Topic of the Week: What prevents you from reaching your goals?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hating cardio and never doing it anymore at all. Alcohol and a demanding job now days. It’s sad I blame work and beer. I used to own a gym so I rarely drank and ate a perfect diet and stayed in a gym 7 days a week with 8 hours of sleep. Best shape of my Life I was 225-230 sub 8% body fat. Now I’m 15% or more in the 260s strength and size are no longer a goal at all for me. Conditioning should be but I still just squat or pull and leave the gym after light accessory work no cardio. Ripped a pectoral in a powerlifting meet so that is a big hindrance as well.
Hopefully we can be of some help motivating you and getting you back to your old self. I'm sure you will be happier ! We are here to help!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'm about to change your life...

Hi-Tech Pharma - "Somatomax"

I sleep like the dead on that stuff.
...and yes, you can mix it w Aquafina.
i am a huge fan of somatomax, although i am one of a very few that it doesn't help with sleep...i use it together with stims before long runs of at least 4-5 miles and usually more...pink floyd in cd player i lose track of time and distance and just go into the zone-fantastic, and now that i am retired i don't worry about time..

i should add that ambien also prevents sleep, doc says i am in the 3-5% population that reacts this way.

but for the vast majority somatomax is fantastic for sleep, from reading the reviews....most only need half a scoop and i recommend starting at half scoop.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The fact that I love Food!

thescience

thescience

Awards
  • Established
im open to suggestions here, which may add interest to the thread. ive been looking for a way to really bring out the abs wtihout changing my diet. i feel like the weightloss from starving or running is very short lived if you deviate from what amounts to a pretty exhausting struggle. I realized that my ab and torso routine never left me soar, unlike my successful workouts for my other body parts. I was able to accomplish that on a particular ab machine using heavy weight. mind you, i have limited time to train. anyway, i was hitting that machine 5x a week and saw pretty good results, but the areas above my elbows got really sore as basically they were getting blasted with heavy weights 3x a week and then not getting rest on the days between due to the ab machine effect on that area. i had to reduce the amount of times to 3, and also had to attach them to my workout days to have days when weights arent being used. ive also increase volume on the abs for those days. not thrilled about where my waist is at the moment, as ive been hitting the beach and these board shorts i really like that dont fall off really draw a contrast to it. at the moment, i have my sights set on what i think is the most promising fat loss supplement ive ever heard of, other than that i dont have a plan that i feel is going to get me further

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I had some pretty good abs and core before I got sick. I would rotate Ab & Lower Back every other day and put some oblique's in there about twice a week. The Life Fitness ab crunch machine is my go to for abs, it seen to hit them just right. I do 4 set of 25 and very my for position on each set. If you can find one of these machines give it a try. I believe Planet Fitness has them at most of there locations.

Ab Crunch.jpg
Life Fitness.JPG

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Right now injury is my roadblock. Torn right tricep, 2nd degree, long head, no surgery, just PT. I do my PT at a sports rehab place next to a gym. It is such a tease. Then I come home, enter through garage where my home gym is and that is also a tease. Black Thera-Band and cardio for me. On the positive side my volume or cardio is way up and my weight is down. On the negative side, my weight is down. Lol. I was 207 33% bf on 7-10-23 day of injury. Now 196 w 26% bf (I know the scale can be inaccurate for bf but taking this as a win). I think I cut too many calories too fast.

thescience

thescience

Awards
  • Established
I had some pretty good abs and core before I got sick. I would rotate Ab & Lower Back every other day and put some oblique's in there about twice a week. The Life Fitness ab crunch machine is my go to for abs, it seen to hit them just right. I do 4 set of 25 and very my for position on each set. If you can find one of these machines give it a try. I believe Planet Fitness has them at most of there locations.

View attachment 235061View attachment 235062
I wonder if my results are being dictated by the equipment my gym does have. I can attest my machine is missing some spots. When you say you worked your lower back, you mean deadlifts?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I wonder if my results are being dictated by the equipment my gym does have. I can attest my machine is missing some spots. When you say you worked your lower back, you mean deadlifts?
Hypertension, Superman’s etc

tullius

Awards
I would say that my main impediments to acheiving my goals are 3 children ages 4 and under, a demanding career that soaks up 50+ hours a week minimum, and the fact that I had to have my shoulder surgically repaired in february. Turns out all it takes tio break a 5 year habit of waking at 3am to get to the gym is 4 months of surgery recovery. Feels impossible to get started again, and I know that I am a worse version of myself at present. The gym and competing in highland games and strongman were my way to cope with the stresses of life, and in the absence of being able to use that for coping it seems I just lost whatever drive I had to do it. I have lifted weights actively for 20 years, but now I just cant seem to get my ass in gear and start again. Frankly, I am embarrassed to admit that or say it, but right now it is true.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I would say that my main impediments to acheiving my goals are 3 children ages 4 and under, a demanding career that soaks up 50+ hours a week minimum, and the fact that I had to have my shoulder surgically repaired in february. Turns out all it takes tio break a 5 year habit of waking at 3am to get to the gym is 4 months of surgery recovery. Feels impossible to get started again, and I know that I am a worse version of myself at present. The gym and competing in highland games and strongman were my way to cope with the stresses of life, and in the absence of being able to use that for coping it seems I just lost whatever drive I had to do it. I have lifted weights actively for 20 years, but now I just cant seem to get my ass in gear and start again. Frankly, I am embarrassed to admit that or say it, but right now it is true.
I went strong from 1995 until 2004. Took 2005 until 2012 off. Got back into it again 2012-2015, then off again until this year. I feel you on how hard it is to re-motivate yourself and get back into things. Now I am injured and it sux. Worried about not getting back into things once Im able. I feel the mental anguish!!!…. You are not alone!

tullius

Awards
I went strong from 1995 until 2004. Took 2005 until 2012 off. Got back into it again 2012-2015, then off again until this year. I feel you on how hard it is to re-motivate yourself and get back into things. Now I am injured and it sux. Worried about not getting back into things once Im able. I feel the mental anguish!!!…. You are not alone!
Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words and support. It is damn hard to get over the mental aspect of it all. It's hard to reach for extra when you feel like you're barely surviving taking care of everyone and everything else. It leaves nothing for yourself, and I feel like that is where I am right now. Family comes first, which means I need to use my energy on work and my kids and wife before myself. Feel trapped in a way, as we need my income to live, but feel like my job is killing me some weeks. I guess that is just how it goes sometimes.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
ive been looking for a way to really bring out the abs wtihout changing my diet.
you really can't unless you have the ridiculous metabolism of a skinny 16yr old.

i feel like the weightloss from starving or running is very short lived if you deviate from what amounts to a pretty exhausting struggle.
this is why looking like a Greek God is hard and desirable, if it was easy everyone would have abs poppin' on the beach.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
you really can't unless you have the ridiculous metabolism of a skinny 16yr old.

this is why looking like a Greek God is hard and desirable, if it was easy everyone would have abs poppin' on the beach.
I can attest to all this. The past 5 years I've gotten pretty shredded for Memorial Day. To keep veins showing in my abs, I still have to limit my calories to where I'm still hungry a lot of the time. As soon as September hits, I eat to where I am nice and full. Within a couple weeks my stomach starts to look soft. IMO it's impossible to stay shredded if you value your sanity.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sorry to hear this bro. I have an 11 and 8 year old. I remember those younger years. They were tough. Luckily I didn't have as demanding job as you. I'd recommend to just start somewhere like a few 30 minute full body workouts a week and splurge on a strong pwo to light a fire. You might have to get real with yourself that the highland games and strongman aren't acheivable currently and your goal should just be to get back in the weight room and get active. Myself, I loved doing triathlons AND hitting the weights hard. With kids, I got real and gave up triathlons. The AM community is strong and I know we all would love to help you out.

mark031111

Awards
Due to my gout, I face some hurdles in achieving my goals. The discomfort and mobility issues can sometimes make things a bit more challenging.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Due to my gout, I face some hurdles in achieving my goals. The discomfort and mobility issues can sometimes make things a bit more challenging.
My father-in-law has gout so I always keep my ears open to help him out. I follow Jerry Brainum(old bodybuilder) on youtube. Inflammation plays a big role in gout. Here's a great video on foods to avoid. Apologies if this is old news to you.

Inflammatory foods that wreck your health - YouTube

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words and support. It is damn hard to get over the mental aspect of it all. It's hard to reach for extra when you feel like you're barely surviving taking care of everyone and everything else. It leaves nothing for yourself, and I feel like that is where I am right now. Family comes first, which means I need to use my energy on work and my kids and wife before myself. Feel trapped in a way, as we need my income to live, but feel like my job is killing me some weeks. I guess that is just how it goes sometimes.
As a MAN, you are doing the right thing, taking care of priority one which is your family. No one is gonna call you out on that! To echo what @rodefeeh said, start small. Take baby steps. I lift at home. I had all the excuses to put off starting back up. Got the weights out of storage in February. Decided to turn garage into my gym Then I had to clean the garage. I legit mopped the damn garage floor. Garage never looked so clean. Now it’s late March and all I have done is clean the garage Lol. Assembled power rack, and there it sat through April. All the excuses in the world to not start back up again. Stuff changed one day and I just lifting again. Went w 3 days a week legs, push, and a pull day. Hadn’t done legs since 2004 as I skipped them 20012-2015. Wow that hurt. But loved the soreness. Once you feel that again you will be hooked!!! I will admit I jumped right into 2 scoops on my pre workout. Felt like my face was gonna fall off from the beta alanine. Lol. I guess what I’m trying to say is “come on in, the water is fine”!

tullius

Awards
Sorry to hear this bro. I have an 11 and 8 year old. I remember those younger years. They were tough. Luckily I didn't have as demanding job as you. I'd recommend to just start somewhere like a few 30 minute full body workouts a week and splurge on a strong pwo to light a fire. You might have to get real with yourself that the highland games and strongman aren't acheivable currently and your goal should just be to get back in the weight room and get active. Myself, I loved doing triathlons AND hitting the weights hard. With kids, I got real and gave up triathlons. The AM community is strong and I know we all would love to help you out.
Glad to know it gets better as they get a bit older, as right now it is damn hard most days. Still wouldn't trade them for the world of course. I think you are right though, I just need to consistently get in a couple short workouts a week, anything is better than nothing at all. Thank you!

tullius

Awards
As a MAN, you are doing the right thing, taking care of priority one which is your family. No one is gonna call you out on that! To echo what @rodefeeh said, start small. Take baby steps. I lift at home. I had all the excuses to put off starting back up. Got the weights out of storage in February. Decided to turn garage into my gym Then I had to clean the garage. I legit mopped the damn garage floor. Garage never looked so clean. Now it’s late March and all I have done is clean the garage Lol. Assembled power rack, and there it sat through April. All the excuses in the world to not start back up again. Stuff changed one day and I just lifting again. Went w 3 days a week legs, push, and a pull day. Hadn’t done legs since 2004 as I skipped them 20012-2015. Wow that hurt. But loved the soreness. Once you feel that again you will be hooked!!! I will admit I jumped right into 2 scoops on my pre workout. Felt like my face was gonna fall off from the beta alanine. Lol. I guess what I’m trying to say is “come on in, the water is fine”!
Thats two votes for just do something already lol. I am going to just focus on getting what I can for now. On the bright side, I started intermittent fasting again and I am down about 15 pounds in 3 weeks, so I am fixing things a bit at a time. Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate them

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
On the bright side, I started intermittent fasting again and I am down about 15 pounds in 3 weeks, so I am fixing things a bit at a time.
IF helps a lot of people narrow that feeding window and has some substantial health benefits especially if you can turn off the feeding window 2-3hrs before bed. Hyde and MrKleen got me into fasting this year and I had some great results with 30-60hr fasts.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just work on getting back into a routine

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I would try using the strategy of James Clear of just starting with the act of showing up and doing the first two min. That could just be starting to get up at the time you need to workout for a week and not going. Then getting up and putting on the clothes and getting ready to leave but not leaving. Then you could actually go to the gym and just warm-up and leave. Then from there go, warm-up, and do the first exercise. Then later on the second. I hope this makes sense. But you can just master the art of showing up again and worry about the what later on and just layer it in once you get going again.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
But you can just master the art of showing up again and worry about the what later on and just layer it in once you get going again.
There is a lot of truth to that. I keep telling my wife who's finally under the barbell again, that she needs to give it at least 2 months of discipline before habit kicks in, and maybe another couple months before the habit leads to her finding her passion in strength and fitness sports again.

I know for me on the worst days it's a matter of getting to the locker room. Once i'm there the ritual of headphones, knee sleeves, and lacing up the shoes always gets my brain ready to rock and roll. the small habits and rituals are big.

LucasBagoDoce

Awards
Going back to school at almost 30yo
Working less = less money = bills screwing me up nonstop = stress and anxiety to the roof

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Going back to school at almost 30yo
Working less = less money = bills screwing me up nonstop = stress and anxiety to the roof
I finished around age 27 or 28. heck IDK it might have been 30 because I had a toddler and a business so I find your situation relatable. I had to keep my nose to the grindstone and instead of thinking about the expense of it, the time suck and how much work I still had to do to find that degree I instead would tell myself "this is my lifestyle now, just enjoy it and do the work". I think it helped a lot. I mean I took my laptop to mexico and on deer hunting trips. my buddy thankfully had returned to school as well in the medical field so we'd get up at 4am, go deer hunting until dark, then hit the local pub with wifi to do our school work lol

LucasBagoDoce

Awards
I finished around age 27 or 28. heck IDK it might have been 30 because I had a toddler and a business so I find your situation relatable. I had to keep my nose to the grindstone and instead of thinking about the expense of it, the time suck and how much work I still had to do to find that degree I instead would tell myself "this is my lifestyle now, just enjoy it and do the work". I think it helped a lot. I mean I took my laptop to mexico and on deer hunting trips. my buddy thankfully had returned to school as well in the medical field so we'd get up at 4am, go deer hunting until dark, then hit the local pub with wifi to do our school work lol
You guys know more than anyone how much you deserved that degree
I’m still about to finish my undergrad in Biology and minor in Nutrition… will start Pharmacy School being 29yo
4 more years to come, f*ck lol

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You guys know more than anyone how much you deserved that degree
I’m still about to finish my undergrad in Biology and minor in Nutrition… will start Pharmacy School being 29yo
4 more years to come, f*ck lol
It's great to have goals set, and be willing to put the work in to achieve them. Respect!!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It's great to have goals set, and be willing to put the work in to achieve them. Respect!!
Without goals what are we really working toward. Goals are key imo!

tullius

Awards
Figured I would drop back in and say that I took the advice. I have 2 weeks now of 4 days a week in the gym under my belt. Things are going as well as they can be given the surgery recovery. It is a bit of a head trip to be pressing 30lb dumbbells when I have pressed 140lb dumbbells, but I feel like I am on the road now at least. Thanks to everyone for the support and the good advice, I really do appreciate it!

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Figured I would drop back in and say that I took the advice. I have 2 weeks now of 4 days a week in the gym under my belt. Things are going as well as they can be given the surgery recovery. It is a bit of a head trip to be pressing 30lb dumbbells when I have pressed 140lb dumbbells, but I feel like I am on the road now at least. Thanks to everyone for the support and the good advice, I really do appreciate it!
Just think, you can enhance and hone that mind/muscle connection, eat clean, and relive all the fun of making gains as u earn your way back to those 140’s!!! Way to work man! Glad to hear you are back in the saddle. Keep us posted. Start your own thread of your comeback trail. Even if it’s just as a training journal. Reading my supplement log of Finaflex Mass-500 for Steve N. “snagencyV2.0” back in 2014 showed me my commitment and ignorance all at the same time. Motivated me to get back into it. If I had paid real close attention I wouldn’t have torn my tricep. Lol
Again, WAY TO WORK!!!

Henrock

Awards
It's all about habits for me. How you do one thing is how you do everything. What is your level of self-awareness. What are you doing daily (habitual) that is helping or hindering your goals? That's what it comes down to fellas...at least in my opinion.
Stay hard.