Training for strength

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Anyone able to recommend a good routine for gaining maximal strength without size. My goals have changed and I'd like to maintain a lower body weight without being weaker than a kitten.

Renegade2302

Awards
Well..I would first set up a good periodized mesocycle with daily undulating periodization.
I´d suggest starting up with a higher reprange and progress in relative intensity meaning approaching your one rep max from microcycle to microcycle, speaking in a time period of around 4 weeks. I would up the estimated 1RM by feel, but of course i would always make sure to maintain my numbers and relative strength. Once u reach something like 80% of your estimated one rep max so 5 proper reps with a certain weight i would really try to max out at this point by adding more and more sets as I pyramid down in the weight as the sets of one certain exercise progress.
For example
I would start up with
Week 1
70% x 10
65% x 10
65% x 10
60% x 12
Week 2
75% x 8
70% x 8
70% x 8
65% x 10
Week 3
80% x 5
75% x 5
75% x 5
70% x 8
Week 4
Increase 1rm by 5%
Add Set
75% x 8
70% x 8
70% x 8
70% x 8
65% x 10
Week 5
80% x 5
75% x 5
75% x 5
75% x 5
70% x 8
Week 6
85% x 3
80% x 4
80% x 4
80% x 4
75% x 5
Week 7
Up 1RM again
Add another set
80% x 5
75% x 5
75% x 5
75% x 5
75% x 5
70% x 8
Proceed with scheme

Once u finish by 90 in your first set deload and start all over again but change the cadence.
Meaning Paused or changing Rep Speeds

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I like 5/3/1 but @Hyde is way more knowledgeable so maybe he go into further detail

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Keep your working volume low and your accessories focused on maintaining health & balance, or rather heavy and strength focused.

I would NOT do periodization with lighter weights at higher volumes - that’s how you hypertrophy muscles. Your training efforts should be focused around heavy work, technical work at modest volumes, and things like very heavy rows, bodyweight lunges, light back extensions, bracing/abdominal exercises, 100 rep sets of isolations to flush blood into tendons and recover faster. Avoid things like 3 hard sets of 8-12 we know work very well for bodybuilding.

Think things like the Westside Conjugate methods with Max Effort & Dynamic Effort days but lower accessory volume, stuff from Brooks Kubik’s Dinosaur Training, 5/3/1 with the right template & accessory choices. Many weightlifting programs that have you work up to daily maxes in the snatch or clean & jerk followed by some heavy accessories could give you an idea.

Train heavy & control total volume.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Oh nice I didn't expect so much input here. Thanks Renegade I've used a similar routine as you mention but it lends more to muscle gain. Gaining muscle comes fairly easy for me as a mesomorph but I'm one of those guys who looks stronger than they are.

Hyde, thanks for your input man I'll definitely look into the mentioned methods. I've dabbled in strength specific routines over a decade ago when I was unsure of my goals and found my progress much slower than with hypertrophy geared training.. Would you say there's a slower progression to improve muscle recruitment/ movement efficiency or does this depend on the individual.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Oh nice I didn't expect so much input here. Thanks Renegade I've used a similar routine as you mention but it lends more to muscle gain. Gaining muscle comes fairly easy for me as a mesomorph but I'm one of those guys who looks stronger than they are.

Hyde, thanks for your input man I'll definitely look into the mentioned methods. I've dabbled in strength specific routines over a decade ago when I was unsure of my goals and found my progress much slower than with hypertrophy geared training.. Would you say there's a slower progression to improve muscle recruitment/ movement efficiency or does this depend on the individual.
I think it does definitely depend. Just like you have genetics for hypertrophy response, your genetics partially determine the ability to adapt/alter your neurology - we all learn at different paces, as they say. As well as genes for muscle fiber type. But you can’t change genetics so ignore them and focus on what you have control over.

Things like frequency of exposure to lifts you wish to develop, focus/intent when you are doing them (quality over quantity, 5 perfect reps will vastly improve performance over time vs 25 lazy ones), intelligent programming that moves you forward without overtraining you, supplementation that can enhance learning & focus like AlphaGPC, creatine mono, noopept, caffeine, l-tyrosine.

In general, strength without new size/leverage is a slower endeavor. Other than taking steroids that specifically drive up neurology, which is the most dramatic means but inherently temporary (you can’t just take Tren forever, and if you could it wouldn’t keep improving you more and more neurologically without using more and more, but you would die eventually lol).

If you see it as an art and a hobby, and can be satisfied with gaining a rep here, 5lbs there, like a true weightlifter, you will be happy.