) please share. Dmax

capo180

Awards
  • Established
A lot of volume there man, my triceps would be dead by the time i got to OHP hah.. Have you tried switching up your main movement on these days, maybe moving away from 2 board press for a little while and hit some bb incline press, or even working in a different rep range. but i think if you are progressing on things like OHP and 2 board that it will translate to your bench press somehow, and I'd probably keep things going as is. but if your in a rut on those movements shake things up a bit.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
I wouldn't say a rut just not progressing as much as I'd like on OHP I know it's been said it's not a main lift but I still want it up there is all. As for the rest I want to cut some stuff out but still build both. I guess I worry about balance I really try to balance what I do in my assistant days

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Maybe do some over head DB press, instead of barbell ones for a little bit. i never did barbell over heads till about a month before i got on 5/3/1 but i always trained the shoulder pretty heavy and often with DBs.. I'm a big fan of just 1-2 pressing movements 1-2 pulling movements, then doing shoulder/arm pump work. I dont think you'll get unbalanced by cutting down a bit. like what you have there. i might just do 2board/kroc row, then OHP and some type of vertical pulls, then hit a couple sets of raises, flies, biceps for high reps.

just my two cents man.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Incline presses are good OHP builders. Make sure you're doing your delt raises as well. Switching up your style of press might help, too. Behind the neck, dumbbell like Capo said, Swiss bar if you have one, log, it all plays.

OHP just doesn't progress as fast as bench. There's a reason a bodyweight press is a benchmark. Guys who OHP 225 for reps bench 4, 315 usually equals out to 5, and 405 for reps is a good indicator of a near 600 lb bench.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Thanks guys I appreciate all your advice been doing some research since I first posted for the most part I do think I'm on the right path thou

Edit:Ahh thanks for that little extra makes a lot of sense

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Want to add I think board presses are finally working there way into a weight that's really going to be beneficial today's rep were easyish for the first 2-3 but by 4-5 I could really feel it working the part of the press that needs it most, times that by 5 set and we got a winner

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Good work! Definitely understand your OHP woes. That's what finally got me to break the dumbbells out again - now my assistance is incline BB, then db ohp - both with & without fatgripz. Unfortunately my ceiling height only allows for seated pressing. Like those guys said, throw a variation in there for a fresh stimulus.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Ooo Yea bar came in today hope we try it out sat

ForumRunner_20140724_192914.png

Man I'm beat up today doms in my legs were bad yesterday and today shoulders started in this morning should be good by Sat thou. 16 days out from the meet get nervous already lol