ULTIMA - CODENAME: THUNDER V2

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

The following will be my review of Omega Sports Ultima.

I received my package today and I will begin using it tomorrow.

As instructed in the included leaflet, I will be following the advanced dosing scheme of 1/2 serving 30 mins prior to workout and 1/2 serving intraworkout.

As per permission from Matt Palada I will (continue) to use 15g BCAA's pre/intra workout.

I have been using BCAA/Leucine/Beta-Alanine/Mono and will discontinue the Leucine, BA and Mono.

As well I have be using USPlabs Jacked at two scoops per day. I have recently begun to ween off of this to prepare to use ULTIMA. I have noticed the decline of energy from the reduction in preworkout Jacked and I imagine this will be a good test of the ULTIMA formula.

I will continue with one cup of black coffee upon waking and prior to my consumption of the first 1/2 of ULTIMA.

Additionally I train using a fasted state USPlabs stack of 2.5g of SuperSAP, 1g of SupperCissus, 1g of 1-C, 1 cap AP. This is followed by 400mg of P-Slin post workout. This will remain the same.

My expectations are not too unrealistic. I am looking for energy, focus and drive without the CNS burnout of excessive caffeine and other stimulants. As much as I love the benefits of improved performance that are associated with the likes the crash and subsequent sustained increased heart rate, BP as well as headaches and episodes of insomnia are no longer appreciated and are a detriment to my recovery and health and well being.

It will begin tomorrow.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looks like an interesting product. Good luck, brian. :)

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i am very interested in ur opinion on this! good luck

WittyName

WittyName

Awards
  • Established
Awesome, B. I am looking forward to your review. Its good to see Omega back. Enthusiastically Subbed.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Day one:

I worked legs today. I don't do much intense work on legs because of knee and back "challenges". Leg Press Machine, Ham Curls, Leg Extensions, Calf Raises.

I do my low intensity cardio prior to leg work. It allows me to get cardio that I would otherwise not do after legs as well as warm up my legs to jump right in and do some resistance work.

I mixed one serving of ULTIMA with 15g of BCAA. The flavor was just enough to fade the awful taste of the BCAA but not quite enough to wipe it out completely.

Upon consuming the first 1/2 I did not notice much. Upon consuming the second half during my workout I did begin to notice a bit more alertness and clarity. Nothing very energetic or stimulating but noticed the clarity.

I may drink more of the second half much earlier into my workout this next workout to see if I can benefit more by getting more into me a bit sooner.

Otherwise, that is all.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
good luck B. Gotta admit to being curious on this one

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
good luck with this b.
the profile of ultima looks awesome, although the price tag is steep.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh!

I neglected to mention that I did have a rather orange urination after my workout as well as one or more times so far in the day.

Additionally I am not experiencing the headache that I often experience.

Also wanted to mention that I noticed that one of the ingredients is 400mcg of selenium. This caught my eye because I recently had an a benign precancerous colon polyp removed. Selenium is being studied to see if it has benefits in inhibiting the recurrence of colon polyps/colon cancer and other cancers in general..

I recently ordered Now Brand selenium from the Planet. It is dosed at 200mcg per cap. Most recommendations I have seen have suggested a dose of 200mcg daily. Few have gone as high as 400mcg. There is concern that excessive intake of selenium can produce selenium over load and be toxic.

I will be refraining from taking any other supplemental selenium during this trial.

Matt, I was curious to know what were the thoughts and motives for including selenium in the formula and do you or your team have any research or data to support that decision?

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/selenium.asp
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19235033?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
some of the other testers seem to dose some of the powder sublingual. are you going to do this?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The label instructions state "For maximum absorption of ingredients, hold sips of ULTIMA under the tongue or between the gums and cheek for 20-30 seconds to allow for sublingual absorption of our pharmaceutical grade vitamins"

That is what I did.

The idea of sublingual power use is not a bad idea but I was asked to use it as directed on the label. I'll see what Matt has to say about it.

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
Some people were doing that with the powder for acute mental effects. YMMV.

As far as the selenium, it was hashed out a bit at BB.com...I will dig up the thread and post the jist of it here as soon as I find it.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
Oh!

I neglected to mention that I did have a rather orange urination after my workout as well as one or more times so far in the day.

Additionally I am not experiencing the headache that I often experience.

Also wanted to mention that I noticed that one of the ingredients is 400mcg of selenium. This caught my eye because I recently had an a benign precancerous colon polyp removed. Selenium is being studied to see if it has benefits in inhibiting the recurrence of colon polyps/colon cancer and other cancers in general..

I recently ordered Now Brand selenium from the Planet. It is dosed at 200mcg per cap. Most recommendations I have seen have suggested a dose of 200mcg daily. Few have gone as high as 400mcg. There is concern that excessive intake of selenium can produce selenium over load and be toxic.

I will be refraining from taking any other supplemental selenium during this trial.

Matt, I was curious to know what were the thoughts and motives for including selenium in the formula and do you or your team have any research or data to support that decision?

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/selenium.asp
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19235033?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum
Since Dinoii is one of the product formulators, it's most likely due to his ACES recommendations.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Day two.

Mixed my first 1/2 more concentrated (less water) and made a very conscious effort to swish in mouth for 20-30 seconds.

Started taking second half a bit earlier and on the way to the gym. Before the end of my workout I had a lot comer consumed that yesterday.

I did notice the same alertness and clarity but did not experience and increase in energy, performance or stamina during my resistance training.

I did notice that after 30 mins at level 15 and 3.5mph on the treadmill I was less drained than I have been in recent sessions.

Same orange glow to my urine.

That is all :)

dtrain13

dtrain13

Awards
  • Established
Same orange glow to my urine.
LOL...:D

Q: Why is my urination “neon yellow”?

A: Too much Mountain Dew I guess! Just kidding. It is due to the R5P, the active riboflavin. It's is a harmless side effect of large doses of this vitamin. One poster (Peter LeDrew) asked why such large doses? To this Is stated the following:

Orthomolecular is the thought process. And your correct, there are certain people that have deficiencies they're unaware of and can't be corrected with the non-coenzymated forms of the vitamins...meaning they lack the enzymes or the necessary amount. The dosing that is recommended is half and half. And yes, peeing out means you went to full use...and beyond...(and you're right zero side effects whatsoever)...so that's the point. Would you want... Non-ULTIMA? Close to the best? Kind of near maximized? The dosing in the beta may very well be tweaked depending on feedback, but at this point we're happy with what we accomplished here. And it is fine to ask questions. B-vitamins, coenzymated will change lives dramatically and Bruce Ames is right. The enzyme thing I mentioned is real. Much like pyridoxine competing with endogenous P5P and becoming toxic at higher doses through competition at the binding site. This is not the case when supplementing with P5P. Oh and the non-sublingual form (which the few companies that do P5P sell it in...can't think of any sublingual) are poorly absorbed...very poorly according to studies. So, boom...note with what you quoted how only R5P is stable in solution. P5P is in this and sublingual. Methylcobalamin over the cyanide based supplemental form...etc. Oh and the other ones...we've got plans. No worries. The B's are where it is at.

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
Brian,

The selenium discussion starts on this page if you are interested in the full dialogue as it gets quite length to copy/paste. And there is a lot of back and forth on it.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=249565661&highlight=selenium#post249565661

The 400mcg mark is being researched and as shown by the NIM is felt to be safe, higher dosing. The first study is done with radiation treatment and shows benefit with the 400mcg. dose. The second study showed no additional benefit with this pathology, but also showed no detriment either over the 200mcg mark. Some scientists are calling for testing for higher dosing at 800mcg. as shown below as, again, the upper limit mark is 1/8th of where toxicity actually probably occurs. The last study looks at 400mcg selenium (combined treatment) with athletes in regards to ROS, with no benefit...as far as an antioxidant. While study results are mixed, there's no question amongst any standard in medicine this dose is safe, further still this is product to be used on workout days, 3-4 a week...also taken in to account. Average intake when used by the label would be 200mcg. Personally, I will use this everyday and can not wait to. Often results are mixed because the studies are using a few nutrients that should work individually and again aren't looking to provide substrates, push enzymatic action/pathways...the approach and the results would be radically different.

Again, I am excited to get these kinds of questions so I can elucidate all the thought and testing that has gone in to it! Thank you.

Clin Chim Acta. 2006 Nov;373(1-2):92-8. Epub 2006 May 19. Links
Enzymatic and non-enzymatic antioxidant status in stage (III) human oral squamous cell carcinoma and treated with radical radio therapy: influence of selenium supplementation.

Elango N, Samuel S, Chinnakkannu P.
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Dr. ALM Post Graduate Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Madras, Taramani Campus, Chennai-600 113, India.
BACKGROUND: Oxidative stress is implicated in oral carcinogenesis and has been found to be aggravated during radiotherapy. A great deal of attention has been focused on the possible therapeutic implications of selenium as a potent antioxidant. We determined whether selenium supplementation to radiation treated oral cancer patients render improvement in the antioxidant status against oxidative stress. METHOD: Blood samples were collected from stage (III) oral cancer patients before initiating radiotherapy (Group B) (n=63) and this group is bifurcated into Group C-patients given radiotherapy alone (n=27) and Group D-patients given radiotherapy and supplemented with selenium (400 mug/day for 6 months) (n=36). Both Group C and D were followed up for 6 months. We evaluated the plasma selenium concentration, non-enzymatic system including GSH, vitamins E, C, A and ceruloplasmin and enzymatic antioxidant system including superoxide dismutase, catalase, glutathione peroxidase, glutathione reductase, glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase. RESULTS: The concentrations of selenium, all non-enzymatic antioxidants and the activities of enzymatic antioxidants were found to be lowered in oral cancer patients (Group B), compared to normal (Group A) (p<0.05). Similar decrease in the concentration of selenium and antioxidants status was observed in radiotherapy group (Group C) (p<0.05). On the contrary, selenium group (Group D) showed marked increase in the concentrations of selenium and antioxidant status at 6 months compared to radiation group (Group C) (p<0.05). CONCLUSION: The observed result represents the antioxidant property of selenium through the improvement of antioxidant defense system. Selenium supplementation could be of great interest in protecting cells against oxidative stress.
Nutr Cancer. 2008 Mar-Apr;60(2):155-63.Links
The nutritional prevention of cancer: 400 mcg per day selenium treatment.

Reid ME, Duffield-Lillico AJ, Slate E, Natarajan N, Turnbull B, Jacobs E, Combs GF Jr, Alberts DS, Clark LC, Marshall JR.
Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Elm & Carlton Streets, Buffalo, New York 14263, USA. [email protected]
Nonexperimental studies suggest that individuals with higher selenium (Se) status are at decreased risk of cancer. The Nutritional Prevention of Cancer (NPC) study randomized 1,312 high-risk dermatology patients to 200-mcg/day of Se in selenized yeast or a matched placebo; selenium supplementation decreased the risk of lung, colon, prostate, and total cancers but increased the risk of nonmelanoma skin cancer. In this article, we report on a small substudy in Macon, GA, which began in 1989 and randomized 424 patients to 400-mcg/day of Se or to matched placebo. The subjects from both arms had similar baseline Se levels to those treated by 200 mcg, and those treated with 400-mcg attained plasma Se levels much higher than subjects treated with 200 mcg. The 200-mcg/day Se treatment decreased total cancer incidence by a statistically significant 25%; however, 400-mcg/day of Se had no effect on total cancer incidence.

Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2008 Apr;21(2):148-54. Links
Critically elucidating the role of selenium.

Vincent JL, Forceville X.
Department of Intensive Care, Erasme Hospital, Universit? Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium. [email protected]
PURPOSE OF REVIEW: To assess the current role of selenium supplementation in critically ill patients. RECENT FINDINGS: Studies consistently demonstrate decreased selenium concentration in plasma and whole blood in some critically ill patients, especially those with septic shock, and have suggested that persistent low concentrations may be associated with worse outcomes. However, clinical trials of selenium administration have not consistently or convincingly demonstrated improved outcomes. SUMMARY: Despite the low selenium content in the body (20-40 mg), selenoenzymes play an important role in antioxidant defense in humans. Selenium administration may be associated with improved outcomes, but further studies are needed to determine the precise mechanism of action. Studies are also needed to determine optimal dosing regimens, and to identify those patients in whom this approach is likely to be most effective. Currently, doses below the tolerable upper intake level (400 microg) may be used in supplementation. Higher doses (up to the level of no adverse effect, 800 microg) may be of interest and need to be studied further. The pro-oxidant effects of selenocompounds, especially sodium selenite, which vary depending on the compound, dose, and concentration, also need to be assessed further for their toxicity and potential therapeutic use in patients with septic shock.
Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2005 Oct;15(5):480-92.Links
Exercise and mononuclear cell DNA damage: the effects of antioxidant supplementation.

Davison GW, Hughes CM, Bell RA.
School of Health Sciences, University of Ulster Jordanstown, Newtownabbey, Northern Ireland, UK.
The purpose of this investigation was to determine the effects of antioxidant supplementation on DNA damage following exercise. Fourteen subjects were randomly assigned to one of two groups and required to ingest either antioxidants (400 mg alpha-lipoic acid, 200 mg co-enzyme Q10, 12 mg manganese, 600 mg vitamin C, 800 mg N-acetyl cysteine, 400 microg selenium, and 400 IU alpha-tocopherol per day) or placebos for 7 d. Exercise increased DNA damage, PS, FRAP, and LDH (P < 0.05), but not selectively between groups. LDH and PS concentration decreased 1 h post-exercise (P < 0.05), while LH concentration decreased 1 h post-exercise in the antioxidant group only (P < 0.05). The antioxidant group had a higher concentration of LH (P < 0.05), perhaps due to a selective difference between groups post-exercise (P < 0.05). The main findings of this investigation demonstrate that exhaustive aerobic exercise induces DNA damage, while antioxidant supplementation does not protect against damage.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
subbed.goodluck brian!..btw,is this a new company on the forum?..if so..welcome!:)
slick.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Update!

Same experience of clarity, focus, alertness etc.

Here's the thing that I am finding - us stimulant junkies are used to a more immediate response. I am an early riser and training shortly after waking. I usually am at the gym within half an hour of waking. The idea of sipping and swishing slows the rate at which I ingest the product. Not to mention I'm only dosing half before I go to the gym.

At the gym, again, the sipping and swishing process is slow to ingest the product.

I am finding it to be effective, producing the mentioned response, but I am finding that I am experiencing the peak of the benefits at the end of my workout when I am concluding my cardio. I am challenged to find a way to get that response to come on just prior to entering the gym and beginning my training without either waking an hour earlier or training an hour later.

The issue is that the benefits and response are not as immediate as I am used to when it comes to a pre workout energy formulas or supplements that have a caffeine and or stimulant base. I am not slighting ULTIMA at all, as it is a very clean, side effect and crash free, focus and clarity formula and I have no complaint otherwise.

This is the first day of week two. I used it last week with the weekend off and will do the same this week and subsequent weeks to see if my initial findings change for the better or worse. I will also be considering the sublingual approach for the first 1/2 dose before I leave the house.

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
Try to do the powder straight in the mouth immediately upon waking and then try to sip the rest on the gym, being done with it when you arrive.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the follow-up. That will be the plan then. Thanks.

dtrain13

dtrain13

Awards
  • Established
I will also be considering the sublingual approach for the first 1/2 dose before I leave the house.
Do this. It makes a world of difference and the effects not only are more pronounced they also happen upon you quicker. My protocol is 1/2 teaspoon under the tongue/in the mouth etc. ~20-30 minutes pre workout and then 1/2 scoop sipped on from the beginning of my workout to ~ the middle of it and then I switch to water.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The sublingual dosing did produce a noticeably more rapid response. Aside from that, same as previously stated - clear, focused and alert. My energy and performance are unremarkable but the one noticeable change is that I still have plenty of stamina at the end of my cardio session. I am less winded at the same level. So I am hoping that I will be able to kick it up a bit for the next session.

dtrain13

dtrain13

Awards
  • Established
The sublingual dosing did produce a noticeably more rapid response. Aside from that, same as previously stated - clear, focused and alert. My energy and performance are unremarkable but the one noticeable change is that I still have plenty of stamina at the end of my cardio session. I am less winded at the same level. So I am hoping that I will be able to kick it up a bit for the next session.
Nice! Not to mention it taste like citrus candy. :D Be warned the ULTIMA drool with stain orange from the b vitamins. :D

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Today I again dosed half sublingually and followed up with the second half mixed in water with BCAA. I consumed most all of it upon the drive to the gym and the balance on the treadmill.

I did legs today. I fast walk the treadmill for 30 mins and followed that with my leg work. Again, same clarity, alertness and focus.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm sorry.

My training strength is nothing to boast about anymore. I am also finding my way using the DC training program which has me not making much progress as far as weight increases. This training style is very foreign to me.

I'll post up some numbers later as I have to get to a meeting.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Update.

I have not been feeling well the last few days. That combined with some moderate depression symptoms starting to surface from my unemployment situation I pretty well feel like shit.

"Who does depression hurt? Everyone. Where does depression hurt? Everywhere." is not just a commercial catch phrase. I'll get out of it. It just kinda hurts right now.

I'm sorry Matt for the delay in feedback. I'll catch up soon.

I have a job interview tomorrow :)

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
Good luck on the interview, B! I personally know how bad depression can be.

dtrain13

dtrain13

Awards
  • Established
Update.

I have not been feeling well the last few days. That combined with some moderate depression symptoms starting to surface from my unemployment situation I pretty well feel like shit.

"Who does depression hurt? Everyone. Where does depression hurt? Everywhere." is not just a commercial catch phrase. I'll get out of it. It just kinda hurts right now.

I'm sorry Matt for the delay in feedback. I'll catch up soon.

I have a job interview tomorrow :)
Good luck with the interview. The economy has taken its toll on me and my family. We were in some financial hardship and had to take some drastic measures as my wife's business began to fail. Now I'm just trying to hold on to my job. We've had numerous layoffs and just last week the stopped there 401k match. It sucks man, I know.

Nootropix

Awards
Wow solid product. Can't wait til this hits e-tailers.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Update:

I've still been under a bit of a patch of unwell and a mild depressive state. I wore my self out moving into DC training after a long run of consistent volume training without a break. It really taxed my system and set me back. Being unemployed for the last ten weeks has not been a boost to my morale. To add to that during that last 4 weeks period I ran my third bout of antibiotics in the last three or so months for recurring prostatitis symptoms.

This year AZ's pollen count is at record levels. I have had a really bad response this year. I used to pride my self in not having allergies but I am resolved to the fact that I have all the evidence to believe I do. When you wake up and you have sacks of water bags under your eyes and they are red and burning I believe you are having a allergic reaction. What makes matters worse is that this time of the year is a great time to sleep with the windows open because of the cool nights but the air is terrible to sleep in overnight.

Anyway enough of my drama. It goes without saying my body is in need of some R&R on multiple levels :)

I took off all of last week and started up again this Tuesday. It is no surprise that I am week and not very energetic.

This week I did dose the entire whole scoop sublingually, half at a time, roughly ten minutes apart. It is noticeably more efficient at promoting the effects.

I still have experienced the alertness and clarity and focus that I have but to be honest my energy and performance is sub par. I am afraid that I am a poor judge of ULTIMA's performance right now because of the multiple depressive mood and energy issues I am struggling with at the moment.

I am looking markedly better this morning from a visual perspective and slightly more cheerful but only mildly more energetic. I will continue to use ULTIMA on my workout days and hopefully provide some more helpful and beneficial feedback.

Thanks for your patience and understanding Matt

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
I dont care about the log, B; I just want you to get yourself better.

AFOX

Awards
I'm loving Ultima, and I have only used it twice. I'm going to take it in about an hour before my basketball game. Basketball at 250 pounds is just kicking my ass. Its the first time in years I have played, and a couple times down the court, and I'm dead. I'm hoping for a nice boost from the Ultima.
The two lifting workouts were just amazing. Focus/strength/pumps/ and endurance were through the roof, and I know the strength will just get better, when the creatine is fully saturated in my muscles.

87GNX

Awards
Can someone explain if Ultima with its trinitine creatine sits in water as you are working out wouldnt the creatine turn to waste or harmfull to the user

dtrain13

dtrain13

Awards
  • Established
Can someone explain if Ultima with its trinitine creatine sits in water as you are working out wouldnt the creatine turn to waste or harmfull to the user
No.