Smith Machine, useful? or Towel rack?

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Just curious what you all think, my personal opinion is towel rack. I use the smith maybe 4-5 times a year for some ballistic benches or one legged squats but other than that I feel it's pretty detrimental to a workout. I'm not totally anti smith but I think a workout should not be centered around it, actually the Smith should never be more than an after thought, like any fixed machine the benefits are very small compared to the real thing.

So what do ya think?

whunterx

whunterx

Awards
I like it. I don't have a training parthner, and sometimes it's hard to get a spot. Like
you say, you should'nt base your chest workout around it, but it can be helpful at times.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
definately a towel rack, why use a machine when you can use free weights? :)

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
It definitely has its use, IMO. I like doing wide grip military presses as well as chest presses(when w/out spotter). My gym does not have a standing calf machine and it fills in nicely.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
It definitely has its uses, but I almost never use it. Like you said, it can be good for some experimental things, like one-armed plyometric training moves.

(OT, you are the Tetris master :bow28: )

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i use it to choke my bands on when i'm doing tricep pushdowns :)

phil216

Awards
  • Established
Very useful especially when you have no training with you. Better to be safe then sorry

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
Not a fan of it myself, but here's an interesting EC article entitled, "10 Uses for a Smith Machine (It's not just a coat rack)."

These exercises are aimed at athletes and improving flexibility, weakpoint training, and pre-hab/rehab. Nonetheless, it's a well written, entertaining article with a nice little video of each exercise.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=810548

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
Its good for people just getting into the game. Today at the gym I had run across the gym to get a bar off a guys chest lol maybe he should be using the smith :)

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Last edited:

FINAFINAFINA

Banned
Awards
The Smith Machine has many uses. A powerlifter may not enjoy them, however I have watched more than one professional bodybuilders use the Smith Machine to its fullest.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It definitely has its use, IMO. I like doing wide grip military presses as well as chest presses(when w/out spotter). My gym does not have a standing calf machine and it fills in nicely.
My shoulder is still pretty banged up from a labral injury, so I don't mind the smith every once in awhile for some BTN Military, just so I can add on some extra poundage without fear of reinjury..jmo

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
actually i read an article a couple weeks back explaining how bad the smith machine is for your shoulders, so better watch out

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The Smith Machine has many uses. A powerlifter may not enjoy them, however I have watched more than one professional bodybuilders use the Smith Machine to its fullest.
this is the powerlifting part of the forum :D

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
actually i read an article a couple weeks back explaining how bad the smith machine is for your shoulders, so better watch out
Because of this non-use of stabilizers? I never knew that before, do you have that article because I would most definitely be interested in reading it, I do not want another injury that's for sure...

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Because of this non-use of stabilizers? I never knew that before, do you have that article because I would most definitely be interested in reading it, I do not want another injury that's for sure...
i honestly dont know where it is, but i do remember it said because of the fixed motion it's not good for your shoulders

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I know this is the PL forum but,... I find the smith very usefull for ass to grass squats. I have had some problems with my lower back and left knee from prior injuries and the smith allows me to get a deep squat pain free. But I am no power lifter. :)

USAMM

Awards
Great machine! Don't have a spot? Still want to go kind of heavy? SMITH MACHINE TO THE RESCUE! Use it. Love it.

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
There aren't many seniors interested in powerliftinig so I usually have to go it alone. The Smith machine allows me to push myself to the max (I often use a Max OT style of training) without having a spotter. I am rehabbing a bad RC at the moment and I trust the controlled motion I get with the Smith. What I like to do is mix it up. While I am up to reps at 300 on the Smith (real weight about 275) I then do 6 plates for rack extensions on the Squat rack as a support exercise. I have little trouble switching back and forth because of the dual style of training.

*Bulldog*

Awards
I like it for Military Presses since I don't have a training partner. But that's all I use it for.

meowmeow

Awards
  • Established
I know this is the PL forum but,... I find the smith very usefull for ass to grass squats. I have had some problems with my lower back and left knee from prior injuries and the smith allows me to get a deep squat pain free. But I am no power lifter. :)
Damn...I find myself agreeing with more and more of your posts.:thumbsup: Ass to grass squats is exactly what I use it for and it has really built my glutes. The great thing about the Smith Machine for this is that you can slow the movement down for a TUT workout.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
If you happen to train DC style you will use it. In fact, It's a neccessity for certain lifts. I also have problems with my knees when squatting. I found that using the smith machine greatly reduces the pain in my knees when I squat.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i dont have a spotter and do most of my work in the rack, i just set the pins low enough so it doesnt interfere with my ROM but if i need to dump the weight the pins are there to same me.

i've just heard to many horror stories about people hurting there knees and lower back while doing squats in them, and shoulders when doing any kind of pressing movement with them. plus, if you look at the training logs of all the top plers, i have yet to see a smith machine used in any of there workouts.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone used the Jones Machine?

and no.. i'm not talking about that machine! :twisted:

http://www.bodycraft.com/ Just saw it when I was looking at links for gym equipment.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you happen to train DC style you will use it. In fact, It's a neccessity for certain lifts. I also have problems with my knees when squatting. I found that using the smith machine greatly reduces the pain in my knees when I squat.
Yeah, this is actually the other thing I use it for. I blew my knee while playing basketball when I was very young and this is the only way I can really get anything out of a squat

jdubz

Awards
I would much rather just lift in a power rack with safety catches. I hate the way the smith machine restricts motion and how my stabilizer muscles aren't having to work at all.

klugman

klugman

Awards
  • Established
I never use the smith machine.

I don't see the point. You can't use it at the meet.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, this is actually the other thing I use it for. I blew my knee while playing basketball when I was very young and this is the only way I can really get anything out of a squat
you'd be suprised, knee pain is mostly from form issues

Danl4560

Awards
I love the Smith machine, it keeps everyone out of the squat rack.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Not a fan of it myself, but here's an interesting EC article entitled, "10 Uses for a Smith Machine (It's not just a coat rack)."

These exercises are aimed at athletes and improving flexibility, weakpoint training, and pre-hab/rehab. Nonetheless, it's a well written, entertaining article with a nice little video of each exercise.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=810548

I saw that article a few weeks ago, nice twist on uses for the smith!

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
I love the Smith machine, it keeps everyone out of the squat rack.
That's what I'm talkin' about! We only have one Rack and 2 Smith's and that rack is always empty. Today some jokers were doing shrugs in the Smith:wtf: I guess that's the only way they could move 6 plates.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I used a squat rack today and the only way I could do heavier squats without my knees hurting was with wraps. Are using wraps detrimental to leg development? I had a wide stance, made sure not to allow my knees to go past my toes and went to parallel as best I could. I really tried to focus on form. I'd rather do free weight squats as opposed to smith squats, but I don't want to **** my knees up doing it. Suggestions, comments?

Danl4560

Awards
I used a squat rack today and the only way I could do heavier squats without my knees hurting was with wraps. Are using wraps detrimental to leg development? I hade a wide stance, made sure not to allow my knees to go past my toes and went to parallel as best I could. I really tried to focus on form. I'd rather do free weight squats as opposed to smith squats, but I don't want to **** my knees up doing it. Suggestions, comments?
If you need to use knee wraps, go for it. IMO, the difference it'll make in leg development is splitting hairs.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
I used a squat rack today and the only way I could do heavier squats without my knees hurting was with wraps. Are using wraps detrimental to leg development? I hade a wide stance, made sure not to allow my knees to go past my toes and went to parallel as best I could. I really tried to focus on form. I'd rather do free weight squats as opposed to smith squats, but I don't want to **** my knees up doing it. Suggestions, comments?
There's going to be a point where safety is the prime factor at that point you wrap your knees. The problem comes when wraps are relied upon consistently. i.e. if I'm doing speed squats or sets of 10-15 etc. The belt and wraps stay in the bag. If I'm doing heavy triples out come the wraps, If I'm going for a PR or super heavy doubles, out comes the suit and the belt.
I wouldn't worry about the knee over the foot thing, if your following good form it's not a factor. One of the biggest helps is to push your feet to the outside, this will keep your knees out. Another misconception is that going to deep is bad for your knees, when the opposite is true. Stopping a movement at half or 1/4 is more stressful to the joint than the full motion. If you don't believe this, try benching heavy(no boards or cheaters) stop at the halfway point as most do with squats. Do this continually for 4-6 weeks and let me know how your elbows are feeling. Anyway why do think most guys have little legs even though they say they squat? Well I always thought sweats sucked in the summer and I plan on making sure my Quads are bigger than my bis!

Ass to the Floor squats Rule!:bow28:

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Back to the ole' drawing board. Basso, where in SC are you located if you don't mind me asking?

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Sumter, are you in SC also?
If you really want some good squat tips http://www.elitefitnesssystems.com/ has several articles on squats. Dave Tate has one in there somewhere on basic form. Most are Powerlifting specific but you have to figure if a guy a can squat a truck he must know how to squat.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I used a squat rack today and the only way I could do heavier squats without my knees hurting was with wraps. Are using wraps detrimental to leg development? I had a wide stance, made sure not to allow my knees to go past my toes and went to parallel as best I could. I really tried to focus on form. I'd rather do free weight squats as opposed to smith squats, but I don't want to **** my knees up doing it. Suggestions, comments?
wrap those puppies up and wrap em tight. you really shouldnt be able to bend your knee without weight on your back if you wrap them right.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Sumter, are you in SC also?
If you really want some good squat tips http://www.elitefitnesssystems.com/ has several articles on squats. Dave Tate has one in there somewhere on basic form. Most are Powerlifting specific but you have to figure if a guy a can squat a truck he must know how to squat.
Greenville here. Thanks for the link.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
wrap those puppies up and wrap em tight. you really shouldnt be able to bend your knee without weight on your back if you wrap them right.
I love using the wraps. Just wanted to make sure it wouldn't hinder my leg development any. I don't care about PLing numbers, but I figure if you can squat a lot, your legs have to be big.

anadrol75

Awards
I'm in Greenville also. Oh sorry, with a Smith. But that is just my opinion.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Deep squats can be done a little safer.
This is were I think alot of you are moving into dangerous ground. The reason I don't like the Smith is because it is inherently more dangerous. Deep squats are probably the best example, when you are lifting a squat up the bar is fixed, it cannot move forward or rearward. When let's say you get a little leaned over or one knee falls in, etc your body will try to adjust and compensate with other muscle groups to take up the slack. In the Smith your out of luck, your knee gives way or your back, etc.

The Smith has it's uses, heavy lifting in a Smith is dumb and dangerous. But please go ahead and stay in the Smith, that way I know the Power Rack will always be free.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I'm in Greenville also. Oh sorry, with a Smith. But that is just my opinion.
Cool man. I work out at the new gym on Pelham Rd, Peak Fitness. Had worked out at Gold's/World Gym and Powerhouse before that though.

anadrol75

Awards
No ****! I work out at Peak Fitness. I hit it in the a.m. after work.