Vitamin C in excess of 500mg daily?

DSA1

Awards
Men's Health last month had a short article that cited a study showing that dosing of Vitamin C in excess of 500mg per day increased muscle recovery time for muscle building exercises by as much as twice as long.

I was curious if the benefits of higher doses (500mg 2x/day) outweighed the negative of longer recovery time.

Any opinions?

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
I didn't read the article but would be interested in the answer also. My D.O. has me on 3 gm per day (1gm w/each main meal). I haven't read a whole lot recently on the Vit C controversy (do or don't low or high dose etc) but I seem to recall old studies regarding the flushing effect that hi doses has and the influence C has on other nutrient absorptions.

I seem to remember it helping in reducing lactic acid and toxins at the end of the day, calcium absorption etc.

DSA1

Awards
I didn't read the article but would be interested in the answer also. My D.O. has me on 3 gm per day (1gm w/each main meal). I haven't read a whole lot recently on the Vit C controversy (do or don't low or high dose etc) but I seem to recall old studies regarding the flushing effect that hi doses has and the influence C has on other nutrient absorptions.

I seem to remember it helping in reducing lactic acid and toxins at the end of the day, calcium absorption etc.
I always take Men's Health with a grain of salt, because I've seen them print as fact stuff that I know to be inaccurate, but I've seen good stuff in there as well. I only take it because the subscription was free? ;-)

spinn

Awards
  • Established
I take 5 grams a day as a powder in water and sipped throughout the day.

I staretd this 3 years ago and havent had the flu or a cold since.

Shouldnt say that......I will now get bird flu tomorrow.

DSA1

Awards
I take 5 grams a day as a powder in water and sipped throughout the day.

I staretd this 3 years ago and havent had the flu or a cold since.

Shouldnt say that......I will now get bird flu tomorrow.
Do you lift weights? I'm really curious about this claim that megadosing (which to them is more than 500mg per day) increases recovery time for muscles, which is not a good thing for weightlifters. On the other side of the argument, I remember a Muscle & Fitness magazine that had a dude getting IV megadoses of Vitamin C and him getting great results in his quest to go from average joe slob to fit and lean muscular. That story was anecdotal, though, no research behind it.

I need to find the actual study they cited and see what all it says.

The doc has me on 500mg twice per day...5000mg seems like a lot. ;-)

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
How would you test this?

I don't think I could really tell the difference if I were to cut back or stop my Vit C. It would be difficult to establish a set routine exact lifting tech's, weights, times etc not to mention emulating the same diet during your on/off trials.

Maybe in rats in a lab but to do a human trial would be very difficult. IMO

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Men's Health last month had a short article that cited a study showing that dosing of Vitamin C in excess of 500mg per day increased muscle recovery time for muscle building exercises by as much as twice as long.

I was curious if the benefits of higher doses (500mg 2x/day) outweighed the negative of longer recovery time.

Any opinions?
I only do high doses of C when I get cold/flu symptoms. I do 500 mg chewable every 2 hours until I recover. Otherwise I do 1000 mg daily with bioflavonoids, rutin, and rose hips

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I havent came across anything negative about megadosing vitamin C, I think anyone who puts any strain on there body should take vitamin C, all mammals except for 4 species produce there own vitamin C, and it increases in times of need. The ony thing I have heard about megadosing vitamin C is when used intraveniously and I havent yet come across any clear evidence of even that being bad.
Keep in mind vitamin C isnt a replacement for oranges, oranges have 60 phytonutrients.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Increased risk for kidney stones with excessive amounts. By excessive amounts I mean >1000mg/day

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you tell the right people that you want to prove something via a study, it will be 'proven'. Just because one study that's been corraborated by a bunch of people who's main goal is to sell magazines doesn't mean it's 100% true.

Your best bet is to lower your intake of C for a few weeks, assess whether or not you make noticeably better recovery, and go from there.

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
I recommend 500mg BID. That seems effective--and prudent.

Dr. Linus Pauling advocated more than 10 grms per day.
I read his book yrs. ago even before finding out I had low T. Best I could do was 3g's you will get the runs on this so he said take it until this happens then back off. Still on 3g's today just started back on it 5 months ago.
Phil

goes4ever

Awards
  • Established
I use 1g in the AM and 1G before bed, have done this for several yrs, it does help to keep sickness away

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I came across a vitamin C in Australia made by the leading company in vitamins here. I did research on all the ingrediants and they seem pretty good, although I have heard some people respond better to Sodium ascorbate rather then Ascorbic acid and possibly visa versa, either way it contains both.

Ascorbic acid 400 mg
Sodium ascorbate 350 mg
Calcium ascorbate (equiv. to vitamin C 1000mg) 400 mg
Citrus bioflavonoids extract 25 mg
Rutin 50 mg
Hesperidin 50 mg
Rosa canina (Rosehips) extract
equivalent to dry fruit 250 mg
Malpighia punicifolia (Acerola) extract
equivalent to dry fruit 50 mg

Deke

Awards
I have been using Vitamin C 4-6 grams a day. I usually get sick 3 times during winter and have not gotten sick this winter. I have even been close to people who have been sick and have not caught it.

On another note, I noticed that after I play hockey (aggresive physical activity) my body takes 2 grams and does not color the urine at all or very slightly compared to other times consumed. I have noted this every time.

I am guessing that it is the anti-oxidant properties of C removing the free radicals created from the excersise.

Does anyone else have a similar experience? I actually just now joined this board with the intent to research this very topic.

Maybe others could try this and report back.

spinn

Awards
  • Established
I take 5 grams vitamin C a day and just got sick for the first time in 3 years....not sure about the exercise part.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
The original statement is pretty inconclusive without it saying why it could of been. The dose could of induced metabolic acidosis wich would of explained it. If it was longterm the dose could of depleted other nutrients, I think taken properly vitamin C would be beneficial on muscle recovery.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
That's an awful lot. And quite an acid load on the body.

I recomend 500mg BID.

Going over 500mg also increases iron absorption--NOT a good thing for most males, especially those with hemochromatosis.

Over 1000 mgs a day can lower copper levels as well and cause low WBC and neutropenia. What i am dealing with now, but I do not know if its low copper or copper excess from low copper serums and ceruoplasm

Chip Douglas

Awards
Hardasnails1973 : have you seen the PM I sent you ?

Thanks