Starting Over

jim2509

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
Sorry to hear about your latest hurdle.....but you will overcome it.

Looks like you are making good headway with the cardio and using 'Swedish Speedplay' intervals is a fantastic way to get fitter. Have a look at Greg Doucettes You Tube stuff...he covers lots of topics and he's slightly mad which makes its worthwhile.

Defintately keep a training diary and this time next year you will be startled by the progress you will have made if consistent.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Putting the workout on hold for a couple days while the firefighters put out the fire. The fire's not far from the gym, and the air is just terrible right now. I went outside this morning, and started coughing.
I really like the Greg Doucettes videos.
Yeah, it's funny. I lived in L.A. 30 years ago. We had earthquakes, fires, and riots. I come back... we have earthquakes and fires. I'm waiting for the riots. It'll be just like old times. 😅
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Nothing new to report. I am just getting over back to back colds.
I've only been to the gym 4 times in the past 2 weeks.
I'm on the mend and plan to be back at it again this week.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Hit a major milestone for myself. I was able to jog for 30 minutes on the treadmill, non-stop, 4 mph.
Six months ago, I was riding in ambulances, being pushed in wheelchairs, and sitting in a hospital bed the rest of the time. I got my pacemaker, and started feeling better.
I've made a lot of progress, but I don't think I'm going to hit my goal of maxing out any machines by the end of the year. I guess that will be my next major milestone.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Still doing the 2 mile jogs on the treadmill non-stop.
I don't seem to be making any progress with the legs.
I'll know more as I track my sets. I'm writing everything down now.
I switched to a different rowing machine the other day, and was really happy with myself until I realized it was a 2 to 1 lever, and I was only pulling half the weight I do on the other machine.
I'm still taking it slow and steady so I don't injure myself.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
It was an exciting day at the gym. A fight broke out in the squat rack.
I may have been taking it a little too slow and steady with my leg extensions.
I wasn't moving up my weight, because of the burn I would get after 8 reps.
As it turns out, if I do 115, 150, or 175, they all burn after 8 reps.
I hope everybody had a nice Thanksgiving.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Right now, I'm in the process of setting up a spreadsheet to track my workouts and my progress.
I used to have a nifty statistics program called "minitab" but the license is $1795 now. No thanks!
I'll just figure out how to use whatever graphing or analysis is built in to Excel.
Typically, I do one warm-up set, followed by three regular sets. I may need to increase this a bit.
Even though I rest 2 minutes between upper body sets, and 3 minutes between legs, my strength is still falling off pretty quickly. Well, back to the spreadsheet...
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Things are coming along and I'm definitely progressing.
I'm now resting 3 minutes between sets, and it's helping.
As for my goal of maxing out the leg machines, I'm not there yet.
Glute: 155/170; Abduction: 250/260; Adduction: 250/260; Extension: 160/260; Curl140/260.
I think I can hit the fist 3, but leg curl is going to take me a while, if I am able to max it out at all.
Leg extension is a tricky one. I don't want to ruin my knee, so I'm taking it slow and steady.
The 3 minute rest between sets is allowing me to lift more weight and do more reps on subsequent sets.
Anyhow, I think I made a lot of good progress over the past 6 months, and look forward to making even more progress this coming year.
-TT

Harishusain

Harishusain

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I don't have a budget right now for any supplements to speak of.
Look into KSM 66 powder. Shouldn't set you back by much. All the best on your path back to glory! And to reiterate what everyone else has already said, too soon to dive into hormones IMO I'd give it a year or more being back in the game before considering it, you'll need a considerably bigger budget to roll with a cycle anyway so probably best left for a more convenient time in the future :)

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
My big purchase lately, was a jar of BCAA powder, unflavored. My only other supplements are a multivitimin, salmon oil, glucosamine/MSM, magnesium, potassium, and a scoop of WPI after my workout. As per my nutrition class, I take a vitamin E after I work out, as an anti-oxidant. A few years back, I also took super cissus. Until today, I had never heard of KSM 66, so thanks for the tip.
Right now, I'm making good progress. I really enjoy Greg Doucette's videos. I've changed up my workout as a direct result of his teachings, and am looking forward to a having a good year.
I wish everybody a successful year to come as well.
-TT

Dutch guy in asia

Dutch guy in asia

Awards
My big purchase lately, was a jar of BCAA powder, unflavored. My only other supplements are a multivitimin, salmon oil, glucosamine/MSM, magnesium, potassium, and a scoop of WPI after my workout. As per my nutrition class, I take a vitamin E after I work out, as an anti-oxidant. A few years back, I also took super cissus. Until today, I had never heard of KSM 66, so thanks for the tip.
Right now, I'm making good progress. I really enjoy Greg Doucette's videos. I've changed up my workout as a direct result of his teachings, and am looking forward to a having a good year.
I wish everybody a successful year to come as well.
-TT
Like you I changed things in 2011. The results are spectacular. I'm 45 and in the best shape ever. Bigger leaner and better then most.

I liked reading part of your oddesy. Keep it up and have a good year. Now for the first time in 8 years building muscle not leaning out. Though I am big and muscular. (My body type) I never did any bulk.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I did pretty well for the first couple of weeks of January, then I came down with a cold.
I take my blood pressure almost every day, and I watched it jump 20 points as I started taking Xyzal and NyQuil.
My strength dropped off a bit on a couple of exercises while I struggled with fatigue issues. I think I'm over the hump now, and am starting to feel better.
My workout data is going to get messed up a bit, as I decided to change gyms today. It was taking me way too long to get to my gym in Chatsworth and back. Now I'll be working out much closer to home.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Yes, changing gyms is a bit of a mess. It wouldn't be such a big deal if I had just been working out with free weights, but I've been pretty much exclusively using the selectorized machines since June.
To my surprise, different versions of machines from the same manufacturer don't even match up. For example, I was doing 160 pound leg extensions on a Life Fitness Insignia series equipment. Now I'm doing 190 pound leg extensions on some older Life Fitness at the new gym. I know I didn't just magically increase my leg strength that much in 3 days.
Some of their treadmills either need some work. I was jogging on one and the force of my foot coming down on the belt stopped it, and I almost fell. I don't usually use Precor treadmills, but that's what this place has.
I'll be back at the other gym tomorrow, to cancel my membership. As much as I liked the place, the commute back and forth is wasting too much of my time.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
'Still getting used to the new gym. Sometimes I wonder why some of these companies even bother to put the number of pounds you're supposedly lifting on the machine, when it can't possibly be right. My mid-row just jumped from 160 pounds on the LifeFitness to 237 pounds on the Hoist? Really? On the cable row, it's 115 pounds.
My nemesis, the Hoist selectorized chest press machine is at the new gym. That's the machine I injured myself on back in 2012, showing off. I'm very careful with this one especially. I'm only pushing 160 pounds where I once pushed about 300.
I'm been doing really well this year so far, except for my cardio. I told myself I'd be doing cardio a good four times a week, and I have not. I was jogging 3 miles per day for a while, then my right calf muscle knotted up and I stayed off it for a few days. I caught a cold, then haven't done any cardio since.
My strength took a dip yesterday. I had to drop 10% on my weights. Don't know why. The last time something like this happened, a came down with a nasty cold that hung on for weeks.
-TT

Dutch guy in asia

Dutch guy in asia

Awards
I hate cardio too. I always say I will but often dont.

I wonder why your so worried about weights. I mean once you figure out what is heavy you can use that.

The only times I worry about weights is when I do free weights.

Anyway good luck with your training.

Myself I'm a bit pissed off just recovered from injury on my right shoulder now my other one is messed up.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I hate cardio too. I always say I will but often dont.
I wonder why your so worried about weights. I mean once you figure out what is heavy you can use that.
The only times I worry about weights is when I do free weights.
Anyway good luck with your training.
Myself I'm a bit pissed off just recovered from injury on my right shoulder now my other one is messed up.
I keep track of the weight I use so I don't waste time reinventing the wheel, and also to avoid injury by putting on too much weight. The Hoist mid-row machine is now useless because as of yesterday I figured out that even doing the whole stack of allegedly 259 pounds is too light. I'm guessing the true weight is more like 130, and I need about 150.
It's just a cautious process I'm going through right now to get the right weight and not hurt myself on the new equipment.
I'll have it all figured out in another week, hopefully.
I still don't know what's going on with my right calf. It's a full inch larger in circumference than my left one, and still hurts for no good reason. I haven't done any jogging in a week now. I am just using a stationary bike for my warm-up.
Total travel time to and from gym now is about an hour now. Previously, it was 3 or more hours, so it would take a good 5 hours out of my day just to work out. Big improvement.
-TT

Dutch guy in asia

Dutch guy in asia

Awards
I keep track of the weight I use so I don't waste time reinventing the wheel, and also to avoid injury by putting on too much weight. The Hoist mid-row machine is now useless because as of yesterday I figured out that even doing the whole stack of allegedly 259 pounds is too light. I'm guessing the true weight is more like 130, and I need about 150.
It's just a cautious process I'm going through right now to get the right weight and not hurt myself on the new equipment.
I'll have it all figured out in another week, hopefully.
I still don't know what's going on with my right calf. It's a full inch larger in circumference than my left one, and still hurts for no good reason. I haven't done any jogging in a week now. I am just using a stationary bike for my warm-up.
Total travel time to and from gym now is about an hour now. Previously, it was 3 or more hours, so it would take a good 5 hours out of my day just to work out. Big improvement.
-TT
Sure I understand I keep track of weight too as not to injure myself and track progression.

My point was more that it would not take too long to get used to the new machines and knowing the weights.

With machines it's a bit harder then with free weights that is why I prefer free weights where possible.

Hard for legs and back ect.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
With all the rain and nonsense going on, I decided to take a four day deload.
I came back to the gym today, and it seemed like about 2/3 the people were gone. Virtually nobody was doing cardio.
I did my normal push day routine... Chest press, shoulder raise, dips, and flys. My chest strength seemed to go up.
For most of last month, I felt like garbage. I didn't want to do much of anything. I didn't want to go anywhere, but I continued to go to the gym. I seem to be snapping out of it now.
On the way home, I stopped by the store. In addition to having no toilet paper, Clorox wipes, Lysol, or hand sanitizer, now my store is running out of basic food. There were no eggs, no potatoes, virtually no meat, and no carrots. Crazy!
Hopefully people will come to their senses, the stores will re-stock, and life will go on.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Well, our mayor has decided to shut down all gyms until the end of the month, in light of the Coronavirus.
Of course, I don't think the gym is going to give me back half of my monthly dues.
I was wondering if anybody else, outside of Los Angeles was seeing this?
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Oh well, in light of all this coronavirus stuff, I guess I'll just have to get creative.
-TT