Topic of the Week: What prevents you from reaching your goals?

M

MrTate18

Awards
Pizza ! Lol disciple in general. I don’t have a sweet tooth at all but diet gets me all the time. I can’t pass up on foods I love, when they are in front of me.
That's my problem too. As soon as I start a diet I think of all the food I'm missing out on and end up caving in.

A

ARrepublic123

Awards
I’m currently battling a rare stage 4 lymphoma type of cancer and it’s been holding me back. There are day I get a “semi decent” workout in but no where near what I use to do. I’ve tried to push passed it. What helped me was my girlfriend. She motivated me to push through the pain and aches. Unfortunately recently left me and it’s like the motivation left as well. I’m going to war with this cancer and I can’t even prepare for it. Guess I just need to believe in myself again.

A

ARrepublic123

Awards
I’m currently battling a rare stage 4 lymphoma type of cancer and it’s been holding me back. There are day I get a “semi decent” workout in but no where near what I use to do. I’ve tried to push passed it. What helped me was my girlfriend. She motivated me to push through the pain and aches. Unfortunately recently left me and it’s like the motivation left as well. I’m going to war with this cancer and I can’t even prepare for it. Guess I just need to believe in myself again.

A

ARrepublic123

Awards

RCrown2

RCrown2

Awards
I'm very disciplined when it comes to working out. Even with kids driving me crazy, I need to have my exercise every day for mental and physical health. I made sure to have a good home gym setup for this reason and bring my kids out with me so they will hopefully grow up seeing their dad living a healthy lifestyle.

Also very strict with what I put in my body and cook all of my meals with whole food. Lots of veggies and quality meat. My biggest issue is not eating enough. My goal is to gain strength/weight. I'm 5'10 and 140lbs now and would like to see myself up to at least 165 or 170. I have some crazy fear of getting fat like I was back in the high school days. No matter how much I read about the amount of food needed to gain weight, I am sure I feel like I still have too much.

Anyway, as dumb as it might sound, I know what's holding me back the most, but have trouble just doing less (i.e. working out too much) and eating more. I've started to get a little better about taking in more calories, but still have more to go. Thanks for letting me get it out here with everyone else sharing their roadblocks.

C

costelum

Awards
  • First Up Vote
my ocd is nr1 factor that stop me to be a real bodybuilder

Mr.Burns

Mr.Burns

Awards
The two things keeping me from reaching my goals are a lack of consistent programming and sufficient food intake. One day I’m on Rippetoe’s deal and I’m making some progress then I decide maybe I should jump on some high volume program. The root cause of that issue is discipline, really.

Numero dos is I just flat out don’t eat with the frequency and caloric volume necessary to pack on as much muscle as I would like. I’ve tried cramming 5500 calories in three square meals a day and also meeting protein requirements, which for me should be about 360g, but I never ride that train for long enough to see results because it’s miserable.

I usually run this entire insane cycle for about six months, make some ok progress, then give up for a month or two before I convince myself that next time it’ll be different, which it never is.

Getting honest hurts.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The two things keeping me from reaching my goals are a lack of consistent programming and sufficient food intake. One day I’m on Rippetoe’s deal and I’m making some progress then I decide maybe I should jump on some high volume program. The root cause of that issue is discipline, really.

Numero dos is I just flat out don’t eat with the frequency and caloric volume necessary to pack on as much muscle as I would like. I’ve tried cramming 5500 calories in three square meals a day and also meeting protein requirements, which for me should be about 360g, but I never ride that train for long enough to see results because it’s miserable.

I usually run this entire insane cycle for about six months, make some ok progress, then give up for a month or two before I convince myself that next time it’ll be different, which it never is.

Getting honest hurts.
Stop taking large amounts of time off - that is easily the cardinal sin compared to under-eating or not having a dedicated training style. You can get stronger without getting bigger, and you can make progress by consistently doing different things if you train hard enough even (to a degree), but you need to show up consistently. There should never be a period you’re out of the gym longer than 1 week unless a doctor has ordered you to do so. Otherwise, there is always something you can do.

If you are serious about it I mean. I get life happens and priorities shift, but I don’t know anyone who has made any progress by not showing up for weeks at a time.

Mr.Burns

Mr.Burns

Awards
Stop taking large amounts of time off - that is easily the cardinal sin compared to under-eating or not having a dedicated training style. You can get stronger without getting bigger, and you can make progress by consistently doing different things if you train hard enough even (to a degree), but you need to show up consistently. There should never be a period you’re out of the gym longer than 1 week unless a doctor has ordered you to do so. Otherwise, there is always something you can do.

If you are serious about it I mean. I get life happens and priorities shift, but I don’t know anyone who has made any progress by not showing up for weeks at a time.
Oh 100%. I was just being really hard on myself and maybe exaggerating a little bit. I did take almost a month off but that was after almost 8 months straight without any time off and my left shoulder felt like it was on fire all of the time.

You’re spot on though man. Consistent work despite inconsistent programming will always deliver something because work is work, even if the diet isn’t dialed in.

Shep_Zaide

Shep_Zaide

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Mostly work and life schedule. I wouldn’t say it prevents me from reaching goals but definitely makes it difficult. But just have to adapt and overcome. Just got a new job making more money and better hours so that helps in that department, as for the life part well that’s all willpower to not eat that pizza or not go out for beers... which I’m pretty good at and usually reserve for my cheat day.

Par Deus

Par Deus

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I was gonna say, "the jews", but then I read that someone has stage 4 lymphoma and is still getting it done, so I will say, I get bored and lose focus, too easily. Or, get too focused on something other than the goal. Plus, the violence inherent in the system.

M

Marco402

Awards
My problem is my work schedule. I have a long drive to and from work so by the time I get home I feel like I hit a wall. I don’t want to stim up for a workout because I will have issues sleeping. Now that the sunnier weather is here it’s gotten better but still not where I want to be. I’m trying to do more workouts during the weekend to use the week for rest days to make it easier. Also I get lazy in my diet because it’s easy to grab garbage rather than take a few extra minutes to prepare something.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
My problem is my work schedule. I have a long drive to and from work so by the time I get home I feel like I hit a wall. I don’t want to stim up for a workout because I will have issues sleeping. Now that the sunnier weather is here it’s gotten better but still not where I want to be. I’m trying to do more workouts during the weekend to use the week for rest days to make it easier. Also I get lazy in my diet because it’s easy to grab garbage rather than take a few extra minutes to prepare something.
Pack your stims to have for the ride home so you aren’t so tired after work - they only have to get you to the gym after all. Then hopefully they’re still at least 5 hours from bedtime.

M

Marco402

Awards
Pack your stims to have for the ride home so you aren’t so tired after work - they only have to get you to the gym after all. Then hopefully they’re still at least 5 hours from bedtime.
I’ll have to give that a try. Thanks

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That is what I do. Pre workout when I leave work. get home in about an hour. change, do my get home crap and hit the gym. If 9:30pm rolls around i'm still awake I will drop some ZMA and 10mg of melatonin.
I am blessed that my gym is 3 blocks from my house and a 24/7.

M

Muckl3

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think I spend more time working out what I want to do rather than getting my ass up and doing it. OCD brain fucks me over but I feel I’m getting out of this now.

Also 12 hour shifts, travel, I workout at home and sometimes people are sleeping when I could be working out then when there up I haven’t got the time.

R

Realistinhere

Awards
taking care of my 3yr old son. Food to showers to brushing his teeth to anything and everything you can possibly imagine his needs would be. The only time I have his when he’s sleeping in the AM. Somedays he wakes up early. So, no gym. Somedays I am so tired from work and taking care of his needs, I just crash. I don’t usually make excuses because I hate them. But, life gets in the way and I just can’t say NO
Keep pushing through it will get better. I have a 2 and 4 yr old plus another on the way and finding balance is a constant struggle. Things have gotten better for me now that my 4 yr old is able to come to the gym with me and he can entertain himself with matchbox cars while I train. I don’t always train as many days as I would like but I do what I can

A

Alistair_

Awards
Severe year-round allergic rhinitis (hay fever) are my biggest challenge but I work around them the best I can. The fatigue they cause can make you feel like you’re always running on 4 hours sleep. There are a lot of helpful supplements I can’t take because they make them worse.

H

HUTCHYY56

Awards
Waiting for people to finish their sets on squat rack

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
All you can eat events hinder my cutting goals.

I normally reach my strength goals each year. Ive got a lofty goal this year of 315 x 2 on bench which would be a PR for me.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

I normally reach my strength goals each year. Ive got a lofty goal this year of 315 x 2 on bench which would be a PR for me.
That is a Great Mile Stone to hit !!

D

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Good to go!

DEVANS89

DEVANS89

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
A birthday, enjoying all the food, turns into a birthday week/month and then.. I’m still not back training now and I stopped back in May.

Zero motivation, zero desire to train.

Now it’s back, I think I just needed a good chuck of time off.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Time to get Back In The Groove !!

D

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A birthday, enjoying all the food, turns into a birthday week/month and then.. I’m still not back training now and I stopped back in May.

Zero motivation, zero desire to train.

Now it’s back, I think I just needed a good chuck of time off.
Good decision!

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Basketball...started playing basketball twice a week which I love, in many cases more so than lifting these days...but while i continue to get more and more lean, I'm noticing I'm losing size too...but not only that but because I play Wednesday and Sunday...I pretty much gave up squatting and deadlifting because it left me too sore to play well, also some of the games are intense which leaves me dead for my next gym workout the next day

Also working different shifts from my girl...getting home 2 or 3 hours before her after I workout...I get really hungry waiting for her to get home that snacking sometimes becomes an issue

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Basketball...started playing basketball twice a week which I love, in many cases more so than lifting these days...but while i continue to get more and more lean, I'm noticing I'm losing size too...but not only that but because I play Wednesday and Sunday...I pretty much gave up squatting and deadlifting because it left me too sore to play well, also some of the games are intense which leaves me dead for my next gym workout the next day

Also working different shifts from my girl...getting home 2 or 3 hours before her after I workout...I get really hungry waiting for her to get home that snacking sometimes becomes an issue
Sounds like you have a more important goal of having fun playing basketball - nothing wrong with that.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like you have a more important goal of having fun playing basketball - nothing wrong with that.
It's like a juggling act haha

I like basketball but it orginally started as a way to hang out with the guys and get some solid cardio

But of course I cant lose to my friends so it morphed my training ad well...started doing box jumps and agility ladders and stuff I'd never do before

But as we all know, if you notice any loss of muscle after training so hard for it....its make you pause and want to just lift again

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nothing Will Stop Me From Meeting My Goals !!

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lack of confidence.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Right now its injuries. When I go heavy for an extended period of time, some connective tissue inevitably gets hurt. Usually its my elbows or knees. Its my shoulder now. I was progressing pretty good to my 315x2 on bench goal until my shoulder barked at me. I feel at 38 I need to seriously consider planned deload weeks.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Right now its injuries. When I go heavy for an extended period of time, some connective tissue inevitably gets hurt. Usually its my elbows or knees. Its my shoulder now. I was progressing pretty good to my 315x2 on bench goal until my shoulder barked at me. I feel at 38 I need to seriously consider planned deload weeks.
Absolutely. You either hold back occasionally or your body will pull you back. I promise you it’s better to be the one calling those shots.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Absolutely. You either hold back occasionally or your body will pull you back. I promise you it’s better to be the one calling those shots.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Injuries, and also massive tattoo sessions. I normally take a break for a couple weeks to let my skin heal. Have never needed a touch up. But two weeks off is risky....and sucks...

kodiac

kodiac

Awards
This past year has been the hardest for sure. Young kids to take care of, new house, changed careers, then bursitis in my knee.
Out of everything though I sure would like to be more disciplined about my discipline.

D

Diablodeadhead1880

Awards
Hating cardio and never doing it anymore at all. Alcohol and a demanding job now days. It’s sad I blame work and beer. I used to own a gym so I rarely drank and ate a perfect diet and stayed in a gym 7 days a week with 8 hours of sleep. Best shape of my Life I was 225-230 sub 8% body fat. Now I’m 15% or more in the 260s strength and size are no longer a goal at all for me. Conditioning should be but I still just squat or pull and leave the gym after light accessory work no cardio. Ripped a pectoral in a powerlifting meet so that is a big hindrance as well.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Hating cardio and never doing it anymore at all. Alcohol and a demanding job now days. It’s sad I blame work and beer. I used to own a gym so I rarely drank and ate a perfect diet and stayed in a gym 7 days a week with 8 hours of sleep. Best shape of my Life I was 225-230 sub 8% body fat. Now I’m 15% or more in the 260s strength and size are no longer a goal at all for me. Conditioning should be but I still just squat or pull and leave the gym after light accessory work no cardio. Ripped a pectoral in a powerlifting meet so that is a big hindrance as well.
welcome to AM

D

Diablodeadhead1880

Awards