Torn acl and meniscus

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The day after Thanksgiving I was playing bball with my daughter. I came down from a simple layup and my knee popped out sideways. I hit the ground rolling, already knowing exactly what happened..
Mri showed torn acl and meniscus along with arthritis...
The surgeon recommended pt for a month and go from there.. I haven't called to schedule yet. The knee is still swollen all the way down to my foot. The pain is still at probably a 8 from 1-10..
With the pain and extreme lack of movement, is there much that the pt can do?
Other than ibuprofen and aleve, is there any rx pain pills that could help?
I'm getting desperate here for pain relief.. Walking is slow and painful.

I'm also dealing with a torn rotator cuff on the same left side.

Haven't been able to do any kind of workout since Thanksgiving..

Depression hasn't set in yet, but I could see it actually hitting me..

Working out and riding my mountain bike are my only hobbies and now I can't do either..

I'm turning 50 in a few weeks. Was really hoping to be in better shape on my birthday..

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'd use injectable bpc 157 to heal faster. not sure if it has long term effects on arthritis, but it would give temporary releif I think.

and you can get it from a doctor Rx but it's expensive

otherwise Ricky got me looking into microdosing HGH. could be a good idea too

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
crutches are a must. use them until the swelling goes down. then go to PT. you will be amazed if it works, and a good PT would know and tell you if it wasn't going to.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'd use injectable bpc 157 to heal faster. not sure if it has long term effects on arthritis, but it would give temporary releif I think.

and you can get it from a doctor Rx but it's expensive

otherwise Ricky got me looking into microdosing HGH. could be a good idea too
I've used bpc a few times in the past. It's been hit or miss for me.. I guess I can try it again.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
crutches are a must. use them until the swelling goes down. then go to PT. you will be amazed if it works, and a good PT would know and tell you if it wasn't going to.
I have crutches at home, but the industry I work in kind of prohibits me from using them here at work.. Management would question my ability to perform my job & send me home.. I've been lucky because my supervisor has put me in good job locations this past month. He doesn't even know about my knee.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I've used bpc a few times in the past. It's been hit or miss for me.. I guess I can try it again.
make sure to inject near the injury. idk if your case would be better to IM or subq. I'd probably pull on the skin of the knee and do subq. I guess this might technically be under the subq layer but above the muscle. not sure what else to call it tho

Last edited:
enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Started bpc 250mcg 2x a day today. Pinched the skin on the inner knee (knee caps are like leather) and pinned it. I thought I had extra Tb-500 too, but only 2 vials. Not enough to run with bpc..

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Started bpc 250mcg 2x a day today. Pinched the skin on the inner knee (knee caps are like leather) and pinned it. I thought I had extra Tb-500 too, but only 2 vials. Not enough to run with bpc..
2 vials of tb-500? 5mg? cant you stretch that for a month? my first tb-500 + bpc 157 was only one month of tb-500 which was good enough to heal my feet up

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
2 vials of tb-500? 5mg? cant you stretch that for a month? my first tb-500 + bpc 157 was only one month of tb-500 which was good enough to heal my feet up
This is something I had saved in my notes regarding Tb-500 dosing.

3ml bac water mixed with 2mg tb.
Dose of 7.66mg per week ÷7 shots
77th tick mark on 100 unit syringe

Maybe that's not accurate dosing. Its been a while. Not sure that would last very long.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
This is something I had saved in my notes regarding Tb-500 dosing.

3ml bac water mixed with 2mg tb.
Dose of 7.66mg per week ÷7 shots
77th tick mark on 100 unit syringe

Maybe that's not accurate dosing. Its been a while. Not sure that would last very long.
ah ya 2mg vials are kinda small. I did 6ml water with a 15mg vial. the doctor recommended doing two 10 unit injections a day and using 31 gauge needles to make it less painful. I'm not really sure how long to notice a difference with tb-500 cuz I was on bpc157 already for a month when I did it. (6ml @ 20 units a day lasts a month)

I have a 5mg vial I'm gonna do eventually but not sure how I'm gonna dillute it. probably just 3ml water and do a slightly lower dose.

Last edited:
big_jewels

big_jewels

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To go with the BPC-157 and TB-500.
Look into pentosan polysulfate injections, there is a lot of promising data.
AOD9604 and hyluronic acid is another avenue to do an intra-articular shot with if you can get a Dr. to inject you with it via ultrasound as I wouldn't recommend doing that at home.
All the best in recovery. Cheers !

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The day after Thanksgiving I was playing bball with my daughter. I came down from a simple layup and my knee popped out sideways. I hit the ground rolling, already knowing exactly what happened..
Mri showed torn acl and meniscus along with arthritis...
The surgeon recommended pt for a month and go from there.. I haven't called to schedule yet. The knee is still swollen all the way down to my foot. The pain is still at probably a 8 from 1-10..
Other than ibuprofen and aleve, is there any rx pain pills that could help?
I'm getting desperate here for pain relief.. Walking is slow and painful.

I'm also dealing with a torn rotator cuff on the same left side.

Haven't been able to do any kind of workout since Thanksgiving..

Depression hasn't set in yet, but I could see it actually hitting me..

Working out and riding my mountain bike are my only hobbies and now I can't do either..

I'm turning 50 in a few weeks. Was really hoping to be in better shape on my birthday..
Going to be honest with you bro….my wife works in the medical field. She told me that insurance companies require dr’s to recommend PT before surgery. PT probably won’t help if you’re in the pain you’re in and the amount of swelling you have. A friend of mine just had ACL and meniscus surgery two days before Christmas. He had a cadaver tendon used to replace his ACL. He’s doing real well 6 days out from surgery.

Last edited:
Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Going to be honest with you bro….my wife works in the medical field. She told me that insurance companies require dr’s to recommend PT before surgery. PT probably won’t help if you’re in the pain you’re in and the amount of seedling you have. A friend of mine just had ACL and meniscus surgery two days before Christmas. He had a cadaver tendon used to replace his ACL. He’s doing real well 6 days out from surgery.
Doesnt using a cadaver tendon run the risk of auto immune issues?

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Going to be honest with you bro….my wife works in the medical field. She told me that insurance companies require dr’s to recommend PT before surgery. PT probably won’t help if you’re in the pain you’re in and the amount of seedling you have. A friend of mine just had ACL and meniscus surgery two days before Christmas. He had a cadaver tendon used to replace his ACL. He’s doing real well 6 days out from surgery.
Thanks dude. I start pt on Monday.

robshef

Awards
  • First Up Vote
To go with the BPC-157 and TB-500.
Look into pentosan polysulfate injections, there is a lot of promising data.
AOD9604 and hyluronic acid is another avenue to do an intra-articular shot with if you can get a Dr. to inject you with it via ultrasound as I wouldn't recommend doing that at home.
All the best in recovery. Cheers !
Read a little on pentosan this summer. Seemed like an amazing substance for joints, evidence it can help with cartilage regeneration and alleviate osteoarthritis. For knees, I understood it would be administered intra-articular. I could only see it being available via equine or veterinary sources. Anyone else have any experience with it?

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Welp, surgery it is.. I can't walk up and down stairs, and unfortunately for me, that's in my job description.. I can no longer do my job and am now a liability...

So, I also need rotator cuff surgery. That surgeon thinks I could be off crutches in 4 weeks and on the table for my shoulder..

I specifically stated that I get 6 months of short term disability. Not 6.5 months or 6 months and 1 day. After 6 months, I go on long term disability and am no longer guaranteed a job..

He still thinks I could be back to work within that time frame..

This is where I'm looking for past experiences and/or advice..

I'm currently stocking up on more bpc-157 to help with the recovery. I'm thinking of also getting a bunch of cissus.

Anybody have any pointers on what to expect from the knee surgery??

I've already had 1 shoulder surgery.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Meniscus surgery isn’t that bad. I was stalking that same day. The ACL I have not done. That one may take longer to heal from. Shoulder you said you have had done and that one sucks.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
never had the surgerys but I would probably get some tb-500 too. otherwise I also use Helios 100 (circumin) and injectable glutathione for healing.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
never had the surgerys but I would probably get some tb-500 too. otherwise I also use Helios 100 (circumin) and injectable glutathione for healing.
If I were in that situation, I'd be looking into all of those, myself.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Looking into the Helios!!
it's definitely the least intrusive of all of them. it's also a cancer preventive, which is what I worry about with regeneration peptides. you can get them buy one get one free when they have sales. just sign up for their email list

big_jewels

big_jewels

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Welp, surgery it is.. I can't walk up and down stairs, and unfortunately for me, that's in my job description.. I can no longer do my job and am now a liability...

So, I also need rotator cuff surgery. That surgeon thinks I could be off crutches in 4 weeks and on the table for my shoulder..

I specifically stated that I get 6 months of short term disability. Not 6.5 months or 6 months and 1 day. After 6 months, I go on long term disability and am no longer guaranteed a job..

He still thinks I could be back to work within that time frame..

This is where I'm looking for past experiences and/or advice..

I'm currently stocking up on more bpc-157 to help with the recovery. I'm thinking of also getting a bunch of cissus.

Anybody have any pointers on what to expect from the knee surgery??

I've already had 1 shoulder surgery.
Sorry to hear bruv.
cissus is great stuff, also take some extra collagen, vitamin k and d3 also show an ability to help with fibrolasts.

For the meniscus the surgeon usually only decides once they are operating whether they will cut it out or they will mend it, so it's a toss up of what the outcome could be. If its mended, you have a better chance at recovery to pre-injury ability, and less likely hood of going arthritic or needing a knee replacement down the line, 3-6 month recovery. A lot of icing post surgery and a check up to see it its holding then the pt after care requirements.

If it's cut out, then you'll recover faster and you may gain a lot of function back, but this method also enhances your chances of getting arthritis and needing a knee replacement down the line. 3-6 week recovery. and similar other from above.

All the best to you !

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
-No, you have to wait for swelling to go down. Ice, ice and more ice. Get a cryo cuff now and use it / you will need one for when you get the ACL fixed. Stay off the leg and keep it elevated. You cannot move this forward unless the inflammation is down.
-You don't need an ACL to "workout" and mountain bike. Workout meaning squats, lunges, deadlifts. Everyone at 50 has menicus tears. No big deal unless its a complex tear. Get the ACL fixed and the meniscus cleaned up. Until then, get the inflammation down (or you cannot flex and extend the knee), get back on the bike (seat higher to start with) and walk and slowly introduce working out. I am 54 year powerlifter and have squatted huge weights for years without an ACL and have had numerous knee surgeries (none related to powerlifting).
You got this solider.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
One of the main reasons that I have to get it fixed is because of my work. I'm required to walk up & down stairs and climb ladders.. If I can't do those safely, I'm a liability.
This injury happened the day after Thanksgiving. Swelling is all but gone, but I still struggle with regular walking. Riding a bike hurts - bad..
If I don't wear my brace, it wants to flop backwards..

Question; after the surgery, I know I'll be on crutches for roughly a month. Will walking be painful after that?
After crutches, how soon can I ride the exercise bike? I need to drop weight bad.. I'm thinking that the bike will be the easiest cardio.

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
One of the main reasons that I have to get it fixed is because of my work. I'm required to walk up & down stairs and climb ladders.. If I can't do those safely, I'm a liability.
This injury happened the day after Thanksgiving. Swelling is all but gone, but I still struggle with regular walking. Riding a bike hurts - bad..
If I don't wear my brace, it wants to flop backwards..

Question; after the surgery, I know I'll be on crutches for roughly a month. Will walking be painful after that?
After crutches, how soon can I ride the exercise bike? I need to drop weight bad.. I'm thinking that the bike will be the easiest cardio.
Walking won't be painful after a month and you will use a moveable brace for a while anyhow. And probably want to use that brace at work (and such). I have always been a heavy guy and it seems that surgery recovery (I have had a bunch of orthapedic surgeries) burns a heck of allot of calories and or raises the metabolic rate. If you eat clean (you will have the time to do so), you could easily drop some bodyfat and come out of the first 8 weeks down a solid 8lbs. You will back on a stationary bike in 3 weeks and be able to bike for 20 minutes a day by the end 4.5 weeks for sure. Not to mention a ton of other exercises you will be doing.

The flopping backwards at this point is common. Where that brace (when your not rehabbing) so you don't further chop up the meniscus. The joint is very weak and the muscles and tendons around confused and unable to properly support the area. The first thing is to (slowly) get range of motion back into the joint. And the best way to do this is with a (stationary) bike where you can raise the seat to accommodate the initial limited range of motion and slowly (over a few weeks) lower the seat as you get more time on the bike. Ham sting curls and leg extensions and (dual leg) calf raises with no weight are great. Once you get 3/4 range of motion, add a body squat to a chair (just touch the chair) with your ass way back and knees open wide. Work up to very controlled reps. Then hop on the outdoor bike and slowly move forward. Its may be a while before your surgery. Your goal: you want to go into that surgery stronger than you were (as strong as possible) before the injury.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Surgery done! I didn't get to talk to the surgeon afterwards. He talked to my wife.. He said something along the lines that he couldn't fix both meniscus tears.. Not sure what happened there.. He said it's very arthritic and that a full replacement is not far off...
20220217_133111.jpeg

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Serious question here..

How am I going to sit on the toilet?

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
@Renew1 thanks for the reply bro.. Thankfully, I haven't had to go yet. I actually googled it and I sent my wife to Walgreens for an elevated toilet seat with handrails..
Screenshot_20220217-163023_Chrome.jpeg

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Torn ACL before: its a long way down to the toilet the first few times, but hopefully you have a bathroom that you can stretch the leg out. Good luck brother and sorry to hear about the surgeons post surgery report. Whatever the case, the knee will be much better than it was before surgery. And if you did not have knee pain (that was too bad) before the surgery, then it will be a few years before you need knee replacement! Its based on pain. So do the re-hab to a T. Any questions or motivation, please comment.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Torn ACL before: its a long way down to the toilet the first few times, but hopefully you have a bathroom that you can stretch the leg out. Good luck brother and sorry to hear about the surgeons post surgery report. Whatever the case, the knee will be much better than it was before surgery. And if you did not have knee pain (that was too bad) before the surgery, then it will be a few years before you need knee replacement! Its based on pain. So do the re-hab to a T. Any questions or motivation, please comment.
Thanks! My wife got that elevated toilet seat with handles, so i should be ok. I'll definitely let you know if I have any questions.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
how’s your recovery coming along?
Hey dude, sorry for the late reply, it's been a crazy 2 weeks with the kids school activities!

Recovery is going well. Slow, but well.

I actually made a huge milestone yesterday! I made one full rotation with my leg on the exercise bike!! I'm 7 weeks post op. I've been without both crutches and the brace for almost a month.

I went the 1st week on pain meds, which had me so constipated that I never had a bowel movement until I finally drank some magnesium citrate with a stool softener. Lol. During this time, I was also restricting calories, trying to drop weight.

My wife had to drive me around the 1st 4 weeks. Both of us were going crazy. She's not a morning person, so she had to get the kids up and to school. I'm a busy body and was couch-ridden!

I normally consider myself fairly upbeat and unbreakable. I'm not gonna lie.. I found myself getting down/depressed from not being able to do anything.. I spent 1 week just sitting around drinking and feeling bad about my situation.. Worried about recovery and finances..

My mobility has gotten better each day and that's helped me mentally as well. I finally went to the gym for the first time since June of last year! I'm also dealing with a torn rotator cuff so I have to work around that..

My physical therapist asked me how the gym went. I told him I skipped leg day. He was cracking up! Lol.

I've found some old pics and have saved them on my phone to remind me of where I was and what I will be again.

Screenshot_20220407-190623_Amazon%20Photos.jpeg
Screenshot_20220119-145422_Instagram.jpeg

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Your doing awesome! You will come out of this stronger, faster and better.
Had shoulder surgery about 3 months ago and doing well now - light push ups and tons of band work in every direction. Squatted today with a real bar and the shoulder worked better than I expected in that top position.

Make sure to keep us posted brother!

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks y'all!! It's definitely a process!

I need cardio more now than ever!! Beach season is upon us!

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks for asking dude! Getting better every day!! Right after Easter weekend, I was able to start getting some extended rides on the exercise bike at the gym. Since then, I'm trying to get three 60 minutes rides a week, with pt on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
I'm starting to get some leg presses in and have worked up to 60 lbs with my single leg.
There's still remnants of the blood clot they found the week after surgery, so I'm on blood thinners for another 3 months.
The area on my outer/lower leg is still numb. Doc says I may get feeling back..

Headed to the beach tomorrow morning!!

ana123

Awards
Good to hear you have been making progress. I am just going to add my two cents. For those peptides to really work on the knee then you need to inject into the joint. If you inject into the skin then the peptide is going to circulate all around your body before maybe getting into the knee capsule. Much of the meniscus has no direct blood flow so if you really (anybody reading this) want to get it to help heal the meniscus then it needs to be in the joint.

If you get a stem cell or PRP shot they put in the joint not outside the joint.

Anyways I've had a couple of tears and although I thought about it quite a bit I didn't get surgery as all the studies sounded kind of grim. It was a couple of months of limping around for me and then getting close to 6 months before I felt pretty good. Now it feels pretty good not perfect but I do every thing I want. Snowboard, jump, run whatever.

But some people have good results with surgery like this:

Had my left knee done back around 1994. No big deal. They did it Arthroscopic. Just a couple of very small cuts. Crutches for a couple of weeks, a cane for a couple of more, then a knee brace for about a month or two. Was off work maybe 6 weeks. haven't had any problems out of it since.
The worst part was being stuck in the house for about a month.
And others do not:

Had my right knee done 21 years ago. Off work one month. About a year later I thought I had hurt my knee again. Went back to the surgeon had a x ray he said it was arthritis very common after surgery.
Those were taken from here.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't doubt that injecting directly into the joint would help.. I ain't gonna lie, that sounds painfully scary!! Even with a slin pin..
For me, because of my line of work, surgery was that absolute only option.. I was unable to walk down stairs. I'm almost 4 months post op & still working on the stairs.. It's definitely not an easy recovery, but it is improving each week.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ok, changing things up a bit.. I'm also dealing with a torn rotator cuff. Did that about a month before I tore the knee. Surgery on the shoulder is not an option for at least another year or so because of work.
I have a ton of bpc-157. My knee has been surgically repaired. With therapy, it will get better. My shoulder needs attention.
If you had an abundance of bpc, where exactly would you be injecting it for a rotator cuff injury?