What is the Weakest Link in Our Movement Chain? Improvements?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Guys,

I have been doing the "Insanity" workout lately.

Although I do not usually trust anything from TV, I do think this exercise video set does a lot of good with increasing strength, cardiovascular capacity, and range of motion.

Of course, we move better and eventually look better.

1. My question is, what is the weakest link in our bodies?

My guess is the lower abs. If we move with these, then the rest of the body can get better.

If we move with the lower abs, then it seems like the rest of the body works better.

In this way, the upper abs seem to function better. The tight hamstrings have less stress, allowing deeper movement. The glutes and lower back get stronger. The more powerful core allows the prime movers to do their work, etc.

2. Is that correct? Any more info about the movement chain?

Charlesw617

Awards
For me it was my posterior chain, I always had lower back issues when I was younger. When I started doing moderate weight but high rep deadlifts and hamstrings curls 2 years ago I rarely feel any pain now

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
No way you can ever state one area of the body is the weak link for every person for every movement.

But some principles may help anyone figure out where a problem or problems are:

-Stability at the origin of muscle leads to mobility at the insertion, stability first and mobility will follow
-You must stabilize force before your can absorb force, you must absorb force before you can produce force
-To much mobility reduces stability, you only needs enough mobility to perform the desired activity safely, this is typically a little more mobility than the range of motion needed to perform the movement

Try following some of these lines of thought for any movement pattern you are struggling with and you can usually address the issue from a technique or muscular standpoint.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
No way you can ever state one area of the body is the weak link for every person for every movement.

But some principles may help anyone figure out where a problem or problems are:

-Stability at the origin of muscle leads to mobility at the insertion, stability first and mobility will follow
-You must stabilize force before your can absorb force, you must absorb force before you can produce force
-To much mobility reduces stability, you only needs enough mobility to perform the desired activity safely, this is typically a little more mobility than the range of motion needed to perform the movement

Try following some of these lines of thought for any movement pattern you are struggling with and you can usually address the issue from a technique or muscular standpoint.
Very good info.

Any videos or books that can help show tangible examples of what this means in practice?

I know I need to stabilize force. In my case, it would be true with anything around the middle of my body; but, how?

Barn1234

Barn1234

Awards
For me its my lumbar, done so much work to not only strengthen it and my core after some slipped discs (L2 and L5) from rugby injuries.

Found some cool papers comparing isolated lumbar extensions vs squats, deads, rdls and glute raises to determine which is more effective at helping your lumbar. Hope they're useful?