Sulforaphane Inhibits Myostatin?

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
gonna start downing pounds of both now

aLinux

aLinux

Awards
Molecular Weight 177.25 - Therapeutic dose of 0.25-1ul so you'd need about 10mg but no more than 25mg daily else you start ruin stem cells.
400mcg * 60 capsules = 24mg .. so you'd need to take one bottle daily. I'd look for another supplement between 10-25mg NOT mcg.

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
Molecular Weight 177.25 - Therapeutic dose of 0.25-1ul so you'd need about 10mg but no more than 25mg daily else you start ruin stem cells.
400mcg * 60 capsules = 24mg .. so you'd need to take one bottle daily. I'd look for another supplement between 10-25mg NOT mcg.
Seems like our only sources then are pharma research companies.

Solar

Awards
There seems to be some evidence that there is some health gains, and the product is cheep enough it's worth a try. I think I will pick up a bottle and try a pill pre and post workout.

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
From ergo-log:
Cauliflower, broccoli & bodybuilders

If we were to do some anecdotal testing of our own using Swanson's Sulforaphane (Swanson GreenFoods Formulas Sulforaphane from Broccoli - 100% Natural 400 mcg 60 Veg Caps - Swanson Health Products) what would be the necessary dose required to recreate the tests?
these supps are not very good since they contain the sulforaphane in a form which cannot be absorbed well

Its better to buy broccoli sprouts and eat them

the tests were done in-vitro so extrapolation to human in vivo dose is too difficult to predict without information regarding bioavalabilty, disposition in tissues, half life etc

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
explain how you made that calculation

how is a unit of volume a dosage to begin with

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
I have researched this way more than any of you guys so trust me when i say the way to go is to buy this from the store and try to eat a package a day

http://www.broccosprouts.com/

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
where can you find those^

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
i will look at hyvee

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
you should be able to find them at most supermarkets. broccoli seed or sprout suppleemnts dont work because the sulforaphane is stuck in an unusuable form. live broccoli sprouts release the enzyme myrosinase which then frees up the sulforaphane

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
they have to be pretty expensive no?

Markos4

Awards
I bought myo x for $70 but i dont know if it worked for me.. maybe it was placebo, my joints definitely started hurting after two weeks of taking this as a side effect.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
I bought myo x for $70 but i dont know if it worked for me.. maybe it was placebo, my joints definitely started hurting after two weeks of taking this as a side effect.
placebo for sure, there is no supplement that will lower myostatin. they dont even have pharmaceutical drugs that will do that yet

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Mountain Rose Herbs, a website I buy many bulk powders from, carries Broccoli sprouting Seeds.

I bought them and am soaking them now, and they should start sprouting in a couple of days.

More to follow.

FWIW - my experience with Jarrow supplements has been very, very good, and I see them as a provider of high quality/cost effective products.

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
placebo for sure, there is no supplement that will lower myostatin. they dont even have pharmaceutical drugs that will do that yet
thats not true, many drugs have been shown to do that (clen, AAS) as welll as creatine and just recently the active isomer of the beta blocker pindolol

none of these are target specific for myostatin though

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Mountain Rose Herbs, a website I buy many bulk powders from, carries Broccoli sprouting Seeds.

I bought them and am soaking them now, and they should start sprouting in a couple of days.

More to follow.

FWIW - my experience with Jarrow supplements has been very, very good, and I see them as a provider of high quality/cost effective products.
you need the johns hopkins seeds from Caudill Sprouting. They were engineered to be high in sulforaphane precursor

Markos4

Awards
thats not true, many drugs have been shown to do that (clen, AAS) as welll as creatine and just recently the active isomer of the beta blocker pindolol

Creatine decreases myostatin?? I don't believe it..

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Creatine decreases myostatin?? I don't believe it..
REsistance exercise decreases myostatin and resistance exercise combined with creatine reduces it even more. you need to take myostatin into perspective - many things which help promote muscle mass effect a variety of signalling molecules to some extent. Its different than dramatic pharmaceutical reduction or induction of one of those molecules though

Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2010 Apr 12;317(1-2):25-30. doi: 10.1016/j.mce.2009.12.019. Epub 2009 Dec 22.
Effects of oral creatine and resistance training on serum myostatin and GASP-1.
Saremi A, Gharakhanloo R, Sharghi S, Gharaati MR, Larijani B, Omidfar K.
Source
Department of Sport Science, Arak University, Arak, Iran.
Abstract
Myostatin is a catabolic regulator of skeletal muscle mass. The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of resistance training for 8 weeks in conjunction with creatine supplementation on muscle strength, lean body mass, and serum levels of myostatin and growth and differentiation factor-associated serum protein-1 (GASP-1). In a double-blinded design 27 healthy male subjects (23.42+/-2.2 years) were assigned to control (CON), resistance training+placebo (RT+PL) and resistance training+creatine supplementation (RT+CR) groups. The protocol consisted of 3 days per week of training for 8 weeks, each session including three sets of 8-10 repetitions at 60-70% of 1 RM for whole-body exercise. Blood sampling, muscular strength testing and body composition analysis (full body DEXA) were performed at 0, 4th and 8th weeks. Myostatin and GASP-1 was measured. Resistance training caused significant decrease in serum levels of myostatin and increase in that of GASP-1. Creatine supplementation in conjunction with resistance training lead to greater decreases in serum myostatin (p<0.05), but had not additional effect on GASP-1 (p>0.05). The effects of resistance training on serum levels of myostatin and GASP-1, may explain the increased muscle mass that is amplified by creatine supplementation.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Glad to see your pretty face here again PA. How is the new new Clearshot coming along?

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
REsistance exercise decreases myostatin and resistance exercise combined with creatine reduces it even more. you need to take myostatin into perspective - many things which help promote muscle mass effect a variety of signalling molecules to some extent. Its different than dramatic pharmaceutical reduction or induction of one of those molecules though

Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2010 Apr 12;317(1-2):25-30. doi: 10.1016/j.mce.2009.12.019. Epub 2009 Dec 22.
Effects of oral creatine and resistance training on serum myostatin and GASP-1.
Saremi A, Gharakhanloo R, Sharghi S, Gharaati MR, Larijani B, Omidfar K.
Source
Department of Sport Science, Arak University, Arak, Iran.
Abstract
Myostatin is a catabolic regulator of skeletal muscle mass. The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of resistance training for 8 weeks in conjunction with creatine supplementation on muscle strength, lean body mass, and serum levels of myostatin and growth and differentiation factor-associated serum protein-1 (GASP-1). In a double-blinded design 27 healthy male subjects (23.42+/-2.2 years) were assigned to control (CON), resistance training+placebo (RT+PL) and resistance training+creatine supplementation (RT+CR) groups. The protocol consisted of 3 days per week of training for 8 weeks, each session including three sets of 8-10 repetitions at 60-70% of 1 RM for whole-body exercise. Blood sampling, muscular strength testing and body composition analysis (full body DEXA) were performed at 0, 4th and 8th weeks. Myostatin and GASP-1 was measured. Resistance training caused significant decrease in serum levels of myostatin and increase in that of GASP-1. Creatine supplementation in conjunction with resistance training lead to greater decreases in serum myostatin (p<0.05), but had not additional effect on GASP-1 (p>0.05). The effects of resistance training on serum levels of myostatin and GASP-1, may explain the increased muscle mass that is amplified by creatine supplementation.
What about stat3 Inhibitors?

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards

exactly my point, nothing that targets it specifically

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
exactly my point, nothing that targets it specifically
most anabolic drugs effect a variety of systems so it makes me wonder if a drug that just targets myostatin would be so great. Unless it just really knocked it out

Vj63

Banned
Awards
I have researched this way more than any of you guys so trust me when i say the way to go is to buy this from the store and try to eat a package a day
I take offense to this this statement.
I have spent at least 10 minutes, if not 15 scouring the research on this matter bro.

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
I take offense to this this statement.
I have spent at least 10 minutes, if not 15 scouring the research on this matter bro.
well then you must be second most well versed

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Some years ago there was a company that was selling standardized high sulforaphane broccoli seeds for sprouting. I used to buy these to grow my own broccoli sprouts but I can't find this company or their website anymore.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
Some years ago there was a company that was selling standardized high sulforaphane broccoli seeds for sprouting. I used to buy these bad grow my own broccoli sprouts but I can't find this company or their website anymore.
did you notice anything from taking them?

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Some years ago there was a company that was selling standardized high sulforaphane broccoli seeds for sprouting. I used to buy these bad grow my own broccoli sprouts but I can't find this company or their website anymore.
Do tell, do tell

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
at that time I was eating that for its health benefit. i didn't even know it could have any effect on myostatin. i may need try it again. but first i have to find proper seeds. i red not all seeds will grow sprouts with same sulfuraphane content.

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Some years ago there was a company that was selling standardized high sulforaphane broccoli seeds for sprouting. I used to buy these to grow my own broccoli sprouts but I can't find this company or their website anymore.
caudill