What can I take to help reduce my acne besides antibiotics?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I suffer from acne, I've been on Accutane 3 times. My acne is much better, but not cured. I have topicals, but I do not want to take antibiotics, because I always have bad side effects with them. Last time I took an antibiotic I had joint pain and reoccurring heart burn. I was wondering if there were any vitamins I could take to help. I don't take a multi, because of the fillers and my sensitivity to free glutamic acid, but I was thinking about getting vitamins in bulk powder but haven't got around to it. Someone told me Aloe Vera juice may help.

Brenn

Brenn

Awards
A lot of guys take pantothenic acid (Vitamin B5) while on cycles of Anabolics to reduce acne.

There are documented studies on this if you care to look for them. The usual dose for acne treatment is very high though, 10-20 grams per day, so a high-dosed supplement is required.

Please check it out for yourself rather than taking this as advice. Though no toxicity has been established for B5 even at high levels, I'm not a doc, so you may want to do some good research and talk to a doc first.

You can check it out in wiki, pubmed.org and others for more info. Good luck with it, mate!

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
before you try megadosing B5, try a couple things that are less extreme. I found that good old fish oil helps greatly with controlling the oil levels on your face and eventually that helps prevent acne. Just a couple a day probably wont make a difference, I take about 4g's with every large meal, so 12-15g's a day. I guarantee if you take that amount for a month or so, you will start seeing a difference in how oily your face is.

Always get a good dose of antioxidants, they help greatly. 25000 IU of beta carotene, 1000 IU of E, and most importantly 2-10 grams of C daily. Get your E liquid and your C in powdered form. Vitamin C goes a long way toward good skin health, its also responsible for it's elasticity and normal collagen levels.

Gallon + water a day is very key, helps wash away toxins. Try to wash your pillow cases and towels once a week at least, you want clean sleeping gear not oily.

Ditch your regular shampoos/soaps. They have SLS sodium lauryl sulfate which is a harsh industrial detergent. This aggravates your skin and dries it out to extreme levels, which in turn forces your face to make even more oil. Traditional moisturizers are also loaded with chemicals and don't help as well as they could. Same goes for your regular acne medicine, benzoyl peroxide can easily dry your skin and irritate it.
Instead, go the natural route. At any vitamin shoppe or online you can get Dr. Bronner's oil based soaps. These are made entirely from oils (teatree, coconut, hemp) and they clean amazingly well without any chemicals or drying. I myself have considered my skin to be dry my whole life until I switched to oil based soaps and now there is nothing dry about my face/body. I use the Dr.Bronners to wash my face, shower with it, and there is also a shaving gel. Make sure to get the new pump bottle soaps, those are easier to use and not as oily as the original version. Since you have sensitive/acne skin get the "Baby unscented" kind.

http://www.drbronner.com/

I talk about this all the time but coconut oil will help so much with acne! Ive gotten at least 3-5 PMs from people who tried it and it helped them. Get a good unrefined organic tub of coconut oil, eat 2-3 tablespoons by cooking w/ it or adding it to tea. Also use this as your only moisturizer. Just a little bit is enough for your whole face for the whole day, it absorbs very quickly and has tons of healing powers. Thats the only lotion you will ever need. Also, some people say the coconut oil has helped them with stretch marks from lifting.

If you got any questions let me know.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I suffer from acne, I've been on Accutane 3 times. My acne is much better, but not cured. I have topicals, but I do not want to take antibiotics, because I always have bad side effects with them. Last time I took an antibiotic I had joint pain and reoccurring heart burn. I was wondering if there were any vitamins I could take to help. I don't take a multi, because of the fillers and my sensitivity to free glutamic acid, but I was thinking about getting vitamins in bulk powder but haven't got around to it. Someone told me Aloe Vera juice may help.
There's many products that can aid in acne control and/or elimination. RPN's Banish BCFC and Majestic Mineral Mud are skincare products that work well for sensitive skin.

Aside from using a good facewash (NOT soap), I personally find that either tea tree or lavender oil clears up any blemishes within a day.

Eviscerate also works at clearing up acne within a day.

Also, 5-10g of Vitamin B5 can help control acne; but it takes ~3 months for these effects.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
before you try megadosing B5, try a couple things that are less extreme. I found that good old fish oil helps greatly with controlling the oil levels on your face and eventually that helps prevent acne. Just a couple a day probably wont make a difference, I take about 4g's with every large meal, so 12-15g's a day. I guarantee if you take that amount for a month or so, you will start seeing a difference in how oily your face is.

Always get a good dose of antioxidants, they help greatly. 25000 IU of beta carotene, 1000 IU of E, and most importantly 2-10 grams of C daily. Get your E liquid and your C in powdered form. Vitamin C goes a long way toward good skin health, its also responsible for it's elasticity and normal collagen levels.

Gallon + water a day is very key, helps wash away toxins. Try to wash your pillow cases and towels once a week at least, you want clean sleeping gear not oily.

Ditch your regular shampoos/soaps. They have SLS sodium lauryl sulfate which is a harsh industrial detergent. This aggravates your skin and dries it out to extreme levels, which in turn forces your face to make even more oil. Traditional moisturizers are also loaded with chemicals and don't help as well as they could. Same goes for your regular acne medicine, benzoyl peroxide can easily dry your skin and irritate it.
Instead, go the natural route. At any vitamin shoppe or online you can get Dr. Bronner's oil based soaps. These are made entirely from oils (teatree, coconut, hemp) and they clean amazingly well without any chemicals or drying. I myself have considered my skin to be dry my whole life until I switched to oil based soaps and now there is nothing dry about my face/body. I use the Dr.Bronners to wash my face, shower with it, and there is also a shaving gel. Make sure to get the new pump bottle soaps, those are easier to use and not as oily as the original version. Since you have sensitive/acne skin get the "Baby unscented" kind.

http://www.drbronner.com/

I talk about this all the time but coconut oil will help so much with acne! Ive gotten at least 3-5 PMs from people who tried it and it helped them. Get a good unrefined organic tub of coconut oil, eat 2-3 tablespoons by cooking w/ it or adding it to tea. Also use this as your only moisturizer. Just a little bit is enough for your whole face for the whole day, it absorbs very quickly and has tons of healing powers. Thats the only lotion you will ever need. Also, some people say the coconut oil has helped them with stretch marks from lifting.

If you got any questions let me know.
I am using Dr. Bronner's soap, but I do use prescription Nizoral 3 times a week since I get very bad dry skin around my ears and I use an anti-dandruff shampoo. I may only be able to get one supplement to help right now since I have to rely on my grandmom to pay for it. So, would you recommend Vitamin C over the coconut oil, or Would I be better off with the coconut oil. Money is a little tight right now, so I may only be able to get one. I am already taking cod liver oil. Also, now that you mentioned the cream I don't like using those really either. I am extremely health conscious and don't like the fact that I'm putting chemicals on my body and they are being absorbed. I looked at the vitamin C bulk (Now brand) and its not that expensive, so I might give that a shot.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I am using Dr. Bronner's soap, but I do use prescription Nizoral 3 times a week since I get very bad dry skin around my ears and I use an anti-dandruff shampoo. I may only be able to get one supplement to help right now since I have to rely on my grandmom to pay for it. So, would you recommend Vitamin C over the coconut oil, or Would I be better off with the coconut oil. Money is a little tight right now, so I may only be able to get one. I am already taking cod liver oil.
Yea man i hear you, Im scrapping for supplements myself. You got fish oil already so thats a start. Try washing your head with bronners, it might just take care of any dandruff problem. Those dandruff shampoos usually just work to eliminate symptoms and not the problem, often times making your head really dry.

In terms of price, coconut is probably a little better of a deal. At vitamin shoppe for example, you can get a jar of unrefined coconut for around $10. If you use that to only mosturize it will last you for a long time. Eating it, you obviously go through a whole lot more. Vitamin C in powder you can get for around the same $, maybe little cheaper for the bigger can, but it goes pretty quickly if you take it with meals. So your temporary solution until you get some more ca$h is to get a jar of coconut and use it to moisturize face/hands/behind ears, throughout the day. Before you go to sleep wash with bronners, then apply a small amount of coconut to your face. Right after getting out of the shower apply a good amount to face/behind ears. It will look a little shiny but it absorbs super fast and feels great.

Stop taking hot showers, especially if your water has high levels of chlorine in it (you can usually taste/smell it). Hot water opens up pores and allows a $hit ton of chlorine to get into skin, bloodstream. This irritates skin like no other. Keep a separate towel for face and another for body. Dont rub your face with the towel, pat it dry. Most importantly never ever touch your face with your hands, the amount of oils mixed with dirt from your hands is enough to make anyone break out.

Also, you are still 21 so hormones are still in play. Gradually this will definitely subside.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
This is the one I like to use for moisturizing:

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=SA-7014

spectrum brand

for eating, there are a couple other kinds that vit shoppe sells that are a little cheaper but still great for nutrition. I feel like the spectrum is the most light and non greasy brand for putting on your face.

OH! Try spreading some coconut into your hair after washing it, overnight before bed. Do this a few nights and I guarantee the dandruff will start getting better.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
This is the one I like to use for moisturizing:

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=SA-7014

spectrum brand

for eating, there are a couple other kinds that vit shoppe sells that are a little cheaper but still great for nutrition. I feel like the spectrum is the most light and non greasy brand for putting on your face.

OH! Try spreading some coconut into your hair after washing it, overnight before bed. Do this a few nights and I guarantee the dandruff will start getting better.
Thanks a lot man.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
hey if the link did not show up, go to vitamin shoppe website and search for coconut oil, then click on Spectrum organic unrefined, with the red label.

DenDestroys

Awards
I indirectly helped my acne by taking probiotics after taking a long course run of oral antibiotics. I buy the enteric coated acidophilus pearls you can get just about anyway. I know nutraplanet has a good reviewed probiotic on their site as well.

If that doesn't work, try Apple Cider Vinegar (I took 1tbsp. at breakfast/1tbsp. at dinner) and ate a cup or two of spinach a couple times a day. For some reason, this was extremely effective for my acne.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
thats great advice right there, Apple Cider Vinegar in organic form contains a full mineral profile. drinking 2-5 tbs of it also helps by detoxing

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
There's many products that can aid in acne control and/or elimination. RPN's Banish BCFC and Majestic Mineral Mud are skincare products that work well for sensitive skin.

Aside from using a good facewash (NOT soap), I personally find that either tea tree or lavender oil clears up any blemishes within a day.

Eviscerate also works at clearing up acne within a day.

Also, 5-10g of Vitamin B5 can help control acne; but it takes ~3 months for these effects.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

lol was that a joke?

that would be hilarious. his face would burn sooo much and turn all red.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol was that a joke?

Not a joke at all; it is very effective. I use Eviscerate on my face sometimes and any blemishes are cleared up within 24 hours. There is a small burn after first time application or if a lot is used for ~20 minutes but it is not painful. No redness occurs with me.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

orangerain

Awards
My dermatologist suggested that I take in a lot of fruits and veggies because they work as anti-oxidants. Aside from that, I was told to drink lots of water. She also prescribed a topical that I use every morning and night. My skin is super clear now, loving it. :)

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
My dermatologist suggested that I take in a lot of fruits and veggies because they work as anti-oxidants. Aside from that, I was told to drink lots of water. She also prescribed a topical that I use every morning and night. My skin is super clear now, loving it. :)
I eat fruits and vegetables everyday.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I could use some Help. My son is about 1 month in his cycle of Accutane. He is breaking out badly and we understand that this is common before he starts to clear up. We are told that the Accutane is bringing the Acne to the surface. It's is alot worse now than the original problem and knowing that it is going to get better does not help. Is there anything I can get that will heal or better yet prevent the blemishes. I want proven ideas not theories. Anyone experience this breaking out with Accutane? Is there anything I can do to REALLY help my son immediately. Most say we have to just stay the course and go thru it!

Please Help!

bigshoulders

Awards
As I have had acne problems here are my thoughts:
1) Use "glycolic acid" once a week on your face, its a peel. Do your research, but this REALLY helped for me
2) Visit acne.org and do some reading, its a very good site.
3) Don't depend on Dietary changes having much affect of skin. I think you must principally go down the route of topical products, so go to acne.org and other sites and do your research on these.

Obviously though, it your on accutane though, you probably want to watch what you apply to your face, as your skin will be very dry etc.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I could use some Help. My son is about 1 month in his cycle of Accutane. He is breaking out badly and we understand that this is common before he starts to clear up. We are told that the Accutane is bringing the Acne to the surface. It's is alot worse now than the original problem and knowing that it is going to get better does not help. Is there anything I can get that will heal or better yet prevent the blemishes. I want proven ideas not theories. Anyone experience this breaking out with Accutane? Is there anything I can do to REALLY help my son immediately. Most say we have to just stay the course and go thru it!

Please Help!
BUMP-HELP PLEASE!

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
BUMP-HELP PLEASE!
Yes Accutane will cause major breakouts when you first start it. Supposedly even worse than it looked before. The drug is very strong and it will have unexpected effects on the body, such as a bad initial breakout. Besides doing the accutane, there are other tips in this thread that also help. Make sure to moisturize properly because of the dryness that accutane causes, my suggestion is still unrefined organic coconut oil. Feel free to ask more specific questions.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
lol was that a joke?

She right...it's unbelievable how effective it is - but for liability reasons I cannot directly recommend it.

We're trying to incorporate a SAFE level of some of the active for the Banish Acne Spot Treatment.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Yes Accutane will cause major breakouts when you first start it. Supposedly even worse than it looked before. The drug is very strong and it will have unexpected effects on the body, such as a bad initial breakout. Besides doing the accutane, there are other tips in this thread that also help. Make sure to moisturize properly because of the dryness that accutane causes, my suggestion is still unrefined organic coconut oil. Feel free to ask more specific questions.

We bought the Virgin Coconut Oil, yesterday. What exactly does it do. Is it mainly for moisturizing?

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
We bought the Virgin Coconut Oil, yesterday. What exactly does it do. Is it mainly for moisturizing?
Its really a good thing all around. You can research all the benefits it provides. Great moisturizer and massage oil, speeds up the metabolism if you eat it, antifungal, anti-cancer,antiseptic, etc. In your case you just need a little moisture so apply a pretty good amount a couple times throughout the day and especially at night.

since you bought the coconut oil though, look into all it's medicinal properties.
http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html

mavven

Awards
I am 31 years old and have had severe acne since I was 16. The only thung that has ever cleared my acne completely is Pro Active. If you stop using Pro Active, yes you will break out again, but you have to wash your face every day anyway, so why not use pro Active... I have tried everything from medication to vitamins you name it. Give it a shot I'm pretty sure it will help you...

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I am 31 years old and have had severe acne since I was 16. The only thung that has ever cleared my acne completely is Pro Active. If you stop using Pro Active, yes you will break out again, but you have to wash your face every day anyway, so why not use pro Active... I have tried everything from medication to vitamins you name it. Give it a shot I'm pretty sure it will help you...
Thanx for the input. Pro Active did nothing for my son however. We just increased the doseage of Accutane to 80mgs as we were initially trying low dose to try and avoid sides.

prodigy88

prodigy88

Awards
Retinol is you want to go heavy duty, I would want to try to stay little less caustic. Watch you diet too, too many vitamins may actually increase the acne I know for one, excessive magnesium makes me break out horribly. Anyone know of any good ways to get rid of Backne? It is the worst!