Study says to avoid caffeine if you have family heart disease history.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
"Coffee could deliver more of a jolt than you'd expect. Swiss scientists recently determined that caffeine decreases bloodflow to the heart during exercise by as much as 39 percent. Normally, as a person's activity level increases, coronary arteries expand to let in more oxygen-carrying blood.

But that process was inhibited when study participants consumed 200 milligrams of caffeine -- the amount in 2 cups of coffee -- about an hour before working out. Although the caffeine didn't harm the healthy study participants, lead researcher Philipp Kaufmann, M.D., suggests avoiding it for 4 to 5 hours before exercise if you have a family history of heart disease."

-Men's Health

This is kind of disappointing because my grandfather died of a stroke and my dad has had a heart attack. There are so many awesome preworkout products like RPM and JP8 out there. Any thoughts on this?

wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established
i am guessing that blood flow to the heart probably decreased due to the vasoconstriction (blood vessels constrict) properties of caffeine.

If that's the case, perhaps taking vasodilators (Nitric Oxide supps, e.g arginine etc) could help to counter the effects.

I think most pre-WO supps already have a combination of caffeine and arginine. Just looking at the ingredients list that JP8: It has Arginine HCL, Arginine PyroBlahBlah.

Having said that, I know that stims can't be good for my heart. All that pounding in my chest. And the 'high' that I get from my stims. It feels too good to be good for me.

(BTW, pls note that I am not a medical doctor, and all that I know is basically learnt from AM) :)

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
i am guessing that blood flow to the heart probably decreased due to the vasoconstriction (blood vessels constrict) properties of caffeine.

If that's the case, perhaps taking vasodilators (Nitric Oxide supps, e.g arginine etc) could help to counter the effects.

I think most pre-WO supps already have a combination of caffeine and arginine. Just looking at the ingredients list that JP8: It has Arginine HCL, Arginine PyroBlahBlah.

Having said that, I know that stims can't be good for my heart. All that pounding in my chest. And the 'high' that I get from my stims. It feels too good to be good for me.

(BTW, pls note that I am not a medical doctor, and all that I know is basically learnt from AM) :)
Yeah. The pounding in my chest doesn't feel natural. As much as I LOOOVE the energy and the high I don't want to risk my health in the long term.