Testosterone & estrogen and their affects on the growth plates

MegaMan7

Awards
This has been a question I have had for years. I have heard and read many contradicting "facts" about testosterone and estrogen and their affects on the growth plates. Some will tell you that estrogen causes premature closure of the growth plates (this being the reason that women are generally shorter then men) however many are convinced it is the opposite, that testosterone causes the growth plates to prematurely shut (many say this is the reason that AAS stunts growth). I myself am more inclined to believe that estrogen is the culprit..what do you guys know about this?

doom3q

Banned
Awards
I'm pretty sure it's estradiol that fuses growth plates. I did a bit of research on this and couldn't find a study that said test fuses growth plates, but found plenty on estradiol. Many AAS do aromatize and raise estradiol alot which can fuse growth plates. So yeah, it's not a good idea to use them under 21.

Strateg0s

Awards
  • Established
There was a study which involved the use of nolvadex to help teenagers grow taller. Perhaps someone can find the link to it. Unless the study was cooked, estrogen would seems to be the culprit.