Skim Milk and Insulin Spike?

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I usually add 1 cup of Skim Milk to my before bed shake, but it has 12g of sugar, should I be worried about getting an insulin spike from this before bed?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
it's my understanding that adding oats will slow down the absortion of the sugar.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The GI of skim milk is relatively low, but the insulin index is rather high. I would avoid this before bed unless you were trying to put on a good amount of size.

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, just stick to the oats. I would also use casein protein rather than whey for bedtime. Heh, well I say that... I don't use casein because I'm too lazy. It's ideal though. TwinLabs PM isn't bad.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I usually add 1 cup of Skim Milk to my before bed shake, but it has 12g of sugar, should I be worried about getting an insulin spike from this before bed?
Firstly milk has 12g of lactose; sugars are not all the same.

Secondly, the focus on insulin has been blown way out of proportion IMO. Insulin itself is not a cause but an effect. Just because a certain food raises insulin more than another does not necessarily make it good or bad. Cottage cheese seems to be higher on the insulin index yet it is frequently recommended as a nightime meal for its slow releasing protein. Insulin facilitates glucose metabolism, increases protein synthesis, and increases fat storage. The question is which is the insulin affecting the most - where are the nutrients actually going. Just because a food is high GI or Insulin index does not mean it will make you fat.

In short, there is no reason to avoid milk as long as it fits into your calorie and macronutrient plan (you do have a plan right?). It is a low GI whole food with some good nutrition.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
it's my understanding that adding oats will slow down the absortion of the sugar.
The GI of oats is higher than that of milk (50ish vs 32ish). The combined GI will be higher than 32 so I dont think there will be any slow down of glucose absorption.

Also, adding oats to the meal will increase the total calories and the glycemic load. Insulin levels would be even higher and the increased calories would further increase the probability of fat gain.

Now if he replaces some or all of the the milk with oats, calorie for calorie, then it's a different story. Both foods have good points - flip a coin.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
hood carb countdown milk has much less lactose. i think its 3g opposed to 12g. an even better option would be unsweetened almond milk. the kind i buy is 40 cals, 3g healthy fats from almonds and 2g carbs (1 of which is fiber). tastes awesome with protein powder.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The GI of oats is higher than that of milk (50ish vs 32ish). The combined GI will be higher than 32 so I dont think there will be any slow down of glucose absorption.

The added fiber content will help regulate and stabilize blood glucose.

Having said that, anyone worried about the insulin response of milk and/or oats is completely splitting hairs.

Ninjo

Ninjo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My wife is severely lactose intolerant so the only milk we buy is this really pricey "lactose free" skim milk. What I don't understand is that the nutritional information on the carton still indicates that a cup contains 8g of sugar. If lactose is usually the sugar present in milk, how can this milk be "lactose free" and still contain 8g of sugar? My head hurts.....

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i love skim milk i drink about two gallons of it a day not including meals. yumm

I also make damn sure i chug about half a gallon of it before bed.

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Is that all?! Geez man, that's for lightweights. I like to get a cow and set it next to my bed. I wake up in the middle of the night and just roll over and get an udder.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
The added fiber content will help regulate and stabilize blood glucose.

Having said that, anyone worried about the insulin response of milk and/or oats is completely splitting hairs.
its always reassuring to hear bobo chime in and confirm things like this

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
i love skim milk i drink about two gallons of it a day not including meals. yumm

I also make damn sure i chug about half a gallon of it before bed.
That's alot of milk dude. You must not hold water or bloat that easy. Myself on the other hand, I bloat VERY easy and it sucks.

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
lol You know that he was kidding. There's no way he drinks two gallons of milk a day. haha