The AM community physique critique thread

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Also bumping my pics. I think I got skipped over lol. What do you guys think I need the most work on?
What're your goals?

EDIT: Didn't see that you were trying to get leaner until I went back and looked at the top of your post. Legs for sure. Back thickness, delts, abs.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
I'll throw in some pics. I know what I think needs the most work (besides just more mass in general), but what do you guys think?

5'10" ~155lbs

No pics of legs because I know they need more work, haha.
Adding mass in general. In a perfect world you'd stay as lean as you are and continue to add size. However, if you're not afraid to let some definition and ab visibility go to the wayside, you can add some good size. Back and shoulders would be what I'd focus on, those are where you'll get that wider than a barn door look. I too hate doing abs, but I've recently added cardio into my routine and I know I need to start doing them in order to fully benefit from a cut. You've got good muscle shape and insertion points, so keep pushing.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Also bumping my pics. I think I got skipped over lol. What do you guys think I need the most work on?
Legs and back thickness would be my say. Ou could have an awesome taper if you could creat some more separation between your waist and thighs

And just overall back thickness would really make things pop.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
What're your goals?

EDIT: Didn't see that you were trying to get leaner until I went back and looked at the top of your post. Legs for sure. Back thickness, delts, abs.

Legs and back thickness would be my say. Ou could have an awesome taper if you could creat some more separation between your waist and thighs

And just overall back thickness would really make things pop.
Appreciate the feedback guys, I've definitely been trying to hit my legs hard lately. booneman what exactly do you mean by more separation between waist and thighs?

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Appreciate the feedback guys, I've definitely been trying to hit my legs hard lately. booneman what exactly do you mean by more separation between waist and thighs?
Legs being thicker + a normal sized waist = an illusion of having a super tiny waist. Think of the term "X Frame". Wide on the top and bottom, slim in the middle. Just my 2 cents, although that's what I'd assume he means.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Your legs/glute area has no taper back out. If your legs were thicker your waist would look even smaller and you'd basically have an hourglass type shape.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Adding mass in general. In a perfect world you'd stay as lean as you are and continue to add size. However, if you're not afraid to let some definition and ab visibility go to the wayside, you can add some good size. Back and shoulders would be what I'd focus on, those are where you'll get that wider than a barn door look. I too hate doing abs, but I've recently added cardio into my routine and I know I need to start doing them in order to fully benefit from a cut. You've got good muscle shape and insertion points, so keep pushing.
Thanks. I haven't been eating all that much this past semester, so I've probably been in a slight deficit or at maintenance, but I've been able to gain a bit of muscle and strength, so it's fine. Now that the semester is over, I can really start eating to put on some mass. I'm not afraid of eating, and I have a very fast metabolism; eating more treats me pretty well.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Looking solid and lean overall. I think this pic really shows how low your lats insert. You definitely have the potential for some crazy back width imo
Thanks. I just need to put on more size in general. I also think that working on my traps will really help with my back poses. When I spread my lats wide, my traps seem to disappear, which makes the middle of my back a weak point.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Really nice overall balance and symmetry. Like you said, overall mass will be key. Chest is really strong and shoulders too.

Triceps is where I would say to focus. They will triple the size of your arms of you could add some size there. Traps will change your entire shape too.

I'm with you on the "hate doing abs" ha. Id rather be leaner than have to work them more but it gets to a point where you just gotta bite the bullet.
Thanks. I've always had better biceps than triceps, and I agree that building my triceps will balance my arms out and really make them look bigger and fuller.

I think a lot of it is that I've really trained old-school bodybuilding style (my dad competed back in the 80's) so areas like chest and biceps are strong points for me, while others like traps and triceps (that tend to be worked more with powerlifting/heavy work) weren't quite as emphasized. Of course, genetics plays s role as well I'm sure. I tore a ligament in my lower back wrestling in high school, and even though it's healed, even moderately heavy deadlifts give me issues, so I'll just have to work around that to build my traps.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Here's a picture of my rear lat spread. The issue is that when I really spread my lats out, my traps basically disappear, and the middle of my back looks very empty.

I always start my back workout with wide grip pull ups (weighted often), which I think works width more than thickness. Should I put width on the backburner a little bit and focus more on rows and stuff to help with back thickness and the center of my back?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I mentioned it before but it was for someone else so ill mention it again. Have you tried exercises that force you to you valsalva technique for abs? IMO it's the best way to build them. For traps have your tried adding towl exercises or their weighted counter parts? The result I saw on myself and my workout buddy were nothing short of miraculous. It wont replace trap specific work but when add as an extra its fantastic
I haven't tried any towel exercises for traps. Any info or links to what in particular worked for you guys? I think improving traps would make a huge difference in my physique, especially from the back.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't have a link to the a specific program or anything. Just grab a towel with both hands to give resistance 3x10 front, back, left, right

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Here's a picture of my rear lat spread. The issue is that when I really spread my lats out, my traps basically disappear, and the middle of my back looks very empty.

I always start my back workout with wide grip pull ups (weighted often), which I think works width more than thickness. Should I put width on the backburner a little bit and focus more on rows and stuff to help with back thickness and the center of my back?
Definitely go for thickness. You have a great spread already, but like you said, no depth.

Closer grip rows, deadlifts (or maybe rack pulls would be better for you), shrugs, db rows, etc. anything that keeps you elbows closer to your body.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Definitely go for thickness. You have a great spread already, but like you said, no depth.

Closer grip rows, deadlifts (or maybe rack pulls would be better for you), shrugs, db rows, etc. anything that keeps you elbows closer to your body.
Rack pull FTW

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Thanks. I haven't been eating all that much this past semester, so I've probably been in a slight deficit or at maintenance, but I've been able to gain a bit of muscle and strength, so it's fine. Now that the semester is over, I can really start eating to put on some mass. I'm not afraid of eating, and I have a very fast metabolism; eating more treats me pretty well.
I hear you man. Diet is the hardest part to be consistent with IMO. Especially when you're not just eating at maintenance and you're going for a surplus/deficit.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah my diet/training went to **** this semester. Priorities though.
Remember when we were kids and couldn't wait to grow up? Now I just wanna drink chocolate milk and watch Saturday cartoons everyday. Adulting sucks

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah my diet/training went to **** this semester. Priorities though.
Remember when we were kids and couldn't wait to grow up? Now I just wanna drink chocolate milk and watch Saturday cartoons everyday. Adulting sucks
Truth!

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Rack pull FTW
So today was my first back workout with a focus on adding some thickness to my back.

I started with a few sets of one arm dumbbell rows, then close-grip supported T-bar rows, then some underhand Yates rows, then some rack pulls. I didn't go too heavy today, because I wanted to just get used to the motion, and it was later in my workout, but I worked up to 315x6. My lower back felt good the whole time, and I definitely felt (good) in the center of my back, which is exactly what I want. I think I'll start doing rack pulls first in my back workout (after warming up of course); I think they'll really help me add some thickness to my back.

Thanks for the help everyone!

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So today was my first back workout with a focus on adding some thickness to my back.

I started with a few sets of one arm dumbbell rows, then close-grip supported T-bar rows, then some underhand Yates rows, then some rack pulls. I didn't go too heavy today, because I wanted to just get used to the motion, and it was later in my workout, but I worked up to 315x6. My lower back felt good the whole time, and I definitely felt (good) in the center of my back, which is exactly what I want. I think I'll start doing rack pulls first in my back workout (after warming up of course); I think they'll really help me add some thickness to my back.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Quoting myself, but my traps and the middle of my back feel nice and sore (good sore) today from yesterday's back workout. I probably attribute most of that to the rack pulls. I'm looking forward to building a complete and balanced back now; it should really bring my whole physique up a notch for sure.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know this may not be the right place to ask, but since I've already been given advice to do rack pulls, I have some questions. Today was my second day doing rack pulls for back.

Last workout I did them a bit later in my workout and only went up to 315x6, with the bar set a bit above my knees.

Today I started my workout with rack pulls, and went up to 405 for a few reps. I definitely feel it in my back and traps, which is what I am doing them for (purely to add mass and back thickness; I don't care at all about carry over to deadlift or anything like that), but I find it feels the best, and most natural, if I sort of rest the bar on my quads just above my knees to start the lift, and it sort of feels like I'm cheating with my quads to lift the weight. Now, I don't know if I should be concerned with this at all or not, since, like I said, I'm only concerned with adding back thickness here, not working my hamstrings/glutes/deadlift. It seems that this motion is the only variation that allows me to keep my lower back posture very good, and allows me to use any real weight. It basically takes my lower back out of the equation completely. I suppose I could use MUCH lighter weight and do more of a traditional rack pull, but I don't think that would really help my traps and back thickness like this does, since I can actually pick up a decently heavy (for me) weight, which is a new form of work for my back and traps.

Opinions?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I know this may not be the right place to ask, but since I've already been given advice to do rack pulls, I have some questions. Today was my second day doing rack pulls for back.

Last workout I did them a bit later in my workout and only went up to 315x6, with the bar set a bit above my knees.

Today I started my workout with rack pulls, and went up to 405 for a few reps. I definitely feel it in my back and traps, which is what I am doing them for (purely to add mass and back thickness; I don't care at all about carry over to deadlift or anything like that), but I find it feels the best, and most natural, if I sort of rest the bar on my quads just above my knees to start the lift, and it sort of feels like I'm cheating with my quads to lift the weight. Now, I don't know if I should be concerned with this at all or not, since, like I said, I'm only concerned with adding back thickness here, not working my hamstrings/glutes/deadlift. It seems that this motion is the only variation that allows me to keep my lower back posture very good, and allows me to use any real weight. It basically takes my lower back out of the equation completely. I suppose I could use MUCH lighter weight and do more of a traditional rack pull, but I don't think that would really help my traps and back thickness like this does, since I can actually pick up a decently heavy (for me) weight, which is a new form of work for my back and traps.

Opinions?
For your goals of max upper back engagement, I see no issue in this. Maybe even throw a little shrug in there at the top of each rep for extra gains :)

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards

Opinions?
I'm not sure how rack pulls take your lower back out of the equation...it's used to isolate (or target may be the better term here) the spinal erectors (lower back). Not exactly sure what you mean by resting the bar on your quads. When I pull I keep the bar in contact with my legs, especially towards lockout so the bar should be touching your legs. I don't think using optimal leverage (keeping the bar in contact with your legs) is cheating. I'm not the best puller, but I've learned a lot and continue to apply what I know to each pulling session I have. It sounds like you may just be somewhat unfamiliar with the movement considering you don't do deads from the floor. Have you stated why you don't pull in a normal fashion? Prior injury, imbalances, etc?

EDIT: Deadlifts in general will work your traps to a degree. I didn't do isolation work on them for over a year because I was focusing on heavy pulls. I found doing a static hold at the top of the movement really stresses the upper back/traps as well. Like booneman said you can add in a shrug at the top of each rep if you're feeling froggy that day.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I'm not sure how rack pulls take your lower back out of the equation...it's used to isolate (or target may be the better term here) the spinal erectors (lower back). Not exactly sure what you mean by resting the bar on your quads. When I pull I keep the bar in contact with my legs, especially towards lockout so the bar should be touching your legs. I don't think using optimal leverage (keeping the bar in contact with your legs) is cheating. I'm not the best puller, but I've learned a lot and continue to apply what I know to each pulling session I have. It sounds like you may just be somewhat unfamiliar with the movement considering you don't do deads from the floor. Have you stated why you don't pull in a normal fashion? Prior injury, imbalances, etc?

EDIT: Deadlifts in general will work your traps to a degree. I didn't do isolation work on them for over a year because I was focusing on heavy pulls. I found doing a static hold at the top of the movement really stresses the upper back/traps as well. Like booneman said you can add in a shrug at the top of each rep if you're feeling froggy that day.
The higher you set the pins, the less lower back you'll use simply due to the angle you'll bend over being less

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
The higher you set the pins, the less lower back you'll use simply due to the angle you'll bend over being less
Didn't think of that. I usually do them 3-ish inches below the knee and I'm almost 6'0", so I still have to bend over a decent amount. Seems like setting the pins higher would make it almost just a shrug, but as crohn stated he's going for thickness and traps so it'll work

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I tore a ligament in my lower back wrestling in high school, and deadlifts have been terrible for my lower back ever since. I can squat heavy, but deadlifts and ben over rows (really bent over as in torso close to the ground), my lower back bothers me. I'm not interested in powerlifting or even training for any sport, so any rack pulls, deadlifts, or lifts in general I do are purely for gaining size and aesthetic purposes, so aggravating my lower back to the point where I can't do legs or other exercises well seems very counterproductive to me.

Perhaps I am just not very familiar with deadlifts in general (which would include the ROM of a rack pull), but if I start the rack below my knees, my lower back is surely the limiting factor for weight and reps. However, when I put the bar above my knees a bit, I can retain a good back position throughout the entire rep, and use much more weight. I may not be explaining it well, but I feel like I'm using a good bit of quads (like a squat) to get the bar up. I do feel that my form is tight, and I'm keeping everything controlled though. It seems possible that just holding and moving heavy weight, and keeping it tight and controlled, would be good for back thickness and traps regardless though, and this seems like the best way for me to pick up heavy weight and still keep my lower back feeling good and safe.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
I tore a ligament in my lower back wrestling in high school, and deadlifts have been terrible for my lower back ever since. I can squat heavy, but deadlifts and ben over rows (really bent over as in torso close to the ground), my lower back bothers me. I'm not interested in powerlifting or even training for any sport, so any rack pulls, deadlifts, or lifts in general I do are purely for gaining size and aesthetic purposes, so aggravating my lower back to the point where I can't do legs or other exercises well seems very counterproductive to me.

Perhaps I am just not very familiar with deadlifts in general (which would include the ROM of a rack pull), but if I start the rack below my knees, my lower back is surely the limiting factor for weight and reps. However, when I put the bar above my knees a bit, I can retain a good back position throughout the entire rep, and use much more weight. I may not be explaining it well, but I feel like I'm using a good bit of quads (like a squat) to get the bar up. I do feel that my form is tight, and I'm keeping everything controlled though. It seems possible that just holding and moving heavy weight, and keeping it tight and controlled, would be good for back thickness and traps regardless though, and this seems like the best way for me to pick up heavy weight and still keep my lower back feeling good and safe.
Hey man, if it works for you and it's safest for you to do it (or not do it) then more power to you. Sorry, I now remember seeing you saying you tore a ligament wrestling. If you're not training for a sport or anything then the technicalities don't really matter do they, at least as far ROM or what exercises are performed? Glad we could help (at least a little bit), I'm sure in half a year's time you'll have added a decent amount of mass to your back/traps.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Great stuff in here guys! Enjoying this thread!

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I definitely like the idea of this thread. I recently posted up some progress pics in my log (which doesn't get much traffic) to get this type of perspective. Helped me start to focus on my side delt movements. Always interested in hearing more experienced member's views.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I definitely like the idea of this thread. I recently posted up some progress pics in my log (which doesn't get much traffic) to get this type of perspective. Helped me start to focus on my side delt movements. Always interested in hearing more experienced member's views.
Post them up here for sure! I figured this had a chance for a more global view for just that thing.

Out of curiosity, what/how are you doing your sides? I always have a tough time feeling/isolating mine and thus growing them

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Post them up here for sure! I figured this had a chance for a more global view for just that thing.

Out of curiosity, what/how are you doing your sides? I always have a tough time feeling/isolating mine and thus growing them
Definitely will. So far it's been more about hitting more often or at the beginning of my routine, more so than a different movement. So, today I hit DB laterals first. Also added resistance band work at the end. If your gym has the lateral machine (seated with roller pads) that seems to target pretty well vs DBs.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Have you ever tried leaning side laterals? I like them. Fighting gravity a bit makes me feel it way more personally.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Definitely will. So far it's been more about hitting more often or at the beginning of my routine, more so than a different movement. So, today I hit DB laterals first. Also added resistance band work at the end. If your gym has the lateral machine (seated with roller pads) that seems to target pretty well vs DBs.
I really like supersetting dumbbell laterals with Arnold presses.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Have you ever tried leaning side laterals? I like them. Fighting gravity a bit makes me feel it way more personally.
I have... always seem to forget about them though ha. Good reminder!

Regardless of the exercise, I always seem to be very trap dominant and tahts where I struggle to isolate them.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I keep hearing about how big my arms are.... But to me they look like my weak point lol i don't get it
You're always going to be your own worst critic. But then again, we hang out here with a different crowd than you probably run with offline. So different perspectives.

That just makes me mad! You have great traps and never have to work them. I train mine twice a week and have very little to show for it lol
I'm the same way as Boone, my traps are pretty developed so I don't work them much, if at all. But everyone has a different strength and weak point.

I've tried the front camera but I can't get a good flex in. Hard to explain
Front cameras usually have a lower res, so pics won't be as detailed and will likely look softer.

From all this discussion of rack pulls, looks like I'll have to start incorporating them. I also need to work on thickness.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You're always going to be your own worst critic. But then again, we hang out here with a different crowd than you probably run with offline. So different perspectives.

I'm the same way as Boone, my traps are pretty developed so I don't work them much, if at all. But everyone has a different strength and weak point.

Front cameras usually have a lower res, so pics won't be as detailed and will likely look softer.

From all this discussion of rack pulls, looks like I'll have to start incorporating them. I also need to work on thickness.
I have an iPhone 6S Plus and the front camera is pretty good! I just put the front camera on video, put the phone down, and flex/pose. For front poses, I can use the phone like a mirror, and for back poses, I just make sure my body is lined up with the camera properly.

Also, I HIGHLY advise anyone who hasn't already, read Arnold's The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding. Besides good advice on exercises for weak points, it has some really good posing advice. I was always bothered that when I flexed my biceps from the front, my thumb stuck down from my fist, which was distracting/annoying, and also made my fist appear bigger, making my bicep appear smaller by comparison. Arnold recommended tucking your thumb into your fist when flexing the biceps from the front, and it makes a big difference! I don't know how I missed this for so long, but it makes a big difference in bicep poses IMO.

There are also some really good pictures of very interesting/creative poses from a ton of great bodybuilders. It's fun to play around with different poses and see which ones I can look good in. Some poses just make anyone who isn't HUGE look tiny, but some work well for someone my size with my proportions.

There's one variation of the side chest pose that Arnold hits that I think looks pretty nice. I hit it today after my arm workout. My chest doesn't look all that great though, since it's sore from yesterday and feels a bit flat, haha. I'll post up the pics from my phone.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Arnold hitting the pose in the bottom left:

My attempt at the pose:

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Arnold hitting the pose in the bottom left:

My attempt at the pose:
That's a hell of a good job! Incredibly difficult to make that pose look good as you must have the proportions to even attempt it.

Only thing I would try to get to pop a bit more is your shoulder. Might just be some tweaking with arm positioning tho but you get some striations in there and you're money

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's a hell of a good job! Incredibly difficult to make that pose look good as you must have the proportions to even attempt it.

Only thing I would try to get to pop a bit more is your shoulder. Might just be some tweaking with arm positioning tho but you get some striations in there and you're money
Thanks man. Perhaps I could apply some outward tension on that arm while pulling with the other to keep it in place to bring out some striations in my deltoid. I hit the pose again another day without the tank top and was able to see better striations in my chest.

There's a ton of awesome poses in that book; I just have to experiment to see which ones suit my physique.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Another bump for this thread. Let's get some more pics/critiques in here!

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Throwing in a pic of my terrible calves as motivation to bring them up. I've been working them hard lately, and I'm seeing some progress, but mostly just more vascularity (pic taken in the morning pre-workout)

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Throwing in a pic of my terrible calves as motivation to bring them up. I've been working them hard lately, and I'm seeing some progress, but mostly just more vascularity (pic taken in the morning pre-workout)
Fcuk calves ha. The most frustrating muscle of all time

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Subbed. Ive already got some good critics from the guys on my log but can always hear other points. Trying to improve my back. I'll be the first......

View attachment 134911
I think that's a solid barn door you got there bro!

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Fcuk calves ha. The most frustrating muscle of all time
Amen to that. Still, if I'm being honest, at the end of the day, if I had to choose between having good calf genetics (I don't) or good bicep genetics (I do), I'd pick biceps, haha.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A little update. Different lighting though.
Old:

New: