What is the best workout routine to gain mass?

boowhda

Awards
Hi guys..I really need a good workout program to gain mass..What are your suggestions?

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
Gaining mass has more to do with the nutrition.

About 75% of your hypertrophy gains will come from diet, the rest is routine and rest.

Muscle doesn't grow in the gym it grows during protein synthesis where it is being repaired and damaged tissue is being replaced with stronger tissue; however, the best programs I've ever used has been centered around compound exercises, compound exercises recruit multiple joints at a time therefore working multiple muscles where an isolation exercise would work a single joint at a time.

Click yahoo search, then type in "starting strength", it's an excellent mass building program.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
squats and deads

calories, lots of them

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
I agree with the other guys - Eat a lot of clean calories to gain size
For exercises the basic ones are core exercises-- Bench, Squat, Deadlift, Rows

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
I agree with the other guys - Eat a lot of clean calories to gain size
For exercises the basic ones are core exercises-- Bench, Squat, Deadlift, Rows
I agree with you, sticking to the horizonal and vertical push and pulls, deadlifts and squats. I just disagree that the row is a core movement ;-).

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
I agree with you, sticking to the horizonal and vertical push and pulls, deadlifts and squats. I just disagree that the row is a core movement ;-).
Yeah, but if you want to gain size it works like a charm

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, but if you want to gain size it works like a charm
Indeed it does, if you're using the opposing force in the same plane, which would be the horizonal push (bench press), you'd ideally want to use the horizonal pull (barbell row) to avoid shoulder imbalance.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
if u use a FULL ROM of rows it works the upper and lower lats... i seriously think i could get away with doing rows and heavy deads for a huge back.. and i still use behind the neck pulldowns front pulldowns low cable pulls and single arm cable pulls for lats.

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
if u use a FULL ROM of rows it works the upper and lower lats... i seriously think i could get away with doing rows and heavy deads for a huge back.. and i still use behind the neck pulldowns front pulldowns low cable pulls and single arm cable pulls for lats.
Why pulldowns over pullups?

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've done them all...

Nothing tops DC.

If you aren't ready for that then look up 5x5 training

Really doing any body part just once a week is spinning your wheels

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
I've done them all...

Nothing tops DC.

Agreed. No muscle groups needs 168 hours rest before being worked again, scientific studies are showing that muscle groups (depended upon protein intake, supplements, water intake and other common factors) can repair in as little as 36 hours but doesn't usually take longer than 72 hours.

As a beginner you have the ability to make linear progress on your big compounds, if you stick with 4-6 reps (3 x 5 is my favorite) with a full body routine (starting strength is a great one) then you'll notice significant increases in strength, hypertrophy too if you're eating to gain mass.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
I've done them all...

Nothing tops DC.

i was scrollin through my log book the other day from like 2 yrs ago and saw some of my DC training stuff, i dont think i ever gained anything mass from it because this is when i didnt eat enough... but some of my strength progression was kinda impressive.

and 5x5 is where the rest of my strength came from :p

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
eat well, and stick with a more powerlifting style approach

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
if you're fresh to the gym, try 5x5. its not the best for mass, but it builds a foundation like none other.

if you're more advanced, try a more conventional split like push/pull with 4 sets of 8-10 reps.

DC training is by far the best for mass (to answer your question), but its real easy to get injured with DC training if you don't have a good foundation. additionally, if you've been training for under 2 years, its very hard to push yourself to failure 4x per week, and to know when you're at your bodies limit.

food is the equalizer in any workout though - it will make or break your mass gains regardless of training style. i would suggest learning how to eat healthily and follow a clean bulk approach (500 calories over maintenance). use the 5x5 program to capitalize on compound moves, and welcome to AM.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
DC training is by far the best for mass (to answer your question), but its real easy to get injured with DC training if you don't have a good foundation. additionally, if you've been training for under 2 years, its very hard to push yourself to failure 4x per week, and to know when you're at your bodies limit.
there is NO 4 times a week! I have had to tell people on several threads.

I agree100% with everything you said BUT DC only has you train 3 times a week unless you are a top level bodybuilder in which case you train 4 times a week with LESS frequency due to a more spread out bodypart spread.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
there is NO 4 times a week! I have had to tell people on several threads.

I agree100% with everything you said BUT DC only has you train 3 times a week unless you are a top level bodybuilder in which case you train 4 times a week with LESS frequency due to a more spread out bodypart spread.
i thought 4x per week was the normal setup?
M - A1
T - B1
W - off
Th - A2
F - B2

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i thought 4x per week was the normal setup?
M - A1
T - B1
W - off
Th - A2
F - B2
No that was a bastardization that was around years ago. Dante allowed it but suggested almost no one ran it then eventually got fed up and said no one should ever do it and banned it.

Here is the normal way:

M: A1
T: OFF
W: B1
Tr: OFF
Fri: A2

And the 3 way spilt is:

M: A1
T: B1
W:OFF
Tr: C1
F: A2

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
well, i wouldnt say DC is by any stretch the best "mass" routine out there. And yes, i have done it. It does put mass on you, but is extremely low volume. Some guys respond to more higher volume. I would say DC is more of a strength program. Now obviously if u are getting stronger, u are moving more weight, therefore you will put on mass.......but other programs are really good too. Heck the P/RR/S routine i ran for 7 weeks easily was just as good as DC. Look into upper/lower. How about a westside routine. Other things work too

if you're fresh to the gym, try 5x5. its not the best for mass, but it builds a foundation like none other.

if you're more advanced, try a more conventional split like push/pull with 4 sets of 8-10 reps.

food is the equalizer in any workout though - it will make or break your mass gains regardless of training style. i would suggest learning how to eat healthily and follow a clean bulk approach (500 calories over maintenance). use the 5x5 program to capitalize on compound moves, and welcome to AM.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Focus on compound lifts. eat at a surplus. and don't go to the gym more than 3-4 times a week. And for the guys who are younger or not as advanced, try and get stronger. It is the easiest way to put on size when you are not an advanced lifter.

IRON4LIFE

IRON4LIFE

Awards
  • Established
^^^ smart man right there....that's all you gotta do...eat big...lift heavy and you will grow...without a doubt, especially if your young

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
Focus on compound lifts. eat at a surplus. and don't go to the gym more than 3-4 times a week. And for the guys who are younger or not as advanced, try and get stronger. It is the easiest way to put on size when you are not an advanced lifter.
You're a smart man, fella!

I agree once again!

I think we may be long lost brothers! LOL

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
Starting Strength or a similar workout a / workout b approach centered around compound movements with high intensity and moderate volume is the best approach.

A full body routine usually consists of...

1- horizontal push
1- horizontal pull

1- vertical push
1- vertical pull

1- quad dominant movement
1- posterior chain dominant movement

1 or accessories depended upon the individual preference and goals.

If you would use the horizontal pushes without compromising the opposing force (pull), then during the push based exercises the anterior deltoids would be utilized as synergists during the range of motion, overhead developed anterior deltoids and/or underdeveloped posterior deltoids allow the shoulders to roll forward, severity is usually noted by posture or muscle density. The way to avoid this is by pulling in the same plane placing the same utilization on the posterior deltoids to further develop them for a balanced shoulder frame.

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
What part of the shoulder does it hurt? Your rotator cuff? If so, you are perhaps going too wide.

Towl pullups are great, they significantly work the grip.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
i dont go super wide and it hurts, if i go too inside on my grip it feels weird.. idk i just dont see how some ppl start back workouts with pullups?? if there weighted maybe but if u do bodyweight pull ups to start a back workout thats a waste, unlesss ther warm ups..

Deads or rows should start a backworkout

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
i dont go super wide and it hurts, if i go too inside on my grip it feels weird.. idk i just dont see how some ppl start back workouts with pullups?? if there weighted maybe but if u do bodyweight pull ups to start a back workout thats a waste, unlesss ther warm ups..

Deads or rows should start a backworkout
I start out my back workout with pullups, basically because my primary goal is upper back developman and I feel pullups are the least taxing on me, it's enough to warm up my joints and biceps but not necessarily enough to take away intensity from my barbell rows and deadlifts.

I do my pull workouts reverse!

Pullups-
Barbell Row-
Deadlift-

LOL

If upper back is your may concern, there's nothing wrong with doing pullups first. Afterall, they are a great core workout and overall back workout too.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
lol if i was doing it id go

Deads
Rows
Pullups

btw what do u do for lower lats the low pully rows are working and ive tried decline db rows but i dont think they work real well any suggestions

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
I just go heavy on my compounds and gain hypertrophy from it.

The only pull movements or "back movements" I do are deadlifts, barbell rows and pullups; I sometimes incorporate face pulls in my routine to overload the posterior deltoids to prevent rounded shoulders, seeing that I have an already insignificant case of it regardless. But that's all I do for my back.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
i cant get enough of working back i love it.. DB rows, Low pulls, reg pulls, Pulldowns back and front Deads barbell rows tbar rows v bar rows etc..

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
i cant get enough of working back i love it.. DB rows, Low pulls, reg pulls, Pulldowns back and front Deads barbell rows tbar rows v bar rows etc..
I tried cable rows once and just couldn't get feel much tension.

I like machine compound rows! I workout at home though, so no access to the machines.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
cables i think the key is the squeeze at the end. alot of ppl that start there workout with machines try to use a machine to stroke ur ego..

if i was going to the gym and started my workout with 2 arm cable pulls like this guy i saw today, he was jerking the weight back and i doubt he was getting much benifit of it..

Stroke ur ego by doing deads first. u move ur heavy weight and got that alpha mail feeling sure i missed my 435 dead today but i pulled 380 on a bad day, which is pretty damn good. now when i move on to rows and pulldowns etc.. i dont need my ego to be stroked idc that im rowing 60 lb Dumbells hell i can prolly curl them for a couple but the purpose is to burn out and get an overall good workout for some hytrophy sp ? and a good strength builder (deads)