Slicin' and Dicin'

Six more posts in and concreted so far today. That puts me at about 30. I figure there's around 105 total. Aiming for an avg of six per weekend to be done by new years.

I'm gonna go dig some more holes before I call it a day. I've just been hitting Wilco ok Saturdays for 6 posts and 6 bags of concrete to keep the job manageable and consistent but I think next week I got a guy coming out to help me with a goal of 20 posts which would be one full side of the square I cleared. Once he does that, and I have these two sides done, basically only the front facing side left which will be the hardest cause we are gonna make it decorative with a trellis since it has to be tall enough to keep the deer out.

PXL_20260926_204331802.webp
 
I was doing some math yesterday and logging it with Claude. nearly 40 chickens butchered this year and we average anywhere from 8 to 12 eggs a day so figure about 3,000 eggs for the year. We didn't really "track" how much we pulled in vegetables so I had Claude assume well over 100lbs combined between the potatoes, tomatoes, zuchini, etc etc. Next year we are going to do a TON more potatoes but so far, AI assumes we harvested around 1800 meals off our land this year.

obviously for most of us, a serving of chicken is more than 3-4oz and 2 eggs is a starvation diet, but in a real world scenario of simply feeding people, it was cool to see these numbers. That's a real impact IMO! My wife told me that the grocery bill has been really low lately too since so much of it was home grown:

1790604199479.webp


I think once I get my fencing done I will probably pull some money from savings to build the barn rather than build it myself. Those pre-made sheds are just so cheap that the guys bring it to your location, set it up and leave the same day and the cost is basically what I'd probably spend building from scratch anyways. I have to keep it under 600 sq ft regardless to avoid permitting requirements so I'm just thinking big enough for like 2-3 stalls for chickens, quail, rabbits and maybe (or maybe not) goats or pigs. we are still on the fence with the goats and pigs...
 
That’s really cool….and that’s a satisfying feeling not only knowing that you saved and are saving all that money, but you guys are self sustained, and can truly say you live off of your land. 😎👍🐓🍅🥚🥩
 
I was doing some math yesterday and logging it with Claude. nearly 40 chickens butchered this year and we average anywhere from 8 to 12 eggs a day so figure about 3,000 eggs for the year. We didn't really "track" how much we pulled in vegetables so I had Claude assume well over 100lbs combined between the potatoes, tomatoes, zuchini, etc etc. Next year we are going to do a TON more potatoes but so far, AI assumes we harvested around 1800 meals off our land this year.

obviously for most of us, a serving of chicken is more than 3-4oz and 2 eggs is a starvation diet, but in a real world scenario of simply feeding people, it was cool to see these numbers. That's a real impact IMO! My wife told me that the grocery bill has been really low lately too since so much of it was home grown:

View attachment 263396

I think once I get my fencing done I will probably pull some money from savings to build the barn rather than build it myself. Those pre-made sheds are just so cheap that the guys bring it to your location, set it up and leave the same day and the cost is basically what I'd probably spend building from scratch anyways. I have to keep it under 600 sq ft regardless to avoid permitting requirements so I'm just thinking big enough for like 2-3 stalls for chickens, quail, rabbits and maybe (or maybe not) goats or pigs. we are still on the fence with the goats and pigs...
Yeah man those are some really cool stats and doesn’t get much better!
 
That’s really cool….and that’s a satisfying feeling not only knowing that you saved and are saving all that money, but you guys are self sustained, and can truly say you live off of your land. 😎👍🐓🍅🥚🥩

Yeah man those are some really cool stats and doesn’t get much better!

I often ask myself if I'd still do it if I won the lottery tomorrow and I think the answer is very much yes. It might be more organized and less cobbled together, but right now being our of season its about 'building' and then come feb my wife will be starting seeds and I'll be preparing for chickens. With any luck the vast majority of my hard work will be about May-July raising 100-200 chicks. checking in on them with food, water, and heat 2-4 times a day for 8-12 weeks. then a big hard weekend of processing birds. then all the sudden its just magically "done" and we go back to harvesting dinners and whatnot. August was a really interesting month for us because it was so 'chill'. so much of the hard work was done, the chickens already butchered and the garden just basically got water with occasional/daily vegetable harvesting. oh and eggs, we do get eggs once or twice a day but thats always kinda fun. Some days there could be 18! other days, 6-8. (usually 10-12 now) but you never know how many there will be, which nesting boxes they'll be in, or what colors they'll be so its kinda like peeking into the cracker jack box haha.


1790627179780.webp
 
I often ask myself if I'd still do it if I won the lottery tomorrow and I think the answer is very much yes. It might be more organized and less cobbled together, but right now being our of season its about 'building' and then come feb my wife will be starting seeds and I'll be preparing for chickens. With any luck the vast majority of my hard work will be about May-July raising 100-200 chicks. checking in on them with food, water, and heat 2-4 times a day for 8-12 weeks. then a big hard weekend of processing birds. then all the sudden its just magically "done" and we go back to harvesting dinners and whatnot. August was a really interesting month for us because it was so 'chill'. so much of the hard work was done, the chickens already butchered and the garden just basically got water with occasional/daily vegetable harvesting. oh and eggs, we do get eggs once or twice a day but thats always kinda fun. Some days there could be 18! other days, 6-8. (usually 10-12 now) but you never know how many there will be, which nesting boxes they'll be in, or what colors they'll be so its kinda like peeking into the cracker jack box haha.


View attachment 263404
I feel like bubba of Forrest Gump sometimes. Gas for breakfast,lunch, dinner. Hard boiled eggs for salads and snacks. Pickled eggs, deviled eggs etc 🤣
 
Bench
5 x 125, 160
3 x 190

3 x 220, 250
4 x 285 (PR city)

Joker
1 x 300

BBB
2 x 10 x 160 CGBP
2 x 10 x 160 Widegrip
1 x 10 x 160 paused
(This was no work at all today tbh)

Cable OH ext
3 x 20

Ez bar curls
2 x 10 x 70


Notes
Yes jokers returned lol. Just one, it moved very fast but it was a test to see how close 310+ might feel.

Never seen this pop up on the app before


Screenshot_20260928-164815.webp
Screenshot_20260928-171831.webp
 
I often ask myself if I'd still do it if I won the lottery tomorrow and I think the answer is very much yes. It might be more organized and less cobbled together, but right now being our of season its about 'building' and then come feb my wife will be starting seeds and I'll be preparing for chickens. With any luck the vast majority of my hard work will be about May-July raising 100-200 chicks. checking in on them with food, water, and heat 2-4 times a day for 8-12 weeks. then a big hard weekend of processing birds. then all the sudden its just magically "done" and we go back to harvesting dinners and whatnot. August was a really interesting month for us because it was so 'chill'. so much of the hard work was done, the chickens already butchered and the garden just basically got water with occasional/daily vegetable harvesting. oh and eggs, we do get eggs once or twice a day but thats always kinda fun. Some days there could be 18! other days, 6-8. (usually 10-12 now) but you never know how many there will be, which nesting boxes they'll be in, or what colors they'll be so its kinda like peeking into the cracker jack box haha.


View attachment 263404
Also to comment on the pre made barn setup. It’s really hard to beat the prices. I went back and forth on what to do and that’s why I settled on the steel building. I do the concrete and all that they put the building up and that’s completely sealed in, I can’t touch building it for what the price is. And it will be up in 4-6 days when it begins.
 
Bench
5 x 125, 160
3 x 190

3 x 220, 250
4 x 285 (PR city)

Joker
1 x 300

BBB
2 x 10 x 160 CGBP
2 x 10 x 160 Widegrip
1 x 10 x 160 paused
(This was no work at all today tbh)

Cable OH ext
3 x 20

Ez bar curls
2 x 10 x 70


Notes
Yes jokers returned lol. Just one, it moved very fast but it was a test to see how close 310+ might feel.

Never seen this pop up on the app before


View attachment 263407View attachment 263408
Great work and nice PR! See don’t do a cut! Keep the food going and get that juicy 3 wheel bench!!! Then after that cut away!
 
Bench
5 x 125, 160
3 x 190

3 x 220, 250
4 x 285 (PR city)

Joker
1 x 300

BBB
2 x 10 x 160 CGBP
2 x 10 x 160 Widegrip
1 x 10 x 160 paused
(This was no work at all today tbh)

Cable OH ext
3 x 20

Ez bar curls
2 x 10 x 70


Notes
Yes jokers returned lol. Just one, it moved very fast but it was a test to see how close 310+ might feel.

Never seen this pop up on the app before


View attachment 263407View attachment 263408
Yeah baby…..PR city up in here. Congrats on the PR, and I bet you’re at 315 or really close now.💪
 
Also to comment on the pre made barn setup. It’s really hard to beat the prices. I went back and forth on what to do and that’s why I settled on the steel building. I do the concrete and all that they put the building up and that’s completely sealed in, I can’t touch building it for what the price is. And it will be up in 4-6 days when it begins.

Yeah thats very much what I'm thinking, and mine will not be as big as the one you built, we can build I believe up to 600sq ft without a permit for an ag building so I'm leaning towards right about that, maybe a hair smaller. just big enough for like 3 stalls, feed, etc...

Great work and nice PR! See don’t do a cut! Keep the food going and get that juicy 3 wheel bench!!! Then after that cut away!

Yeah baby…..PR city up in here. Congrats on the PR, and I bet you’re at 315 or really close now.💪
Feels like its gotta be close!
 
I bet you are close, if you have not already surpassed it.
 
Squat
5 x 95, 140, 180
3 x 215

3 x 250, 285
5 x 320 (PR/reps)

BBB
4 x 5 x 180 low bar
1 x 5 x 180 high bar
(A2G, playing with slightly wider stance)

Adductor machine
4 sets
(Really felt the adductors needed assistance today)

Notes
Got up early today and post work session was a rough start. I told myself just get my three for RX and you're good but in the set I couldn't stop. Took 5 for the PR. Then instantly regretted racking it cause I know I had 6-7.

I had planned to hit my 531 and leave, thinking I should go easy on myself after back to back to back hard squat + deadlift sessions but I caught my reflection in the mirror and I am a little worried I might be an inch too high in the bottom position.

So I finished BBB with 5x5 so I could really focus on solid A2G form.

I often picture @Hyde s bottom position and really see that as a perfect squat, as far as humanly possible at least. Fantastic torso position under maximal loads. Knees/hinges in correct position, not caving in, depth no issue. So I picture that in my head often while practicing. No pancaking, no caved knees, no 1/3 squats. Good bounce out the hole, hip driiiiiiive.
Screenshot_20260929-160115.webp
 
Squat
5 x 95, 140, 180
3 x 215

3 x 250, 285
5 x 320 (PR/reps)

BBB
4 x 5 x 180 low bar
1 x 5 x 180 high bar
(A2G, playing with slightly wider stance)

Adductor machine
4 sets
(Really felt the adductors needed assistance today)

Notes
Got up early today and post work session was a rough start. I told myself just get my three for RX and you're good but in the set I couldn't stop. Took 5 for the PR. Then instantly regretted racking it cause I know I had 6-7.

I had planned to hit my 531 and leave, thinking I should go easy on myself after back to back to back hard squat + deadlift sessions but I caught my reflection in the mirror and I am a little worried I might be an inch too high in the bottom position.

So I finished BBB with 5x5 so I could really focus on solid A2G form.

I often picture @Hyde s bottom position and really see that as a perfect squat, as far as humanly possible at least. Fantastic torso position under maximal loads. Knees/hinges in correct position, not caving in, depth no issue. So I picture that in my head often while practicing. No pancaking, no caved knees, no 1/3 squats. Good bounce out the hole, hip driiiiiiive.View attachment 263441
Killing the PR’s man!

320 by 5 is awesome and even better yet you had more in the tank.

How much wider did you go on the stance?
 
Congrats on that PR and if you are bouncing out of the bottom on the squat you will get a lot more out of a small pause rather than using the stored energy to spring you out of the bottom.
 
down a bit today to 205.00 on the scale. I think my happy safe place right now would be 198. something sub 200 seems more manageable without sacrificing too many calories/size for strength training. its a bit harder to gauge cause my abs are washing out but not gone, and I can tell that a ton of the weight is coming in at the legs cause my slacks and boxer briefs are getting crazy tight in the quads. I wanted to snap a pic of how much my quads were popping last night in the shower but the third leg kept getting in the way.

I put on my suit coat the other day for that event I had down in oregon and the buttons fit fine across the stomach but the sleeves were WAY too tight in the arms lol so I skipped it.
 
Congrats on another PR….yeah when the clothes are tight in the shoulders, chest, arms and legs, but loose in the waist you’re doing something right.
 
Last edited:
Sounds like it’s about time to test out some 1RM PRs soon eh??

Doing great in here, finally caught up.

I go back and forth on some ideas.
Next week is week 3 of the 4 week 531 cycle.
Week 4/deload of this cycle (6th cycle) would be week one of age 44 for me.

So I've been thinking about taking week 3 as RX'd with singles, maybe doubles, but no insane AMRAPs then possibly attempting some new 1RM's on week 4, (my entry into age 44) pushing deload off to week 5 before starting over for cycle 7.
 
Sounds like it’s about time to test out some 1RM PRs soon eh??

Doing great in here, finally caught up.

I go back and forth on some ideas.
Next week is week 3 of the 4 week 531 cycle.
Week 4/deload of this cycle (6th cycle) would be week one of age 44 for me.

So I've been thinking about taking week 3 as RX'd with singles, maybe doubles, but no insane AMRAPs then possibly attempting some new 1RM's on week 4, (my entry into age 44) pushing deload off to week 5 before starting over for cycle 7.

FWIW, I'd expect to take some lifetime PRs on bench and possibly OHP if I properly warmed up to chase a new 1RM. its also possible with squats, but I'm not confident that my deadlift is in that 490-500lb realm yet which would be the next technical lifetime PR on pulls for me. 485 being my best off the ground, 500 from a low rack.
 
I go back and forth on some ideas.
Next week is week 3 of the 4 week 531 cycle.
Week 4/deload of this cycle (6th cycle) would be week one of age 44 for me.

So I've been thinking about taking week 3 as RX'd with singles, maybe doubles, but no insane AMRAPs then possibly attempting some new 1RM's on week 4, (my entry into age 44) pushing deload off to week 5 before starting over for cycle 7.
Go for it, I think you definitely have some PR's and this would set you up for a nice yearly PR attempt around your birthday which could be very cool.
 
Back
Top