Tyr's log, get in here.

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
Doing that many sets pretty much IS cardio. You can't work at a high intensity for that long....modulating the intensity to the point you can sustain that becomes more and more aerobic.
I dont disagree. Thats why Sunday is loaded down so much.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am feeling lazy reading this thread !!

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
When I do the 1500 to 2000 repetition workout, I take the next day off.
You dont take days off. Days take a break from you. Youre like the AM Chuck Norris. Lol

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
So I've got some cool news. I recently built a 30ft long punching bag rack for my friend's MMA gym. In return for not sticking him with an outrageous price, he is allowing me to train there in the evenings. So from here on out, Cardio will be in the evenings. I am still going to hit the gym every morning, however; I talked with my Nutritionist friend (Dr.). I told him that i have some concerns as far as nutrition goes if i' am adding BJJ and Kickboxing to my daily routine. He agreed that I am going to have to adjust caloric intake, as well as eating times. So, naturally I proposed 1000-1200 Calories diet- with the same nutritious foods and supplementation as before. All calories must be consumed from 1230-1630. Spaced how I so choose.Either way, I am excited to get back into BJJ to say the least. I miss the addiction of it for sure.
So that is my big news this morning. The following was today's workout, which was fantastic. Although, I felt like a zombie waking up this morning. My soon to be two-year-old was up last night with a mild fever. 0300 came around quick!

• Deadlift
• 75% x 8 (Superset abs)
• 75% x 8
• 85% x 5
• 85% x 5
• 95% x 3+
• Traps (shrugs & cable shrugs, farm walk)
• 135lbs x20 (Super-set side extensions with a 45 plate & Viking pulls).
• 185lb x12
• 225lbs x 8+
• 225lbs x 8+
• 225lbs x 8+
• Upper Back ( incline rev. flies, weighted rows w/curved bar -chest height-Pull-ups w/assist)
• 135lbs x15
• 135 lbs x10
• 135 lbs x10
• 140lbs x 8+
• 140lbs x 8+
• Bent over rows (single arm)
• 55lbs x 12 (Super-set with hang cleans. 65%,75%,75%,80%,80%)
• 65lbs x 10
• 65lbs x 10
• 65lbs x 10
• 70lbs x 10+

P.S. hairygrandpa I did do the heavy bag today, for approx six minutes. Very good suggestion. My heart rate went from 130 to 160 almost instantly. Rest assured I will be doing that more often. Especially in the striking class.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Free Gym = Winning !!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
P.S. hairygrandpa I did do the heavy bag today, for approx six minutes. Very good suggestion. My heart rate went from 130 to 160 almost instantly. Rest assured I will be doing that more often. Especially in the striking class.
Glad you liked it.
6 minutes would kill me. I do 3x1 minute, 3-5 min pause.

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
Dont get me wrong. I definately had to stop a few times so i wouldnt puke all over it lol!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dont get me wrong. I definately had to stop a few times so i wouldnt puke all over it lol!
At the first round I throw in some kicks too -but later on I have trouble even punching, LOL.
I have to chose my opponents wisely, they have to go down before a minute is up. My best bet are petite women.

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
At the first round I throw in some kicks too -but later on I have trouble even punching, LOL.
I have to chose my opponents wisely, they have to go down before a minute is up. My best bet are petite women.
Hahahaha. Alot can happen in one minute

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
This morning and tomorrow morning i will not be going to the gym. In light of Veterans day here in the USA. Im going to visit the national cemetary here and talk with few brothers and put some flowers on their resting places. I will be going to MMA training tonight and tomorrow. So im not completely taking it off.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
This morning and tomorrow morning i will not be going to the gym. In light of Veterans day here in the USA. Im going to visit the national cemetary here and talk with few brothers and put some flowers on their resting places. I will be going to MMA training tonight and tomorrow. So im not completely taking it off.
Awesome!! Enjoy yourself Brother!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Respect !!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
LOL - you don't have to worry. Most fights are over in 2-3 punches anyway and your opponent likely doesn't even have the ability to hit the heavy bag in a flurry of flying fists for 1 minute straight. Besides, you wouldn't be throwing fists all out either.

You remind me of this video though....

[video=youtube;qSX0PCQXiO4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSX0PCQXiO4[/video]

Awesome James. Much respect.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Haven't had one in a while but this weekend I will have a shot of bourbon and two beers, and pour out the same for all my brothers that didnt come home.

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
Heres a quick update for you guys. I will add detail when i get home. I have not lifted weights on Friday,Saturday, Sunday.
However, all of those days i did go train at the MMA gym. Friday was jiu jitsu 1hr. & muy thai 1 hr.
Saturday was jiu jitsu 1 hr. & kickboxing 1 hr.
Sunday was open mat jiu jitsu live rolling 1 1/2 hrs.
Monday was jiu jitsu 1 hr in the morning followed by a 1 hr. In the gym. I will post up the workout in a few hours when i get home. I am getting plenty of cardio at the MMA gym. All of the kicking, punching, & roling are very good for cardio training.

S

SouthPawSD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Late to the party, but Im in to follow the progress and gains! Looks great brother keep it up!

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
As promised, here are the updates for the last few days. I've been out of town working, but i finally got home at a decent time and can type it all out on the desktop. (its a b*tch for me on the app)

This week's workouts are basically a repeat of last week's. The weight and reps are in a good range for me and to prevent any possible injury I decided not to up the weight nor the reps for this week. That decision had a lot to do with the MMA training every night. I put myself through a ton of abuse during that because i will go to jiu jitsu class, then stay for kickboxing and the mixed class. (Approx 3.5 hrs total) The bruising all over makes me super sore for that next morning's workout. Great cardio though! being as it is great cardio, I have eliminated the cardio segment of my morning workouts (i'm trying to heed some previous advice about doing too much).

Monday looked like this:
• Decline Bench 75% x 5
• 75% x 5
• 85% x 5
• 85% x 3
• 95% x 3+
• Biceps Cable [rope hammer grip]
• 70lbs x 40
• 80lbs x40
• 110lbsx40
• 130lbs x 25 +
• Triceps (pull downs-rope grip,over-head extensions, nose breakers)
• 70lbs x 40
• 80lbs x40
• 110lbsx40
• 130lbs x 25 +
• Chest (Dumbbell flies, Dumbbell incline, half moons)
• 55lbs x 20 (Weight reflects incline. Weight for flies/ 30lbs-45lbs)
• 55 lbs x 20
• 60lbs x 20
• 65 x 12
Tuesday:
• Deadlift
• 75% x 8 (Superset abs)
• 75% x 8
• 85% x 5
• 85% x 5
• 95% x 3+
• 185lb x12
• 225lbs x 8+
• 225lbs x 8+
• 225lbs x 8+
• Upper Back ( incline rev. flies, weighted rows w/curved bar -chest height-Pull-ups w/assist)
• 135lbs x15
• 135 lbs x10
• 135 lbs x10
• 140lbs x 8+
• 140lbs x 8+
• 65lbs x 10
• 65lbs x 10
• 65lbs x 10
• 70lbs x 10+
Tuesday Evening:
one hour jiu jitsu
one hour fifteen minutes of kickboxing
one hour fifteen minutes of Mixed

Wednesday:
• overhead press
• 75% x 8
• 75% x 5
• 75% x 5
• 85% x 3
• 95% x 1+
• Traps (shrugs and cable shrugs)135lbs x15
• 135lbs x15
• 135lbs x15
• 185lb x12
• 205lbs x 8+
• Shoulders (cable pulls, neck, face, overhead)
• 60lbs x15
• 60lbs x15
• 650lbs x15
• 70 lbs x10
• 70lbs x 8+
• Triceps (Pull downs-rev & fwrd/over-head extensions-ceiling & straight. Rope grip)
• 70lbs x 40
• 80lbs x40
• 110lbsx40
• 130lbs x 25 +
****some of this weight was reduced because the night before I got a few wicked bruises on my biceps and shoulders. They were seriously sore yesterday. Ice and heat rotating after workout.

Wednesday Evening:
One hour BJJ
One hour Boxing
One hour fifteen minutes no-gi BJJ

Today so far:

• Parallel Squats
• 75% x 8
• 75% x 5
• 75% x 5
• 85% x 3
• 95% x 1+
• Leg press
• Step ups weighted
• 135 x 12
• 135 x 12
• 135 x 12
• 135lbs x 10
• 135lbs x 10+
• Leg extensions-same set up as leg curls.
• Leg curls
• X20
• X20
• X15
• X10
• Calf raises
• x15 (Superset abs)
• x15
• x15
• x10
• x 8+
**** I think I may skip the Muythai tonight. My legs are tired! lol

Once again I apologize for such a late update.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
As promised, here are the updates for the last few days. I've been out of town working, but i finally got home at a decent time and can type it all out on the desktop. (its a b*tch for me on the app)

This week's workouts are basically a repeat of last week's. The weight and reps are in a good range for me and to prevent any possible injury I decided not to up the weight nor the reps for this week. That decision had a lot to do with the MMA training every night. I put myself through a ton of abuse during that because i will go to jiu jitsu class, then stay for kickboxing and the mixed class. (Approx 3.5 hrs total) The bruising all over makes me super sore for that next morning's workout. Great cardio though! being as it is great cardio, I have eliminated the cardio segment of my morning workouts (i'm trying to heed some previous advice about doing too much).

Monday looked like this:
• Decline Bench 75% x 5
• 75% x 5
• 85% x 5
• 85% x 3
• 95% x 3+
• 70lbs x 40
• 80lbs x40
• 110lbsx40
• 130lbs x 25 +
• 70lbs x 40
• 80lbs x40
• 110lbsx40
• 130lbs x 25 +
• Chest (Dumbbell flies, Dumbbell incline, half moons)
• 55lbs x 20 (Weight reflects incline. Weight for flies/ 30lbs-45lbs)
• 55 lbs x 20
• 60lbs x 20
• 65 x 12
Tuesday:
• Deadlift
• 75% x 8 (Superset abs)
• 75% x 8
• 85% x 5
• 85% x 5
• 95% x 3+
• 185lb x12
• 225lbs x 8+
• 225lbs x 8+
• 225lbs x 8+
• 135lbs x15
• 135 lbs x10
• 135 lbs x10
• 140lbs x 8+
• 140lbs x 8+
• 65lbs x 10
• 65lbs x 10
• 65lbs x 10
• 70lbs x 10+
Tuesday Evening:
one hour jiu jitsu
one hour fifteen minutes of kickboxing
one hour fifteen minutes of Mixed

Wednesday:
• overhead press
• 75% x 8
• 75% x 5
• 75% x 5
• 85% x 3
• 95% x 1+
• Traps (shrugs and cable shrugs)135lbs x15
• 135lbs x15
• 135lbs x15
• 185lb x12
• 205lbs x 8+
• Shoulders (cable pulls, neck, face, overhead)
• 60lbs x15
• 60lbs x15
• 650lbs x15
• 70 lbs x10
• 70lbs x 8+
• Triceps (Pull downs-rev & fwrd/over-head extensions-ceiling & straight. Rope grip)
• 70lbs x 40
• 80lbs x40
• 110lbsx40
• 130lbs x 25 +
****some of this weight was reduced because the night before I got a few wicked bruises on my biceps and shoulders. They were seriously sore yesterday. Ice and heat rotating after workout.

Wednesday Evening:
One hour BJJ
One hour Boxing
One hour fifteen minutes no-gi BJJ

Today so far:

• Parallel Squats
• 75% x 8
• 75% x 5
• 75% x 5
• 85% x 3
• 95% x 1+
• Leg press
• Step ups weighted
• 135 x 12
• 135 x 12
• 135 x 12
• 135lbs x 10
• 135lbs x 10+
• Leg curls
• X20
• X20
• X15
• X10
• Calf raises
• x15 (Superset abs)
• x15
• x15
• x10
• x 8+
**** I think I may skip the Muythai tonight. My legs are tired! lol

Once again I apologize for such a late update.
Wow. You are a machine brother!

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
Wow. You are a machine brother!
Thanks bro. Im just trying to put as much of myself in concrete so i can maintain this lifestyle. The MMA gym helps with that alot. Its addicting.

**** just got done with a BJJ class and MMA class. All went well (except my busted lip), but i need some calories for real. Im thinking a big protien shake is in my future.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks bro. Im just trying to put as much of myself in concrete so i can maintain this lifestyle. The MMA gym helps with that alot. Its addicting.

**** just got done with a BJJ class and MMA class. All went well (except my busted lip), but i need some calories for real. Im thinking a big protien shake is in my future.
Busted lip? Next time flex it before impact, it will break his fist. :)

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
I have the flu. There wont be updates for a hot minute

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

BJ class and protien shakes whats going on in here. Lol. Jk. Doing great brother, take care of that flu.

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
First day in a week where i havent felt like death. Im going to the doc today for a follow up to see if im gtg. Last thing i want is to make other people sick at the gym

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I hope you get the Go Ahead !!

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
Got cleared to get it!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Good News !

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
I forgot to to update this last week. My bad! So after the previous week or so of feeling like death, I decided to just go to the MMA gym in the evenings this past week in order to ease back into my rhythm. So here is what it looked like last week.
Monday: cleared by Doc.
Tuesday: BJJ for 1.5 hours and MMA for 1 hour
Wednesday: BJJ for 1.5 hours and 45 min break and another hour of BJJ
Thursday: BJJ for 1.5 hours and Muy Thai for an hour
Friday: slow easy run in the morning maybe 1.25 miles. I'm not sure how far exactly because it was around my neighborhood a few times.
Saturday and Sunday were off because Saturday was my son's 4th B-day party and Sunday i took him to the dirt track to watch some races.

This week will be an increase in cardio and a decrease in weights. Only because I'm in the new year fitness challenge and only 5lbs away from my goal.

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
update 04DEC2018

So last night i did 1.5 hours of BJJ. a good 30 minutes of that was live rolling. After that was 1 hour of MMA. I put in some great cardio last night night.
This morning, I went to the gym and started off with a moderate run for ten minutes. after i was warmed up and stretched.
• Decline Bench 75% x 5
sprint up the stairs
• 75% x 5
sprint up the stairs
• 85% x 5
sprint up the stairs
• 85% x 3
sprint up the stairs
• 95% x 3+
• 70lbs x 40
sprint up the stairs
• 80lbs x40
sprint up the stairs
• 110lbsx40
sprint up the stairs
• 130lbs x 25 +
• 70lbs x 40
sprint up the stairs
• 80lbs x40
sprint up the stairs
• 110lbsx40
sprint up the stairs
• 130lbs x 25 +
sprint up the stairs

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
also here is an updated picture. I got my replacement phone yesterday, so i can start taking pictures again ( i crush my lens on the last one).

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
I forgot to add the picture
20181204_061408.jpeg

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
Thanks bro.
That is a complex question to answer, if I am being truthful.
As far as fitness-wise, I feel really great. I also have realized that the better i get, the farther i can push it, so i know i can do more but I'm trying to slow down a little and play the chess game with it.
As far as walking around feeling, I am very HUNGRY. As soon as I get my bloods, I will be requesting a calorie increase.At least so i can space out the meals a little. If it weren't for Radiate TheMyth then i would have eaten everything in the house by now. Also Radiate saved me during Thanksgiving. My wife cooked for a few close friends we consider family and all of my favorite foods were right there waiting, calling, whispering my name. I immediately took a pill went outside for an hour to work on my bike and when I came back It wasn't so seductive.
I am sure by the end of January, or the middle of February, that I will be down to 225-230lbs.
I made a pact with myself though. Come Jan 1, I am going to a buffet to pig out, then jump back on the wagon again.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
When I get sick with a cold or flu,after I’am mentally and physically well I eat a large amount of healthy foods for 2 days,and drink plenty of water.

My first 7 days back exercising is body weight workouts and Moderate cardio. When one is coming off a cold or flu they tends to be very hungry. I don’t blame you about the buffet because you deserve it Brother!

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
I definitely understand that. Luckily, I feel roughly 1000X better than a week ago. Its almost like a second wind, but that 8 or so days robbed me of some valuable work and set me back a little. I am fairly surprised that I am down to 244lbs already.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Looking BIG !!

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
update 05DEC2018
last night was a short night at the gym. I trained 1.5 hours in MMA, working on the ground and pound game. Lots of live rolling and constant movement.
This morning I am SORE! My workout yesterday, I focused on arms and I ended up training hard grappling last night. So those two in the same day = pain the next day lol! I feel great today though. Weighed in at 243.2 lbs this morning and I feel light and agile.
This morning i did a quick recap on yesterday's workout without the sprints and kinda burned through the sets at a de-load.

workout this morning:
***below i mention sled pulls. This exercise is where i tie a ship line (rope) to the weight sled and pull it as fast as i can across the gym using my core and arms. If you're into strongman comps. the movement mirrors the truck pull technique. I put six 45 lbs plates on it, drag it down then drag it back.
• Deadlift
• 75% x 8 (Superset abs)
• 75% x 8
• 85% x 5
• 85% x 5
sled pull
• Traps (shrugs & cable shrugs)
• 135lbs x20 ( 45 plate & Viking pulls).
• 185lb x12
• 225lbs x 8+
sled pull
• Upper Back (incline rev. flies, weighted rows w/curved bar)
• 135lbs x15
• 135 lbs x10
• 135 lbs x10
• 140lbs x 8+
sled pull
• 55lbs x 12
• 65lbs x 10
• 65lbs x 10
• 65lbs x 10
• 70lbs x 10+
sled pull

My abs are very tight this morning. I imagine I will be so sore tomorrow that I wont be able to laugh at my goofy kids.

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
Update 06DEC2018
Good morning animals, monsters, and beasts. Today is a good day. Why?
I am only .8 lbs away from my goal weight for 01Jan2019.
Last night I had an amazing training session in BJJ. When I arrived home, the wife was doing yoga, so naturally, I joined in. Which prompted some extra cardio later, but that's neither here nor there.

This morning I am very sore. My abs and obliques are very tight. I knew that was going to happen. That soreness prompted me to start off with a brisk 8 minute row before the workout. A good warm-up no doubt. After I was done warming up I enjoyed the feeling so much I decided to incorporate it into the workout today.

You will notice that a backed off of the cardio a little today and focused on lifting this morning. I did this because I plan on riding my road bicycle a few miles this afternoon. After the warm up I re-touched on Deadlifts- which really helped to warm up and stretch my back and thighs.
***Also I am trying a new thing by adding an extra few reps on the last set. So I can mentally train as well.

• Parallel Squats
• 75% x 8
• 75% x 5
• 75% x 8

• Leg press
row fast paced with all resistance 3 min.

• Step ups weighted
• 135 x 12
• 135 x 12
• 135 x 15

• Leg curls
• X20
• X20
• X15
• X20
row fast paced 5 min.

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
Also here a pic from today

Last edited:
James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
Idk why it wouldnt let me add a picture before. Sorry if it double posts.
20181206_063107.jpeg
20181206_063115.jpeg

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
Great Job Bro! Looking Good!
Thanks bro. Im slowly trying to climb to your level. Straight Pain Train! Lol

Bad thing is, I have spent a small fortune on clothes the last few months. My workout shorts dont even want to stay on while tied. Good problems to have though.

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
Great Job Bro! Looking Good!

Bad thing is, I have spent a small fortune on clothes the last few months. My workout shorts dont even want to stay on while tied. Good problems to have though

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Im in. Tagged in the 4th post and somehow didnt see it lol. Great job on the weight loss. I havent read through the whole thread yet and dont have time to. You still doing the minimal calorie thing? I could literally NEVER do that lol. Thankfully ive never really needed to either though. Saw something about mma and bjj. I used to train that stuff and crossfit simultaneously every day and loved it. Too expensive nowadays though with all my kids so i stick to weights.

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
Im in. Tagged in the 4th post and somehow didnt see it lol. Great job on the weight loss. I havent read through the whole thread yet and dont have time to. You still doing the minimal calorie thing? I could literally NEVER do that lol. Thankfully ive never really needed to either though. Saw something about mma and bjj. I used to train that stuff and crossfit simultaneously every day and loved it. Too expensive nowadays though with all my kids so i stick to weights.
Thank you. It has been hard with the diet, but the leaner i get the more calories go up at 4-6 week intervals. The only exception is if im stalling within a certian weight zone. If thats the case, believe or not, i pig out one day with sugars/carbs and immediately diet again. For some reason it sling shots me down past the stall zone.

MMA and BJJ is very expensive, but my friend owns a gym and i built him a badass 30ft bag rack, so he lets me train for free. Provided I take on the handy man role and fix things around the gym (nobody there have the knowledge to do that). Ive been in the construction game for a while, then went to school for welding. I had no idea that it would pay off like this. It is addicting though. I love training there. Its like learning how to play a very complex chess game. That, plus my morning workouts have really put me into a new routine that is easy to follow. Thanks for jumping in man.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

Bad thing is, I have spent a small fortune on clothes the last few months. My workout shorts dont even want to stay on while tied. Good problems to have though.
I haven’t purchase new clothing for 2 years now.

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
How? You're still cutting down right? To reach your 100 lbs lifegoal?

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
You must have a closet full of elastic waist pants, so the smaller you get the shrink with.