What supplements are, and what they do: a Beginner's guide

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
Nice comprehensive list, I like the simple breakdowns. I actually thought of a question, as I've not heard this statistic before:
Egg whites:

Do not forget to cook them as it will help with absorption. Drinking them like Rocky isn't such a good idea. Cooked egg whites have a (90%) far better absorption rate than raw(50%).

sportprotein.com/ has a great deal on "dried egg whites." I'd assume this would have the poor absorption rate of 50%, rather than 90%? (Meaning one serving of their 12g pure egg protein would actually equate to about 6g?)

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
5 HTP:

This is found in turkey, main reason why you want to sleep at new year's. It helps a lot with sleep issues.
That's a old myth. Turkey don't make you tired. Tired feeling comes from the high intake of carbs stimulating the release of insulin. The mash potatoes, the pasta, the bread, ext. Try eating turkey alone and see what happens. Other protein sources are high in tryptophan and how come no one talks about them? They don't make anyone sleepy yet might have a higher amount of this amino acid. If that were the case too we'd all be getting sleepy after our protein shakes which contain a good amount of tryptophan. Check the web.. this myth was even on the dr's show.

However 5-htp on a empty stomach is great for sleep 100-300mg. You have to have a empty stomach though otherwise absorption will be poor.

Otherwise pretty good post. thanks.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
That's a old myth. Turkey don't make you tired. Tired feeling comes from the high intake of carbs stimulating the release of insulin. The mash potatoes, the pasta, the bread, ext. Try eating turkey alone and see what happens. Other protein sources are high in tryptophan and how come no one talks about them? They don't make anyone sleepy yet might have a higher amount of this amino acid. If that were the case too we'd all be getting sleepy after our protein shakes which contain a good amount of tryptophan. Check the web.. this myth was even on the dr's show.

However 5-htp on a empty stomach is great for sleep 100-300mg. You have to have a empty stomach though otherwise absorption will be poor.

Otherwise pretty good post. thanks.
I've also heard that you release seratonin because of all of the good food.

This thread makes me think of Kindergarten Cop, "Who is your supplement and what does he do."

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
This thread makes me think of Kindergarten Cop, "Who is your supplement and what does he do."
"boys have a penis and girls have a vagina"

Esox Express

Esox Express

Awards
  • Established
I'd like to see the stimulant section developed a little more. Caffeine, Ephedrine, Yohimbine, Synephrine, 1,3 Dimethylamylamine, etc.

bmw8591

Awards
  • Established
I'd like to see the stimulant section developed a little more. Caffeine, Ephedrine, Yohimbine, Synephrine, 1,3 Dimethylamylamine, etc.
Ya something on that info would be good, maybe something like that in the weightloss section. But this thread is awesome, answers all the basic questions that everyone hates repeating.

ncangey0513

ncangey0513

Awards
  • Established
good information. it could use a few more additions and there's a few small things i don't agree with. overall, though, very well written!