SNS show and tell featuring Valdez

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm here for the pants party... Wait what?

Just wanted to get in a quick introduction for those who do not know me...

I'm Valdez (like my sig says lol)...

I'm in school working on my bachelors in strength and conditioning. I have been an EMT for about 5 years, with that, researching and school I have a decent amount of knowledge about the body.

I'm also a full time firefighter and am interning with various strength and conditioning coaches. At my fire station 70% of the guys weigh 200 lbs plus and compete in the police and fire games power lifting.

My personal growth in the gym has been climbing from a meager 117 lbs to where I'm at today which is 186. Needless to say I'm well versed in working my ass off in and out of the gym to achieve my goals.

I'm one of you guys I just happen to be lucky enough to get compensated for it :D. I'm familiar with stuffing my face to gain weight, cutting to shred up, staying sober when people are drinking and their opinions of the obsession I have lol!

I have a lot more to say BUT I have to get back to studying so...

If any of you guys ever have any questions or need help with anything don't hesitate to ask. If I can't help you I'll find someone that can or the research to answer the question.

- Valdez (because its polite)

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Quality rep potential to the fullest. I was very happy you ended up with such a good team and company with products that you will appreciate more then most.

Mack411

Mack411

Awards
Nice intro man!so you told,now show :)

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Quality rep potential to the fullest. I was very happy you ended up with such a good team and company with products that you will appreciate more then most.
Wow, thanks dude. That was pretty heart felt lol... I need some Inhibit-E™ right about now lol!

- Valdez

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've never heard of a BS in S&C, care to extrapolate. Kinesiology going for CSCS?

What kind of training do you yourself?

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've never heard of a BS in S&C, care to extrapolate. Kinesiology going for CSCS?

Its the first year that the program is being offered... Its a BS in strength and conditioning (online) but yes I will also be challenging the CSCS exam upon graduation of the program.

Personally, I have done different workout schemes. Most recently I did about 6 months of blasting DC training. Currently, I'm going more towards functional training not really trying to gain anymore mass at this point. By functional I mean for my career. I do 4 core days as follows -

Legs - Leg press (rebounding from a strained back or else squats would be done) and whatever accessory lifts I choose.

Chest, tris - BB BP, dips and then accessory lifts.

Off

Shoulders - military press and then accessory lifts.

Back - dead lifts, pull ups, rowing movement and an accessory.

Off

Off

I do 4 exercises sometimes 5 total... Rep range on core lifts usually varies from 8-12. I also utilize rest pause sets more often than not. Every week I progress on my big lifts BP, leg press (squats when healthy), military press, deads, pull ups and rowing movementa. The accessory lifts are just icing on the cake. The lifts I do translate to helping me in and out of fires etc...

I also do HIIT and other endurance training 2-3x a week- running stairs, jump rope, punching bag etc...

I'm not really trying to get any bigger and stopped doing DC due to hard recovery with firefighter endurance training and gaining too much size. I'm only 5'8" and am currently 186 its starting to get uncomfortable on my little frame lol, plus when I put on my bunker gear I weigh that much more.

- Valdez

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not going for mass cause your already a monster for your weight! :)

You ever try doing dead lifts on leg day? I've been hearing more and more people claim it should be on leg day rather than back day. I've been doing them on leg day and man is it a good pain. Feels intense and almost passed out from doing squats back to back with dead lift but if you can make it through them you feel so accomplished!

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Its the first year that the program is being offered... Its a BS in strength and conditioning (online) but yes I will also be challenging the CSCS exam upon graduation of the program.

Personally, I have done different workout schemes. Most recently I did about 6 months of blasting DC training. Currently, I'm going more towards functional training not really trying to gain anymore mass at this point. By functional I mean for my career. I do 4 core days as follows -

Legs - Leg press (rebounding from a strained back or else squats would be done) and whatever accessory lifts I choose.

Chest, tris - BB BP, dips and then accessory lifts.

Off

Shoulders - military press and then accessory lifts.

Back - dead lifts, pull ups, rowing movement and an accessory.

Off

Off

I do 4 exercises sometimes 5 total... Rep range on core lifts usually varies from 8-12. I also utilize rest pause sets more often than not. Every week I progress on my big lifts BP, leg press (squats when healthy), military press, deads, pull ups and rowing movementa. The accessory lifts are just icing on the cake. The lifts I do translate to helping me in and out of fires etc...

I also do HIIT and other endurance training 2-3x a week- running stairs, jump rope, punching bag etc...

I'm not really trying to get any bigger and stopped doing DC due to hard recovery with firefighter endurance training and gaining too much size. I'm only 5'8" and am currently 186 its starting to get uncomfortable on my little frame lol, plus when I put on my bunker gear I weigh that much more.

- Valdez
Interesting, I'm Kines Exercise and Fitness myself, plan to take CSCS too.

Gotcha, thanks.

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

You ever try doing dead lifts on leg day? I've been hearing more and more people claim it should be on leg day rather than back day. I've been doing them on leg day and man is it a good pain. Feels intense and almost passed out from doing squats back to back with dead lift but if you can make it through them you feel so accomplished!
Deadlifts have their own day IMO. They are too fatiguing an exercise to not give them their own day, and then whatever accessory work you want. Squats after deads, or vice versa, one of them will be compromised.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Lol thanks bud! I don't know about a monster but I'm feeling good about my progress ;)

See below...

Interesting, I'm Kines Exercise and Fitness myself, plan to take CSCS too.

Gotcha, thanks.
No prob. If you don't mind me asking, where are you/did you get your degree?

Deadlifts have their own day IMO. They are too fatiguing an exercise to not give them their own day, and then whatever accessory work you want. Squats after deads, or vice versa, one of them will be compromised.
I agree with this right here LTL. Squats and deads are such a demanding movement that break down in form with one or the other will more than likely occur. Like Nomz said though, this is just IMO :)

- Valdez

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with you completely I just don't really care about the progression of my deads. It may sound odd by I do them just to get them done they've never been a crucial part of my routine. I can't ever really push too hard on them due to a past back injury that was aggravated about 6 months ago from pushing myself to hard on them.

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
3rd year at San Jose State, CA

LTL, depending on your goals, you may want to put more effort into them. Nothing beats deadlifts for lower back development.

What injury? I have scoliosis, strained my QL and erectors multiple times. Love deadlifts.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
3rd year at San Jose State, CA

LTL, depending on your goals, you may want to put more effort into them. Nothing beats deadlifts for lower back development.

What injury? I have scoliosis, strained my QL and erectors multiple times. Love deadlifts.
Damn man nice job working through that! I have disc problems that actually kept me on short term disability from work a few years back. The only pain killer that worked for me in the end was starting to hit the gym. Tried traction and all kinds of therapy and chiropractor work, came down to me needing surgery to repair multiple discs and in a last chance effort my doc told me to join a gym and start strengthening the rest of my back. Within 3 months of weight training I was able to go back to work nearly pain free and rarely have any issue now. Just a few tough days here and there. Hitting the gym literally saved my work life and overall life in general. I thought I was invincible before my injury and was completely humbled by disc pain.

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn man nice job working through that! I have disc problems that actually kept me on short term disability from work a few years back. The only pain killer that worked for me in the end was starting to hit the gym. Tried traction and all kinds of therapy and chiropractor work, came down to me needing surgery to repair multiple discs and in a last chance effort my doc told me to join a gym and start strengthening the rest of my back. Within 3 months of weight training I was able to go back to work nearly pain free and rarely have any issue now. Just a few tough days here and there. Hitting the gym literally saved my work life and overall life in general. I thought I was invincible before my injury and was completely humbled by disc pain.
Impressive man, nicely done.

I can understand the fear with disk problems and deadlifts, very different from soft tissue injuries.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Impressive man, nicely done.

I can understand the fear with disk problems and deadlifts, very different from soft tissue injuries.
Thanks, I was shocked that it worked. It not only helped my back but also led to me quitting smoking, cutting back almost entirely on pop, cutting down drinking alcohol and I no longer frequent fast food joints. The doctor completely hanged my life with the last suggestion he made and I'm very grateful. It's now 3 years later and I'm going H.A.M. as all hell! :)

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First off, welcome to the dream team!

My BS is in Health Care Science with an emphasis in S&C, but no degrees here specifically for S&C for us.

I give deads their own day. I call it never, lol!

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks Daddy lol!

Healthcare huh? Right on man I really enjoyed working in the ER as an EMT. Healthcare is a great field to have a degree in...

Secondly, deads are good for you.

And last, any word?

- Valdez

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks Daddy lol!Healthcare huh? Right on man I really enjoyed working in the ER as an EMT. Healthcare is a great field to have a degree in...Secondly, deads are good for you.And last, any word? - Valdez
lol! I will always hate deads. I know they're good but I still hate them. Hey, if my training partner can become a IFBB pro with never doing deads then I won't worry about doing them either! :D

Oh and...so long Colorado! I got my acceptance notification today! I start my DPT program in May.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lol! I will always hate deads. I know they're good but I still hate them. Hey, if my training partner can become a IFBB pro with never doing deads then I won't worry about doing them either! :D

Oh and...so long Colorado! I got my acceptance notification today! I start my DPT program in May.
That's good news man! Congratulations!!!! Hell yea! Where to next?

- Valdez

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's good news man! Congratulations!!!! Hell yea! Where to next?- Valdez
I will be moving to Florida by May, if that's what you're asking.-Daddy

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
Nice to see some more Kine backgrounds.

Congrats Valdez, SNS is awesome

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In with all the Kines bros. :D

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And another one! What's up brother?!

- Valdez
Missed this...just been hitting the weights and working. Not much time for anything else. ;)

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Missed this...just been hitting the weights and working. Not much time for anything else. ;)
No worries bro! I feel the same exact way!!!

- Valdez