Yet another 5-3-1 by Dmax

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
I'm taking tomorrow and Sunday off and next sat and sun the crew is going to Grand Rapids MI for nationals I think but it's my son's birthday so I can't go bumbed out about that. so I'll have 2 weekends off then got to kick it up a notch for 6 weeks till my first meet maybe I'm just bit nervous about the idea kind of self sabotage idk maybe I should just grow up and not worry about it

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I agree with Sean. You went from generally medium volume/intensity to very high intensity on the weekends and very high volume weekdays.
That makes for high stress. Nothing wrong with that, just your body may not have been prepared. 5/3/1 is awesome and I love it and don't rule out going back in the future in some regard, but you spend a lot of time training below 90% and actually a lot of time in the 70-80% range if you think about it. Last month or so you are going 100 plus percent. Then, it has the squats and deads GENERALLY once a week and now you are hitting accessory movements that are typically similar stress levels on week days too.

Long rant equals, maybe your body is getting used to the new groove. Don't sweat it!

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you feel like ass six weeks out from your meet, you're going to have a GREAT meet. Trust me. And if you don't believe me, ask the guys.

I've done it multiple times and it's definitely freaky the first couple times, but once you learn how your body reacts to the overreaching, you look forward to that shyt week.

Take your deload being very mindful of maintaining your comp form with a weight that's just above feeling like feathers but not too challenging with some lower intensity assistance. You'll be golden.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
So just take it easy for this week is what your saying then I can go back for the next 5-6 week, because the week before you suppose to take it easy right?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So just take it easy for this week is what your saying then I can go back for the next 5-6 week, because the week before you suppose to take it easy right?
Spot on.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Rob and herder gave you some good advice there man.. You can only go so hard for so long before you gotta take a little break from it.. Hitting max singles/doubles/triples every weekend is gonna wear you down fast.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Wasn't so much physical as it is mental don't really think of that aspect much. definetly going to do what herder said and take it easy this week work on form and cues. its not like I want to quit lifting cause right now as I write this I wish I was in the gym lol

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Power Project: Why Should Raw Lifters Box Squat?: http://youtu.be/uffFNxv1CoI

Good information I have never done box squat may try it this week in my deload

At some point I need to train explosiveness too cause I feel I lack it in all my lifts

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
So xm Radio is free till the 2 of June only a few channels thou but I've been listening to 90's on 9 so many memories listing to sir mix-a-lot atm lol

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
5 Mile bike ride this morning then out for some grilling and hopefully get the dually back haven't had it in a month

Tomorrow will do some squat and deadlift deload going to keep it about 70% range

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Woot got the Ford back feel like a man again that is all

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
6-2-14
Deload deadlift and squat
Current weight at 6am was 219

Preworkout-hemavol/tmg/beta-alanine/cla
Intra-compete

Warm-up
Ford still broke so I road the bike to father-in-laws house to get his car
1 mile ride
Goblet squats
55×a bunch

Squats
Bar×10
95×5
135×5
185×3
225×3
275×3
Belt and box added
295×3
315×4×3

Deadlift
135×3
225×3
335×4×3

Abs
Stir the pot
4 set of 10 circles
Bird dogs
McGill crunchs
Rolling side planks with a hold now and again
4×10 sec holds

Notes
Good deload 315 was light wanted to go higher but it's a deload so stuck with low

Deads were more work on getting to the bar correctly while keeping upper back tight messed with foot placement a bit and breathing lasts sets flew off the floor very fast

Next ab day (Wednesday) going to up stir the pot to 6 sets and everything else by 1

Thats it thanks for reading. Dmax

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In4deload. ;)

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
So this up coming Saturday starts a new workout week was thinking along with my normal heavy work was going to do some heavy walkout just to get a feel for the weight on my shoulders good or bad idea?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't think there's anything wrong with walkouts. Just set the safety's up high in case you eat shït.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bracing will be huge. First time I did a heavy walkout above a 1RM weight, I stood there too long and exhaled, saw stars, and lost it. Luckily I only had to lower it 4 inches. So just be mindful of your breathing if you do exhale.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
How long do u typically stand there for? About the time it would normally take to squat and rerack?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sounds right I guess. I've only done it once. Sean Belows has videos of 900lb walkouts for time but I would walk out, stabilize, and walk back into the rack. Don't just lean forward into the J-Cups. Defeats the purpose. Corey Hayes also has some videos where he just attatched chain to his last top squat set, and just front squats it out of the J-Cups and holds it for time, just for abdominal bracing.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like the front squat hold with dangling chains for bracing. It's incredibly tough, but not as much of a load on the CNS.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Wanted to add I tweaked my diet a tad basically 2 weeks ago I drop 200 calories out but stopped counting my post workout shakes and this week I dropped a bit of fat for more protein I'll stick with this for a bit to see how it treats me. right now macros are as such 30 pro 60 fat 10 carbs sometimes a bit more or a bit less protein and fat

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
6-3-14
Deload bench
Current weight at 9am was 218

Intra-compete

Warm-up
7 mins Arc-trainer
Front/side raise/Rotator cuff
10× a bunch

Bench deload
Bar×10
95×5
135×5
185×5
205×4×4
215×4

Cable flys
Pyramid set high and low pulls
40×15 50×15 60×failure

Notes
Was only really going just to bench but a buddy of mine was there so did the flys with him other then that seemed heavy at times then other time not think it's just a matter of tightness

Tomorrow will be squat supplemental and assistance work debating whether it will be heavy or not pretty sure heavy

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Deload is looking pretty good man.. Front squat holds sound fun haha, and i think might be a bit more productive from just a bracing type of prospective. but from trying to feel what you could possibly put on your back, it would be useless imo.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
4-5 mile bike ride this afternoon
Right now I'm just trying to keep my daily energy expenditure the same as if I were working I hope that these rides are accomplishing this somewhat

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
but from trying to feel what you could possibly put on your back, it would be useless imo.
I'll put it to you this way: A walkout of 125% of your 1RM is going to cut into your recovery a lot more than a front squat hold with 80% of your back squat 1RM. And they're equally as hard to perform.

I did unracks with 605 in prep for the December meet. All it did was jack up my spine and cause me to take two days off after squat days instead of zero. I'd include walkouts with a little more than your third attempt maybe three weeks out from a meet to prime your nervous system and take away the "Oh shït factor" but other than that, they're just a chest thump kind of exercise.

If you know how to get tight and take an efficient walkout, you're g2g. If your walkout sucks, maybe take a half plate jump up after each squat day and take a couple walkouts. But I don't think they need that much practice. Mine sucks and I don't take extra, I just make it happen on meet day.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
I'll put it to you this way: A walkout of 125% of your 1RM is going to cut into your recovery a lot more than a front squat hold with 80% of your back squat 1RM. And they're equally as hard to perform.

I did unracks with 605 in prep for the December meet. All it did was jack up my spine and cause me to take two days off after squat days instead of zero. I'd include walkouts with a little more than your third attempt maybe three weeks out from a meet to prime your nervous system and take away the "Oh shït factor" but other than that, they're just a chest thump kind of exercise.

If you know how to get tight and take an efficient walkout, you're g2g. If your walkout sucks, maybe take a half plate jump up after each squat day and take a couple walkouts. But I don't think they need that much practice. Mine sucks and I don't take extra, I just make it happen on meet day.
Agreed 100%. Especially on the recovery aspect, putting 500 lbs on the back of a guy that can only squat 400 isn't going to help at all.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Thanks herder and capo
Your opinions and thoughts are important to me..

The walkout were for just as u described to get rid of the O Sh¡T!! factor, cause I got that big time with my 440 attempt

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks herder and capo
Your opinions and thoughts are important to me..

The walkout were for just as u described to get rid of the O Sh¡T!! factor, cause I got that big time with my 440 attempt
Been there, buddy.

You're absolutely right, capo. When employing future method stuff like reverse bands or walkouts, we're trying to look maybe 8-10 weeks into the future, not 6-8 months.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
6-4-14
Lower supplemental and assistance work
Current weight at 9am was 217

Intra-compete

Warm-up
7 mins elliptical
Goblet squats
55× a bunch

Front squat
95×5
115×5
155×3
205×3
245×4×3

Sumo deadlift
345×4×3
Suprise!! sumo vid

345 for a trip: http://youtu.be/BCnOyIHF-Xw

Good mornings
245×4×4

Rack pulls
440×4×3

Calf Rotator machine
410×3×15 1 set toes neutral 1 set pointed out 1 set pointed in
649×3×10 same as above

Superset
Stir the pot with reverse lunges
6×10 rotations
Lunges
50#×6×10 per side

More Abs
McGill crunches
Bird dogs
5×10sec holds
Rolling planks with regularly plank at the end 5 set each with 5 rolls and a hold

Notes
Great day felt really good everything feels good and strong had some minor tightness in my inner thigh but stretched it so it's good now

Sumo felt fast in the vid Iit looks like a may pulled it back a bit far other than that looked good to me if u see anything let me know so I can correct it

That's it thanks for reading. Dmax

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Good work as always man. Sumos looked pretty good and easy.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
So I watched lone survivor today and I got to say that's the sadest ending credits to a movie I have ever seen

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So much respect for Brandon fighting to get back and doing a full meet. Incredible!

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
He must have robotic knees now to pull that much so soon

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It's gotta be the motions he can/can't handle bc he squated like 135. Super awesome though

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Wow - yeah that's pretty awesome considering the last video I saw....

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
6-5-14
Upper supplemental and assistance work
Current weight at 7 am was 216

Preworkout-hemavol/tmg/beta-alanine/cla/melatonin
Intra-compete

Warm-up
7 mins Arc-trainer
Front/side raise/Rotator cuff
10× a bunch

OHP/Banded pullaparts
Bar×10
95×5
115×5
135×3
145×1
155×2,1
150×2,1,1
Pullaparts
Green then orange band 10×10

Snatch grip high pulls
135×4×4

Iso-lat pulldown(side seated)
125×4×5

Hafe kneeling landmine shoulder press
75×4×4

Superset
Iso-low row/iso-pullovers
125×4×8
Pullovers
70×4×6

Board presses(about a board 1/2
185×5×4

Triple set
Skullcruchers/DB flys/Tate press
80×8,5,5
DB and Tate press
35×3×5

Machine tricep pushdowns
180×2×10 200×10

Burn outs set (till I felt done)
Low cable flys
Spider curls
Front/side raises

Notes
OHP was OK almost lost it on the very first rep went up slow like they all do but came down fast had to catch it somewhat and recovered for a second but wasted a lot of energy I tried for a 3rd single but didn't get it so that's why I dropped back

Board presses were good had to use a 25 lbs plate for the board cause I failed to plan ahead and bring something

Did the 5 way shoulder stretch with the other vid I posted on the way out feels good

Edit: legs are shot today

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey bud, remember supplemental and assistance days are just that: supplementing your main lift work. I don't think doubles are going to work as well for you as triples and above, or, IMO 5's.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Thanks for the advice herder I went in with the intentions of doing 155 for triples, but it didn't happen the way I planned in my head so I just tried to make what I thought was best of the situation still young at this so possibly wasn't the best decision I'll just drop it back a bit next week

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
4-5 miles of biking tonight

So herder what would u recommended to boost my shoulder strength it seems all great pressers have great shoulder strength. Just what u said more TuT with OHP?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
4-5 miles of biking tonight

So herder what would u recommended to boost my shoulder strength it seems all great pressers have great shoulder strength. Just what u said more TuT with OHP?
That and don't ignore your lateral raises. I do delt raises twice a week, especially focusing on lateral and rear delts and doing John Meadow's destroyers: Heavy swings, light full range raises, and then static holds.

We're not competing in the OHP, so no need to max 5s to 8s usually seem to do the trick. Same with all assistance lifts. 5s are money. I used to follow Wendler with great zeal and say that only heavy standing was the way to go, but I have since realized that I got to a 350 bench with rudimentary bench technique by being really strong in the 3-8 rep range at incline presses and seated BB/DB OHP.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
So today was Chris Duffin video marathon day and if don't know it already his videos are excellent very informative

Was thinking my next upper day may go like this

Board presses 5×5 70-85%
OHP same as above
CGBP 5×5 at least 60%ish

Some sort of pulldown
Side raises
Some sort of row
Delt destroyer
Misc. Bicep, tricep and banded work mixed in, with some very light burnout sets at the end

The first 3 I picked because I believe that they will assist me in some weaknesses but if u see something that should change or add or remove please let me know

throneof

throneof

Awards
  • Established
6-5-14 Upper supplemental and assistance work Current weight at 7 am was 216 Preworkout-hemavol/tmg/beta-alanine/cla/melatonin Intra-compete Warm-up 7 mins Arc-trainer Front/side raise/Rotator cuff 10× a bunch OHP/Banded pullaparts Bar×10 95×5 115×5 135×3 145×1 155×2,1 150×2,1,1 Pullaparts Green then orange band 10×10 Snatch grip high pulls 135×4×4 Iso-lat pulldown(side seated) 125×4×5 Hafe kneeling landmine shoulder press 75×4×4 Superset Iso-low row/iso-pullovers 125×4×8 Pullovers 70×4×6 Board presses(about a board 1/2 185×5×4 Triple set Skullcruchers/DB flys/Tate press 80×8,5,5 DB and Tate press 35×3×5 Machine tricep pushdowns 180×2×10 200×10 Burn outs set (till I felt done) Low cable flys Spider curls Front/side raises Notes OHP was OK almost lost it on the very first rep went up slow like they all do but came down fast had to catch it somewhat and recovered for a second but wasted a lot of energy I tried for a 3rd single but didn't get it so that's why I dropped back Board presses were good had to use a 25 lbs plate for the board cause I failed to plan ahead and bring something Did the 5 way shoulder stretch with the other vid I posted on the way out feels good Thats it thanks for reading. Dmax Edit: legs are shot today
Melatonin PWO?

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
I read a few studys the said it may help the body produce more gh during workouts may be bs but it's cheap so I'll give it a go

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
6-7-14
Squat/deadlift
Current weight at 6am was 216

First off good luck to all who are participating in a meet today, may the powerlifting force be you

Preworkout-hemavol/tmg/beta-alanine/cla/melatonin 6mg
Intra-compete

Warm-up
7 mins Arc-trainer
Goblet squats
55× a bunch

Sqwatz
Bar×10
95×5
135×5
185×5
225×3
275×3
Belt
315×2
345×1 wrapless PR
Belt/wraps
375×1
415×1,0
385×3×2

Deadlift
135×5
225×3
315×3
365×1
405×1
415×1,1,1,1,1

Notes
Squats went well was by myself so could really push as high as I thought I could go today

415 was going to be my doubles but the first rep forgot the clips so the weight shifted then came forward on my second attempt to do 2 and had to ditch it so I dropped back to 385 it was on that I realized I was setting up the way I used to so I went back to the way I was taught and was much better

Deadlift was good screwed with foot placement a bit and made some good progress on tightness and getting back to driving thought the heals que probably could have gotten my 480 today felt that good