Supplements for tennis elbow

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Currently taking Cissus and Tumeric for tennis elbow. Are there any additional supplements I can add that might help?

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
If price isn’t a concern, Orthogen from Morphogen Nutrition might be tops on the market

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Get a tennis elbow brace - i got a 2 pack for like $12 on Amazon and they work great.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Get a tennis elbow brace - i got a 2 pack for like $12 on Amazon and they work great.
I have one of the small ones I use. Can you send me the link on Amazon of the one you use or post up a pic?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
voltaren gel...can get the small tube at wamart for around $10 but i recommend the big tube for $20-3 times more.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
How bad and how long has it been bothering you?
it’s been bothering me for about a year sometimes worst than other times. It pains me enough to have modify some of my lifts and use different exercises. If I pick up something as little as 2 pounds I can feel it.

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To be clear, it's Tennis Elbow (Outer) pain and not Golf Elbow (Inner) pain?
  • Wear a tennis elbow brace when lifting, always.
  • Take Joint Support XT
And focus on rehabilitation.

Roll up a towel and do fist clenches at varying points of wrist suppination, at each angle moving the muscle contraction through your hand. Focus on where pain is coming from and which angles of suppination and wrist/hand flexion are causing the most pain.

Once you've identified that, regularly work on calisthenics and very lightweight rotational wrist exercises that target the specific tendons and small muscles that are bothering you the most.

I had some pretty severe imbalance-related tennis elbow in 2019 and I went from barely being able to move my elbows after workouts to being able to work my way up/down/across peg walls with no discomfort at all with 6 months of focused rehabilitation.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Take Joint Support XT

Roll up a towel and do fist clenches at varying points of wrist suppination, at each angle moving the muscle contraction through your hand. Focus on where pain is coming from and which angles of suppination and wrist/hand flexion are causing the most pain.

Once you've identified that, regularly work on calisthenics and very lightweight rotational wrist exercises that target the specific tendons and small muscles that are bothering you the most.

I had some pretty severe imbalance-related tennis elbow in 2019 and I went from barely being able to move my elbows after workouts to being able to work my way up/down/across peg walls with no discomfort at all with 6 months of focused rehabilitation.
Should I completely eliminate heave wrist curls and reverse wrist curls till I am better?

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It is tennis elbow (I.e. the pain is on the outside).

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah degradation in form doing those heavily is almost certainly contributing to your tennis elbow.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah degradation in form doing those heavily is almost certainly contributing to your tennis elbow.
Ya I had to drop the reverse curls the pain was so bad. Guess I will temporarily drop the wrist curls to till I feel better.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Ya I had to drop the reverse curls the pain was so bad. Guess I will temporarily drop the wrist curls to till I feel better.
geez, man...voltaren gel costs $10 at walmart, i highly suggest you at least try it.

it was prescription only until less than a year ago, i was prescribed it for my bone on bone knee prior to getting to getting a knee replacement...i guess you can lead a horse to water-eh?

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
geez, man...voltaren gel costs $10 at walmart, i highly suggest you at least try it.

it was prescription only until less than a year ago, i was prescribed it for my bone on bone knee prior to getting to getting a knee replacement...i guess you can lead a horse to water-eh?
No, thank you for telling me about it bro! I am definitively gong to buy it. Is it something you can stay on if needed? Ibuprofen is the only thing that has really helped lately. Would it be a problem if you stacked the two antiinflammatories if needed?

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
No, thank you for telling me about it bro! I am definitively gong to buy it. Is it something you can stay on if needed? Ibuprofen is the only thing that has really helped lately. Would it be a problem if you stacked the two antiinflammatories if needed?
You should get to the root of the problem rather than mask it with voltaren. That stuff should be used short term while you fix the issue as de_eb stated.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ginger
Pycnogenol
coq10

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
originally i was on etodolac a prescription nasaid similar to ibuprofen., but my stomach couldn't handle it...voltaren gel doesn't effect my stomach-at least not nearly as bad as oral nasaid's. if diclofenac doesn't give relief then see a doc, i would NOT overlap.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You should get to the root of the problem rather than mask it with voltaren. That stuff should be used short term while you fix the issue as de_eb stated.
i was on prescription voltaren gel for just shy of 3 years. i am very healthy for 62 and doc says my bloods are better than some 30 year olds he treats....but getting bloods when starting new meds is always wise-what might be gold for me might not glitter for someone else.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don’t think the root of the problem can be fixed. Lifters here tennis elbow occasionally from lifting as do tennis players from tennis. I have avoided certain lifts that agitate it since getting hurt.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
i was on prescription voltaren gel for just shy of 3 years. i am very healthy for 62 and doc says my bloods are better than some 30 year olds he treats....but getting bloods when starting new meds is always wise-what might be gold for me might not glitter for someone else.
I guess it is safe to stay on long term then if needed as long as bloods are good? What are the bloods to monitor that it can effect? Is Ibprofen long term use ok if no stomach agitaton? Also, why do you caution against stacking the two if needed?

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Until you've precisely identified what's ag
I don’t think the root of the problem can be fixed. Lifters here tennis elbow occasionally from lifting as do tennis players from tennis. I have avoided certain lifts that agitate it since getting hurt.
In both cases it's because of activation imbalance in your arms, it is almost entirely preventable by minimizing that issue and making a plan to ensure balanced muscle activation going forward.

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm not commenting on the safety of voltaren. I'm just stating rehab is the way to address the issue. It's how I got rid of mine permanently

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I guess it is safe to stay on long term then if needed as long as bloods are good? What are the bloods to monitor that it can effect? Is Ibprofen long term use ok if no stomach agitaton? Also, why do you caution against stacking the two if needed?
kidneys, liver, stomach bleeding....honestly if voltaren gel doesn't take care of pain then you should see a doctor, but my bet is that you will see substantial pain relief from the voltaren gel.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
kidneys, liver, stomach bleeding....honestly if voltaren gel doesn't take care of pain then you should see a doctor, but my bet is that you will see substantial pain relief from the voltaren gel.
Picked up the Voltaren today. How often did you dose it?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Picked up the Voltaren today. How often did you dose it?
4gms 4xdaily. 4gms should easily cover elbow, i did use more every now and then to cover my knee. after the 1st few days 4xdaily dosing might not even be needed, but start out at 4 xdaily.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
have you tried putting the turmeric directly on the sore area? as in Hellios? the topical variant of curcumin

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Currently taking Cissus and Tumeric for tennis elbow. Are there any additional supplements I can add that might help?
BPC157 is usually phenomenal for tennis elbow.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ya that is the exact kind I have! Definitely feel it a lot worst if I life without it on.
I use the same ones. Pretty helpful, except the velcro wears our pretty fast from use.
  • Take Joint Support XT

What would be the solution if it's golf elbow?

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
have you tried putting the turmeric directly on the sore area? as in Hellios? the topical variant of curcumin
I started Hellios a few days ago. Would it still absorb well if I put it on the sore elbow?

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use the same ones. Pretty helpful, except the velcro wears our pretty fast from use. What would be the solution if it's golf elbow?
I like them tight and when doing lat pull downs it does pop open at times. Luckily it’s a pack of 2 and use one for daily use and other for gym.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I like them tight and when doing lat pull downs it does pop open at times. Luckily it’s a pack of 2 and use one for daily use and other for gym.
You keep one on permanently all day? Seems to help?

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I use the same ones. Pretty helpful, except the velcro wears our pretty fast from use. What would be the solution if it's golf elbow?
Correct on velcro. I have same one. Then I got this which never ever wears or detaches during a set:

20210103_171257.jpg

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Mine aware always brutal and have bothered me for on and off for years. 2 years ago I bought those straps to put on my forearm, I also bought the Theraband to stretch, it was pretty bad that it limits many of the things I can do not just in the gym but at home.

I can tell you nothing beats deep painful massage (Rolfing) to fix these things. After a few months it seemed to go away but comes back for a short period from time to time which could be diet related...I get bad inflammation if I go off my macros for too long (I also have rheumatoid arthritis) or not enough rest days.

From my research I have/had both Medial Epicondylitis: (Golfer’s Elbow) and Lateral Epicondylitis: (Tennis Elbow) since both the inside and outside of my elbows hurt. - sharp pain from tricep press downs and skull crushers etc. Was hard to pick up my kids with both arms without pain etc. Even grabbing a gallon of water etc hurts and it's weak.

It would be pretty bad such that it hurt to do triceps, db laterals or even doing rear delts on the delt machine/pec fly machine (would kill my elbows)

From time to time when I do a front double bicep pose (which is brutally painful) then if I take some hand cream and start massaging the tendons (forearm flexors) really deep and painfully it actually reduces the pain for the time being and then I can actually perform a proper flex and pose and feel my biceps contract a bit. But the truth is for a while I was unable to even flex/contract my biceps. All of this, the elbows and bicep issue come down to the forearm flexors which you need to rip up and deep massage as often as possible. (Rolfing is amazing

In addition to the straps and stretching mentioned above I had added Eccentric Training (search that on google for Eccentric Training for Tendonitis) and helps a little. Basically performing the Eccentric portion only of tricep cable press downs and bicep curls (curl machine)

That being said, what made this real bad was too many consecutive gym days with no days off, lots of inflammation. So rest, ice, stretching is needed.

I got a flare up 3 weeks ago worse than ever before so had no choice to get a cortisone last week. Bpc 157 works well too once you get over the fear of putting a needle in that soft area by the elbow. Now its a breeze for me.

Find a deep, painful tissue massage person or Rolfing. Will fix you up in a fraction of the time that other methods do. All these things drastically improve symptoms.