boxing and strength training

Viking18

Awards
So i use alot of time on boxing i love it, i usually do boxing 2-4 times a week, and a fullbody workout 2-3 times a week. Somedays both. Im at 88 kg and 15%, i actually dont eat alot i tend not to need much food to keep my weight :) so 2-3 meals day with veggies meat carbs.

Fullbody is the following:
A: Squat 3x5-8
Bench 3x5-8
Row 3x5-8
Curls/tricep 2x15

B: Deadlift 3x5-8
Military press 3x5-8
pullups 3x5-8
lateral raise leg raise 2x15

Boxing day 30-45 minutes of bag, shadowboxing, sparring from time to time, but mostly bag and shadow.

what you guys think? i hope to end up lean and mean at 80-85 kg someday.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm contemplating getting back into boxing as well - cardio level needs improvement. What are your goals? Add mass?

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've been curious to include boxing as well, so tagging along to see what others have to say

Asteele08

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was boxing/kickboxing for a good year and a half and went on to do a triathlon with my pops with something like 50 days notice and little time to train. Best shape of my life.

What worked well for me was just using boxing as my warmup but hitting it hard. I was going to the UFC gym (formerly LA Boxing) so they had classes often enough where I could join the last 30 minutes of one, then lift heavy with my friend, and sometimes jump back into another session.
I followed his lifting schedule, so we'd lift 3-5 days and id get around 4-7 sessions in a week.
Your split doesn't look bad, but im not a huge fan of full body workouts. Feels like my 3rd and 4th lifts aren't as intense after boxing. If you're in the gym often, there's PHAT and a push/pull/legs split that could be beneficial. Just remember to eat, boxing burns a lot of calories so it can be easy to under eat, which can burn you out but also make you look worse (due to your body going into starvation mode).

I'd suggest worrying less about your weight while boxing, eat enough and well and the fat will melt off as you pack on mass.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
After a 4 year layoff from muay thai training, I started krav maga again last month and finish with 30 min of boxing with one of the other instructors. So 2 hrs total. This is on Mon and Wed and I use Tue and Thur for full body strength training.

I can say that strength training is definitely being impacted as I am generally walking around sore all the time and continual striking is affecting my knees and elbows. However, my body is starting to adapt again because 2-3RM weight is getting near what it was a couple months ago and cardio is highly improved. I've added 500-1000 cal to keep up bw.

Once the adaption period is near over, I think boxing/kickboxing or any highly intense cardio workout is a fantastic addition to weight training.

I went to a spin class with some couple friends on Sat and everyone thought I would struggle because I look packed with muscle mass and I smoked all of them. Higher average RPM and total distance and was ready to hit some weights after. Not much makes you feel healthier than good cardio.

Asteele08

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's awesome! Glad to see the full body conditioning helping out with cardio besides the Krav Maga.
does the gym you go to also have weights and/or machines? Mine did, so it made a lot of sense for me to focus on my weak points on the days I wasn't lifting after boxing, but keep pushing on my squats, back, and arms after a hard boxing sesh since they weren't as important to me (always had bigger legs than upper body).

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We focus on a lot of bw work and will utilize medicine balls and kettle bells. We start with 30 min of HIIT that can be keep away with a 30lb medicine ball, bag work, ground and pound right into burpees, etc.. Very little actual weight work. So my focus in the gym now that I can squeeze in a 3rd day is two heavy days and 1 hypertrophy. My body is acclimating so the 2nd heavy day is possible.