Training 5 days straight?

VtaperXO

Awards
I'm currently doing this workout:
Upper - Lower - Rest - Push - Pull- Legs
My training volume is about 14-16 sets for back, chest, shoulders and quads, for arms , hamstring and calves about 10-12 sets.
The thing is my gym is not opening on Saturdays anymore, I can do a leg workout in my home but I can't do too much cause I don't have enough plates.
Can I train five days straight with this workout?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I've done p-p-l routines 5-6 days a week for years. Some weeks you might need to skip a day to get some extra recovery but overall, I'm all for a 5 day routine like this

VtaperXO

Awards
I've done p-p-l routines 5-6 days a week for years. Some weeks you might need to skip a day to get some extra recovery but overall, I'm all for a 5 day routine like this
Did you personally have some recovery issue training five days in a row?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've trained for 5-6 days in a row pretty much for the last 30 years. Days in the gym mean far less than what you are doing with your time there. If you are constantly progressive overloading then you need more rest, but you can still go in on deloads and accessory days.

I don't understand your break down of "lower" vs legs or "upper" vs push/pull.

VtaperXO

Awards
I've trained for 5-6 days in a row pretty much for the last 30 years. Days in the gym mean far less than what you are doing with your time there. If you are constantly progressive overloading then you need more rest, but you can still go in on deloads and accessory days.

I don't understand your break down of "lower" vs legs or "upper" vs push/pull.
When I was bulking I had a program working out six days a week in a row and I didn't feel good my lifts started to stall even eating a lot of food, also I wasn't feeling my pump while working out, I think I was overtraining. It's a hybrid routine mixing upper body - lower body with PPL.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Did you personally have some recovery issue training five days in a row?
Not really, but sometimes IL do this routine + boxing at Night so like 4-5 days a week IL be doing double sessions and that definitely burned me out.

Overtraing is harder then ppl think. You gotta really beat yourself up before it happens given your eating enough to keep up with the demand

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
When I was bulking I had a program working out six days a week in a row and I didn't feel good my lifts started to stall even eating a lot of food, also I wasn't feeling my pump while working out, I think I was overtraining. It's a hybrid routine mixing upper body - lower body with PPL.
Sounds like you weren’t deloading and/or your diet wasn’t good. Just because you’re bulking doesn’t mean you can just eat what you want. You have to eat quality food and lots of it tailored to your macro breakdown between p/c/f.

VtaperXO

Awards
Not really, but sometimes IL do this routine + boxing at Night so like 4-5 days a week IL be doing double sessions and that definitely burned me out.

Overtraing is harder then ppl think. You gotta really beat yourself up before it happens given your eating enough to keep up with the demand
I see, I'm doing cardio first thing in the morning 3-4 times a week with this workout in the evenings. I've been feeling normal training that way having a rest day in the middle, but I'd like to do it five days straight cause owner gym has decided not opening on Saturdays anymore 💀💀

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I see, I'm doing cardio first thing in the morning 3-4 times a week with this workout in the evenings. I've been feeling normal training that way having a rest day in the middle, but I'd like to do it five days straight cause owner gym has decided not opening on Saturdays anymore 💀💀
Well, do 5 days a week for as long as you can. If yiu start to feel beat up then either take a few days off or deload for a week and continue.

No1 here can tell you weather or not you gonna overtrain. You gotta go grind until you learn yiur limits

VtaperXO

Awards
Sounds like you weren’t deloading and/or your diet wasn’t good. Just because you’re bulking doesn’t mean you can just eat what you want. You have to eat quality food and lots of it tailored to your macro breakdown between p/c/f.
In terms of diet It was good without eating processed food, I mean a normal bulking diet around 0,8 gr of protein per pound based on steak, chicken, lentils, oats, rice, eggs and so on. I usually deload every 12 weeks sometimes a little more

VtaperXO

Awards
Well, do 5 days a week for as long as you can. If yiu start to feel beat up then either take a few days off or deload for a week and continue.

No1 here can tell you weather or not you gonna overtrain. You gotta go grind until you learn yiur limits
Alrighty, I'll try training from Monday to Friday bro, thanks for your time

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Also, going back to what I originally said, the level of effort associated with any program is going to dictate the outcome. Unless you are on gear, you can't continually progress without deloads and rest. We don't know what you are doing outside of the PPL hybrid you mention, but what volume and % max effort does that entail. Lot's of variables we don't know, and like Smont said, we can't really say what you are capable of and it is true- actual over training is very hard to do and is often mistaken for over reaching.

VtaperXO

Awards
Also, going back to what I originally said, the level of effort associated with any program is going to dictate the outcome. Unless you are on gear, you can't continually progress without deloads and rest. We don't know what you are doing outside of the PPL hybrid you mention, but what volume and % max effort does that entail. Lot's of variables we don't know, and like Smont said, we can't really say what you are capable of and it is true- actual over training is very hard to do and is often mistaken for over reaching.
I understand, also there's a psychological factor when you're trying to progress at compound exercises at least in my case especially on bench press. My volume as I posted above is about 10-16 set per muscle,about effort and intensity I reach failure on compound exercises but not in every set of course but always close failure. This year I'm being aware about intensity and that quality of set is better than quantity. But as you said overtraining is not that easy to reach, thanks for your answer and time bro

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
No one can give a definite answer for your individual response to this, but theoretically with certain things taken into account this really should not be an issue.

I would say that my one caveat based on your information depends on if that is number of sets per body part per session or over the week. If that is per session you probably need to cut those numbers down a little bit, unless that counts sets that aren't particularly hard, your overall set intensity isn't very high, etc.

You could also just start your workout week on Sunday and end on Friday that would fit you in 6 days if the gym is only closed on Saturdays (if this is possible for you).

VtaperXO

Awards
No one can give a definite answer for your individual response to this, but theoretically with certain things taken into account this really should not be an issue.

I would say that my one caveat based on your information depends on if that is number of sets per body part per session or over the week. If that is per session you probably need to cut those numbers down a little bit, unless that counts sets that aren't particularly hard, your overall set intensity isn't very high, etc.

You could also just start your workout week on Sunday and end on Friday that would fit you in 6 days if the gym is only closed on Saturdays (if this is possible for you).
Sorry I wasn't clear at all, the number of sets is per week not per session, I'd do that but they are closed both on Saturdays and Sundays, 😔

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
No bullshit, I find I'm much more likely to overtrain on cycle then when natty or on trt.

When on a cycle my strength goes up, my muscular Endurance gets better and everything in-between so I might normal do a exercise for say 3x6 with 315, but I go on cycle and that 3x6 might turn into 4x10-12. All the extra sets and reps add up.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
In terms of diet It was good without eating processed food, I mean a normal bulking diet around 0,8 gr of protein per pound based on steak, chicken, lentils, oats, rice, eggs and so on. I usually deload every 12 weeks sometimes a little more
Did you mean 0.8 grams per pound? If so you may want to bump that up. Usually on bulking diets up to 1.5 grams per pound of body weight is recommended. Also depending on your age and such I’d prob reload a little sooner but like @Smont said you have to be the judge of that. Just listen to your body.

VtaperXO

Awards
No bullshit, I find I'm much more likely to overtrain on cycle then when natty or on trt.

When on a cycle my strength goes up, my muscular Endurance gets better and everything in-between so I might normal do a exercise for say 3x6 with 315, but I go on cycle and that 3x6 might turn into 4x10-12. All the extra sets and reps add up.
It makes sense, due to the fact that you're able to add more effective sets without decrease intensity.

VtaperXO

Awards
Did you mean 0.8 grams per pound? If so you may want to bump that up. Usually on bulking diets up to 1.5 grams per pound of body weight is recommended. Also depending on your age and such I’d prob reload a little sooner but like @Smont said you have to be the judge of that. Just listen to your body.
Bro💀 1,5 gr per pound is a lot, do you want me to consume 300gr of protein? 💀. I mean research says that 2gr per kg of bodyweight is enough, that's about 0.8-1gr per pound, why 1,5?

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Bro 1,5 gr per pound is a lot, do you want me to consume 300gr of protein? . I mean research says that 2gr per kg of bodyweight is enough, that's about 0.8-1gr per pound, why 1,5?
I eat 240 grams currently and I’m cutting right now. I currently weight 225, down from 237 and I’m shooting for somewhere between 215 - 220 based on how I look and feel. You need protein to build muscle. 1 gram per pound of body weight is minimum. Also you need to remember you’re not figuring up your daily protein limits on your current weight. You base it on the weight you want to be. Also keep in mind if you’re gaining too much fat in your bulk you need to either adjust your calories or stop the bulk.

VtaperXO

Awards
I eat 240 grams currently and I’m cutting right now. I currently weight 225, down from 237 and I’m shooting for somewhere between 215 - 220 based on how I look and feel. You need protein to build muscle. 1 gram per pound of body weight is minimum. Also you need to remember you’re not figuring up your daily protein limits on your current weight. You base it on the weight you want to be. Also keep in mind if you’re gaining too much fat in your bulk you need to either adjust your calories or stop the bulk.
You're currently eating less than 1,1 g of protein per pound, not 1,5 per pound bro.
225x1.1= 247,5gr .
If It's 1,5gr you'd be eating 337,5 g of protein.
That's what I'm saying.

VtaperXO

Awards
I've found the CO2 tolerance test helpful for determining whether I need to take an extra recovery day, I usually do 5 days per week pretty close to your schedule. I can usually also just feel it if I've gone hard 3 days in a row and need to take the next day off.
Interesting, how do you exactly determine when you need recovery doing this test?

VtaperXO

Awards
Scroll down a bit on here to read about it https://www.theathletetribe.com/understanding-co2-tolerance-how-to-train/

Basically measures present nervous system stress. It's a rough estimate and there's a significant margin of error but if you do it every morning close to when you wake up you can start to get a sense of nervous system recovery - which is somewhat different from muscle recovery but is important to be aware of, as it as a significant effect on strength output and time to fatigue. Or at least that's my understanding. I'm usually around 50 seconds for the test result, if I get below 30 I consider resting that day.
I'll definitely take a look to try it bro.
Thanks for the info

Dick-Hertz

Dick-Hertz

Awards
Never believed in over-training. (As spewed by "experts").
Just need to know when to take a day, rest...

People mainly under-eat and under-sleep (recovery)..

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You're currently eating less than 1,1 g of protein per pound, not 1,5 per pound bro.
225x1.1= 247,5gr .
If It's 1,5gr you'd be eating 337,5 g of protein.
That's what I'm saying.
You’re not understanding what I’m saying. You’re bulking. You need to eat closer to 1.5 grams per pound of body weight you want to be. I’m cutting so I’m down less than that but I’m still over the lowest recommended dose of protein of 1 gram per pound. Do you understand what I’m saying now?

VtaperXO

Awards
Never believed in over-training. (As spewed by "experts").
Just need to know when to take a day, rest...

People mainly under-eat and under-sleep (recovery)..
"Expert" and "optimal" people in this industry is overcomplicating everything, I agree.

Last edited:

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You’re not understanding what I’m saying. You’re bulking. You need to eat closer to 1.5 grams per pound of body weight you want to be. I’m cutting so I’m down less than that but I’m still over the lowest recommended dose of protein of 1 gram per pound. Do you understand what I’m saying now?
Honestly most recommendations tend to be to keep protein constant between conditions, if anything it is generally encouraged to increase Protein in a caloric deficit (for various reasons). The only time it is usually ever recommended to lower Protein in a cut is if you are at the very very end stages and literally have nowhere else to go with calorie decreases (as usual though there are always outlier situations).

VtaperXO

Awards
So do you really consume 350gr of protein while bulking? In fact, the vast majority of people consume more protein in cutting than bulking for satiation, in bulking you have to gradually increase the intake as you're getting bigger, but it's the first time I read 1,5g of protein per pound, what do you think @Smont ?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So do you really consume 350gr of protein while bulking? In fact, the vast majority of people consume more protein in cutting than bulking for satiation, in bulking you have to gradually increase the intake as you're getting bigger, but it's the first time I read 1,5g of protein per pound, what do you think @Smont ?
Be glad you weren't around when it seemed 2g per pound was the going recommendation. That was a rough period of time. :oops:

.8-1g per pound is fine.

VtaperXO

Awards
Honestly most recommendations tend to be to keep protein constant between conditions, if anything it is generally encouraged to increase Protein in a caloric deficit (for various reasons). The only time it is usually ever recommended to lower Protein in a cut is if you are at the very very end stages and literally have nowhere else to go with calorie decreases (as usual though there are always outlier situations).
I agree, people tend to consume more protein in weight loss, people tend to Lower the intake when they're ending the cutting and have to eat like 1700kcal which is very difficult to reach without removing some protein

VtaperXO

Awards
Be glad you weren't around when it seemed 2g per pound was the going recommendation. That was a rough period of time. :oops:

.8-1g per pound is fine.
Tf 😳 the maximum I've read is 2,50gr per kg that's about 1.2gr / pound

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have trained 6 days a week for years, if your nutrition and sleep on on track you should be fine. If you feel like you need an extra day to recuperate take it. (just don't make it a habit)

VtaperXO

Awards
I have trained 6 days a week for years, if your nutrition and sleep on on track you should be fine. If you feel like you need an extra day to recuperate take it. (just don't make it a habit)
Six days straight bro? Or having a rest day in the middle?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Six days straight bro? Or having a rest day in the middle?
Six days straight and in the winter I will hit some cardio on day 7, summer time I just mow grass !!

VtaperXO

Awards
Six days straight and in the winter I will hit some cardio on day 7, summer time I just mow grass !!
Great dude, I've been training 5 days straight since 2 weeks, cardio every other day first thing in the morning

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Great dude, I've been training 5 days straight since 2 weeks, cardio every other day first thing in the morning
Fasted Cardio is A Great Way To Start The Day !! Well Sorta >>>>

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The required amounts of protein have been an argued factor for many years. The reality is that if protein is lower but carbs are much higher the anabolism signal from the carbs and insulin will increase growth as long as protein and training is sufficient. Some people do better with different macro levels. Anywhere between .8-1.5 is going to cause plenty of growth if carbs and insulin are taken into consideration. I target 1g/lb but go a little over that most days.

VtaperXO

Awards
The required amounts of protein have been an argued factor for many years. The reality is that if protein is lower but carbs are much higher the anabolism signal from the carbs and insulin will increase growth as long as protein and training is sufficient. Some people do better with different macro levels. Anywhere between .8-1.5 is going to cause plenty of growth if carbs and insulin are taken into consideration. I target 1g/lb but go a little over that most days.
I think so, I started to target .8/lb and now I try 1g/lb, if it's hard getting that amount of protein I can't imagine how people do to consume more than 1,5g /lb

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think so, I started to target .8/lb and now I try 1g/lb, if it's hard getting that amount of protein I can't imagine how people do to consume more than 1,5g /lb
It is not hard at all if you don't mind using a couple of shakes too, or eat more easily digested forms of protein. For example ground meats are easier to digest than a whole cut of meat. Fish and Eggs are going to clear your gut much faster. a LARGE BOWL OF WHITE FISH AND RICE WITH SOME GOOD SEASONING IS GOING TO GO DOWN SUPER EASY AND DIGEST VERY QUICKLY. (Whoops accidental caps lock.)