work nights sleep days

stopstalking

stopstalking

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
as the title says i work 10pm till 6 am so i get to bed a about 8 am and sleep till 1-3 pm. Know matter how long i sleep im tired. What can i take ? i have take powerfull in the past and it did nothing for me.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You can take stims or nootropics, but inevitably your circadian rhythm will most likely always cause you to be tired.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
[No message]

stopstalking

stopstalking

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
so moral of the story is im screwd

Balance

Balance

Awards
I work 6 pm to 6 am 3 nights a week, then try to switch my sched around for the weekend so I can actually interact with other human beings. Always tired, not much motivation, and it is def messing with my hormone balance. I feel your pain

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
sleep mask ear plugs and our fac stim out to help, make sure youre vitamins and anti oxients are up as well,

P

pat677

Awards
i'm in the same boat, but even more messed up schedule

Sunday: 7pm-5am
Monday: 1pm-11PM
Tuesday: 6:45pm-4:45am
Wednesday: 6:45pm-4:45am

I try as well to change back to day cycle for my week-ends, but sometimes it's quite hard and lately(for the past about 2 weeks) I've been just down in energy, mood, appetite and motivation.

So, I feel you.

Mick81

Mick81

Awards
I know how you feel, i work 12.5hr shifts, 1 week of days, then a week of nights. By the end I'm shattered, takes me 2 or 3 days into my break til I feel normal again.

Sleep as much as you can, make sure you stay full of vitamins and anti oxidants, and try to keep your daily routine the same as it would be on day shift.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Im the same, 10:30pm-6am.

Im changing jobs, cant handle it.. feel like **** 24/7.

The only real answer I found is SLEEP min 8 hrs.. and take ALCAR.

This helped me with less sleep!

stopstalking

stopstalking

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
yea i sleep like a normal human on my off days witch really throughs my body off

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
adaptogenic herbs can surely help. Cordyceps, Rhodiola Rosea to name a few, which also happen to be included in a few BB supps. I've used both during chaotic work schedules and I did notice a difference. Limit the use of things that will burn your CNS, (stimulants), even though you are tempted. Stimulants will make you worse in the long run.

B

broons

Awards
  • Established
I feel ya. Been working nights for 3 years now 11-7. Sometimes I don't get to bed till noon. Best thing is make sure your bedroom is as dark as you can possibly get it to stimulate melatonin. Even a little light on your body will interrupt it. And as soon as you wake up immediately get some sunshine on your body ASAP to cut melatonin and wake yourself up.

B

broons

Awards
  • Established
Another thing, I remember reading years ago about a study that claimed people working night hour graveyard shift jobs on average live 7-10 years less than those who do not. Just in case you weren't having a good day: )

P

pat677

Awards
hahaha anyways were all going to die one day, so...whether you die at 30 from a car accident or die at 70 because you've been working the graveyard shift, your still dead.

Balance

Balance

Awards
Wow this post became really uplifting, thanks for brightening my day

N

n87

Awards
  • Established
I worked 7pm to 7am for about 5 years straight. Like someone already mentioned, sleep mask and earplugs helped tremendously. To the extent, that a year later I can't sleep without it. Weird, I know. One of my coworkers, on top of sleep mask and earplugs also has a ventilator hooked up to his mouth to prevent snoring. I told him he can scare any robber that breaks into his house while he is asleep.
Also, it was very important for me to go straight to bed right after work. A quick shower, a light snack were ok, but no TV, newspapers or internet. And don't get out of bed for at least 7hrs, except a trip to bathroom. With that approach I never had to use any sleeping pills. And no coffee 8 hours before going to bed. On my days off, I usually stayed untill midnight or 1 o'clock and then slept till around 11 am. Oh, and my workouts were always after I woke up, never before going to bed.
Good luck.

B

blackhorse

Awards
I worked for fifteen years doing night work. In order to feel half -way normal you MUST
stay on the same schedule as much as possible. Sleep 8 to 10 hours in order to
compensate for the screwed up schedule. If you keep your diet and training regimen
stellar you will start to feel half-way normal.The best thing to do is NOT work at night
but if you must, that is the best advice I can give you for the sluggish feeling you have.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
mst-somnidren.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Read some really good reviews about this broke as hell right now but screw I just put in my order.
i logged it awhile back-very good stuff. i think you will like it a lot-i know i do, i have bought 2 more jugs of it since that log!

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
so moral of the story is im screwd
Pretty much, Your fighting against nature. Do what you can right now to help you sleep during the day by blackening out your windows. I bought these shades at Lowes that go behind my curtains that blocks most of the light and I use them just to sleep at normal times. Work your way to finding a new job one day with normal hours.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Pretty much, Your fighting against nature. Do what you can right now to help you sleep during the day by blackening out your windows. I bought these shades at Lowes that go behind my curtains that blocks most of the light and I use them just to sleep at normal times. Work your way to finding a new job one day with normal hours.
i find that 3rd shift does have some advantage's, i work in a very hot factory and in summer months 3rd shift is considerably cooler. plus any appointments or business i can take care of during the day when others are at work.

stopstalking

stopstalking

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i am in a law enforement job. i will be at this job for another 27 years, maybe in a few years i will have enough time to get the weekends off on a differnt shift.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
i am in a law enforement job. i will be at this job for another 27 years, maybe in a few years i will have enough time to get the weekends off on a differnt shift.
The biggest issue is sleep in general. If you can make it work where your getting your sleep you can probably hang in there for awhile. It depends on the person though. Everyone seems to handle the grave yard shift differently. Listen to your body. Let people tell you if they notice changes in your personality. Coming from someone who lost countless nights of sleep due to different issues it messed me up physically and mentally and I feel a lot older then I am so don't ignore the signs.You won't have your career if you don't have your health. Like I said make sure you black out your room. That's number 1.