Starting Over

jim2509

jim2509

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Sorry to hear about your latest hurdle.....but you will overcome it.

Looks like you are making good headway with the cardio and using 'Swedish Speedplay' intervals is a fantastic way to get fitter. Have a look at Greg Doucettes You Tube stuff...he covers lots of topics and he's slightly mad which makes its worthwhile.

Defintately keep a training diary and this time next year you will be startled by the progress you will have made if consistent.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Putting the workout on hold for a couple days while the firefighters put out the fire. The fire's not far from the gym, and the air is just terrible right now. I went outside this morning, and started coughing.
I really like the Greg Doucettes videos.
Yeah, it's funny. I lived in L.A. 30 years ago. We had earthquakes, fires, and riots. I come back... we have earthquakes and fires. I'm waiting for the riots. It'll be just like old times. 😅
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Nothing new to report. I am just getting over back to back colds.
I've only been to the gym 4 times in the past 2 weeks.
I'm on the mend and plan to be back at it again this week.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Hit a major milestone for myself. I was able to jog for 30 minutes on the treadmill, non-stop, 4 mph.
Six months ago, I was riding in ambulances, being pushed in wheelchairs, and sitting in a hospital bed the rest of the time. I got my pacemaker, and started feeling better.
I've made a lot of progress, but I don't think I'm going to hit my goal of maxing out any machines by the end of the year. I guess that will be my next major milestone.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Still doing the 2 mile jogs on the treadmill non-stop.
I don't seem to be making any progress with the legs.
I'll know more as I track my sets. I'm writing everything down now.
I switched to a different rowing machine the other day, and was really happy with myself until I realized it was a 2 to 1 lever, and I was only pulling half the weight I do on the other machine.
I'm still taking it slow and steady so I don't injure myself.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
It was an exciting day at the gym. A fight broke out in the squat rack.
I may have been taking it a little too slow and steady with my leg extensions.
I wasn't moving up my weight, because of the burn I would get after 8 reps.
As it turns out, if I do 115, 150, or 175, they all burn after 8 reps.
I hope everybody had a nice Thanksgiving.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Right now, I'm in the process of setting up a spreadsheet to track my workouts and my progress.
I used to have a nifty statistics program called "minitab" but the license is $1795 now. No thanks!
I'll just figure out how to use whatever graphing or analysis is built in to Excel.
Typically, I do one warm-up set, followed by three regular sets. I may need to increase this a bit.
Even though I rest 2 minutes between upper body sets, and 3 minutes between legs, my strength is still falling off pretty quickly. Well, back to the spreadsheet...
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Things are coming along and I'm definitely progressing.
I'm now resting 3 minutes between sets, and it's helping.
As for my goal of maxing out the leg machines, I'm not there yet.
Glute: 155/170; Abduction: 250/260; Adduction: 250/260; Extension: 160/260; Curl140/260.
I think I can hit the fist 3, but leg curl is going to take me a while, if I am able to max it out at all.
Leg extension is a tricky one. I don't want to ruin my knee, so I'm taking it slow and steady.
The 3 minute rest between sets is allowing me to lift more weight and do more reps on subsequent sets.
Anyhow, I think I made a lot of good progress over the past 6 months, and look forward to making even more progress this coming year.
-TT

Harishusain

Harishusain

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I don't have a budget right now for any supplements to speak of.
Look into KSM 66 powder. Shouldn't set you back by much. All the best on your path back to glory! And to reiterate what everyone else has already said, too soon to dive into hormones IMO I'd give it a year or more being back in the game before considering it, you'll need a considerably bigger budget to roll with a cycle anyway so probably best left for a more convenient time in the future :)

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
My big purchase lately, was a jar of BCAA powder, unflavored. My only other supplements are a multivitimin, salmon oil, glucosamine/MSM, magnesium, potassium, and a scoop of WPI after my workout. As per my nutrition class, I take a vitamin E after I work out, as an anti-oxidant. A few years back, I also took super cissus. Until today, I had never heard of KSM 66, so thanks for the tip.
Right now, I'm making good progress. I really enjoy Greg Doucette's videos. I've changed up my workout as a direct result of his teachings, and am looking forward to a having a good year.
I wish everybody a successful year to come as well.
-TT

Dutch guy in asia

Dutch guy in asia

Awards
My big purchase lately, was a jar of BCAA powder, unflavored. My only other supplements are a multivitimin, salmon oil, glucosamine/MSM, magnesium, potassium, and a scoop of WPI after my workout. As per my nutrition class, I take a vitamin E after I work out, as an anti-oxidant. A few years back, I also took super cissus. Until today, I had never heard of KSM 66, so thanks for the tip.
Right now, I'm making good progress. I really enjoy Greg Doucette's videos. I've changed up my workout as a direct result of his teachings, and am looking forward to a having a good year.
I wish everybody a successful year to come as well.
-TT
Like you I changed things in 2011. The results are spectacular. I'm 45 and in the best shape ever. Bigger leaner and better then most.

I liked reading part of your oddesy. Keep it up and have a good year. Now for the first time in 8 years building muscle not leaning out. Though I am big and muscular. (My body type) I never did any bulk.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I did pretty well for the first couple of weeks of January, then I came down with a cold.
I take my blood pressure almost every day, and I watched it jump 20 points as I started taking Xyzal and NyQuil.
My strength dropped off a bit on a couple of exercises while I struggled with fatigue issues. I think I'm over the hump now, and am starting to feel better.
My workout data is going to get messed up a bit, as I decided to change gyms today. It was taking me way too long to get to my gym in Chatsworth and back. Now I'll be working out much closer to home.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Yes, changing gyms is a bit of a mess. It wouldn't be such a big deal if I had just been working out with free weights, but I've been pretty much exclusively using the selectorized machines since June.
To my surprise, different versions of machines from the same manufacturer don't even match up. For example, I was doing 160 pound leg extensions on a Life Fitness Insignia series equipment. Now I'm doing 190 pound leg extensions on some older Life Fitness at the new gym. I know I didn't just magically increase my leg strength that much in 3 days.
Some of their treadmills either need some work. I was jogging on one and the force of my foot coming down on the belt stopped it, and I almost fell. I don't usually use Precor treadmills, but that's what this place has.
I'll be back at the other gym tomorrow, to cancel my membership. As much as I liked the place, the commute back and forth is wasting too much of my time.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
'Still getting used to the new gym. Sometimes I wonder why some of these companies even bother to put the number of pounds you're supposedly lifting on the machine, when it can't possibly be right. My mid-row just jumped from 160 pounds on the LifeFitness to 237 pounds on the Hoist? Really? On the cable row, it's 115 pounds.
My nemesis, the Hoist selectorized chest press machine is at the new gym. That's the machine I injured myself on back in 2012, showing off. I'm very careful with this one especially. I'm only pushing 160 pounds where I once pushed about 300.
I'm been doing really well this year so far, except for my cardio. I told myself I'd be doing cardio a good four times a week, and I have not. I was jogging 3 miles per day for a while, then my right calf muscle knotted up and I stayed off it for a few days. I caught a cold, then haven't done any cardio since.
My strength took a dip yesterday. I had to drop 10% on my weights. Don't know why. The last time something like this happened, a came down with a nasty cold that hung on for weeks.
-TT

Dutch guy in asia

Dutch guy in asia

Awards
I hate cardio too. I always say I will but often dont.

I wonder why your so worried about weights. I mean once you figure out what is heavy you can use that.

The only times I worry about weights is when I do free weights.

Anyway good luck with your training.

Myself I'm a bit pissed off just recovered from injury on my right shoulder now my other one is messed up.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I hate cardio too. I always say I will but often dont.
I wonder why your so worried about weights. I mean once you figure out what is heavy you can use that.
The only times I worry about weights is when I do free weights.
Anyway good luck with your training.
Myself I'm a bit pissed off just recovered from injury on my right shoulder now my other one is messed up.
I keep track of the weight I use so I don't waste time reinventing the wheel, and also to avoid injury by putting on too much weight. The Hoist mid-row machine is now useless because as of yesterday I figured out that even doing the whole stack of allegedly 259 pounds is too light. I'm guessing the true weight is more like 130, and I need about 150.
It's just a cautious process I'm going through right now to get the right weight and not hurt myself on the new equipment.
I'll have it all figured out in another week, hopefully.
I still don't know what's going on with my right calf. It's a full inch larger in circumference than my left one, and still hurts for no good reason. I haven't done any jogging in a week now. I am just using a stationary bike for my warm-up.
Total travel time to and from gym now is about an hour now. Previously, it was 3 or more hours, so it would take a good 5 hours out of my day just to work out. Big improvement.
-TT

Dutch guy in asia

Dutch guy in asia

Awards
I keep track of the weight I use so I don't waste time reinventing the wheel, and also to avoid injury by putting on too much weight. The Hoist mid-row machine is now useless because as of yesterday I figured out that even doing the whole stack of allegedly 259 pounds is too light. I'm guessing the true weight is more like 130, and I need about 150.
It's just a cautious process I'm going through right now to get the right weight and not hurt myself on the new equipment.
I'll have it all figured out in another week, hopefully.
I still don't know what's going on with my right calf. It's a full inch larger in circumference than my left one, and still hurts for no good reason. I haven't done any jogging in a week now. I am just using a stationary bike for my warm-up.
Total travel time to and from gym now is about an hour now. Previously, it was 3 or more hours, so it would take a good 5 hours out of my day just to work out. Big improvement.
-TT
Sure I understand I keep track of weight too as not to injure myself and track progression.

My point was more that it would not take too long to get used to the new machines and knowing the weights.

With machines it's a bit harder then with free weights that is why I prefer free weights where possible.

Hard for legs and back ect.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
With all the rain and nonsense going on, I decided to take a four day deload.
I came back to the gym today, and it seemed like about 2/3 the people were gone. Virtually nobody was doing cardio.
I did my normal push day routine... Chest press, shoulder raise, dips, and flys. My chest strength seemed to go up.
For most of last month, I felt like garbage. I didn't want to do much of anything. I didn't want to go anywhere, but I continued to go to the gym. I seem to be snapping out of it now.
On the way home, I stopped by the store. In addition to having no toilet paper, Clorox wipes, Lysol, or hand sanitizer, now my store is running out of basic food. There were no eggs, no potatoes, virtually no meat, and no carrots. Crazy!
Hopefully people will come to their senses, the stores will re-stock, and life will go on.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Well, our mayor has decided to shut down all gyms until the end of the month, in light of the Coronavirus.
Of course, I don't think the gym is going to give me back half of my monthly dues.
I was wondering if anybody else, outside of Los Angeles was seeing this?
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Oh well, in light of all this coronavirus stuff, I guess I'll just have to get creative.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Pushups, pullups, grocery bag shoulder raises...
I really thought this thing would be over by now.
I hope everybody else is hanging in there.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Last week, I power walked up to the grocery store, about three and a half miles each way. They STILL have no toilet paper.
I got a couple bottles of Bolt24 to try out. I think I'll stick to either Propel or Gatorade Zero.
The grocery bag shoulder raises must be working, because I'm getting pretty sore from doing them.
I completely forgot about squats. and lunges Oops!
Push-ups don't seem to be doing a thing. I am going to try and load a backpack full of books and see if that helps.
I'm glad to see other states are opening things up. I figure California will be the last.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
My Fit Simplify resistance bands arrived in the mail. They come in a set of 5 and according to the brochure, they provide the following resistance ranges: 2-4, 6-8, 10-12, 15-20, and 25-30. They're essentially springs so they should be rated as pounds per unit length stretched. This should be an improvement over lifting bags of groceries.
Hopefully the gyms will be opening before August.
Has anybody's gym re-opened yet?
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I was so excited to find that my gym re-opened, until I read that I have to make reservations, and that I can only workout for 1 hour.
Anybody else experiencing similar BS?

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I was so excited to find that my gym re-opened, until I read that I have to make reservations, and that I can only workout for 1 hour.
Anybody else experiencing similar BS?
That's exactly the same scenario at my gym.. it sucks, but it's better than not being open at all.. Our gym owners are fairly laxed on the 1 hour rule.. if i want to do 30 minutes of cardio, they're not going to kick me out.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I made an appointment for 12:30 today, using the 24Go app on my phone.
I got there at 12:15 and there were 3 of us standing outside the gym, wondering why the doors were locked.
One of the staff members was coming in to work and told us that they won't unlock the doors until 12:30 to let us in.
She called her supervisor, and somebody came and let her in, then we stood there waiting until 12:30
At 12:30, one of the guys unlocked the door, then had us show him our phones, where we had checked in to our appointment electronically. The gym filled up quickly.
I tried working out with my mask, and it just wasn't happening. I felt like I was going to pass out.
To further aggravate my situation, all the drinking fountains were shut down. The sinks in the bathroom only put out warm water. I'll bring twice as much water next time. I went through my 16 oz bottle in no time but didn't want to refill it warm water.
I pulled my mask down after the second set, and continued with my workout. Today was back and bi's.
I only got 3 exercises done today. I think I could do 4 if I come down there already dressed to work out.
The grocery bags and rubber bands were no substitute for the gym. My strength went down a good 20%.
I think I'll go back tomorrow and try the legs, then go back on Friday for chest, tri's and shoulders.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Same deal with the check-in today. I reserved an hour the day before, showed up 15 minutes early, and checked-in with my phone. I wonder how long this will go on. I can't even sign up for a second session that day.
Leg day today. A quick 2 minute warm up on the stationary bike, then leg press, followed by leg curl, and then the leg extension machine was in use, so I did some mid rows while I waited.
After my rowing, I hit the leg extensions, and it was time to go. Usually I do abductors and adductors on leg day, but there just isn't enough time. I didn't realize how tired my legs were, until I tried walking down the stairs.
Tomorrow will be chest and tri's. Maybe I'll just do cardio on Saturday.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Yesterday's chest, shoulder, and tri's workout went great. I took it slow and easy.
However, my brachioradiali are pretty tender from Wednesday's workout.
Also, while going up the stairs, I did something to my right leg and could barely walk last night.
Anyhow, in light of my leg problems, I will not be jogging today. I'll start back in with the back and bi's workout Sunday.
The only annoying thing yesterday was people walking off with the spray bottles to sanitize equipment and then keeping it.
24 Hour Fitness here is really strict on their time-slots. I had female staff invading the men's locker room at about 2 minutes before noon kickout time.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Yesterday's back and bi's workout went great. I have no abnormal soreness today.
I'm cutting down my rest between sets from 3 minutes to 2, just so I can squeeze in another exercise before they kick me out.
I can get four exercises in if I don't have to wait on anybody.
Sunday was fantastic. The place was nearly empty. I really was not expecting that.
My endurance is way down. Saturday was supposed to be my cardio day, but I skipped it because of my leg problem.
I'll be working on legs later today, and hopefully I don't try and do anything stupid that would result in injury.
No hoof, no horse.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
The leg workout went well.
Leg press, leg extension, adductors, and leg curls. I ran out of time to get to the abductors.
I feel like I'm running into endurance issues. A lack of cardio? My beta blockers? My crummy heart?
Once again, I had trouble making it down the stairs after my workout.
When I got home, I dusted off my big bag of WPI.
I think it's time to tighten up my diet, and stop complaining that Calorie King doesn't make a program for the PC anymore.
Set up my workout for tomorrow: Chest and Tri's.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
With Coronavirus cases going through the roof, our gym is now requiring gloves when you work out.
Yesterday, they handed out pairs of blue nitrile disposable gloves to everybody, but they told us to keep them and use them again. I'll use these until I can buy a box and have a fresh pair for each workout.
I'm only able to get in a good 3 exercises before I have to leave. I went back to the full 3 minutes between sets.
Today will be chest, shoulders, and tri's.
Happy 4th!
-TT

Dutch guy in asia

Dutch guy in asia

Awards
Corona sucks, thankfully in Thailand they locked us down good and made us all wear masks. That way we got it under control, and now gyms are open again. Much better response then in the USA where the numbers are rising because the public did not want to wear masks / change their habits.

I hate the restrictions but on the other hand you can't expect things to be as normal until this thing is really under control. I also have a home gym so I am hit less by all of this. Too bad my shoulder took a hit and made me change my training program.

Ah well can't have it all.

I hope you get your shape back. I know what it is to start over and have stuff like injuries hold you back.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I don't know what happened here in Los Angeles. We were wearing masks, most the businesses were shut down, and it looked like things were under control. Then we had all the protests, the businesses opened back up, and now we have one big mess on our hands.
The health department is requiring gloves, and today was the first day of enforcement. The club didn't do a very good job of enforcing the new rules as about a quarter of the people there didn't have gloves.
I can get in 3 exercises within an hour and that's it. On my cardio day, I cheated and did some extra triceps exercises.
Tomorrow is legs. I think the Hoist leg press machine has been conquered, and I need to do some work with the plate loaded leg press. The nice thing about the Hoist machine is that it's only 300 pounds and I'm not going to hurt myself. This should translate to around 400 pounds on the plate-loaded machine, but you never know until you try it.
Thanks for your words of encouragement.
-TT

Dutch guy in asia

Dutch guy in asia

Awards
I just have been in similar problems as you starting over. Not as bad as with you. Currently inflamed tendon in the shoulder. First the right shoulder.. took ages to heal. Then now the righ shoulder. Problem is you can't do much with shoulder injuries. Thanfully its not that bad right now. So I just skip the DB press and use power hooks to mount the dumbbells for shoulder press.

Thankfully losing fat went faster then ever this time. I might actually reach my target before my cut is over. But what i hope for most of all is that my inflamed tendon heals so i can do all exercise again. Right now just doing a full body program up to 4 tmes a week. If my weight loss starts to stall I will add more cardio (want to keep that tool in the box till i need it)

So yea like you i know what it is to start over. It sucks. Unlike you I have no problems about working out as Ihave a home gym. Havent been tot he commercial gym i went to before as I am doing a full body and then I don't need all the machines. Just the dumbells and weights that i have. Got a powerrack and a lat pully, captains chair ect. With all the weights that go with it. So basically i can always train. Body just does not always agree with it.

I hope you keep going on too.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I sure wish I had a home gym setup, especially now. I'm finding that the fitness bands didn't work as well as I thought they were. Soreness does not mean progress.
I noticed that my left shoulder is pretty "crunchy" when I do shoulder press.
Today I worked on chest, shoulders, and tri's. After two full weeks of working out at the gym, I feel like I'm starting to make some progress. I'm starting to move into some heavier weights. This is very encouraging.
Virtually nobody is wearing their gloves. Starting Monday, masks AND gloves were mandatory for the gym, yet virtually nobody is complying.
Yes, it's unfortunate that I only get about 45 minutes of solid workout time, but it's sure nice to have a gym that's so empty. I rarely have to wait to get on the machine I want.
However, with so few people going to the gym, I wonder how much longer this place will stay in business.
Most of the personal trainers are gone.
-TT

Dutch guy in asia

Dutch guy in asia

Awards
Just be careful with your shoulder, i was pretty bullet proof for years im now 46. last year it all started. Now i do some corrective exercises and other stuff.

A home gym is nice but it can never be as stocked as a commercial gym. I am missing out a bit on leg machines. Other then that with a latpully (i have one) captains chair and a powerrack and 3 sets of adjustable Ironmaster Dumbels a olympic barbell and a special deadlift bar and plenty of weights i can do whatever i want.
(got some cardio stuff too)
Tonight going to train again. slowly my shoulder is improving. But it might take weeks still. At least i can still do most of the exercises. Will add rowing on my rowing machine when i take my shoulder can take it. To add to my cut.

Its encouraging to see progress still the more progress i see the more change i want :D

You are right to be worried about gyms staying open. If there are no people to pay for it.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
It looks like my gym has it capped at 167 people per hour, but I don't see anywhere near that many people showing up. It's more like about 20 people coming each time, if that. Weekends have been pretty dead since the re-opening.

Yesterday was leg day. The Hoist leg press was not a challenge. It's time to move on to the plate loaded leg press.
Today will be chest, tri's and shoulders.

I think I have some fluid retention issues. My legs were swollen yesterday, and it hurt to walk. This was all before my leg workout. Today, I doubled my magnesium supplements, cut back on my sodium, and upped my potassium intake. Let's see if that helps.

My blood pressure came up low the first time I measured it, and looked fine the next. Right now it's 110/71 with an irregular heart rate of 64, My heart is in A-Fib pretty much all the time now.

While I'm trying to figure out if my diet caused the issue with edema. I am eating Greek yogurt and high fiber cereal for the next day or so.

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I'm doing better, walking better. However, I have this bad feeling that the governor has shut the gyms down again.
I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Gyms are shut down again. I'm severely bummed out.
There has been no mention yet as to when the gyms might re-open.
According to a risk chart I found from the Texas medical association, going to a gym is worse than hugging somebody.
It is considered a high risk activity... an 8 on a scale of 1 to 9, with 1 being the act of opening the mail, and 9 going to a bar.
I registered today to put my name in the pool of folks willing to try out the covid vaccine in stage 3 trials.
I have covid fatigue. This is really getting old.
-TT

Dutch guy in asia

Dutch guy in asia

Awards
That sucks, I am grateful that in Thailand they closed us down fast and hard. Now we are past the covid situation for the main part. From a distance it just looked like the US did not take covid serious. Had they responded a bit more harsh and a bit more early things would have been a lot different.

Also happy i got a home gym but still bummed out with my shoulder. Seems to forever have some problems. I can exercise but not all of it. There is some pain sometimes but not even during exercise. I want to go full out again.

Checked the scales this morning.. im heavier then I thought but i look leaner. Might have gained some muscle but its hard to say. Still 7lbs to cut in 6 weeks (doable but hard as i came down a lot already).

I hope they open your gym soon but if not look at some body weight exercises no fun but anything to keep moving is good. Plus if your diet is good you wont gain much. I know its easy to say because i always screw my diet up when I dont exercise.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Los Angles is one of the stricter areas of the country, and we still managed to have quite an outbreak. I'm staying off the buses and trying to avoid everybody. I used to go to the grocery store every day, but now I only go three times a week.

Still no sign of re-opening in sight. The infection numbers are dropping, but I haven't heard anything on re-opening the gyms.
My gym implemented face masks and rubber gloves for all members, and limited the number of people working out.
They let people exercise for an hour, closed the gym, cleaned it for half an hour, then re-opened for the next batch of gym rats.
Other than checking our temperatures before entering the gym, and implementing some sort of negative pressure ventilation system, like you find in an airborne infectious disease management unit, I don't know what more can be done. No vaccine is expected for another year, from what I hear on TV. I haven't heard any thing back from the folks looking for guinea pigs.

I took a week off, except for some 7 mile walks, so it's back to the rubber bands and push-ups. I've got this ugly looking rash on the lower part of my leg. I hope I don't have a DVT blood clot. I take Xarelto.

-TT

Dutch guy in asia

Dutch guy in asia

Awards
Los Angles is one of the stricter areas of the country, and we still managed to have quite an outbreak. I'm staying off the buses and trying to avoid everybody. I used to go to the grocery store every day, but now I only go three times a week.

Still no sign of re-opening in sight. The infection numbers are dropping, but I haven't heard anything on re-opening the gyms.
My gym implemented face masks and rubber gloves for all members, and limited the number of people working out.
They let people exercise for an hour, closed the gym, cleaned it for half an hour, then re-opened for the next batch of gym rats.
Other than checking our temperatures before entering the gym, and implementing some sort of negative pressure ventilation system, like you find in an airborne infectious disease management unit, I don't know what more can be done. No vaccine is expected for another year, from what I hear on TV. I haven't heard any thing back from the folks looking for guinea pigs.

I took a week off, except for some 7 mile walks, so it's back to the rubber bands and push-ups. I've got this ugly looking rash on the lower part of my leg. I hope I don't have a DVT blood clot. I take Xarelto.

-TT
Seems like they are taking it quite seriously it sucks but its better then not doing anything.

Here they kept the borders closed so i probably wont see my parents this year. Good thing is that the virus is really under control. They are still strict but no new cases (ok i have my doubts about testing). Still its not bad.

I have been working out in my home gym not because of the virus but because I am in a cut and busy period work wise. I must say the results are quite nice. I need to drop more fat to be really lean but its going well. I wish i could go on and on this year without any problems. Seems like all i am doing is getting back to something i was before.

If my shoulder is healed i can have more fun training but for now its just cutting and keeping what i have.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
The gyms are still closed here.
I'm hearing that some gyms are opening if they move their equipment outside.
Yesterday it was around 107 degrees. I would not want to work outside in heat like this.
Nobody has contacted me about being a guinea pig for the vaccine either.
This is all very frustrating.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
The barber shops are open, but the gyms are still closed. Does this make any sense?
It was 115 degrees out yesterday, and we're expecting 118 today.
I think there are a few clubs offering outdoor workouts, but nothing near me.
I am looking into moving. It seems like the clubs down in San Diego are open.
I don't know why L.A. is being so difficult.
-TT

Dutch guy in asia

Dutch guy in asia

Awards
Gyms in Thailand open, because of the stringent lockdown before now things are better.

Now working out in a new gym (moved to the center of Bangkok). Must say it is nice to be in a gym with good aircon. My only beef is that there is no station for dips.

I hope things open up fast for you.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
This virus situation continues to amaze me. We have a 4-tier, 4 color COVID threat level system in place.
The only gyms open in Los Angeles right now, are ones where you can exercise outdoors.
Don't ask me what it will take for the gyms to re-open, as I don't think anybody knows.

Pretty much all my cardio now comes from my very long walks in the heat.
Tomorrow, I plan to walk about 9 miles in 104 degree heat to go see my doctor.
At least I'll get to do some treadmill work when I get there.

About the only improvement I've made over the past month, is to tighten up my diet.
I practically live off kale, turkey, and Greek yogurt now.

My supplements are still Centrum Silver, Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil, Glucosamine with MSM, potassium gluconate, and magnesium citrate.

I am currently using MyFitnessPal for counting my calories and macros.

-TT

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
@TINYTOAD

My blood is almost boiling reading that you’re without a gym in Los Angeles STILL !

This whole thing is completely political as damn near everyone has a gym back....

There has to be some underground gyms (like Fight Club )

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Los Angeles County is still under the "Widespread" tier for COVID cases.
Gyms can only open if they are outdoors. My gym is on the 2nd floor of a building, and I just don't see them moving the equipment down the stairs and out the door. We've been stuck with no gym now for 3 months straight, after having the gym open for about 3 weeks in June / July.

On a lighter note, my neighbor started taking BHB to lose his gut.
I can see that he's still eating like a horse. He just spent $199 on five bottles of Super Keto something or other.
He showed me the bottle and it had Calcium, Magnesium, and Sodium salts of BHB.
I think it would have been less expensive if he just cut down on his eating.

-TT