Weights up, scales down…

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Had a post on the training forum and got some good advice and running a log was one of them.

So here we go….
Male-35
Height-6’1”
BW- 259.4
BF- don’t know but guessing high..
I will get some starting pictures up here in the coming days.

Haven’t hit the gym in a long while and a not very active job anymore. I travel and live on the road I do construction management. Wife travels with finishing her degree remote/online.

Starting pretty light and full body for starters to get things back in the groove. Running StrongLifts 5x5 3 days a week, alternating cardio in the 2 off days and then taking 2 rest days for now.

Tracking macros and will post them along with the workouts during the log. Not sure how often to check weight. Have contemplated every morning, or doing once a week like Monday morning? Will follow up with a reply for Monday and Tuesday.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Monday 1/31/22

Squat 5x5-145lb
Bench 5x5-125
BB row 5x5- 105
Tricep pushdown 8x3- 50

2365 calories/ 211 grams protein

Tuesday 2/1/22
30 minutes treadmill incline 9/ 3-3.5 mph

2375 calories/ 221.5 grams protein

Feeling pretty good, legs are definitely feeling a lot better. Lifts from Monday felt good, we will see how tomorrow feels!

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
In for support and to see your progress. Glad you started this. Stay dedicated!

I weigh myself every morning after taking a leak, in my underwear, so there are as few variables as possible. Water weight will shift things from day to day, but you can average your totals each week to get a better idea of your overall progress. Just my thoughts there, take it or come up with your plan, whatever works for you.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
259.2 this morning. Slept like **** and was up at 5am. Todays workout I just didn’t feel as strong but ground er out.

5x5
Squat-150lbs
Seated OHP- 75
Deadlift- 195
Tricep push downs straight bar 3x10-50lbs
Tricep rope pull down 3x10-40 lbs
Bicep cable curl super long slow 3x10 -60
And I was toast…

Calories 2119 /protein 202 g/ fat 39.1 g/ carbs 193 grams

A few horrible pictures, will try to get better ones.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
259.2 this morning. Slept like **** and was up at 5am. Todays workout I just didn’t feel as strong but ground er out.

5x5
Squat-150lbs
Seated OHP- 75
Deadlift- 195
Tricep push downs straight bar 3x10-50lbs
Tricep rope pull down 3x10-40 lbs
Bicep cable curl super long slow 3x10 -60
And I was toast…

Calories 2119 /protein 202 g/ fat 39.1 g/ carbs 193 grams

A few horrible pictures, will try to get better ones.
IMG_3520.JPG
IMG_3521.JPG

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
You'll be glad you are taking pictures. Take pictures without the shirt too (even if you don't post them) so you have some before photos that you can look back at in a few months when you're making progress.

I love taking new photos every 3 weeks and comparing the first week to now. Really motivating!

Last edited:
akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
35 minutes of cardio today treadmill 10 percent incline 3.5 mph

Calories 2162/ protein 211 grams/ fat 58 grams/ carbs 180 grams

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Friday

5x5
Squats- 155lbs
Bench- 130
BB row- 110
Shoulder shrugs- 130 4x10
Rope Tricep pushdown- 50lbs 3x12

Was just not overly hungry today.
Calories 2031/ protein 161 grams/ fat 89 grams/ carbs 143 grams.

I’m tracking all my food anything I drink **** I put on food, was a little surprised that I stayed 259 all week.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Good Luck In Your Quest, I Will Be Following Along !

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well well well.. after a weekend of spending time with the wife and the 2 dogs, it’s back to the work.

5x5

OHP- warmup bar X 10/ 60 x5/ 80 5x5

Squats- warm up bar x10/ 85 x8/ 135 x5/ 160 5x5

Deadlift- warmup 95 x5/135x5/ 205x5

Barbell shrugs- 95x10/ 135x10/135x10/95x10

Was spent afterwards.

This morning weight 260

Calories 2012/fat 49.1 grams/carbs 148.5/protein 190.3

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nice workout, I would try to get that Protein intake closer to 250 grams

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It’s been somewhat of a learning curve trying to get my protein higher but not including a lot of calories. Definitely need to plan out meals for work to get it up higher.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Canned Tuna 3.25 oz 21 grams of protein Quick, Easy and Cheap ! Sam' Club brand is very good!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Today was a good day, it helped that it was almost 50 out so coming from the single digits I was happy.

30 minutes treadmill 3.5 mph at 9 perfect incline.

Tricep v grip push downs-40lbx10/50x10/60x10/30x burnout

Barbell curl- 40lbsx12/50x10/50x10/50x8

Hammer curls-25lbsx10/25x10/25x10/25x8

Weight 158.8
Calories 1982/ fat 42.3g/ carbs 180.5g/ protein 217.5g

Sent the wife today on a sams club mission, so have some high protein snacks to pack along in my tote tomorrow (thanks for the info Rocket!)

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Today was a good day, it helped that it was almost 50 out so coming from the single digits I was happy.

Weight 158.8

Sent the wife today on a sams club mission, so have some high protein snacks to pack along in my tote tomorrow (thanks for the info Rocket!)
I think you and your body will enjoy the additional protein !!

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar

Weight 158.8

Lost 102 lbs! WOW! :ROFLMAO:

I'm the king of typos so I shouldn't throw stones but I thought it was funny.

Gotta love arm day, and GJ with the cardio, keep it up!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
**** I didn’t catch that! Well even though this is the land of internets, rest assured I have not lost 100+ pounds lol!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well today was a busy ass day and it shows in my macros as I didn’t get what I was aiming for. I did find some interesting burger it’s called ancestral blend. Grass fed beef but they include heart and liver.

5x5
Bench-warmup 45x10/65x10/95x10/135x5x5

Squats- warmup 45x10/95x10/135x5/165x5x5

BB rows- warmup 45x10/65x10/95x8/115x8x5 (was feeling back so added in the extra reps for the 5 sets)

BB shrugs- 95x15/115x10x3

Neck work with 10lb plate

Weight 259.4

Calories 1682/fat 43 grams/ carbs 159 grams/ protein 167 grams

Still got some time this evening so might get down a shake and 200 grams of low-fat cottage cheese.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Organ meat is good for you!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Went for a couple long walks at work today was a little slow so made good use. Feeling tighter today overall, also have a gripper in my truck and put that to use quite a bit.

Got 6 miles in total today after work picked up the wife and headed to the gym for 30 mins treadmill incline 9 and 3.5 mph 15 min 4mph 15min.

Weight 260.2

Calories 2006/ fat 51 grams/ carbs 126 grams/ protein 255.1 grams

Last week I was steady 259, this week pretty much the same. I can tell my pants are a little looser and shirts fit better. I can see better definition in the mirror. Feeling good, it’s a bit of a mind **** that I haven’t budged the scale much though, none the less still feeling solid!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Stick with your plan and you will see the results!

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just a thought, I know you're going for full body WOs, but I'd think about focusing on one big compound lift per session - then accessory lifts for the others. So say Monday you do bench press and do something like pull ups and lateral raises or something like that, rather than benching, squatting and rowing all on the same day. I'd find that extremely taxing, not in a good way. Then next session, you could do DB flys plus, rows or deadlifts as your heavy movement, something like your triceps pressdowns, etc. See what I mean?

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Just a thought, I know you're going for full body WOs, but I'd think about focusing on one big compound lift per session - then accessory lifts for the others. So say Monday you do bench press and do something like pull ups and lateral raises or something like that, rather than benching, squatting and rowing all on the same day. I'd find that extremely taxing, not in a good way. Then next session, you could do DB flys plus, rows or deadlifts as your heavy movement, something like your triceps pressdowns, etc. See what I mean?
This is good advice, I think you'll see better results in the long run with a split along these lines because your nervous system on those big compounds, so you should be able to get more out of them. But only do this if you're going to stay dedicated and interested. If you're really digging your current split and would lose motivation by changing it up then stick with it. I personally love tweaking my routines and rotating in old ones to keep things fresh.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Last week I was steady 259, this week pretty much the same. I can tell my pants are a little looser and shirts fit better. I can see better definition in the mirror. Feeling good, it’s a bit of a mind **** that I haven’t budged the scale much though, none the less still feeling solid!
I haven't seen the scale change for me in the last 5 months (with the exception of +/- about 3 lbs of water weight), lifting 5 days a week and eating clean, but my progress photos tell the real story. The number on the scale is just a number; and it sounds like right now you're experiencing a change in body composition even though the scale isn't moving. As you build more muscle you'll be increasing your basal metabolic rate, continually putting yourself in a better and better position to use calories up. Eventually a caloric deficit will result in a lower total body weight.

There are ways to reduce the number on the scale quicker, but if you're steadily building lean body mass and reducing your body fat percentage: why change what's currently working?

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Agree Match I’m not seeing the scale move but things are improving.

Also yes to running a split, that is what i use to run back in the day. I think for now just with how long I have been away from it and getting nutrition dialed back in I’m feeling good on the 5x5. I started with low weight building up, I feel like I have about another month of progression I can build before I stall from compounds in the 3 days.

Once I start stalling I should have a good amount of strength built back up and have my form in shape and my core a lot more stable. Then start looking at moving to a 4 or 5 day split.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions though, let me know if this makes sense or not even close. Im here to learn and grow, I definitely don’t have much knowledge down this road.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
100% agree to this

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yesterday, feeling good everything feels tighter got to love that feeling. Didn’t get my walks in since it was hurricane wind, miserable place.

5x5
OHP- warmup barx10/55x8/65x5/85x5x5

Squats-warmup barx10/65x10/95x5/135x5/170x5x5

Deadlift-warmup 135x5/215x5

BB shurgs- 135x10/155x10/155x8

DB shurgs- 65x10/65x10/65x8

Front raises-10x10/10x10/10x10

Was feeling quite swole and was liking the looks in the mirror.

Weight 260.2

Calories 2463/ fat 113.1 grams/ carbs 254 grams/ protein 233 grams.

With all the suggestions about switching up to a split and not doing 3 big compounds 3 days a week. I will be searching around looking for a plan or program to run. Any suggestions?

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hectic day today but that’s life. Decided to run a 3 day split while keeping the 2 days of cardio. Push/pull/legs. Not going to lie I was dying through the first one today, shoulder pump was insane.

Also ran a axe and sledge hydraulic stim free before gym.

Push day
Bench- warmups/ working sets 3x10 140lbs

Incline DB bench press- warmups/ working sets 3x10 45lbs

DB seated OHP- warmups/ working sets 3x10 25lbs

DB front raise- warmups/ working sets 3x10 15lbs

DB side raise- warmups/working sets 3x10 15lbs

Tricep push down machine- warmups/ 3x10 130lbs

Tricep cable push down-warmups/ working sets 3x10 60lbs

Weight 260.4

Calories 1637/ fat 47.3 g/ carbs 109.6 g/ protein 219.6 g

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
1600 calories for a guy your size is a tough one!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I should have stated that on my days, the tracker I use it subtract what my daily steps and exercise was and subtracts. So in total I was 2109, so I will start stating that from now on.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well yesterday was a day. Long story short me and the wife travel in our 5th wheel as I work for a engineering company on construction sites so we travel all over the states. Yesterday evening I get back and discovered a water line fitting broke and had quite the mess. Spent all evening and a good part of the night getting it repaired and cleaned up, as there is another winter storm coming and cold weather. So didn’t get any gym time in nor did I get all my protein in. Life goes on,will be in the gym tonight!!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sounds like No Fun !!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It was a major pain in the ass! Well today was betterishh, sore as **** from all the crawling around and working on the water system until 10 last night. Muscles are still feeling tight and just feel good.

Today push
BB row- warmups/ working sets 3x10 120lbs

DB row- 3x10 30lbs

Machine row- 3x8 130lbs

DB curl- 3x10 25lbs last set I was struggling on last 2

DB hammer curl-3x10 25lbs same on this struggle bus on last set next time might drop to 20lbs

AB machine-3x8 30 lbs

Back extension machine- 2x20 90lbs

Weight 257.4

Calories 2213/ fat 54 grams/ carbs 214 grams/ protein 193 grams

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Glad you got your workout in !!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I got the wife going along with me also so it helps if I don’t have the motivation she tells me to get with it and let’s go

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well yesterday was a day. Long story short me and the wife travel in our 5th wheel as I work for a engineering company on construction sites so we travel all over the states. Yesterday evening I get back and discovered a water line fitting broke and had quite the mess. Spent all evening and a good part of the night getting it repaired and cleaned up, as there is another winter storm coming and cold weather. So didn’t get any gym time in nor did I get all my protein in. Life goes on,will be in the gym tonight!!
Winter camper living isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. I did that life for 7 years in my younger-ish days. It’s keeps it interesting, that’s for sure.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Dang, sorry to hear about the water line issues!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yeah it sucks really, it’s easier and harder at the same time now the wife comes along. Last 2 years I got lucky and have been south in the winter so I didn’t have to deal with cold. That per diem always dragging me back out

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Definitely a little sore today, but feeling gooooood. Sleep has been good, but struggling to get up with my alarm in the morning. Got food in today I can always tell the day after the weights my appetite is strong.

Got almost 2 miles in at work.

Tonight 15 minutes on the elliptical thing with resistance.

Then 15 minutes on treadmill 9% incline 3.5 mph.

At home did some band pull aparts, stretching, gripper work.

Weight 259.4

Calories 2207/ fat 56.1 grams/ carbs 203.2 grams/ protein 225.5 grams

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yesterday was a special day so took the wife out for date night and movie night. She picked the movie, it was better then I anticipated, the flick was “dog”

Still hammered out legs though.

Squats- warmups/ 3x10 125lbs
Leg extensions- 3x10 55lbs
Lying leg curls- 3x10 60lbs
Calf machine- 3x10 80lbs
Leg press- 1x10 230lbs
Standing calf raise- 2x15 (65lbs on BB)
Ab machine- 3x10 115lbs
Back extension machine- 3x10 95lbs

Weight 259.2
Calories 2435/ fat 79.5 grams/ carbs 254.2/ protein 198 grams

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice when you can take the missus out proper and still stay on track for your goals too!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well it’s been a win win as I have got her going to the gym as well sometimes she does weights with me sometimes she sticks to the cardio. We both have goals to obtain, makes it easier with the food/clean diet and routine with both of us on board.

The hardest part was getting her out of her comfort zone, she fought hard on it. Sometimes she fucking hates me in the gym pushing her out of her comfort zone, she will cuss me up and down. Then leaving in the truck she thanks me gotta love it.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sounds like a nice arrangement

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
After a good warm weekend back to work. It was actually nice enough Sunday I had the smoker rolling did a smoked meatloaf and sat outside for the afternoon.

Had to do a few different things as gym was packed. I also had to drop some weight down.

Machine chest press- warmups/ 3x10 85lbs /2x8 110lbs

Incline DB BP- warmups/ 3x10 35lbs/1x5 50 lbs

DB OH seated press- warmup/ 3x10 30 lbs

Front raise- 3x10 10lbs

Side raise- 3x10 10lbs

Tricep v bar pushdown- 3x10 70lbs

Tricep extension machine- 3x10 110lbs

Was smoked, shoulder pump was stupid strong almost painful. Tricep work felt really strong, my front raise and side raise seem to be really weak.

Forgot to get on the scale this morning.

Calories 2182/ fat 97.8 grams/ carbs 125 grams/ protein 220 grams

Fat was up from the leftover meat loaf, carbs lower then normal. Feeling good sleep has been really good, happy about that. Having to wear a belt to keep the pants in place. Can see my shoulders, traps, arms starting to show in the mirror.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Congrats on the progress!

Nobody cares what you can lift for shoulder raises, trust me - they are a hypertrophy move and the goal is just to do them well and progress them slowly as you can safely. Build up until you can hit 15 good reps/set, then bump weight and begin the climb again.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I fukin hate about 98.7% of meatloaves lol
But, one day someone smoked a meatloaf and made me a smoked meatloaf sandwich and holy fukin moley. 👌👌👌

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Fat was up from the leftover meat loaf, carbs lower then normal. Feeling good sleep has been really good, happy about that. Having to wear a belt to keep the pants in place. Can see my shoulders, traps, arms starting to show in the mirror.
Seeing the progress and feeling that smaller waist, is a great motivator!! Congratulations!!