Who has used a crock pot/slow cooker?

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
I just did for the first time. Tossed a frozen T-bone in with some chili base, covered in water. I did this at 1pm (about 8 hours ago)

I added rice about an hour ago, and ate it just now.

Holy ****, I've never had a steak that tender. The rice was perfect.

I'm hooked. If you all want good, easy food, get a slow cooker.

Are there any super tasty recipes I am missing out on here?

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
I've wanted to use my slow cooker for the longest, and I think I will eventually.

Ever try oatmeal and fruit?

Ingredients

* 1 cup steel cut oats
* 1 cup dried cranberries
* 1 cup dried figs
* 4 cups water
* 1/2 cup half-and-half

Directions

In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients and set to low heat. Cover and let cook for 8 to 9 hours.

Stir and remove to serving bowls. This method works best if started before you go to bed. This way your oatmeal will be finished by morning.

Overnight Oatmeal Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Crock Pots are AWESOME! I cook beef stew maybe 2x a month. Lasts me for 2-3 meals.

As anyone should know, food (especially meats) are always better if they are cooked slow! Hence the reason things are better when prepared in the oven vs. the microwave. With the exception of grilling I guess. **** I miss my propane grill!

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Crock Pots are AWESOME! I cook beef stew maybe 2x a month. Lasts me for 2-3 meals.

As anyone should know, food (especially meats) are always better if they are cooked slow! Hence the reason things are better when prepared in the oven vs. the microwave. With the exception of grilling I guess. **** I miss my propane grill!

Propane, clean and...flavorless :p

Your right meat is better when cooked slow in an oven because of all the tissue break down, all that nice breakdown into lip smacking gelatin.

The microwave is good for steaming though, thats about it.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
A crock pot is amazing!!! A work of advice though. Don't put something like a t-bone in there. Those cuts of meat are more tender to begin with and more expensive. If you plan on cooking some meat in the slow cooker buy the cheapest meat you can find.

A recipe I use is:

Toss the beef in the pot.
A little bit of red cooking wine.
A little bit of olive oil.
Some pepper and other spices.
Maybe some onions.

I even tried chicken breasts in there the other day. Sooooo tender.

O

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I throw a whole chicken with 1/2 cup of vinegar for a few hours.

Take it out from the crock pot to the cast iron skillet and brown all the skin.

No part left behind, I literally eat the whole thing, even the bones, the vinegar softens them up!

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This thread will blow up in no time since they are such great tools! I highly suggesting bulk cooking some stew.

Simple Stew Recipe:
~5-6 lb Cut of Meat (Top Sirloin, CrossRib, Round, used em all) , Fat removed
5 Stalks Celery
5 Carrots
Mushrooms to taste (I do 1/2lb White Button)
2 med. Onions
6 Cloves Garlics
3 cups Green Beans
2 cups corn
750 mL Beef Broth
1/4c. Tomato Paste
1-2c. Red Wine (Cheap)
Spices (Peppercorns, 6 Bay Leaves, Thyme, Sage/ Savory, ~1 Tbsp of each)

(0) Brown beef in some oil & preheated stainless steel pan if you wish.
1. Sautee Onions, Garlic & Spices
2. Add in beef & liquids, Cook until almost tender (Varies, 2-3 hours. Prewarm your liquids in the microwave!)
3. Add in microwaved vegetables ~30 mins before the end of cooking; I also add in additional frozen vegetables to stretch it out.
ENJOY AND FREEZE LEFTOVERS!

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I throw a whole chicken with 1/2 cup of vinegar for a few hours.

Take it out from the crock pot to the cast iron skillet and brown all the skin.

No part left behind, I literally eat the whole thing, even the bones, the vinegar softens them up!
The bones too?? That is awesome. I will have to try that. I am sure that bones are an excellent source of nutrition.

O

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The bones too?? That is awesome. I will have to try that. I am sure that bones are an excellent source of nutrition.
Yeah, it's just easier to eat the whole thing than to sift through the bones!

If you're feeling adventurous, try beef kidneys and tongues!

Basic 101 method: Brown in CI skillet, crock pot, brown again for a couple of mins and eat! (use spices, onions, garlic, etc...if desired, I like em plain)

Roasts, especially higher fat ones are f**king great in a crock pot! :smite:

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, it's just easier to eat the whole thing than to sift through the bones!

If you're feeling adventurous, try beef kidneys and tongues!

Basic 101 method: Brown in CI skillet, crock pot, brown again for a couple of mins and eat! (use spices, onions, garlic, etc...if desired, I like em plain)

Roasts, especially higher fat ones are f**king great in a crock pot! :smite:
That is awesome. You buy beef tongues at the store? I've never seen them. I'm always willing to try something new.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You can get stew meat at the market for really cheap! I think I got close to a lb, for about 2.75 or so. I just got to thinking about slow cooking some chicken noodle soup!

O

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That is awesome. You buy beef tongues at the store? I've never seen them. I'm always willing to try something new.
Yeah, local grocery stores have em here, I don't go anywhere special for those, they have tripe(very fatty and VERY good on a cast iron skillet), liver, sweet breads, etc... I pick up whatever is there at the moment, local butcher shops will probably have some too especially if you get to know em and if not they can probably recommend someone.

Most people think that stuff is nasty so it's usually very cheap, I've seen whole organs for for as little as $2 for a 4lb package!

The only thing I do buy separately are pork brains :D I get those from Shopfoodex.com, I have 20 cans coming in tomorrow, they're great with eggs, bacon, sausage and some ketchup. :food:

ari4216

ari4216

Banned
Awards
  • Established
have you guys every tried lamb,beans,barley and spices? That my favorite, ill post the recipe when i have time.

I LOVE LAMB:hot:

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
crock pot is great. I use it for cuts like eye of round, which I eat 10lbs of every month it seems. Tough cuts of meat are best because the tender cuts have that natural flavor that you want to retain with a standard broil or grill.

what I like to do is sear the meat all around after coating with worcestershire and garlic powder, takes less than 5 minutes with a pan, then chuck it into the crock pot.

also grinding your own tough cuts of meat and making burgers is surprisingly good. same idea, break down the fibers and make it easier to eat later on. You need a kitchenaid mixer with a meat grinder attachment. my dad bakes so we have all that crap!

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established
-corned beef
-cabbage
-carrots
-1 part Vinegar to every 3 parts water
-onions
-salt and pepper

cook 7-8 hours

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, local grocery stores have em here, I don't go anywhere special for those, they have tripe(very fatty and VERY good on a cast iron skillet), liver, sweet breads, etc... I pick up whatever is there at the moment, local butcher shops will probably have some too especially if you get to know em and if not they can probably recommend someone.

Most people think that stuff is nasty so it's usually very cheap, I've seen whole organs for for as little as $2 for a 4lb package!

The only thing I do buy separately are pork brains :D I get those from Shopfoodex.com, I have 20 cans coming in tomorrow, they're great with eggs, bacon, sausage and some ketchup. :food:
Pork brains! That is just too awesome. If I was to indulge in something like an organ what does that classify as? I mean are pork brains mostly fat? Some protein?

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Pork brains! That is just too awesome. If I was to indulge in something like an organ what does that classify as? I mean are pork brains mostly fat? Some protein?
That is a really good question!

Fat and cholesterol

Consuming the brain and other nerve tissue of animals is not without risks. The first problem is that the makeup of the brain is 60% fat due to large quantities of myelin (which itself is 70% fat) insulating the axons of neurons. As an example, a 140 g can of "pork brains in milk gravy", a single serving, contains 3500 milligrams of cholesterol, 1170% of the USRDA rating.

Prions

Brain consumption can result in contracting fatal transmissible spongiform encephalopathies such as Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and other prion diseases in humans and mad cow disease in cattle. Another prion disease called kuru has been traced to a funerary ritual among the Fore people of Papua New Guinea in which those close to the dead would eat the brain of the deceased to create a sense of immortality. Some archaeological evidence suggests that the mourning rituals of European Neanderthals also involved the consumption of the brain. Because of the risk of being infected by prions one should always wear gloves when handling brains.

O

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Fatty protein :D

Although the ones I have in the cans here are 5g fat, 14g protein and 9g of carbs.

They're in milk gravy, that's why the macro breakdown is different than fresh brain.

I'll eat pork brains straight out the can, but I prefer them with the above mentioned recipe, fresh brains on the other hand, I prefer cooked in a CI skillet with just butter, lamb, goat and beef are great! :food:

Beef brains have been "banned" by the FDA :FUfinger:.... but if you slaughter a whole cow you can still get it, whole goats go for around $150 here although their meat is too lean for me, so I let someone else buy all the meat and I buy the brains and organs.

Lamb I'll eat the whole thing, meat and organs, their liver is especially tasty.

Consuming the brain and other nerve tissue of animals is not without risks. The first problem is that the makeup of the brain is 60% fat due to large quantities of myelin (which itself is 70% fat) insulating the axons of neurons. As an example, a 140 g can of "pork brains in milk gravy", a single serving, contains 3500 milligrams of cholesterol, 1170% of the USRDA rating.

Prions

Brain consumption can result in contracting fatal transmissible spongiform encephalopathies such as Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and other prion diseases in humans and mad cow disease in cattle. Another prion disease called kuru has been traced to a funerary ritual among the Fore people of Papua New Guinea in which those close to the dead would eat the brain of the deceased to create a sense of immortality. Some archaeological evidence suggests that the mourning rituals of European Neanderthals also involved the consumption of the brain. Because of the risk of being infected by prions one should always wear gloves when handling brains.
Actually, for the 142g can I just ate, there's 3190mg of Cholest, only 1,060% not 1,170 % :D

Animals provide the BEST nutrition, fat and protein are the essential nutrients needed for survival, grains are poisonous for humans, fruits and vegetables are at best, damaging, the optimum human diet is one totally free of plants.

But I just did a refeed last night so let me get off my high horse :lol:

DavesNotHere

DavesNotHere

Awards
Great for pot roast. Get a roast, throw it in some broth. Cook on high about 2 hrs. Add potatoes, carrots, celery, etc, etc. Switch power to low and cook till finished (4-6 hrs?) S n P to taste.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Buffallo roast is good in the crock pot as well. Cook the same as above.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
My wife and I use the crock-pot all the time. Something we make a lot w/ it is homeade bbq chicken (shredded). Put 3-4 breast in a little bit of water and top w/ a tsp of butter on each breast. Come back in 4-5 hours and the chicken pulls apart like nothing. After shredding the chicken, then you add your sauce.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
My wife and I use the crock-pot all the time. Something we make a lot w/ it is homeade bbq chicken (shredded). Put 3-4 breast in a little bit of water and top w/ a tsp of butter on each breast. Come back in 4-5 hours and the chicken pulls apart like nothing. After shredding the chicken, then you add your sauce.
Oh you are the best!! I need to make up a bunch of chicken for my diet and never have the time to get it done!!! Now I can have chicken!!!!:thumbsup:

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Oh you are the best!! I need to make up a bunch of chicken for my diet and never have the time to get it done!!! Now I can have chicken!!!!:thumbsup:
Oh, it's sweet! You can cook a lot of breasts at one time. And, even after reheating, they are still tender and juicy.

I'm a big fan of the shredded bbq thing when I'm not low-carbing.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Oh, it's sweet! You can cook a lot of breasts at one time. And, even after reheating, they are still tender and juicy.

I'm a big fan of the shredded bbq thing when I'm not low-carbing.
Well since I will be low carbing I'll leave the Q sauce off!

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Well since I will be low carbing I'll leave the Q sauce off!
Speaking of BBQ sauce, next time I'm at the grocery store, I'll be looking for some "low-carb" varieties. I've never seen any before, but I've never really looked.

Any ideas on low-carb sauces?

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I had meals done for me for the Olympia and while I decided to not use sauces here is what the dief chef sent.

*Sauces or better yet Aioli's are prepaed using Fat-Free Kraft mayonaise and various herbs, aromatics like garlic, ginger, onion, etc... along with vinegars, citrus, and Splenda. Each Tablespoon of sauce(ailoli) has just 5 calories. Try them. Most love them. I have about 20 or so of these. Today, I gave you Basil-Balsamic for your chicken and/or steak and Lemon-Mustard-Dill for your fish

O

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You can actually take it out 30-60mins and throw it in the oven on the highest setting to crisp it with some FF cheese, tomato sauce and garlic, pretty good and adds minimal calories.

If you wanna add some fat, put some EVOO on it right before you eat it, NOT in the oven or crock pot.

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
Haha damn didn't know this would blow up like this!

I'm cooking ham, red beans, and rice tomorrow. Going for a little cajun flavor :D

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A crock pot is amazing!!! A work of advice though. Don't put something like a t-bone in there. Those cuts of meat are more tender to begin with and more expensive. If you plan on cooking some meat in the slow cooker buy the cheapest meat you can find.
I almost DIED when I saw that you put a TBone in a slow cooker!:nono: Steaks should be grilled or broiled! Great advice^^^^ buy a chuck roast or something CHEAP.

I like to make a tomato sauce with plenty of spices (avg people can use sauce in a jar) saute some chicken breasts quickly, then toss them in the slow cooker and the sauce, cook 'em for an hour and they are soooo good.:food:

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I tried cooking up a bunch of chicken breasts in a pressure cooker one time. Didn't turn out as I expected. Crock pots are much better for bulk cooking IMO.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I've never tried a pressure cooker or a smoker. The crock-pot and gas grill is where it's at. Nothing like going from raw to med. rare in 10 min, grilled to perfection. Hell, I think I let my grill warm up longer than it takes to cook the actual steak.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I've never tried a pressure cooker or a smoker. The crock-pot and gas grill is where it's at. Nothing like going from raw to med. rare in 10 min, grilled to perfection. Hell, I think I let my grill warm up longer than it takes to cook the actual steak.
Pressure cookers are great for fresh veggies IMO.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
My Foreman used to take 20 mins to heat up. I tossed it in the trash. No electric appliance can replace a charcoal/gas grill IMO.
Replace, no. But, we use the Foreman here in the office... it's a lifesaver (only other cooking device we have is a microwave).

Once you learn what to and not to do, it's not bad. Cleaning it is a bitch if you don't have the removable grill surfaces. But, I found that the removable versions don't cook for ****.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Replace, no. But, we use the Foreman here in the office... it's a lifesaver (only other cooking device we have is a microwave).

Once you learn what to and not to do, it's not bad. Cleaning it is a bitch if you don't have the removable grill surfaces. But, I found that the removable versions don't cook for ****.
That is what I have and it doesn't cook as good as my old one. I replaced mine with a new one. My old one was just old!

DavesNotHere

DavesNotHere

Awards
Cleaning's not so bad for me. I just use a wet sponge and mop everything into the grease catcher while it's still hot/warm.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

The george foreman G5 has been good for 20 months and coutning; use it 1-2x/day min. Heats in ~7 mins, great for pressings wraps, burgers, chicken, love it :D

I

ILiftBig

Awards
I just did for the first time. Tossed a frozen T-bone in with some chili base, covered in water. I did this at 1pm (about 8 hours ago)

I added rice about an hour ago, and ate it just now.

Holy ****, I've never had a steak that tender. The rice was perfect.

I'm hooked. If you all want good, easy food, get a slow cooker.

Are there any super tasty recipes I am missing out on here?
We have used one for years. They are great. Load them up in the morning and let it cook all day. You will have a great meal ready when you get home.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
We have used one for years. They are great. Load them up in the morning and let it cook all day. You will have a great meal ready when you get home.
That's the biggest upside, IMO - set it and forget it. :boobies:

haha emotiboobies

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
We have one but don't use it as often, although we had pot roast for dinner tonight and it was awesome! :)

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Actually, for the 142g can I just ate, there's 3190mg of Cholest, only 1,060% not 1,170 % :D

Animals provide the BEST nutrition, fat and protein are the essential nutrients needed for survival, grains are poisonous for humans, fruits and vegetables are at best, damaging, the optimum human diet is one totally free of plants.

But I just did a refeed last night so let me get off my high horse :lol:
3190mg of cholest??? That is insane! What does it taste like? I've never really heard any bad things about cholesterol. I know the cholesterol in eggs is good. I need my grains,fruits,and veggies though...damn

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I recall seeing a video on the web one time where they bring a live monkey out into the dining area. They take the monkey and lock him in a table so that his head is the only thing exposed. Then guys start bashing on his head with little hammers. They eat the brains right there out of the monkeys head. Something about it being warm from the body temperature etc... One of the most ****ed up things I have ever seen.

O

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
3190mg of cholest??? That is insane! What does it taste like? I've never really heard any bad things about cholesterol. I know the cholesterol in eggs is good. I need my grains,fruits,and veggies though...damn
Tastes pretty good, I still prefer fresh beef/lamb brain but it's not bad.

I quit eating grains, fruits and veggies....that stuff sucks.

I recall seeing a video on the web one time where they bring a live monkey out into the dining area. They take the monkey and lock him in a table so that his head is the only thing exposed. Then guys start bashing on his head with little hammers. They eat the brains right there out of the monkeys head. Something about it being warm from the body temperature etc... One of the most ****ed up things I have ever seen.
No different than watching my friends cat eat a few store bought mice , YOU GOTTA EAT! :firedevil:

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Tastes pretty good, I still prefer fresh beef/lamb brain but it's not bad.

I quit eating grains, fruits and veggies....that stuff sucks.

No different than watching my friends cat eat a few store bought mice , YOU GOTTA EAT! :firedevil:
Fruits and veggies suck? I mean to each his own but we are omnivores. Where do you get fiber from?

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I've seen that video. Farked up. If the monkey wasn't beat to death, it wouldn't be bad. Hell, I'd eat some brains... um, maybe cooked brains.

Reminds me of...

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/meeks4president/hannibal-eating-own-brain-scene.gif

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I feel sorry for the poor monkey! He is freaking the **** out during the video! RIP little guy!
Exactly, while Omen may rationalize that we all have to eat. We are a smart enough society to use a humane quick method if we must kill. Beating an animal that can't escape in a slow brutal manner is not the way!