• RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
what do you guys think of the new AOTP album.

i think the old one blows it away, and i dont like the new guys on it.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Haha, didn't I show that to you? Fvcker.

Yes you did Mullet, and I am greatly appreciative...:wave:

I was also going to ask you, do so some of Reef's songs sound really commercial to you and other songs sound really underground??? Just wondering if it was just me...Maybe he is trying to reach a more mainstream audience at times...can't really blame him I guess.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
what do you guys think of the new AOTP album.

i think the old one blows it away, and i dont like the new guys on it.
I am not too good with acronyms who is this?

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
atmosphere, 7L and Esoteric, Jedi Mind Tricks, Aesop Rock

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
my fav track on the cd. the rest of the cd is aight tho
heres a tune off the new cd:

S

skunkman

Awards
If you guys are looking for a way to find new music pandora.com is the sh*t. It's my second most visited site next to here.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
If you guys are looking for a way to find new music pandora.com is the sh*t. It's my second most visited site next to here.
I just joined over there...thanks bro, this site is the sh1t

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Everyone of you must check out Haiku D'Etat....now!

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Jeru and dirty rotten scoundrels/Group Home. Nice drop Alexander.. maybe you aren't so bad after all.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
How do you guys feel about Definitive Jux? A lot of their stuff is really an acquired taste...

I have been listening to a lot of Company Flow lately, and all of the def. jux is starting to grow on me.

I had a bad taste in my mouth from Bazooka Tooth, but el-p is def. growing on me.

So I was just wondering what the fellow heads thought?

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
El P and Cannibal Ox are good stuff. Def Jux was good when I was listening to them. haven't really been following much for a while.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
How do you guys feel about Definitive Jux? A lot of their stuff is really an acquired taste...

I have been listening to a lot of Company Flow lately, and all of the def. jux is starting to grow on me.

I had a bad taste in my mouth from Bazooka Tooth, but el-p is def. growing on me.

So I was just wondering what the fellow heads thought?
Def Jux., is a certain type of grimy-progressive hip-hop, but I like it. Cage is becoming much more refined, Hell's Winter was an underrated album.

I like CO, moreso Vast Aire's MC'ing though. There is a Chicago MC called 'Diverse' who has a sick track with Vast Aire called 'Uprock', produced by RJD2. That whole album (Diverse's) is amazing, "One AM" is the name.

I'm not too sure what Aesop was doing with Bazooka Tooth either, but None Shall Pass was more of a return to form. If you really like Aesop you cannot get away from Float and Appleseed. Those are his best two albums, imo.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
I'm not too sure what Aesop was doing with Bazooka Tooth either, but None Shall Pass was more of a return to form. If you really like Aesop you cannot get away from Float and Appleseed. Those are his best two albums, imo.
So you prefer Float and Appleseed over Labor Days?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So you prefer Float and Appleseed over Labor Days?
Most definitely. Big Bang, 1000 Deaths, and Skip Town are my favourite Aesop songs. Appleseed is much less known, but his best work, IMO.

His rhymes on that album are much more raw and cryptic. I'm one of those annoying people who say, "I like his early work much more", but usually have a good reason. I find I enjoy listening to unpolished raw talent more than a more sophisticated sound, but it isn't for everybody.

Aesop really 'toned down' the intricacy of his lyrics to appeal to a wider base from Bazooka Tooth on, in my opinion (Fast Cars, even None Shall Pass).

Everybody does, though. I mean, even check out this song Atmosphere made way back in the HeadShots days:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEKQ-3_MhY0"]YouTube - Urban Atmosphere - Ear Blister (Full MP3)[/ame]

While Slug progressed massively, I still prefer the above link.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
I have float, but I have had a hard time finding Appleseed...

What did you think of Music for Earthworms?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have float, but I have had a hard time finding Appleseed...

What did you think of Music for Earthworms?
MFE was not bad, but as I said, I still think Appleseed is his best work, with Float a close second.

Most of the copies of Appleseed out there are bootleg, as it was self-distributed. It's incredibly difficult to find an actual copy.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Shabaam Sahdeeq

I have nothing against Aesop or those artists, but they're very abstract. It's almost like you go to a poetry jam and someone has some beats playing in the background.

Now here's a cat who does it nicely

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Shabaam Sahdeeq

I have nothing against Aesop or those artists, but they're very abstract. It's almost like you go to a poetry jam and someone has some beats playing in the background.

Now here's a cat who does it nicely
Most definitely, they are an acquired taste. However, that is also somewhat of a stereotype, as many of these artists idolized the old-school battle rappers, and that shows up on many of their tracks. Even Aesop cuts a sick battle track every now and then.

In fact, Eyedea, one of my favourite artists, has the ability to switch from completely abstract-quasi-metaphysical rhymes to grimey battle rhymes on an album. He actually won the Blaze Battles.

Either way, I never understood the point of spending money/time to listen to somebody say nothing; which, when it boils down to it, most of the other hip-hop artists are.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Most definitely, they are an acquired taste. However, that is also somewhat of a stereotype, as many of these artists idolized the old-school battle rappers, and that shows up on many of their tracks. Even Aesop cuts a sick battle track every now and then.

In fact, Eyedea, one of my favourite artists, has the ability to switch from completely abstract-quasi-metaphysical rhymes to grimey battle rhymes on an album. He actually won the Blaze Battles.

Either way, I never understood the point of spending money/time to listen to somebody say nothing; which, when it boils down to it, most of the other hip-hop artists are.

What do you mean other hip hop artists? Please name some.

If you mean the guys with "Lil" at the beginning of their names, or "Souljah Boy" then indeed you are correct.

But to say "most other hiphop artists" other than the small faction of Eyedea, Anticon, Aesop and the other white guys ... well they are really just a small part of the game.

I would say that 10% of heads in the RAP game are mainstream and don't talk about anything other than clothes, money, cars, girls.

But HIPHOP extends far beyond the "underground". For example Common is pretty popular and very talented. How about Biggie, Jay Z, Nas? They are not hiphop but to deny their talent for the spoken word is blasphemy in the rap game!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

If you mean the guys with "Lil" at the beginning of their names, or "Souljah Boy" then indeed you are correct.

But to say "most other hiphop artists" other than the small faction of Eyedea, Anticon, Aesop and the other white guys ... well they are really just a small part of the game.

I would say that 10% of heads in the RAP game are mainstream and don't talk about anything other than clothes, money, cars, girls.

But HIPHOP extends far beyond the "underground". For example Common is pretty popular and very talented. How about Biggie, Jay Z, Nas? They are not hiphop but to deny their talent for the spoken word is blasphemy in the rap game!
Thanks for clarifying my tastes are in the minority, I wasn't aware of that.

Then call me blasphemous, because I don't listen to Jay-Z, Nas, and I don't put Notorious up on the pedestal that you seem to; he was a decent lyricist, not very technical, but good flow.

What is so awe-inspiring and/or novel about Jay-Z? The only track I truly appreciate of his is The Graveyard, w/ Big L. I'm sorry, but I get tired of hearing the same re-hash of the 'urban strife'.

I also think you're having trouble separating 'hip-hop' from 'rap'. I was using the term 'hip-hop' below to include even some artists people would consider 'underground'. However, I'd definitely include 99.9% of all rap in that category. Tell me something novel, a story, some allusion, something that shows you're appreciative of what you have. Jay-Z and Nas end up spitting out the same money, clothes, and "I'm going to kill you" garbage as the rest.

[nomedia="http://youtube.com/watch?v=bLLqx74CD1o"]YouTube - Jay-Z - Change Clothes: Unedited Version[/nomedia]

How insightful.

:rolleyes:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Also, I never characterized it as 'white guys', you did. I enjoy everything and anything that says 'something', black, white, or indifferent.

Either way, music isn't something to be argued and cajoled over; if you like it, and your music makes you feel good, listen to it, and pay no attention to what I or anybody else thinks. I'll do the same, and as you bump Jay-Z and I listen to Adeem we'll both be no worse for the wear.

And, given the thread title, I'm not sure what type of hip-hop listeners you expected to find in here?

:wave:

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
I have to say that some of those artists, such as: nas(illmatic), biggie(ready to die), and others like Gravediggaz primed me for the underground scene. What I mean by this is that I liked the story telling, and "realness" of their music, but then I was left thirsting for some more intellect...

I found this in Aesop Rock, Slug, Eyedea, Sage Francis, etc... It just so happened that a lot of the guys spitting "nerd" rap as people call it, were white, but I also listen to other people like P.O.S., Reef the Lost Cauze, Murs who are black.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Just checking if we had any heads on AM. I know Ubi and Swole210 are about it, by underground hip hop I mean:

Atmosphere
Brother Ali
Eyedea
J-Live
Reef the Lost Cauze
Aesop Rock
Cage
Cannibal Ox

etc., etc.,
Atmosphere is boring.

Brother Ali is insane.

Eyedea has a couple of decent songs but I aint feeling him as a song writer as much as I'm feeling him as a battle rapper.

J-Live meh.

Reef is ****ing tight. Lol.

Aesop Rock is a bunch of non-sense. Don't even get me started. All his fans are ****ing hippies. His style is like a kaleidoscope of words which mostly don't fall on beat. He makes some tight beats though.

Cage is cool.

Not feeling Cannibal Ox.

I've been waiting on the new Immortal Technique. The new Pharaoh is ILL. Right now I been listening to Vakill for a good minute.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Atmosphere is boring.

Brother Ali is insane.

Eyedea has a couple of decent songs but I aint feeling him as a song writer as much as I'm feeling him as a battle rapper.

J-Live meh.

Reef is ****ing tight. Lol.

Aesop Rock is a bunch of non-sense. Don't even get me started. All his fans are ****ing hippies. His style is like a kaleidoscope of words which mostly don't fall on beat. He makes some tight beats though.

Cage is cool.

Not feeling Cannibal Ox.

I've been waiting on the new Immortal Technique. The new Pharaoh is ILL. Right now I been listening to Vakill for a good minute.
lol, You have no ****ing idea what you're talking about.

To clarify, Eyedea is by far one of the best song writers in hip-hop; especially his Oliver Hart album.

Atmosphere isn't boring, and Ant is one of the best producers in the game.

If you can't understand Aesop's structure, you need to listen harder. I find that a common mistake of the untuned ear.

And J-Live is absolutely ridiculous.

Pharaoh sucks, Immortal has absolutely no flow whatsoever, and Vakill isn't the greatest. You seem like you're into the less technical, less-skilled hip-hop.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Atmosphere boring???

WOW there is a first time for everything I guess...

attaboy Mullet...could not have said it better myself.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
lol, You have no ****ing idea what you're talking about.

To clarify, Eyedea is by far one of the best song writers in hip-hop; especially his Oliver Hart album.

Atmosphere isn't boring, and Ant is one of the best producers in the game.

If you can't understand Aesop's structure, you need to listen harder. I find that a common mistake of the untuned ear.

And J-Live is absolutely ridiculous.

Pharaoh sucks, Immortal has absolutely no flow whatsoever, and Vakill isn't the greatest. You seem like you're into the less technical, less-skilled hip-hop.
I have no ****ing idea what I'm talking about? Yeah, like YOU can tell ME what I like. That makes a lot of sense. You need to understand that not EVERYONE will think LIKE YOU. Take a moment and ponder that.

To clarify, what I have heard from eyedea was lackluster and didn't warrant anymore attention from me to find anymore of his music to praise. I might have heard some of his weak songs, maybe. Or, I just don't like his delivery and his style along with his cadence, beat selection or any other of the various tenets that make a song what it is.

Atmosphere is boring. Sorry. Ant is a dope producer though.

And, lmfao at the Aesop Rock comment. Give it up, he himself has said that his songs HAVE NO STRUCTURE. They have NO SET MEANING. He describes his music as an experience that is different from one fan to the next. One fan will say it's about this and another will say it's about something else. It's abstract completely. Lol at the untuned ear comment. Get out of here. Who wants to go and tune their ear just to enjoy something? That's absurd. If you like Aesop on first listen, then good for you. If you are one of those people who forced yourself to like him because he is "sooooo deep underground omg omg omg"! then you are one of those people who enjoy being an outsider for the sake of it.

Pharaoh sucks? OMFG! Are you kidding me? I'm not going to try to argue that he is tight. I won't try and change your mind, because arguing about personal taste is futile. However, to say that he sucks is ridiculous. Maybe not your cup of tea, but he is definitely one of the better technically sound artists in hiphop period.

You're right about Immortal Technique. His flow is elementary. But, I like his music. I don't claim he is the best ever.. far from it. I enjoy his music though, I like the message. That is my perogative and disecting my opinion is not yours.

Vakill is not the greatest. Did I say he is? Or are you just assuming that because I said I've been listening to it for a while?

There is no such thing as the GREATEST. That type of thinking is for children who still idolize other men as their heros. I enjoy a variety of music outside of hiphop and subgenres within hiphop.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have no ****ing idea what I'm talking about? Yeah, like YOU can tell ME what I like. That makes a lot of sense. You need to understand that not EVERYONE will think LIKE YOU. Take a moment and ponder that.

To clarify, what I have heard from eyedea was lackluster and didn't warrant anymore attention from me to find anymore of his music to praise. I might have heard some of his weak songs, maybe. Or, I just don't like his delivery and his style along with his cadence, beat selection or any other of the various tenets that make a song what it is.

Atmosphere is boring. Sorry. Ant is a dope producer though.

And, lmfao at the Aesop Rock comment. Give it up, he himself has said that his songs HAVE NO STRUCTURE. They have NO SET MEANING. He describes his music as an experience that is different from one fan to the next. One fan will say it's about this and another will say it's about something else. It's abstract completely. Lol at the untuned ear comment. Get out of here. Who wants to go and tune their ear just to enjoy something? That's absurd. If you like Aesop on first listen, then good for you. If you are one of those people who forced yourself to like him because he is "sooooo deep underground omg omg omg"! then you are one of those people who enjoy being an outsider for the sake of it.

Pharaoh sucks? OMFG! Are you kidding me? I'm not going to try to argue that he is tight. I won't try and change your mind, because arguing about personal taste is futile. However, to say that he sucks is ridiculous. Maybe not your cup of tea, but he is definitely one of the better technically sound artists in hiphop period.

You're right about Immortal Technique. His flow is elementary. But, I like his music. I don't claim he is the best ever.. far from it. I enjoy his music though, I like the message. That is my perogative and disecting my opinion is not yours.

Vakill is not the greatest. Did I say he is? Or are you just assuming that because I said I've been listening to it for a while?

There is no such thing as the GREATEST. That type of thinking is for children who still idolize other men as their heros. I enjoy a variety of music outside of hiphop and subgenres within hiphop.
Are you going to be okay?

I am not sure what tracks you heard of Eyedea's, but lackluster isn't a word I would use to describe him.

Could you show me where Aesop says any of this? Maybe I missed it. He uses unconventional breaks in the beat, making the progression sound 'off'. Aside from that, almost any song has structure. Aesop writes his beats/lyrics to bar structure just like everybody else. If you can't hear it, you can't hear it, don't sweat it so much junior.

I didn't force anything; I appreciate the intricacy, technicality, and unconventional nature in his beats. He doesn't ride the jock of blase hip-hop, and I appreciate that as well.

In terms of Atmosphere being boring, that's just funny.

Pharoah does suck, and, like OMFG!, I'm like, totally serious.

You need to take your snide tone, 17 year old acronyms and cocky attitude and beat it.

EDIT:

And greatest was meant as a generality, son. Not literally as you took it. I.e., "not the greatest" stood in place of "not that great". Calm down.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Yeah.. I'm the one who started with the snide tone. Lol. Like I said, I can careless what your opinion is because you are so easily offended that someone doesn't love Aesop's nuts the way you do. Get over it. If everyone liked the same **** you did it would become mainstream and then you'd have to find yet another more ridiculous style to like because it's ohhh soooo intricate and ohhhh sooo unconventional.

Even if you were going to try to debate personal musical taste, which is futile like I said, you'd want to be a little more polite and a lot less condescending. Re-read your first response to me and tell me there isn't any cocky attitude or acronyms. Practice what you preach dude. ;)

Either way, music isn't something to be argued and cajoled over; if you like it, and your music makes you feel good, listen to it, and pay no attention to what I or anybody else thinks. I'll do the same, and as you bump Jay-Z and I listen to Adeem we'll both be no worse for the wear.
Change of mind all of a sudden?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah.. I'm the one who started with the snide tone. Lol. Like I said, I can careless what your opinion is because you are so easily offended that someone doesn't love Aesop's nuts the way you do. Get over it. If everyone liked the same **** you did it would become mainstream and then you'd have to find yet another more ridiculous style to like because it's ohhh soooo intricate and ohhhh sooo unconventional.

Even if you were going to try to debate personal musical taste, which is futile like I said, you'd want to be a little more polite and a lot less condescending. Re-read your first response to me and tell me there isn't any cocky attitude or acronyms. Practice what you preach dude. ;)
Listen, kiddo. You came in this thread, listing off your 'master opinion' on my favorite artists like some hip-hop guru. Instead of assuming that we all wanted to hear you 'lay down the law' on each artist, you could have contributed fruitfully.

And I didn't use any acronyms, sweetpea.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I dont know about all that.

Who do you think the best MC out of queensbridge is?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I think hiphop is all about what you relate to. If you can relate to what Eyedea or Aesop says, then listen to them. If your from a bad part of town and can relate to some of the grimy stuff, then listen to that. If you like to pop bottles in the clubs, maybe your thing is Lil Jon.

The most important thing is to be true to yourself. And thats the beauty of hiphop, you pick what fits you and listen to it.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
To quell some of the negativity from PoohBear coming into the thread:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fsHgiVRcj8"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
That was some of the most painfull sh*t I've ever watched.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
It's mostly the format. It just seems so obnoxious. I guess I just don't understand why he is talking like that, it seems retarded to me. What is the point to the way he is talking other than to seem cool and witty? I'm not saying the sh*t completely sucks, just saying it sucks to me.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's mostly the format. It just seems so obnoxious. I guess I just don't understand why he is talking like that, it seems retarded to me. What is the point to the way he is talking other than to seem cool and witty? I'm not saying the sh*t completely sucks, just saying it sucks to me.
He's maintaing a cadence to convey emotion. It's not for everybody, that's for sure. I wouldn't call it obnoxious at any rate, but that's your mellow, mang.

Diverse, "Jus Biz" from One AM. Prefuse 73 produced this track:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UhkQjucdyc"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Artifacts:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdwiTIFL2X0&feature=related"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Couldn't he convey emotion without maintaining a cadence? I think I would enjoy it much more if he were to not talk with such a ridiculous cadence, maybe tone it down a little?

I liked that Diverse song, but you know me I'm more into the grimy scene. Honestly I'm more into the beat, voice, flow, vibe, than I am the content. Content is important too, but more of a bonus to me.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
He could, there are poets who perform differently like Talib:

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=sGvZ9aXg5Xs"]YouTube - Talib Kweli - Def Poetry Jam[/ame]

But, I'm not sure if you'll like that either. It's just lyrical skill; there's no beat, so it's all about how and what they're saying.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
That was so much better. I respect/enjoy the content of rap or spoken word, but it's difficult for me to get past the bad delivery. Talib wasn't annoying at all and even flowed nicely. It's much easier for me to listen to what they have to say when I'm not being distracted by what I consider bad delivery.