Suggestions for maintaining chest with rotator injury???

Bnbabt611

Awards
I have had acromioplasty, rotator cuff repair, and acl repair so I can give you my insight.
The acromioplasty by itself is a breeze; I had this done when I was younger and the basically it was a sling for a few days (maybe wed- sun), and then 2 weeks off from the gym, and then right back at it. There is a good chance you may have a little more damage in there if they open you up so that is best case scenario.
I just had surgery for a torn rotator cuff (1.5cm supraspinatus full-thickness tear to be exact). I initially tore it about 6 years ago, but it was just a small tear and I didn't lose any strength. This past March, I tore it completely during incline dumbbell presses and MRI confirmed I tore it completely. I didn't get surgery right away because summer was starting. It hurt like hell for about the first month but I just worked around it. By beginning of May (~6weeks later) the pain wasn't bad at all. However, I couldn't do any bench, dumbbell , incline for chest--some of this I had already eliminated due to tearing my pec major about 10 years ago. I maintained all of my size by training everything else and keeping my chest workout to a boat load of pushups using every angle possible (added these in 2x/week); cable crossovers; dumbbell pullovers; and chair dips--basically a lot of indirect work. I maintained this from the original tear in March until the surgery last week (november). I did jump on HGH in May and ran ~4iu/day since. I will continue to run that during my recovery.
My shoulder actually felt really good before surgery and I even contemplated skipping the surgery. Fortunately I didn't because the ortho said the tear was bigger than expected and I could have really damaged it even more if I would have left it. Rotator cuff surgery recovery isn't like an ACL tear. ACL tears are all basically the same- the ligament is replaced and then recovery begins. For a rotator cuff, the quality, size, and type of tear, and even age of person make every rc repair a little different and this affects the recovery. If you leave a tear go for a long time, not only can it get worse, but the tendon retracts and the tissue quality degrades which makes repairs more difficult and recovery longer. For me, my tissue was good, it didn't retract and everything should heal smoothly.
So for my rotator cuff recovery:
I am 1 week out; I stopped the pain killers 4 days after surgery and started driving. I went back to the gym the same day and have worked out the last 5 days. I do cardio everyday; and rotate training legs, and push and then pull on my non-surgical side without any pain really. I did buy a different sling from amazon that really fastens my arm down, but I honestly feel great...much better than I expected only 1 week out from the repair. I expect to start full on therapy at 6 weeks post-op, move into full body light training at 3 months post-op; and then unrestricted training at 5 -6 months post-op. As of right now for my operated arm, the doc said I can do pendulum swings by bending over and allowing my arm to move a maximum of 1 ft from the body. Also, he said I can do 5lb dumbbell curls and very light cable tricep extensions although I figure I will wait on those for now. I can leave the sling off and use my hand as long as my elbow stays close to the side of my body also.
As far as the shoulder atrophying like the leg after an acl tear, I do expect that to happen. When I had my pec repaired, I wore a sling for 6 weeks and it the operated side was super skinny. It comes back quick though and I've read that training the non-operated side helps maintain muscle on the operated side, plus I am hoping the GH helps maintain my body composition. Hopefully this helps answer your questions. If the pain is affecting your quality of life and the doctor recommends surgery, I say go for it.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have had acromioplasty, rotator cuff repair, and acl repair so I can give you my insight.
The acromioplasty by itself is a breeze; I had this done when I was younger and the basically it was a sling for a few days (maybe wed- sun), and then 2 weeks off from the gym, and then right back at it. There is a good chance you may have a little more damage in there if they open you up so that is best case scenario.
I just had surgery for a torn rotator cuff (1.5cm supraspinatus full-thickness tear to be exact). I initially tore it about 6 years ago, but it was just a small tear and I didn't lose any strength. This past March, I tore it completely during incline dumbbell presses and MRI confirmed I tore it completely. I didn't get surgery right away because summer was starting. It hurt like hell for about the first month but I just worked around it. By beginning of May (~6weeks later) the pain wasn't bad at all. However, I couldn't do any bench, dumbbell , incline for chest--some of this I had already eliminated due to tearing my pec major about 10 years ago. I maintained all of my size by training everything else and keeping my chest workout to a boat load of pushups using every angle possible (added these in 2x/week); cable crossovers; dumbbell pullovers; and chair dips--basically a lot of indirect work. I maintained this from the original tear in March until the surgery last week (november). I did jump on HGH in May and ran ~4iu/day since. I will continue to run that during my recovery.
My shoulder actually felt really good before surgery and I even contemplated skipping the surgery. Fortunately I didn't because the ortho said the tear was bigger than expected and I could have really damaged it even more if I would have left it. Rotator cuff surgery recovery isn't like an ACL tear. ACL tears are all basically the same- the ligament is replaced and then recovery begins. For a rotator cuff, the quality, size, and type of tear, and even age of person make every rc repair a little different and this affects the recovery. If you leave a tear go for a long time, not only can it get worse, but the tendon retracts and the tissue quality degrades which makes repairs more difficult and recovery longer. For me, my tissue was good, it didn't retract and everything should heal smoothly.
I am 1 week out; I stopped the pain killers 4 days after surgery and started driving. I went back to the gym the same day and have worked out the last 5 days. I do cardio everyday; and rotate training legs, and push and then pull on my non-surgical side without any pain really. I did buy a different sling from amazon that really fastens my arm down, but I honestly feel great...much better than I expected only 1 week out from the repair. I expect to start full on therapy at 6 weeks post-op, move into full body light training at 3 months post-op; and then unrestricted training at 5 -6 months post-op. As of right now for my operated arm, the doc said I can do pendulum swings by bending over and allowing my arm to move a maximum of 1 ft from the body. Also, he said I can do 5lb dumbbell curls and very light cable tricep extensions although I figure I will wait on those for now. I can leave the sling off and use my hand as long as my elbow stays close to the side of my body also.
As far as the shoulder atrophying like the leg after an acl tear, I do expect that to happen. When I had my pec repaired, I wore a sling for 6 weeks and it the operated side was super skinny. It comes back quick though and I've read that training the non-operated side helps maintain muscle on the operated side, plus I am hoping the GH helps maintain my body composition. Hopefully this helps answer your questions. If the pain is affecting your quality of life and the doctor recommends surgery, I say go for it.
Awesome anecdotal info. Thanks bro.

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Thanks bro. That explains a lot for me actually. Cause I originally tore mine a few years ago and again a couple months ago. And I can't move my right arm like I can my left. The ROM just isn't possible and it feels super tight at certain angles.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Had my shoulder scope done today. No tears!!!! They did an acromioplasty to free up the impingement. I have some scope pics I'll post later that show the fraying. I will have at least 2 weeks of restrictions and probably a month or more of PT. I wanna give a big thank you to everyone for lending their support and sharing their tips and experiences. You rock AM community:bigok:

jh1

jh1

Awards
  • Established
Had my shoulder scope done today. No tears!!!! They did an acromioplasty to free up the impingement. I have some scope pics I'll post later that show the fraying. I will have at least 2 weeks of restrictions and probably a month or more of PT. I wanna give a big thank you to everyone for lending their support and sharing their tips and experiences. You rock AM community:bigok:
Glad to hear you didn't have a cuff tear! Wish you a speedy recovery. You'll be back at it in no time.

Sparkss

Sparkss

Awards
  • Established
Glad to hear you didn't have a cuff tear! Wish you a speedy recovery. You'll be back at it in no time.
Ditto. It is always nice to get good news from a surgeon :)

sinewave3

sinewave3

Awards
  • Established
Great thread! I just got all caught up.

My right shoulder started killing me in July 2015. Toughed it out till Jan 2016 when I was strength tested and diagnosed with impingement and a rear delt imbalance.

Did the whole PT thing 2x a week for 2 or 2 and a half months then once a week for another month. Religiously did my PT exercises. Felt better and got cleared to hit the weights again. A few months ago my lest one starts to have the same tightness and pain the right one had!

Still taking it easy 1.5 years later. Good bye 225 bench...

Started looking into posture and ergonomics, think that's a big factor.

Bnbabt611

Awards
That's great news! You will be back in the gym in no time with some peace of mind knowing you took care of a nagging injury.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's great news! You will be back in the gym in no time with some peace of mind knowing you took care of a nagging injury.
Yes, it feels good to know I was proactive and got it fixed before having a catastrophic tear. I plan to do PT religiously and to really focus on proper form and mechanics before tackling big weights again.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
IMG_0019.JPG

Here's a pic showing the damage inside the rotator caused by the impingement. As you can see there is some serious fraying and inflammation. Hence, the frequent pain.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's great news! 2 months from now you will be so glad you did it. I hoping for the same outcome on mine. Just got to build up that HST account a little higher.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
View attachment 142324

Here's a pic showing the damage inside the rotator caused by the impingement. As you can see there is some serious fraying and inflammation. Hence, the frequent pain.
Thanks for posting. Pick is worth a thousand words. You had a lot of fraying.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There are braces to wear while you sleep. Rehab exercises on the Net. DBs instead of barbell. Decline bench instead of bench.

CCV3

CCV3

Awards
  • Established
I know I am pulling up an old thread, but just to chime in, I can get away with hitting decline chest (Hammer, cables, no free weights, etc.) every other week and that has held my chest formation for months. Given my upper pecs are losing depth, there is nothing I can do about that as flat and incline are completely out of the question right now.

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
I have a torn labrum and slightly torn right rotator. Doing the different band work (internal/external) really does help. I would also recommend not going heavy with over head press. When it comes to chest development doing flies are ok but keep it controlled. When doing presses with angle your hands in as if you were on a hammer strength. Also drop your elbows slightly don't have them pointed straight out. This will help isolate the chest better and give you better flexion. Having elbows straight out will put more strain on the rotators.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My ac joint finally healed. Took one year. did not lose and did not gain any in one year.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
well I will be damned. Just injured my AC joint on BP. last rep, last set of a heavy one. Had a spotter. Went low and got out of position on the push up. Bar moved forward and I could hear the cartilage grinding. Then the spotter came in.

Oh well, three more months maybe. Hopefully not six.

What a mess.

CCV3

CCV3

Awards
  • Established
Don't worry about it too much.

Benching for 15 years, do I really need to bench more?
There are PLENTY of better ways to make my chest strong without putting my shoulder at risk.

I haven't bench pressed for 6 months and I really don't care if I even bench again.

I meet plenty of old timers who ditched the bench press long ago.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have to laugh that for a while I will have to use my GFs dumbbells for movements involving the ac joint.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Back up to my normal weight in DBs. I took off for exactly five weeks. plus light weight therapy, etc.

Thank goodness. You know one severe injury and that ends our careers as action heroes.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I coudnt do anything for a while

you could try pec dec but obviously if it hurts stop