Supplements for 48 year old

Tinyme

Awards
I have a brother in law that is 48 years old. He's 5 7 around 175lbs. He had a big belly and wants to lose it by June next year.

He's going to start training with me when I'm free. Trying to see what supplements would be good for him? Fish oil Multi Protein? I'm going to be doing his diet. He's worked out for a year but never lost any weight. So imma try to keep him on a diet plan but I was wondering any other supplements that would help him?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If he is just getting into training, I would look into the follow:

Multi - Orange Triad
Fish Oil - Oxi Omega
Protein - PES Select
Joint Support (if needed) - Flexatril
Creatine - PowerMax XT

PowerMax XT is more than just your run of the mill creatine, it also includes full doses of ergogenic aids such as betaine, glycerol, COP and l-analy l-glutamine. All of which aid in performance, endurance, hydration and recovery. The full dose of betaine has also been shown to improve body composition.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3844502/

For a newer person, that is all that is needed. A great training and diet program will go a long by by itself. Additionally, he has to get into the habit of training and following an eating routine and make that part of his daily routine.

Tinyme

Awards

Multi - Orange Triad
Fish Oil - Oxi Omega
Protein - PES Select
Creatine - PowerMax XT

PowerMax XT is more than just your run of the mill creatine, it also includes full doses of ergogenic aids such as betaine, glycerol, COP and l-analy l-glutamine. All of which aid in performance, endurance, hydration and recovery. The full dose of betaine has also been shown to improve body

For a newer person, that is all that is needed. A great training and diet program will go a long by by itself. Additionally, he has to get into the habit of training and following an eating routine and make that part of his daily routine.
Well he's train before but not really lol if that make sense.. didn't really try just went to the gym for a year and didn't really progress any...

He shouldn't get any test booster?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well he's train before but not really lol if that make sense.. didn't really try just went to the gym for a year and didn't really progress any...

He shouldn't get any test booster?
I would focus more on getting into the routine of a set diet and trainig program before using anything outside the basics, and even that can be debated. He should see great results just from training and dieting alone. Once he has shown dedication, then I would invest more money into supplements outside the staples.

pro45

Awards
I would focus more on getting into the routine of a set diet and trainig program before using anything outside the basics, and even that can be debated. He should see great results just from training and dieting alone. Once he has shown dedication, then I would invest more money into supplements outside the staples.
I agree with AntM1564

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Definitely protein ,joint supplement, and good diet.

Test booster at 48 probably not, instead go to a doctor and get his hormone levels checked and a full check up. 48 y/ o who is new to this needs to make sure he is some what healthy before starting exercise.

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
I'd go with Gaspari's Precision Protein

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Definitely protein ,joint supplement, and good diet.

Test booster at 48 probably not, instead go to a doctor and get his hormone levels checked and a full check up. 48 y/ o who is new to this needs to make sure he is some what healthy before starting exercise.
100% agree.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Multi - Orange Triad
Fish Oil - Oxi Omega
Protein - PES Select
Creatine - PowerMax XT

PowerMax XT is more than just your run of the mill creatine, it also includes full doses of ergogenic aids such as betaine, glycerol, COP and l-analy l-glutamine. All of which aid in performance, endurance, hydration and recovery. The full dose of betaine has also been shown to improve body composition.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3844502/

I'd agree with this. Just pick up these base supps and start your program to get the ball rolling. Consistency will be key.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
The only supplements he might *need*, depending on his diet, would be Omega-3 (or just feed him canned Salmon), Vitamin D (unless you live in Hawaii), and a Multi-Vitamin (because even though they may not help - they haven't been shown to hurt).

Other than that, make him eat nutritious food and he won't even need overpriced Protein Powder.

Caffeine and EGCG from Green Tea will help liberate a little bit more fatty acid - so I'd add those too. 'Bout it.

A good sized deficit and consistency can have him 24lbs lighter by June.

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
The only supplements he might *need*, depending on his diet, would be Omega-3 (or just feed him canned Salmon), Vitamin D (unless you live in Hawaii), and a Multi-Vitamin (because even though they may not help - they haven't been shown to hurt).

Other than that, make him eat nutritious food and he won't even need overpriced Protein Powder.

Caffeine and EGCG from Green Tea will help liberate a little bit more fatty acid - so I'd add those too. 'Bout it.

I need Vitamin D and I live in Arizona :D

Multivitamins actually are a cause of ER visits, well it falls under the 20,000 something visits due to dietary supplements. ( I still take mine)

Yeah I would just say start out on the basics.

Caffeine or Coffee if he likes that better.
Creatine.
Fish Oil.
Green Tea Extract.

We(SNS) sell bulk of all of these except Fish Oil. I'd just get him into a routine, consistently eating well and he'll be all good

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I need Vitamin D and I live in Arizona :D
I wouldn't go out in that heat either! :D

Yeah, Creatine does a lot of healthy things besides intracellular water retention - good call.

Didn't know that about MultiV's - I take an $8 Swanson one too.

210LBS

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't go out in that heat either! :D

Yeah, Creatine does a lot of healthy things besides intracellular water retention - good call.

Didn't know that about MultiV's - I take an $8 Swanson one too.
What other healthy things does creatine do?

Tinyme

Awards

Caffeine and egcg? Are those pills?

He's not a coffee drinker.

I know his family has heart problems. Will fish oil hurt him?

Thanks for the replies

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

E food read required to gA good sized deficit and consistency can have him 24lbs lighter by June.
I'm going to disagree here, somebody trying to follow this type of lifestyle is going find it hard to get the proper protein reqs right from the start and that even if his body can digest all that food. Most older guys in the 45 plus range don't digest that much food as easily. Protein supp is an easy way to hit protein requirments with the least amount of calories.

By the way overpriced protein? It's pretty easy to get a good protein powder for a good price.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I'm going to disagree here, somebody newer this type of lifestyle is going find it hard to get the proper protein reqs right from the start and that even if his body can digest all that food. Most older guys in the 45 plus range don't digest that much food as easily. Protein supp is an easy way to hit protein requirments with the least amount of calories.
I disagree with your disagree.? I'm 48, digest fine, and can Easily hit 180-210g P with just Milk, Yogurt, Eggs, Fish, Chicken and the ancillary amounts in Oats, etc...

Powder is for convenience only, or if you think you need 300g while in a deficit, LOL.

I came down from 285 eating just 1.6g per Kilo... But then again, I don't sell Protein ?

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I disagree with your disagree. I'm 48, digest fine, and can Easily hit 180-210g P with just Milk, Yogurt, Eggs, Fish, Chicken and the ancillary amounts in Oats, etc...

Powder is for convenience only, or if you think you need 300g while in a deficit, LOL.

I came down from 285 eating just 1.6g per Kilo... But then again, I don't sell Protein
47 here, me I would never be able to digest enough chicken, meat and eggs week to week to meet my protein reqs. I would be bloated and feel like **** by the end of everyday.

Not easy for a guy new to this either.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I have a brother in law that is 48 years old. He's 5 7 around 175lbs. He had a big belly and wants to lose it by June next year.

He's going to start training with me when I'm free. Trying to see what supplements would be good for him? Fish oil Multi Protein? I'm going to be doing his diet. He's worked out for a year but never lost any weight. So imma try to keep him on a diet plan but I was wondering any other supplements that would help him?
48 + big gut = invictus by iron legion.

210LBS

Awards
  • Established
In the gym, look up related to cognition.
I checked it out. It's interesting stuff, but I never know how much of these creatine studies are "factual." Everyone talks about creatine being the most researched supplement but I feel like the studies on it are never confirmed by follow ups. Anyone remember the study that showed creatine increased DHT by over 50% in athletes? Nobody mentions it as a benefit or side effect to it probably because it was never followed up. Don't get me wrong, I use creatine myself. Just saying we sometimes pretend to know more about it then we may actually know.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I checked it out. It's interesting stuff, but I never know how much of these creatine studies are "factual." Everyone talks about creatine being the most researched supplement but I feel like the studies on it are never confirmed by follow ups. Anyone remember the study that showed creatine increased DHT by over 50% in athletes? Nobody mentions it as a benefit or side effect to it probably because it was never followed up. Don't get me wrong, I use creatine myself. Just saying we sometimes pretend to know more about it then we may actually know.
I didn't count them, but when there is more than one study, it tends to trend toward the positive. Yeah, 1 (or a really low number) study really means Jack (unless you are selling something).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/?term=creatine+mental+cognition

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
This! Invictus has a myriad of benefits that would likely help him!

We're running our Christmas Promo right now, coupon code MERRY35 save's 35% site wide at iron-legion.com

Here's a link to Invictus: https://iron-legion.com/product/invictus/
absolutely...I never recommend a product that I haven't used and had good results from....invictus and viron are both top notch products!!!

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
absolutely...I never recommend a product that I haven't used and had good results from....invictus and viron are both top notch products!!!
Respect for the first part. Many people will recommend products without trying them for theirselves.

As for me I would recommend mtest for a safe test booster.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Respect for the first part. Many people will recommend products without trying them for theirselves.

As for me I would recommend mtest for a safe test booster.
lol...if the question were-recommend me a test booster, m-test would be something I would definitely recommend....but the op was looking for something specific for a 48 year old man with a big gut, so the 1st thing that came to mind was invictus since it worked so well for me for reducing my gut during my last cut!!!

gaz7456

gaz7456

Awards
If you can get your brother in law to train regular and hard and keep calories in a small deficit each day then there's no need for supplements IMHO. They can always be added later if he starts to get more serious and the muscle gains/fat loss start to plateau, but even then the difference most make will be small/immaterial.