Starting Over

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Absolutely a big fat nothing to report. Will Los Angeles' gyms open this year? I'm starting to doubt it.
Right now, Covid is "widespread."
I really thought that after the U.S. Presidential Election, a vaccine would appear, and gyms would reopen, but no such luck.
I was contacted by somebody to test Astrazenica's vaccine, but it is a two hour drive to the facility so doesn't seem worth the hassle.

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
More of nothing to report. The indoor gyms in L.A. are still closed.
I think I read somewhere that a whopping 39 cases in San Diego were linked to people using indoor gyms.
Several of my friends either have the virus or are recovering.
I think it will be four or five months until I'm eligible to receive a vaccine.
I would not be surprised that they keep the gyms closed even after we're vaccinated.

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I really have my hopes up that the indoor gyms in L.A. will be opening in a month or so.
However, my lease is almost up and I'm thinking of moving to San Diego.
I have to laugh. I left Los Angeles back in the 90's because of the earthquakes and riots.
The place was fairly quiet in my absence. Now that I'm back, it's more earthquakes and riots, but with the addition of fires and a pandemic lockdown. It's a nice place to visit, but it's just not working out for me. The job market has tanked, but that's probably the case everywhere else as well. I heard Texas is getting back to normal though.

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Supposedly, my gym will be re-opening tomorrow. However, as of yet, they have no slots to sign up for.
I'm very excited about going back to the gym!!
Things are looking up.
I just need to get a vaccine once they are available here.

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Good news! The gym is open AND I got my first covid vaccine.
I expect to be back in the gym by May, assuming there isn't another surge and they shut everything down again.

Things are looking up!

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
With the gym open, and my 2nd vaccine right around the corner, I'm planning my return to the gym:

In addition to WPI, I'm adding 5g of CEE to my daily supplements.
My current supplements are:
1 Centrum Silver
2000 mg Salmon oil, split
1000 mg Magnesium oxide, split
200 mg Potassium (from gluconate), split
630 mg Calcium Citrate + D3 (12.5 mcg)
3000 mg NAC, split

I have my doubts that such a tiny amount of Potassium actually makes a difference, but I always seem to come up low on potassium when I have bloodwork done. Speaking of which, I plan on having bloodwork done by July.

My second vaccine should be coming up in about another week.
I just wish I had more hours in the day.
Starting in June, I will be spending a lot of hours in the gym.
Right now, I have too much homework.

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I got the results of my bloodwork back today.
Cholesterol 154; HDL 46; LDL 88; Triglycerides 108.
My potassium was fine for a change: 4.1 mmol/L. My calcium was good too: 9.1 mg/dL
I did not notice any magnesium readings. Every time I've been in the hospital, they check that, but not here.
My total protein was 7.0 g/dL so it looks like the Greek yogurt is paying off.
My liver enzymes AST was 16 and ALT was 18. I cut back on my Tylenol, and added NAC, so that seemed to help.
My test level was 431 which is okay.

I'll be done with my computer classes in a couple of weeks, then I can start living at the gym again.

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I've been going to the gym for about a week now.
Mostly, I've just been trying to get a feel for the various machines. I haven't tracked any of my workouts yet.
The creatine ethyl ester HCl tastes pretty awful. I mix it with Crystal Lite, but it still tastes like a mixture of salt and battery acid. My weight popped up several pounds after starting drinking it.
We still have to wear masks at the gym. I'm not sure how long this is going to go on. I mistakenly thought that once I was fully vaccinated, I wouldn't have to wear a mask anymore.
So far, the gym isn't particularly busy.
Yeah, it's great that the gym is finally opened, after being shut down for the past year.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Does anybody use a weightlifting app to help them train?
I have an old iPad, and I think it would be better than carying around a paper pad when I exercise, if I had the right software.
I am in the process of digging out my pre-pandemic workout to see where I stand.
I look at the equipment, and remember back from 10 years ago when I could max out many of the selectorized machines and I look what I'm doing now, and it's tough. Where I once was targeting a 300 pound bench press, I'm not targeting 150.
-TT

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Does anybody use a weightlifting app to help them train?
I have an old iPad, and I think it would be better than carying around a paper pad when I exercise, if I had the right software.
I am in the process of digging out my pre-pandemic workout to see where I stand.
I look at the equipment, and remember back from 10 years ago when I could max out many of the selectorized machines and I look what I'm doing now, and it's tough. Where I once was targeting a 300 pound bench press, I'm not targeting 150.
-TT
I use an app for 5/3/1 makes it much easier to keep track of progression

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Ultimate531 I’ve tried many and this is my favorite. Not sure of your training style but mine is strength based

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I started adding legs to my workout. Mostly right now, I'm just trying to figure out how much weight, and how many sets.
One bad thing about my gym, is that all the weights are upstairs. I didn't realalize how hard I worked my legs until I tried going down the stairs. The very next day, going up the stairs was no fun either.

It's somewhat hot and somewhat humid, and I managed to come home from the gym with a mild case of heat exhaustion yesterday. The gym still has all the drinking fountains turned off. I bring a pint of water with me, but it's not enough. I don't like filling my water bottle in the bathroom, but that's the only viable option if I want more water.

Costco stopped carrying WPI, so I switched to ON's WPI/Whey concentrate blend. I also picked up a box of Kirkland protein bars, which are very similar to Quest bars, but at about half the price.

Today will be back and bi's. I plan to start adding in some cardio over the next few weeks.

I stumbled upon Sean Nalewanyj's YouTube videos. He seems like a good guy with plenty of good info.

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I had been without a reliable internet connection for two weeks, but I've replaced my modem and router, and am back online.

At the gym, we went from masks, to no masks, and back to masks again. I think the Under Armour mask is my favorite.

My muscle memory is coming back. About a month ago, I was doing my chest press sets at 155, and now I'm doing them at 190. I'm thinking that 300 pound bench press that I did about 10 years ago, isn't seeming like such an unrealistic goal anymore. Still, the last thing I want to do is injure myself again.

I put off doing leg press, because the Hoist leg press machine was broken. Now that they've fixed it, it's too easy, and I need to go to a plate-loaded machine anyhow. I'm finding that leg press is rough on my heart though.

Instead of doing a push day, a pull day, and a leg day, I've been doing a push day with push legs, and a pull day with pull legs.
My workout week is: Push, pull, off, push, pull, off, off.

Anyhow, things are looking up. I'm feeling a lot more optimistic now.

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I finally got my Polar H10 chest strap to connect to my phone so that I can monitor my heart during my workout.
The H10 has always been somewhat flakey. I wasn't sure to blame the H10 or my phone.

To my surprise, my heart is beating way too fast. During mid-rows, I was seeing peaks of 165 to 180 bpm.
I wasn't expecting to see numbers like that unless I was doing leg press. My heart rate was hitting over 145 just doing curls.
I'm going to try increasing the dose on my beta-blocker and see if that solves the problem.
My doctor doesn't want my heartrate going over 160.

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
By taking an extra 1/2 dose of my beta blocker about an hour before my workout, I am no longer seeing the HR spikes.
The max HR I saw during my last two training sessions was 120 bpm, which is fine by me.

The H10 must have an oddball Bluetooth implementation. All my other Bluetooth devices connect to my phone pretty much instantly. The H10 requires me going through all kinds of gyrations to make it connect, including restarting my phone, and not turing on my Bluetooth until after I start my PolarBeat app running.

I also have an Omron Series 7 Bluetooth blood pressure monitor with a really bad Bluetooth implementation. I'm thinking of replacing it with a newer model, but the device works perfectly fine otherwise.

Next on my list, is obtaining a wrist-based fitness tracker because fiddling with my phone for 5 or 10 minutes each time I go to the gym has gotten really old.

It was back in 2007 when I found out I had a heart problem. One morning, I snapped on my Polar chest strap, and my watch said my heart rate was 145! I thought there was something wrong with the setup, so I disconnected everything, and tried it again.
Same thing happened. The next time it happened, I went to my doctor, who verified my problem, and directed me to go to the hospital emergency room where I was treated for atrial fibrillation and spent four days in the hospital, racking up a $40,000 hospital bill.

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
My classes for the fall semester have started. It's a struggle to get my homework done and still hit the gym four times a week.
I went ahead and got a Polar Vantage V2 to monitor my heart. With my irregular heartbeat, the optical wrist-based monitor does not track very well with the chest-based electrical monitor. For example, my wrist will show 87 bpm, and my chest strap will say 107 bpm. Fortunately, during the watch's training mode, it shuts off the wrist monitor, and listens to the chest strap via Bluetooth. I am very happy so far with the Vantage V2. I just wish it wasn't so darn expensive.

I really need to go back and look at my pre-pandemic training, and compare it to how I'm doing now.
I'm curious to see where I stand. I'm still not happy that we have to wear masks at the gym, despite being vaccinated.

Everything seems to be coming along just fine, except for my chest press. I was doing sets of 190 lbs, and now I have to lighten it up to 170 for the last set. Oddly enough, my dip strength is still increasing. I'm very happy that my medial deltoids are getting stronger too. My shoulders have always been one of my weak points.

If I forget to take my beta blocker before I workout, my heartrate is still spiking at over 200 bpm which is no bueno.

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
It's been really hit and miss with my beta blocker. Some days, I take my beta blocker, and I can't seem to get my heart rate over 130. Other days, my heart rate spikes over 185 and I wonder if there was any metoprolol in the 1/2 pill that I took. Two days ago, I came out of the shower, and couldn't stop sweating. I will be seeing my cardiologist in a couple of weeks.

I'm not a big fan of taking medications, especially beta blockers. About 15 years ago, my doctor prescribed Betapace, also called sotalol, for my atrial fibrillation. I became extremely depressed, and didn't even want to get out of bed on the weekends. Several months later, I began to suspect that the Betapace was the cause of my depression, and I gradually weened myself off the Betapace. I seemed to be fine for about four years, then my heart problems started up again and I had several trips to the emergency room.

The whole situation with my heart has really impacted my ability to exercise strenuously. 15 years ago, I really had to work hard to get my heart rate up to 145. Now, I just walk down the street, and I'm hitting 145. My cardiologist told me to keep my heart rate under 165, so that's what I'm doing.

When I'm not exercising, my heart rate tends to plummet, and then my pacemaker kicks in. I'm coming up on 57 years old now, and I wasn't really expecting to have these problems so soon. My mom's heart problems didn't start until she was 70.

But yeah, other than that, my weight training is coming along, and slowly I'm coming back. I've maxed out the Hoist mid-row machine. I've maxed out the Hoist leg press machine and the calf press machines. I'm not too far from maxing out the Hoist dip machine. I'm just taking it slow and easy, and not doing anymore one-rep-max's.

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Our gym is finally having us show our vaccine cards to get in. We still have to wear our masks though.
I got my 2nd vaccine back in April, and absolutely nobody wanted to see my vaccine card up until now.

It was chest and tri's day today. A couple of months ago, I changed up my routine, and started working more on the fly/rear delt machine. I started seeing some more progress with my chest press. Unfortunately, their fly/rear delt machine was out of service today. Hopefully they'll get it fixed soon. Their Hoist leg press machine was out of service for a full year.

I really felt like I've made a lot of progress since the gym opened up again in June. I still need to bust out the numbers on my computer.

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Last month I moved. The same day I moved, I got sick. About a week later, I sliced a nice 3/4 inch gash in my thumb.
I just finished my finals, it's time to stop making excuses and get back to the gym.

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
For the past month, I have been working out 4 days per week.
For reasons unknown, it seems like my strength is dropping.
It could be the new machines or something else. I really don't know.

I like the new gym, except that the lockers are small. The equipment is newer than the Northridge club.
This 24 Hour Fitness has a lot of Matrix machines. They also have a lot of Hoist selectorized machines.
I haven't ventured to the free weight section yet.

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
It's been a long time since I posted. I've been more than a little embarrassed that my strength seems to be going down.
I'm sure it's because my time at the gym has been going down. I've been keeping my workouts to 45 minutes or less. Before the pandemic, I would spend a couple hours at the gym.

I know its been a few months now, but I'm still not used to the equipment at the new gym. They don't seem to have a dedicated shoulder machine, which means I have to go back to cables or dbs.

I finally have a grill, but have not grilled any chicken yet. Grilled chicken breast with steamed broccoli used to be my goto foods.

I seem to have everything I need. I'm just not doing it.

-TT

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Went back and read a few pages to catch up some. Sounds like it’s time to light the fire on the grill no pun intended

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I'm sorry, folks, but I'm just not doing well right now. 'sorry to let everybody down. :(