Supplementing Extra Calcium

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What are everyones thoughts on supplementing extra calcium...especially for those that don't have dairy in their diet. I've read some things about it being harmful but other sources claiming it's okay as long as you don't take too much (>1,000 mg/day in supplemental form). I only get about 500-600 mg/day from non-dairy sources. I've been taking a supplement that includes 500 mg of calcium along with 144 mg of magnesium threonate and 1,000 iu vitamin d. It has been awesome at helping me sleep at night but I recently started to worry about the longterm ramifications of the extra calcium. All thoughts and opinions are welcome and appreciated.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yea I've seen that meta analysis where it had negative effect and wasn't absorbed into the bones IIRC. Out of my own speculation I can't help but wonder if the people were deficient in k2, D, or mag making it hard for them to actually utilize it. I would think that getting correct dosages would be important myself, but I would have to do more research.

Interested in other opinions.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea I've seen that meta analysis where it had negative effect and wasn't absorbed into the bones IIRC. Out of my own speculation I can't help but wonder if the people were deficient in k2, D, or mag making it hard for them to actually utilize it. I would think that getting correct dosages would be important myself, but I would have to do more research.

Interested in other opinions.
Thanks for the response. Yeah, deficiencies in k, d or magnesium could be a reason why many react poorly to long-term calcium supplement use. That's part of the reason why I like the above mentioned supplement...it includes everything except vitamin k (which I try and get from diet).