Vitamin D question

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Through blood work my vitamin D was in the upper limits without supplementation. Is it pointless to take if that is the case?

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
An observation - I am not sure what you mean by the upper limits, but if that upper limit is tied to RDA - then (IMO) most RDA values are low - and I would look at Vitamin D levels in terms of the amount recommended by health oriented sources, not RDA or MD suggestions (which are likely to be based on RDA). If that helps, great. If not, it was well intended.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Through blood work my vitamin D was in the upper limits without supplementation. Is it pointless to take if that is the case?
The range for Vitamin D levels per Labcorp testing is 30 to 100 ng/ml.

Most doctors want your levels to be above 70 and some prefer higher, but you don't want it to go over 100 ng/ml.

So it would depend on what your levels are. I know you said it was in the upper limits, but its a pretty broad range as to what that could mean.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Mine is 72 with no vit. D supplement, no multi

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Mine is 72 with no vit. D supplement, no multi
That's pretty good. I take 5,000 IU per day + an extra 2,000 IU per day from Cardiovascular Support XT and have never been able to get mine that high.

If you want to supplement with Vitamin D, I would say to start with a low dose of it. I don't think you need a high dose.

I'm not sure if you are interested in cardiovascular health supplements, but for example, Cardiovascular Support XT has 2,000 IU of Vitamin D in it and that would be fine. It's a great formula overall for cardiovascular health.

But if you're thinking just straight vitamin D supplement, I would go with a 1,000 or 2,000 IU; definitely not a 5,000 like I take. I use the NOW Foods brand for it.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Was looking for k2 add on. Thoughts? Just solo k2 supplement

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Actually, Cardiovascular Support XT has Vitamin K2 in it also.

If using single ingredient vitamins, NOW Foods is my go to brand for those as a brand I trust and they have a Vitamin D & K2 supplements.

Here is a link for Cardiovascular Support XT if you or anyone else reading wants to check it out:

CardiovascularSupportXT-print-120caps-SUPP-FACTS.png

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Koncentrated K is the best dosed vitamin-k product Ive seen. Chase Irons used it for a period [he double dosed it, 2caps per day] and says it reduced his CAC to 0.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I am a big fan of Vitamin K2, especially when supplementing with Vitamin D3.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So with no current health issues what would you recommend k2 dosage? I do think cardio xt is great, just fortunately I am not in need. But again if money was not a issue I would take for sure as a preventative.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
So with no current health issues what would you recommend k2 dosage? I do think cardio xt is great, just fortunately I am not in need. But again if money was not a issue I would take for sure as a preventative.
If there are no issues, probably not (obviously you need to make that call) - but I do, based on family history. But I am not aware of a downside of supplementing with K2, except for cost. IMO, whenever someone supplements with D3, it should along side K2.

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I wouldn't supplement with Vitamin D separately outside of it being in a multi vitamin or other supplement. I have to take additional Vitamin D because I'm deficient but you're good.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
If you were going to use K2 by itself, then I would go with minimum 90 mcg. K2 and no more than 180 mcg. supplemental K2 per day.