Secrets of NASM - a Quest for Certification

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
nate, the difference between the NASM material & general exercise science (if you will) seems to me to be focus: NASM & OPT are strongly focused on rehabilitation & injury-prevention, so they're attentive to action etc. of even the smallest muscles. That's the stuff I had trouble with, and why I'm going to just start over (basically) - my knowledge of the body, musculo-skeletal system in particular - is pretty good, but is *still* insufficiently detailed to pass the test, so I'll try to get past my attitude & approach it with the understanding that I DON'T KNOW ENOUGH to pass the test on my own.

Can't wait to hear your impressions! :thumbsup:

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Got hired at a powerhouse a week after LA Fitness. Interviews lasted a week, that's why it took longer. Started looking for clients on saturday, actually a bit of work...be prepared. As an independent contractor you're responsible for generating clients. And, if you don't have extra time or money, it'll be a pain in the ass (like it is for me now).

LA Fitness $15/hr is sounding better about now :( lol..

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
nate, the difference between the NASM material & general exercise science (if you will) seems to me to be focus: NASM & OPT are strongly focused on rehabilitation & injury-prevention, so they're attentive to action etc. of even the smallest muscles. That's the stuff I had trouble with, and why I'm going to just start over (basically) - my knowledge of the body, musculo-skeletal system in particular - is pretty good, but is *still* insufficiently detailed to pass the test, so I'll try to get past my attitude & approach it with the understanding that I DON'T KNOW ENOUGH to pass the test on my own.

Can't wait to hear your impressions! :thumbsup:
Yeah, you definitley have to go through the material.

I don't think i'm dumb by any means and I didn't know everything off the top of my head. Most people lie when they say they can pass the test without reading.

mpkonig

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
hi....i have a few questions about the cert classes from ISSA and NASM (since these seem to be the best 2 certs around)

1) you can go into these courses without prior schooling...correct?? from what ive been reading through...it doesnt state that you need prior schooling

2) Which one is actually better.....i know its like apples to oranges....i want one that has the highest chance of getting me hired

if someone could help me out.....i know ISSA has online courses now which would help me out at the moment in my situation...but i would like some other info from people that have gone through the certs..

It Seems that ISSA has alot more courses to choose from...i only see 1 from NASM...and im interested in doing the multiple certs....like Nutritionalist and stuff like that....i

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
hi....i have a few questions about the cert classes from ISSA and NASM (since these seem to be the best 2 certs around)

1) you can go into these courses without prior schooling...correct?? from what ive been reading through...it doesnt state that you need prior schooling
None needed.
2) Which one is actually better.....i know its like apples to oranges....i want one that has the highest chance of getting me hired
Then go ask local clubs which certs they prefer. Not all clubs prefer the same certs.

if someone could help me out.....i know ISSA has online courses now which would help me out at the moment in my situation...but i would like some other info from people that have gone through the certs..

It Seems that ISSA has alot more courses to choose from...i only see 1 from NASM...and im interested in doing the multiple certs....like Nutritionalist and stuff like that....i
ISSA is generally a safe bet.

mpkonig

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
ok...ive been doing some research and talking to my uncle's personal trainer......and from what i was told...these certifications are highly recommened

ACSM- American College of Sports Medicine

AFAA- American Fitness and Aerobics Association

Also was told that ISSA wasnt too good because their trainers dont seem to much In-Depth knowledge that they should have and NASM wasnt even mentioned...so....does anyone have any feedback??

Atlas

Awards
Actually in my opinion the top 3 would be ACSM, NSCA, and NASM, in no particular order. ISSA is full of great info, but many just take it online as an open book test or they have a friend take it for them. No matter though, I may go with it. Like it has been said before, the cert really doesn't mean much in the begining, it's more about getting your foot in the door and building your name!

mpkonig

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Actually in my opinion the top 3 would be ACSM, NSCA, and NASM, in no particular order. ISSA is full of great info, but many just take it online as an open book test or they have a friend take it for them. No matter though, I may go with it. Like it has been said before, the cert really doesn't mean much in the begining, it's more about getting your foot in the door and building your name!
thanks for the info....the more im reading and researching.....the more im leaning towards ACSM and the sports medicine aspect of the personal training field

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Also was told that ISSA wasnt too good because their trainers dont seem to much In-Depth knowledge that they should have and NASM wasnt even mentioned.
None of the trainers will have in-depth knowledge unless they really want it. There is pretty good info in the ISSA text and the major problem is the online test option.

I know plenty of trainers and certification is the last thing that seems to make a difference. On top of that, gyms don't seem to care much from my experience. E.G. My gym gives 5% increase in commission on ACSM and similar certifications...that's it. We all know a cert isn't going to make anyone.

mpkonig

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
None of the trainers will have in-depth knowledge unless they really want it. There is pretty good info in the ISSA text and the major problem is the online test option.

I know plenty of trainers and certification is the last thing that seems to make a difference. On top of that, gyms don't seem to care much from my experience. E.G. My gym gives 5% increase in commission on ACSM and similar certifications...that's it. We all know a cert isn't going to make anyone.

I understand that.....just want to max out my chances of "getting my foot in the door" like ATLAS said....get a solid job to build my rep and clientel.....and then start school to get my physical therapy degree.....thank you for th info...and please dont think i was knocking your ISSA cert...i was just relaying info that i was told by a few different sources..thats all....i respect and look up to all you guys that are doing this for a living and living the lifestyle .....because its starting to become the path less traveled....everyone is so interested in sitting on their asses in front of a computer and not worrying about their heath.....but you know what im talking about so.....thanks again to everyone and i appreciate the replies

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Oh, yeah, I wasn't thinking you were knocking the cert :D lol....no worries. Just explaining that the certification you have really is a minor factor as long as its well-known enough to get you hired.

On a side note, DON'T START AT A NEW GYM! I got hired on at a new gym as a part-time trainer...bad move! All of the full-timers just rape me of clients. I have nothing and the rest of them are out of shape and a bit "uninformed". *sigh* I even heard one trainer, in a seminar she gave to 30 or so women, tell her audience that "Physicians really aren't the best people to go to for fitness nutrition advice (which is true)...afterall they don't get anatomy and physiology." ROFL, WTF!? Doctors without A&P classes...haha.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
the powerhouse acrosss town starts people at around $35/hr, so that's much better.
Hey Kwycke, is that per hour (as you wrote) or per session? If it's per hour, I'm getting certified NEXT WEEK!!!

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
For anyone that has completed the NASM certification, how similar was the online practice quiz to the actual test? I am preparing to take the final examination tomorrow at noon, hopefully all goes well!

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
well show back up & tell us how you did, okay?
cnagrats, dude - ya beat me to it!

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
Hell yeah I passed that hooker!! The final test had alot of the same questions that the online quiz had, and if they were not the same they were very similar in the content they covered.

I am so relieved to get this over with, I bought the kit back in march, had until like July 3rd to finish it, well I kept procrastinating and putting off the studying for like 6 weeks after I bought it, then I finally had 1 week where my school work load dropped alot, and in 5 days read the ~700pg book and answered all the questions to the study guide. That was about 2 weeks ago. Then all of this monday and part of tuesday I watched the videos, talk about freakin boring! So put all the studying together into about 7 days, it would be possible to do less if you have alot of free time, but those videos take up alot of time, 7 videos and each one ranges from 1hr 45min to 2hr 30min

If I were to do it over again, I would probably do the studying the same way, compact it all together and not drag it out too much and start withing 2-3 weeks of when you plan to take the test. Watching all those videos in a period of 2 days sucked (I dont even like watching normal movies though...) but I think watching those videos all at once and so close to when I took the test helped in remembering alot of the little things.

The parts I had trouble with was just what muscles in the lumbo-pelvic complex postural distortion and lower extremeties postural distortions were weak and which were tight. All the upper body muscles were pretty easy for me to figure out, but when they are asking what muscle is tight when you are flat footed: anterior tibialis, posterior tibialis, peroneals, soleus- something like that to choose from, I would just mimick the positions they talked about and would feel those muscles to see which felt to be what they were asking for. They also tried to word the questions kind of tricky, there were a couple times when I went back through all the questions I realized I misinterpreted the question wrong because I was going through it so fast.

I dont know how much of this information was really that helpful, I learned alot of exercises for the core and stabilization that would probably be helpful in training completely out of shape people and old people, and learned a whole bunch of super gay exercises I wouldnt get caught seen performing! For my own training I didnt hardly learn anything that was very applicable to what I want or didnt already know, but if I would have taken that test without studying for it, I would have bombed it horribly.

ryano

Awards
  • Established
Good for you. I really wanted to buy the materials this summer for the nasm but Looks like my funds will be a little tight. BW is too busy with the ladies to get any study done!

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
I would protest, but I'd have to make some ****e up....

"the US southeast has not suddenly become seismically unstable - that's just us having fun!"

I mean, what can one do, when one's woman sez "I come just feeling you breathe"...(no, I didn't make that up).

Congrats, Nate - I *will* catch up with you...real soon now!
(...did I ever compliment you on yer smokin' avatar?)

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Hell yeah I passed that hooker!! The final test had alot of the same questions that the online quiz had, and if they were not the same they were very similar in the content they covered.

I am so relieved to get this over with, I bought the kit back in march, had until like July 3rd to finish it, well I kept procrastinating and putting off the studying for like 6 weeks after I bought it, then I finally had 1 week where my school work load dropped alot, and in 5 days read the ~700pg book and answered all the questions to the study guide. That was about 2 weeks ago. Then all of this monday and part of tuesday I watched the videos, talk about freakin boring! So put all the studying together into about 7 days, it would be possible to do less if you have alot of free time, but those videos take up alot of time, 7 videos and each one ranges from 1hr 45min to 2hr 30min

If I were to do it over again, I would probably do the studying the same way, compact it all together and not drag it out too much and start withing 2-3 weeks of when you plan to take the test. Watching all those videos in a period of 2 days sucked (I dont even like watching normal movies though...) but I think watching those videos all at once and so close to when I took the test helped in remembering alot of the little things.

The parts I had trouble with was just what muscles in the lumbo-pelvic complex postural distortion and lower extremeties postural distortions were weak and which were tight. All the upper body muscles were pretty easy for me to figure out, but when they are asking what muscle is tight when you are flat footed: anterior tibialis, posterior tibialis, peroneals, soleus- something like that to choose from, I would just mimick the positions they talked about and would feel those muscles to see which felt to be what they were asking for. They also tried to word the questions kind of tricky, there were a couple times when I went back through all the questions I realized I misinterpreted the question wrong because I was going through it so fast.

I dont know how much of this information was really that helpful, I learned alot of exercises for the core and stabilization that would probably be helpful in training completely out of shape people and old people, and learned a whole bunch of super gay exercises I wouldnt get caught seen performing! For my own training I didnt hardly learn anything that was very applicable to what I want or didnt already know, but if I would have taken that test without studying for it, I would have bombed it horribly.

I agree. I'm NASM certified and without reading the material I would have gotten a 20 on the test. Believe it or not the exercises are very useful for the average joe. I dont incorporate much in terms of bosu balls, foam rollers, ect...in my workout but for people who are deconditioned it's really helps them out. When you can train someone who's been suffering from back pain for 5 years and after a few weeks of core work they tell you the pain is gone you realize how important these muscle are.

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
Bodywizard- I dont blame you at all for the girls! Damn, I wouldnt be getting anything done if I had one around like the one you are talking about lol. I would just recommend taking the test as soon as possible after finishing the studying so everything is fresh.

Jminis- I agree that the training would be great for those just trying to get in shape and have a higher quality of life, and realistically thats what most individuals want from their training, not as many that are trying to be as big/strong as they possibly can be.

ryano

Awards
  • Established
I mean, what can one do, when one's woman sez "I come just feeling you breathe"...(no, I didn't make that up).

Get the f*#$! outt here...:nutkick: Im going to breathe on this chick next to me at work wish me luck!

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Back from the dead!

Can you believe I haven't given up yet? It's a useful thing to know about oneself....

So: the short version is, I'm still in the running, and am plowing through the book, underlining like mad & taking notes aplenty - also cross-referencing w/ other A&P / H&F texts as I go. I'm under the gun now: I've used up all my extensions, so it's complete and pass by 5/15, or lose what I've put into the effort (and THAT's not gonna happen).

I'm now on Chapter 5, which is "Fitness Assessment" - long chapter, and mostly covered by the OPT workshop I took a while back, but it all makes sense to me, it's just a matter of keeping their terminology straightened out & in-mind. Good news is, if I complete 1 chapter per week, I'll test in time; I'm averaging 3 chapters per week, so all is good.

Following Nate's example, I'm saving the vids for when I've completed the text, at which point I'll burn through 'em, take the online, clean up any sloppy or missing bits, then schedule my exam.

New item: the cert now requires AED (those new emergency defibrilators) as well as CPR, effective March - this will apply to anyone who testsor re-certifies after March.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
hey, Nate! how's the PT coming for you? Working yet? Club or private? Meeting your needs or are you doing the dual-income thing?

(on a related note, what region are you in?)

ryano

Awards
  • Established
It seems like everyone has been plowing through all the material pretty quickly. How is the actual content. Do you feel like the material is good. Have you been actually learning some cool stuff?

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
yeah, I feel like the content is real good, just particular about small stuff - I thought massage school had given me a pretty good base of musculoskeletal anatomy, but NASM is more detailed, and more punctilious about terminology.

As I think I said before, the "unique" thing is their emphasis on overcoming postural/structural/muscular imbalances, and on establishing a solid foundation before beginning any kind of body building or strength training. Having brought myself back from the completely-deconditioned bag of fat & bones I used to be, I know how useful - even essential - that step is.

No doubts at all that I picked the right one. NCSC may be the next horizon, but I'm good with where I'm starting.

Good to hear from you, Ryan (btw: how's your dad?)

ryano

Awards
  • Established
yeah, I feel like the content is real good, just particular about small stuff - I thought massage school had given me a pretty good base of musculoskeletal anatomy, but NASM is more detailed, and more punctilious about terminology.

As I think I said before, the "unique" thing is their emphasis on overcoming postural/structural/muscular imbalances, and on establishing a solid foundation before beginning any kind of body building or strength training. Having brought myself back from the completely-deconditioned bag of fat & bones I used to be, I know how useful - even essential - that step is.

No doubts at all that I picked the right one. NCSC may be the next horizon, but I'm good with where I'm starting.

Good to hear from you, Ryan (btw: how's your dad?)

Dont want to hijack or off topic but my father past away in July.
His liver finally gave out on him and everything shut down. But he was surrounded by family when he passed and seemed to go without too much pain or struggle. His battle with alcoholism is over and he is not suffering anymore.

Im glad you going to finish this BW...Im excited for you. Time and money is a little tight now this is not a priority for me right now. Hopefully this spring or summer when things calm down I can go after this. Still trying to get back into school. Everytime things seem to relax a little something seems to always pop up.

mm107

Awards
thank god my buddy just passed the test...so i get all his books/videos free now =]

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
(*drumroll*)

I passed - took the test yesterday.
(thought I'd forgotten, didn't you?)

Must say, I was substantially over-prepared.

NASM has revamped their materials and their test (I took the old test), so we need new information on what they're doing now.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
nasm taught me the importance of flexibility and muscle balance. For that it was life changing and definitely worth the money. I'm up for re-cert on my CPT in 90 days.