Unable to squat because of back injury.

MedRat

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I need some help. Over the last year ive been building myself up after many years of no lifting. I damaged two discs. C5 in the neck and T1 between the shoulder blades, years ago.

Ive tried traditional squats, front squats. Ive tried with a dumbell or kettle bell. I need a chiropractor stat. Ever since Wednesday ive had snapping cracking popping in my neck and back. Along with the return of cervical radiculopathy.

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
I need some help. Over the last year ive been building myself up after many years of no lifting. I damaged two discs. C5 in the neck and T1 between the shoulder blades, years ago.

Ive tried traditional squats, front squats. Ive tried with a dumbell or kettle bell. I need a chiropractor stat. Ever since Wednesday ive had snapping cracking popping in my neck and back. Along with the return of cervical radiculopathy.
The last year or so I’ve had to cut out all forms of squats. A lot of it’s due to me getting older, wear and tear over the years and the fact I’m now natural doesn’t help.

I still do leg press and other leg machines. It’s no where near the same but it’s something and it makes me feel lil better about not skipping legs.

MedRat

Awards
  • First Up Vote
The last year or so I’ve had to cut out all forms of squats. A lot of it’s due to me getting older, wear and tear over the years and the fact I’m now natural doesn’t help.

I still do leg press and other leg machines. It’s no where near the same but it’s something and it makes me feel lil better about not skipping legs.
It isnt the same at all. It takes forever to load the leg press. Then I don't feel the workout as I do from squats.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
It isnt the same at all. It takes forever to load the leg press. Then I don't feel the workout as I do from squats.
Start doing belt squats...it will help with ur back problems but still let u work ur legs....check out the one from Spud Inc

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
Fix your back with glute ham raise and reverse glute ham raise. Lunges..and scissor squats with no weight. Think fitness for a few months. Ton of reps...no rest between sets. Dont do leg press or other follow any other bro tips.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Squat with bar only ...
This is what I’m doing. High reps, slowly been adding weight. Minimum of 20 reps but preferably 30 or more. Will be at 85lbs this week, no discomfort so far. Feels good to be squatting again.

jim2509

jim2509

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Use a Hex Bar with bumper plates or just bar if necessary.

OR

Use a belt and chain attached to cable machine.

Low

Low

Awards

Hold on there bro!!!!! Please reconsider going to your chiropractor. All I can say is I am 36 and just underwent L4 L5 lumbar microdisectomy to remove 35% of my disc in my back. Everytime i injured myself i would run to the chiropractor for help. I honestly believe i already had a small little fracture and i believe the adjustments made me worse.. that just my speculation but I would be careful!! They can be potentially making things worse! Especially if you already have issues!

MedRat

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I decided to forgo the chiropractor. I took some time away from anything that could damage my back. After everything reset I went to rack pulls, low rows, lat pulldowns, reverse flys, face pulls, and leg press.

Ive had to avoid type of squat. All of the above seem to be good alternatives. I can still deadlift. Ill return to them when I stop making gains with what im currently doing.

Low

Low

Awards
I decided to forgo the chiropractor. I took some time away from anything that could damage my back. After everything reset I went to rack pulls, low rows, lat pulldowns, reverse flys, face pulls, and leg press.

Ive had to avoid type of squat. All of the above seem to be good alternatives. I can still deadlift. Ill return to them when I stop making gains with what im currently doing.
Really glad to hear that! Take care of yourself!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am 60 years old and have a few problems squating, I have been doing them on the Smith machine with my feet further forward no back pain at all.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I had this same problem years ago. What I recommend is doing squats like a powerlifter, use a good belt, do low reps only at first. Squat every day or every other day. Reps of 3, going heavy, learning how to brace your lower back with your core, against your belt. Your back will love the low reps and training frequency. Strength will quickly rise, and back pain should be a thing of the past. A strong back is the best way to deal with an injured back. I would still do your regular PT though, dead bugs, core work, psoas stretching, etc. Oh, and bulgarian split squats can become a part of your routine now.