What are the correct dieting calories for me?

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey all,

I'm around 95KG, I think I'm reasonably clean.

I have to be 12-15% BF.

Anyways, my calculator says I should dirt at 2,090 that's 500 cals below maintenance.

I do have it at a setting of *not much activity* and I don't count my lifting sessions.

It's just that a girl at my gym, who maybe was 65-75kg told me she was dieting on 2,300 calories. I was thinking WTF.

I'm quite muscular too, and to be fair I've been dropping weight pretty constantly since dieting from 98.5KG.

I just don't want to under eat, and so far my strength has been pretty solid.

Just wanted some feedback!

Appreciate it

Thank you.

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The only way to know for sure is to log your diet, weight and gym progress over a period of time. Calculators can only tell you so much, real life experience and trial is where the real answere is.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What is your current intake?

What calculator did you use? That sounds pretty low based on weight, but maybe bc you didn’t account for training. Also can’t really just compare to others all the time since there are so many variables.

It doesn’t really matter though as MrMuscle said gauging progress based on what you are currently doing/planning is ultimately what matters. If you are losing at your current intake then whatever that is it is fine (if the rate of loss is fine).

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
MyFitnessPal 🤣

I am tracking, around 2,100. I started around 2,500 but as my weight dropped I dropped my calories.

This calculator is very different, if I factor in 4x weight sessions 60-90mins, and 3 x 30 min cardio sessions it says I should be around 2,600 calories for moderate fat loss.

Jensing

Awards
Like others said it's very hard to say.
In October I weighed 220 lbs and was maintaining on 2300 calories. Since then I slowly increased calories and weigh 230. My maintenance now is about 3800 calories with the same activity level.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ya 2600 sounds more likely, but again if you have what you were tracking at and it was working then just keep going if the rate seems in line with what you were shooting for.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ya 2600 sounds more likely, but again if you have what you were tracking at and it was working then just keep going if the rate seems in line with what you were shooting for.
I just don't want to diet too hard, I'm happy to go slow pace and keep my strength.

Maybe I'll alternate days, on training days 2300-2400 and on days I just do light cardio 2200.

I don't want to lose muscle.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you are truly 12% and go much lower chances are strength will go down no matter what you do. Most people will never be as strong at 8% as they are at twelve to fifteen. If on trt it's more possible but still even then once you hit a certain point you will feel worse. Where are you trying to get to? A true 10% is crazy lean to maintain. Most guys are fatter then they think.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I just don't want to diet too hard, I'm happy to go slow pace and keep my strength.

Maybe I'll alternate days, on training days 2300-2400 and on days I just do light cardio 2200.

I don't want to lose muscle.
Ya it’s a balance between going slow enough to not sacrifice strength and muscle and not going too slow to take forever and lose motivation. Everyone’s balance may be a little different, but that could be a good approach. I eat a little more during the week when I train and less over the weekend.

If you are truly 12% and go much lower chances are strength will go down no matter what you do. Most people will never be as strong at 8% as they are at twelve to fifteen. If on trt it's more possible but still even then once you hit a certain point you will feel worse. Where are you trying to get to? A true 10% is crazy lean to maintain. Most guys are fatter then they think.
I think it depends how frequently someone has been that low and how far they go. I think with proper training and approach people can hold onto more than they think.

But they also definitely tend to be fatter and have further to go than they think as well. 🙃

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ya it’s a balance between going slow enough to not sacrifice strength and muscle and not going too slow to take forever and lose motivation. Everyone’s balance may be a little different, but that could be a good approach. I eat a little more during the week when I train and less over the weekend.

I think it depends how frequently someone has been that low and how far they go. I think with proper training and approach people can hold onto more than they think.

But they also definitely tend to be fatter and have further to go than they think as well. 🙃
Yeah, my strength is exactly the same? That's on 2,100 calories.

MyFitnessPal is way off.

Moderate Fat Loss: 2620 Calories
(-10% deficit

This was selecting moderately active, very active which I seem to be...
4 x weights 60-90mins
Cardio 30 mins x 3
Sauna x 3
It would be cutting around 2,900.

I am worried to eat more now, but I'm upping to around 2,400.

It's stressful haha.

This device says I'm 18% but I use to sit around 11% so I have a rough idea.

I will take a photo, but to be honest I'd be happy if I was 15-18% and looked like I do currently! Haha.

I've never been a big eater, so my body is probably used to running on under eating.

I don't have a big appetite, even when I'm sticking to 2100 calories I'm more interested in eating out of boredom than actual hunger.

This is the first time in 15 years I've even tracked food, I only lift weights four times a week like a broker split and I've just started adding 30 minutes of cardio three times a week for health benefits.

I would probably like to get to 10% bodyfat, and just see where I am at. I think 10% with my muscle mass would look good, I don't really kill myself at the moment and my Marcos aren't strict either.

I'll take a progress photo, see where I am at.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wanted to note, I am taking Evomuse DCP, and OL Massacr3.

I honestly believe Urobilin is what's keeping my strength the same.

I've taken it before, and I had good strength gains.

After this 8 weeks is done, I am switching to FD2 and maybe Vector original.

I have many old supplements, but not much helps. I did love FD2 back in the day for endurance, and Urobilin is one of the few supplements I think I've felt a difference.

Otherwise I could swap Vector for Test boosters as I got some spare ones to help keep strength.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I mean if you are losing at a rate you are fine with then there is no reason to change. Calculators are only to get you started, once you are into it who cares what they say.

Maybe it is a bit low, but that just means it will be harder to decrease down the road, but that just means in the future trying to keep it up higher with more activity may be a better start. That isn't always possible though, you have to take into account each individual situation.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I mean if you are losing at a rate you are fine with then there is no reason to change. Calculators are only to get you started, once you are into it who cares what they say.

Maybe it is a bit low, but that just means it will be harder to decrease down the road, but that just means in the future trying to keep it up higher with more activity may be a better start. That isn't always possible though, you have to take into account each individual situation.
Yeah, I mean 2,100 sounds very low just for my weight.

I'm just eating 200-300 Cal's more on weight training days.

Hard to measure progress etc