What Is 48-Hour Fasting & What Are the Benefits?

Prince

Prince

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

Yeah, another fasting-based diet. But hear me out. If you’ve tried intermittent fasting in the past, you’ve probably seen some results. This 48-hour fasting plan kicks things up a notch (or three). 48-hour fasting is a type of intermittent fasting where you stop eating for this duration while sticking to calorie-free drinks. It’s believed to have advantages for weight loss and cell renewal. Intermittent fasting has gained popularity over the years because of its possible health benefits. Among various fasting approaches, the 48-hour fast is one of the lengthiest, with shorter fasting periods being more common.

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have done this. I have fasted for 5 days straight before. For me, any benefits past a 24ish hour fast are just not worth it. If you are sick, fast away! If you do physical activity, IF is hard to beat

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I have done this. I have fasted for 5 days straight before. For me, any benefits past a 24ish hour fast are just not worth it. If you are sick, fast away! If you do physical activity, IF is hard to beat
I am cutting right now, it's basically a timed cut from Jan 1 to Feb 8 for vacation, so it's chronologically driven rather than BF, but I'm running the entire cut based on fasting, sorta out of experiment. I would have started sooner, but it's easier to cut when your wife is on a diet and she was adamant about starting on Jan 1 lol

I have mixed in 36hr, 60hr, and my longest was a 66.5hr so about 3 days. I can say I only broke the 3 day fast to have a date with my wife otherwise yeah at 3 days it was far easier than even the first day. definitely was in the zone.

48hr fast is sorta an interesting time enigma to me. If I have dinner at 6-7pm, maybe a snack after and hit the hay before 9pm then My fast usually technically starts at 8pm. 48hrs later then is 8pm 2 days from now. at that point, I'm not going to eat at 8pm, I'm going to sleep and stretching the fast out to 60hrs.

that's why I basically never fast 24hrs. it's either 20:4 (dinner only) or 36hrs, breaking fast with a fat breakfast.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Either way I'm completely fascinated by what I've learned from Hyde and Kleen in the past year about fasting. I've thrown myself into as many articles, studies, and podcasts as I can. RIGHT NOW with my limited experience, I am far far preferring fasting over daily caloric deficits. I'd rather skip food for one day then have to be 100% on all 7 days. It really allows me to eat more freely and reach for that surplus on lifting days.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have fasted for 17 days, and it’s an amazing experience. It challenges you mentally, physically, and spiritually. The best benefit from fasting is Autophagy. The first 15 to 20 lbs you lose is water.

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I have fasted for 17 days, and it’s an amazing experience. It challenges you mentally, physically, and spiritually. The best benefit from fasting is Autophagy. The first 15 to 20 lbs you lose is water.
Does Autophagy start at 16 hours and does the process keep going if you eat or is it a process that starts at 16 hours and you need to not eat for a couple more hours to get say 2 hours of autophagy (16-18 hours)

If that makes sense, just came off night shift and brain is cooked

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Here's a copy of my weigh-ins this month. Each low is obviously end of a fast, with the rebound being fed and better hydrated. I have been doing what I can to mix salt in my water etc and focus on electrolytes both for the health benefit but also to gain more accurate weigh-ins so I'm not just showing massive water loss.

Screenshot_2024-01-24-11-34-21-60_d6adedf4d711c7601603723b834e942e.jpg

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Does Autophagy start at 16 hours and does the process keep going if you eat or is it a process that starts at 16 hours and you need to not eat for a couple more hours to get say 2 hours of autophagy (16-18 hours)

Even small amounts of calories stops autophagy unfortunately

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

It depends on the individual body chemistry and most Autophagy starts after 48 to 60 hours.

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It depends on the individual body chemistry and most Autophagy starts after 48 to 60 hours.
Damn, I read it was at the 16 hour mark it starts haha... looks like I wont be doing that

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

I thought I had kept hearing 30hrs was the starting point, but either way that's one of the reasons I like the longer fasts vs a simple 20:4 style. calorie restriction is one thing, but growth hormone and autophagy are another

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Damn, I read it was at the 16 hour mark it starts haha... looks like I wont be doing that
Kleen introduced me to the Huberman podcast and I believe even with simple 16:8 fasting protocols there were benefits to the circadian rhythm as well as some programmed caloric restriction (in theory, if you are truly missing a meal)

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Here's a copy of my weigh-ins this month. Each low is obviously end of a fast, with the rebound being fed and better hydrated. I have been doing what I can to mix salt in my water etc and focus on electrolytes both for the health benefit but also to gain more accurate weigh-ins so I'm not just showing massive water loss.

View attachment 239847
It looks like you keeping things balanced. If one is doing a prolonged fast, the first 15 to 20 pounds they lose is water weight. When doing a 24 or 48-hour fast will keep you in a caloric deficit. So, you have a good chance of losing true body weight because of the proper refeed.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
After 72 hours, my smell, taste, hearing, and vision increased, burst with energy, and I started to feel smooth calmness. Also, my body is pushing out waste through the bowel movements.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It looks like you keeping things balanced. If one is doing a prolonged fast, the first 15 to 20 pounds they lose is water weight. When doing a 24 or 48-hour fast will keep you in a caloric deficit. So, you have a good chance of losing true body weight because of the proper refeed.
After 72 hours, my smell, taste, hearing, and vision increased, burst with energy, and I started to feel smooth calmness. Also, my body is pushing out waste through the bowel movements.
I believe that, and find it super relatable. the first day of a fast I find myself a little more irritable. but day 2+ it's like food doesn't exist. my wife and i are going dry this month as well and I feel like the fasts have stepped up a level of healing in a way. Like the hardest part of fasting for me usually is boredom. But since I've been doing it in tandem with not drinking, I haven't missed bourbon at all.

when I break my fast, I do it with gusto, lol. usually trying to carb load and just be well fed for a lifting session later.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've grown to love anything diet related that makes me break routine and get out of my comfort zone. I remember when I started IF 16:8 several years ago out of convenience because I was traveling a lot and hated eating **** food on the go. Then I tried 24 hour water fasting and it's remarkable how it clears the mind and makes you realize how much our diets weigh us down. In the last 4 weeks I've been doing very low carb (<100g daily), high protein/fat and my energy levels are off the charts and I am sleeping better. It was really hard because I LOVE my carbs and starches but now I actually have lost the craving. Oral BPC is definitely lending a hand here for the craving decrease.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I did six days. I've had stomache issues
My whole life. It was definatley way better after a 6 day fast for quite a while.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You guys doing multiple days are amazing. Can’t imagine the will power it takes. Someone I’ve followed for the last 20 years is GSP and he is a huge proponent of multi day fasting and looking at him age backwards is convincing, but damn.

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Either way I'm completely fascinated by what I've learned from Hyde and Kleen in the past year about fasting. I've thrown myself into as many articles, studies, and podcasts as I can. RIGHT NOW with my limited experience, I am far far preferring fasting over daily caloric deficits. I'd rather skip food for one day then have to be 100% on all 7 days. It really allows me to eat more freely and reach for that surplus on lifting days.
can you pm me some of that info articles websites etc?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You guys doing multiple days are amazing. Can’t imagine the will power it takes. Someone I’ve followed for the last 20 years is GSP and he is a huge proponent of multi day fasting and looking at him age backwards is convincing, but damn.
for me it's much easier after the first 20-24hrs.